or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New video again shows off supposed plastic Apple iPhone case

New video again shows off supposed plastic Apple iPhone case - Page 2

post #41 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

This cnet writer is lying.  He said he gets 10 hours of web browsing with the original nexus 7.  Google said the new nexus 7 gets one more hour of web browsing at 10 hours.  The Android world is full of dishonest people.
http://www.zdnet.com/why-the-nexus-7-is-winning-my-heart-and-replacing-my-ipad-7000017947/

Agreed!

First clue:

"I like Android. In fact, I really like Android. It's smooth, it's fast, and it's fluid, and, to borrow an Appleism, it "just works.""

As someone who is experimenting with Android I can state that this is pure B. S.

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

post #42 of 79
1) Why are the button holes not cut out, but the case already has been printed on?

2) Why is the logo and product name on there, but not the FCC stuff?

3) Where's the front? The front is not entirely a display, and I would presume the need for making the front case at the same time as well as the back.
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
post #43 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

Agreed!

First clue:

"I like Android. In fact, I really like Android. It's smooth, it's fast, and it's fluid, and, to borrow an Appleism, it "just works.""

As someone who is experimenting with Android I can state that this is pure B. S.

His comment about WiFi "just working" and not needing to mess with updates every time he turns it on is asinine. 

I never have to fiddle with my iPad. I leave WiFi on at all times, and I'm never forced to update things when I wake it up.

post #44 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Doesn't sound smart at all.
You like the 3.5" screen?
post #45 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett Ruess View Post

You like the 3.5" screen?

I like a screen that can be used in one hand. I like the idea of only making phones with a single screen size. Combine 'em! 1biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #46 of 79
Quote:

I like a screen that can be used in one hand. I like the idea of only making phones with a single screen size. Combine 'em! 1biggrin.gif

I felt the same way, but when I borrow a friend's 5, it feels much more useful. 

post #47 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

I felt the same way, but when I borrow a friend's 5, it feels much more useful. 

Do you mean your friend's iPhone 5 or a 5" phone? 

I own an iPhone 5 but get to use my friends S4 and HTC One quite a lot and it is just so much nicer to have that big screen to look at which makes me a bit jealous and on the fence if I will switch or not this year. I am waiting to see what the 5S offers before I decide but for me screen size will probably trump iOS 7 or anything else. 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

post #48 of 79
Quote:

I get multiple screen sizes creates multiple headaches but didn't Apple just report China iPad mini sales up, iPhone sales down? It seems to me Chinese as well as a lot of others on a tight budget may respond well to an all in 1 phablet
post #49 of 79
Quote:

I get multiple screen sizes creates multiple headaches but didn't Apple just report China iPad mini sales up, iPhone sales down? It seems to me Chinese as well as a lot of others on a tight budget may respond well to an all in 1 phablet

Bingo you get a prize. But also don't forget the rapidly aging population in 1st world countries. For most people once you hit 40 eyesight can be a big issue and a larger screen just makes it a far better experience. even people with perfect vision can  prefer a larger display for any variety of reasons. Choice is a good thing.

post #50 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by macart View Post

The current iPhone is beautiful, but like most people, I have to keep mine in a case to protect it, so who cares!

The case doubles the thickness, looks like crap but its necessary.

Yep. I've never used a case before the 5. And I hate it on the 5. Like completely. But the 5 is too light, too slippery and too fragile to not encase it in Carbonite. Here's hoping for liquidmetal and sapphire!
post #51 of 79
Quote:

Oh, nothing. But then turning right around and just causing the same problem again? I don't get it.

I don't either.   People also conveniently forget that there were more reasons to go from 3.5" to 4" than just the mythical, never proven desire of customers for larger screens.  Specifically, it solved the problem of the black bars by standardising on a very common aspect ratio for media, and it did so without engendering any of the problems of fingers being able to reach all areas of the screen by means of the same aspect ratio change. 
Changing from a 4" to a 5" screen would not have those advantages or be based on that same reasoning. 

Going larger still, to get the advantages of a phablet form-factor, wouldn't make much sense because you'd still have to run iPhone software not iPad software due to the aspect ratio being wrong.  It would make more sense for Apple to eventually make an even smaller iPad (iPad nano?) with a stylus than it would for them to make a humongous phone because the software would be better and the stylus would explain and help alleviate problems with the small size of the touch targets. 
post #52 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Bingo you get a prize. But also don't forget the rapidly aging population in 1st world countries. For most people once you hit 40 eyesight can be a big issue and a larger screen just makes it a far better experience. even people with perfect vision can  prefer a larger display for any variety of reasons. Choice is a good thing.
I really want a 5" to 6" phone myself, probably not enough to switch to Android, especially with iOS 7 coming
post #53 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

$449 would still be way too high. You might as well not make it for that price, because you're just undercutting your existing phone offerings while not attracting any new customers. If it's not $199, it won't sell to the low-end market that they are allegedly trying to reach. 

I dont think Apple can put the internals for iOS7 in a $200 phone.  Think of this has rich market mid-range and emerging markets high end. Currently, the iphones are only for emerging market very rich folks. At $400 unlock, it will become in reach of a lot more people.

Granted its still too expensive for 70% of the emerging markets population. But it should be in reach of 30% which is better than the actual 1% - 5%.  And rich markets that need unlock phones will see a lot of growth imo.

post #54 of 79
Quote:

It seems to me Chinese as well as a lot of others on a tight budget may respond well to an all in 1 phablet

What makes you think Apple would ever make one?

post #55 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

for me its not only a matter on eyesight, I want a 5"+ screen for texting, apps and web browsing. Texting is just plain horrible on the iphones, screen is way to small. Also I dont want to buy and carry a range of devices, 5" to 6" would be the perfect choice to me for a carry around device.

Choice is a good thing indeed. Bit I dont want Apple to spread all over the place, just a few models of each products that all run the latest iOS.

post #56 of 79
Quote:

imo, multiple screen size is easy.  Current resolution on mid range phones, and 1080p on the 4" high end phone and the phablet. On a bonus, you get Apple Tv optimized apps.  There you go, 2 resolutions: iphones, phablet and the TV.  The 4" would be alittle overkill on PPI, but who cares, wont matter on IGZO panels.

post #57 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

for me its not only a matter on eyesight, I want a 5"+ screen for texting, apps and web browsing. Texting is just plain horrible on the iphones, screen is way to small. Also I dont want to buy and carry a range of devices, 5" to 6" would be the perfect choice to me for a carry around device.

Choice is a good thing indeed. Bit I dont want Apple to spread all over the place, just a few models of each products that all run the latest iOS.

Absolutely. Texting is horrible. I would love to have a larger keyboard that also includes the number keys and other symbols. Games, web browsing, videos, well pretty much any app just looks better on a larger display.

I agree they shouldn't be all over the place. Just have 2 sizes of 4" and somewhere around 5". Developers will moan and groan a little bit like they did when resolutions have changed in the past but they will get over it and adapt their apps very quickly. 

post #58 of 79
Quote:

Plastic is re-cyclable...  and it takes less energie than reclycling glass and aluminum.

Wow, way to be completely wrong.  Aluminum requires the least energy to recycle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recycling#Cost.E2.80.93benefit_analysis

post #59 of 79
Quote:

imo, multiple screen size is easy.  Current resolution on mid range phones, and 1080p on the 4" high end phone and the phablet. On a bonus, you get Apple Tv optimized apps.  There you go, 2 resolutions: iphones, phablet and the TV.  The 4" would be alittle overkill on PPI, but who cares, wont matter on IGZO panels.

Why is everyone obsessed with 1080p? It's not the end-all be-all of resolutions.

Also, "AppleTV optimized" would mean more than just resolution. You also have to think functionality-wise. 

AppleTV apps should be different than (but synergistic with) other iOS apps. The same as iPad specific apps are different, and utilize the form factor to their advantage. Likely they would be coded as Universal, so all versions are included in one download.

post #60 of 79
Quote:

You didn't need to bother. We all know that only things you approve are smart or good. The only arbiters of what constitutes a good idea for Apple are Tim Cook, Jony Ive and you.

post #61 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

You didn't need to bother. We all know that only things you approve are smart or good. The only arbiters of what constitutes a good idea for Apple are Tim Cook, Jony Ive and you.

Thanks for not reading the posts or thread.

post #62 of 79
Quote:

I like a screen that can be used in one hand.

But you're not going to buy one no matter WHAT size they make it, so why do you care? You already HAVE a phone that can be used in one hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I like the idea of only making phones with a single screen size.

Do you, or do you dislike the idea of developers having to accommodate more than one screen size? If that's the case, the issue is not really screen size since we now have iPads too, but rather the need to move towards a resolution independent model for iOS. No small task I'm sure, but it would certainly be worth the effort.

If that's NOT the real issue, why on Earth would you care whether or not Apple makes another version of the phone in a form that some of us like better than what they make now?

I'm still using a pre-S iP4 because I won't pay $800 for a phone that doesn't offer the feature I want most and I don't want an Android. I wonder if there are others like me?

post #63 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

But you're not going to buy one no matter WHAT size they make it, so why do you care?

lol. And you'll never be promoted, either. See, I can say pointless things, too.
Quote:
Do you, or do you dislike the idea of developers having to accommodate more than one screen size?

Both, really. Where's the point in further pixel differentiation on a phone? Make them all the same resolution, which means the same size.

post #64 of 79
Quote:

What isn't smart about it?
post #65 of 79
Quote:

What makes you think they never will?

They were never going to make a mini too as I recall.
post #66 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Stig View Post

What isn't smart about it?

Already covered…
Quote:

What makes you think they will?

Not much to be recalled.

post #67 of 79
Quote:

Already covered…
What makes you think they will?

Not much to be recalled.

A contradiction is not an answer. Go away if you can't back up or answer a question.
post #68 of 79
Quote:

A contradiction is not an answer.

Hey, enjoy, then. I'm sticking around.

post #69 of 79
Quote:

Hey, enjoy, then. I'm sticking around.

post #70 of 79
Quote:

The current iPhone is beautiful, but like most people, I have to keep mine in a case to protect it, so who cares!

Well you don't HAVE TO keep it in a case. I don't keep my while one in a case and aside from a few extremely tiny nicks in the chamfer it still looks mint. All it takes is a little bit of care.

post #71 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Quote:

Well you don't HAVE TO keep it in a case. I don't keep my while one in a case and aside from a few extremely tiny nicks in the chamfer it still looks mint. All it takes is a little bit of care.

Indeed, cases aren't mandatory. Though I did drop mine last week while stepping out of my friends car while on holiday, and I apparently still had it laying on my lap. Nice scratch on the side, even on the glass. Still, not broken, and today I was asked by a friend if I would sell it if Apple released a new one this year. I said yes. (and won't be buying a case after this incident)
- Roger Sterling
- Roger Sterling
post #72 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Indeed, cases aren't mandatory. Though I did drop mine last week while stepping out of my friends car while on holiday, and I apparently still had it laying on my lap. Nice scratch on the side, even on the glass. Still, not broken, and today I was asked by a friend if I would sell it if Apple released a new one this year. I said yes. (and won't be buying a case after this incident)

Agreed. A plastic phone will handle a drop much better. Very resilient. Whereas if I ever drop my un-cased iPhone 5 on a sidewalk or hard floor... well... it's not going to do so well. But I'm super careful. And I bought AppleCare Plus just in case :o)

post #73 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Why is everyone obsessed with 1080p? It's not the end-all be-all of resolutions.

Also, "AppleTV optimized" would mean more than just resolution. You also have to think functionality-wise. 

AppleTV apps should be different than (but synergistic with) other iOS apps. The same as iPad specific apps are different, and utilize the form factor to their advantage. Likely they would be coded as Universal, so all versions are included in one download.

I understand apps can be package to support all resolutions, but limiting the numbers of different resolution makes it easier on devs. The ip5 has this weird resolution for panel cost and GPU power and battery. Once you can make cheap CPU/GPU than can handle 1080p and panels that wont cost a lot more because they have more PPI, then you can normalize resolution and never change it again because its all retina across the board.

I have the feeling the Apple TV apps strategy will be to support any iOS iphone apps that used the game controler API and runs in landscape.  This will alllow the Apple TV to run a huge numbers of apps in no time, giving it an edge. Apple will play its ecosystem card again.

Take for example the iPad launch. We had 4:3 iphones and a 4:3 ipad. You could just 2x the iphone apps at first, but looks was not so good. Same goes for Apple TV, you will scale up the iphone apps but they will introduce a new 1080p resolution for both platform, and the upcoming phablet.

post #74 of 79

Getting back to the lead of this thread.

Just a thought, am I the only 1 who thinks these plastic cases might by just that? I mean actual Apple iPhone cases, like the iPad cases but without the front cover flap, & with someone adding internal parts to make them look like they maybe actual plastic iPhone shells. That could just explain there only being the Apple logo & iPhone word on the back, plus the case could be flexible & marked where the buttons are so no need to cut them out. Just like some previous 3rd party iPhone cases/covers have been.

Guess we'll know for sure in 2 to 3 months time.

post #75 of 79
Quote:

No one ever really knows what Apple will do, that's why this site exists.
Always lots of passionate posts for and against bigger iPhones.
One concern phablets could cannibalize both small tablet & small smart phone sales
post #76 of 79

The guy in the video is milking it. 

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #77 of 79
Looks legit to me. And Apple is getting rid of 4, 4S and 5. When the 5S comes out, they'll have 5S as the flagship model and this cheaper iPhone as the entry model.
post #78 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Indeed, cases aren't mandatory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Well you don't HAVE TO keep it in a case.

Of course, I think that is overstating the obvious!

I've dropped mine out of a case and been lucky, but I've also watched 2 iPhones dropped onto a kitchen floor in the same manner and both ended up with cracks! It's all in the luck of the bounce! Russian Roulette!

But having a case ensures peace of mind for those moments when you have to stay on the phone at odd times, when your hands are full with kids, carrying groceries, etc. The moments in life when your not just sitting at a Starbucks.

Or keeping your kids entertained with your phone and not have to worry about building soft things around them to keep your phone safe in case they drop it.

No case appeals to more people than something stupid like Samscum's diving into a pool with your phone or answering it while eating ribs!

Not sure I believe this is any new iPhone design, but I do believe the rumor of an iPhone that rights it self to fall a certain way to protect it! This sounds like Apple and if its thicker for added protection and I don't have to buy a Shit case I'm all for it!
post #79 of 79

I think the plastic cases look too cheap, I'm a fan or real leather cases like the Vaultskin wallet case

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New video again shows off supposed plastic Apple iPhone case