or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google refreshes Nexus 7 with twice iPad mini's pixel count, for $100 less
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google refreshes Nexus 7 with twice iPad mini's pixel count, for $100 less - Page 2

post #41 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

 

Apple wants you to buy device, not borrow. Apple sees those devices as private, not just personal.

 

Apples and oranges. I bought my iPad and my iPhone but at certain times you might let someone use it for a very brief time, even for a few minutes. Sometimes with your permission and sometimes without.  For anyone with wives, husbands, girlfriends, boyfriends, or other snooping people that you would prefer not to have full access to your iPhone or iPad I am sure you will understand where I am coming from.

 

Not to mention the ability to prevent kids from racking up big bills on in-app or other types of purchases by being able to limit that secondary account.  

 

By your logic every family member should have their own Mac and they should disable multiple accounts in OS X. 

post #42 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hey… Still using that faulty NAND, are you Google? There's a reason this is $100 less.

The NAND in the Nexus 7 is not, and never was, faulty.  Try actually reading up on a subject, rather than repeating the same incorrect information over and over again.  Anyway, since you no doubt will not bother - the issue is a driver one which meant that TRIM commands were not properly being issued to clear unused sectors in the NAND.  I wouldn't be surprised if Apple use virtually the same NAND chips in the iPad.

 

Most of the price differential is likely explained by the *very* different profit margins of the two devices.

post #43 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

 

Apple wants you to buy device, not borrow. Apple sees those devices as private, not just personal.


Apparently their customers see them differently:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/22/apple-refunds-6131-itunes-bill-for-8-year-olds-unauthorized-in-app-purchases

post #44 of 164

What are the other specs of this screen? Is it a pentile resolution? OLED? Again Google wants to take one aspect of a screen and make it sound like it is better than an iPad because it has more pixels. More isn't always better!! What is the supposed battery life on this turd of a tablet?

cut the tech garbage and check me out at

www.appletechspot.com

Reply

cut the tech garbage and check me out at

www.appletechspot.com

Reply
post #45 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

 

Apples and oranges. I bought my iPad and my iPhone but at certain times you might let someone use it for a very brief time, even for a few minutes. Sometimes with your permission and sometimes without.  For anyone with wives, husbands, girlfriends, boyfriends, or other snooping people that you would prefer not to have full access to your iPhone or iPad I am sure you will understand where I am coming from.

 

Not to mention the ability to prevent kids from racking up big bills on in-app or other types of purchases by being able to limit that secondary account.  

 

By your logic every family member should have their own Mac and they should disable multiple accounts in OS X. 

You realize that you are trying to heap layers of complexity on a tablet and make it into a PC right? Tablets are supposed to be mobile single user devices to avoid the complexity of being a PC!!!

cut the tech garbage and check me out at

www.appletechspot.com

Reply

cut the tech garbage and check me out at

www.appletechspot.com

Reply
post #46 of 164
And in a few months the highest will be knocked off its pedastal by the new iPads whose ecosystem dwarfs Google.
post #47 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleTechSpot View Post

What are the other specs of this screen? Is it a pentile resolution? OLED? Again Google wants to take one aspect of a screen and make it sound like it is better than an iPad because it has more pixels. More isn't always better!! What is the supposed battery life on this turd of a tablet?

9 hours playback, 10 hours web.

Some turd, huh?

/s
post #48 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

"Google also showed off the newest build of its Android operating system, version 4.3. Still under the Jelly Bean moniker, version 4.3 brings multi-user restricted profiles, allowing users to set parental controls governing how other profiles can access in-app purchases. It also brings Bluetooth Smart integration, allowing devices running 4.3 to interface with low-energy, wearable devices."

 

This I think is the most interesting point of the article. For families that share an iPad or even if you occasionally let a friend borrow it for a few minutes this would be an awesome feature to include in iOS 7 and I am surprised it wasn't announced. Even on the iPhone it would be nice to have an admin account and a guest account that doesn't show texts, emails, call history. 

 

I think a "Guest Mode" would be nice (with access to Web and select apps), but Apple won't add multiple users. They want an iPad for everyone.

post #49 of 164
No iOS, no sale.
post #50 of 164

My son and daughter both have first gen Nexus 7's. They get a lot of use every day and are still going strong a year later. It's not a bad tablet for the price.

post #51 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleTechSpot View Post

You realize that you are trying to heap layers of complexity on a tablet and make it into a PC right? Tablets are supposed to be mobile single user devices to avoid the complexity of being a PC!!!

What complexity? How hard would it to have an app or setting to allow you to switch to another account? That is no more difficult or challenging that setting up the passcode lock. In fact it could be on the passcode lock screen. SImply place an icon for 2 accounts on that screen and choose the account you want to access and enter your passcode. Does that sound complex to you?

post #52 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

9 hours playback, 10 hours web.

Some turd, huh?

/s
Is this based on reviews?
post #53 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKings33 View Post

1920x1200 is 16:10

1920x1080 is 16:9

 

1280x800 is 16:10

1280x720 is 16:9

 

It's funny that their 16:10 ratio is normally aesthetically pleasing (very close to the golden rectangle), yet as a tablet seems very odd and narrow. The 4:3 on the iPad just works so much better. 

 

Strange.

 

The thick bezel doesn't help either.

post #54 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

 

I think a "Guest Mode" would be nice (with access to Web and select apps), but Apple won't add multiple users. They want an iPad for everyone.

A guest account on my iPhone would have saved me a lot of fights over the years with some things I would have preferred to remain for my eyes only. 1wink.gif

post #55 of 164
I can't believe people are arguing against user accounts on the iPad. All the reasons are nonsense, IMO.
post #56 of 164

A few months ago, I wanted to buy a Nexus 7, but then I read a couple of stories about the tablet slowing down after a few months of use -- expecially after installing a specific Android update. A searched some more, and it now seems widespread. Strange that this doesn't get any attention.

 

Is it Android that causes the slowdowns, or is it bad memory that is used, or maybe no garbage collection?

 

Nexus 7 and the new one seem like a dream on paper, in specs and price, but if it is shoddy down the road, is it worth it?

post #57 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Is this based on reviews?

Not yet. But I don't think it will be far off, Android 4.3 is really optimized, that is why Moto X and the recently released Droids have such great battery life. I look forward to watching the reviews.

Personally I want a retina mini. But I could consider one of these for my kids. Reasonably priced.

Edit to add: the hours I quoted are from googles presentation.
post #58 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

What complexity? How hard would it to have an app or setting to allow you to switch to another account? That is no more difficult or challenging that setting up the passcode lock. In fact it could be on the passcode lock screen. SImply place an icon for 2 accounts on that screen and choose the account you want to access and enter your passcode. Does that sound complex to you?


So draw a box on the login screen for another user and voila! Done!

 

Consider how to restrict or grant access to data/apps on the same device between users? Or can you when you switch, do you actually logout and shutdown or suspend programs or keep them running in the background? How do you determine who gets what storage space? It's certainly not a simple thing to do.

post #59 of 164

Faulty NAND ? 

 

Ah ah, my N7, and the N7 of thousands of people are still working perfectly fine :)

 

 

Quote:
Is it Android that causes the slowdowns, or is it bad memory that is used, or maybe no garbage collection?

That.

Android, just installed, it's fast, works fine. After installed apps and apps and apps, well.. Cache will get bigger, will slow down a bit. Fix is just a bit of cleaning :)

And chrome for android, until recently, was a resource sucker. 

post #60 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post




The hardware can easily handle it, the Adreno 320 is faster then Power SGX 543 found in the iPhone 5. The lag is probably in Android itself, Qualcomm chip users found that by modifying the GPU conf to reflect this,"ondemand, down_differential 30, up_threshhold 70" greatly increases the speed of the games and overall smoothness of the GUI. That being said, which videos have you seen, the ones I've seen so far showed no such lag.

 

Hmm, I'm not sure I'd be so quick in saying that the hardware can handle it as easily, and at least I am of the opinion of having "seen" otherwise.

 

Note, that even the rMBP has trouble pushing as many pixels around at this resolution and those have much more powerful chips, especially the dedicated ones.

 

Certainly you're right in saying that Android in itself might be responsible for a good part of that and that's certainly true. It becomes obvious when seeing that games run so much better than anything running on top of Dalvik, but then again, this is long known and a problem based on poor technological choice noone can reverse now. I am convinced apps won't be a pleasure on this device.

 

Have a look at the Google presentation video, you'll notice many instances during the presentation where they were trying very hard to scroll as little and as slowly as possible and especially trying to avoid any kind of momentum scrolling, since this would obviously slow things down even more because of the repeated delta calculations resulting in more dropped frames.

 

Also take a look at early hands on videos, such as at the Verge, where you can see how low the frame rate drops when trying to rotate Google Maps in 3D mode. And note this is running on top of OpenGL. This is especially curious, since Google Maps seems to run much better on top of iOS, than on even highend Android devices. I blame this not only on the underlying system, but also at the combination with constantly increasing resolutions and the push towards 1080p even in Android phones these days.

post #61 of 164

Who is doing customer support for these 'Google' devices?  If it is not Google then Google is just a front for some unknown manufacturers.  Just like the Windows PCs that have nothing to do with Microsoft.
 

post #62 of 164
Wahaha. Is that all Google can deliver? Pixel copy? Turn around and sleep ...
post #63 of 164
It's hard to believe the googlers are all that bright when they can't do something as simple as not putting a hideous wallpaper image on their product in their marketing materials. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot more substantial issues with it, but even just the pleasant background of iOS 7 is probably enough to make up for a $100 price difference with the iPad mini as these things are sold to the mass market.

   

Reply

   

Reply
post #64 of 164
Viruses run 1.8 times faster!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #65 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHarry de View Post

Wahaha. Is that all Google can deliver? Pixel copy? Turn around and sleep ...

Clearly the device has some features no iOS device on the market can even support (example: OpenGL ES 3.0), but what I don't understand is why you would choose to be blind in your claims.

post #66 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post


So draw a box on the login screen for another user and voila! Done!

 

Consider how to restrict or grant access to data/apps on the same device between users? Or can you when you switch, do you actually logout and shutdown or suspend programs or keep them running in the background? How do you determine who gets what storage space? It's certainly not a simple thing to do.

So Google figured out these problems on 4.3 and so did Apple on OS X but you think they can't on iOS...1oyvey.gif. I have no idea how it should be implemented, that was just off the top of my head. But I am sure it could be done. And like other features in iOS that you may not use you would be free to ignore this one as well. It astounds me that people could possibly be against a guest user account. It is like the inmates arguing against changing the jail lunch menu and offer something besides meatloaf on Tuesday since it would cause too much pandemonium. 

post #67 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

It's hard to believe the googlers are all that bright when they can't do something as simple as not putting a hideous wallpaper image on their product in their marketing materials. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot more substantial issues with it, but even just the pleasant background of iOS 7 is probably enough to make up for a $100 price difference with the iPad mini as these things are sold to the mass market.

I find iOS 7 hideous. I doubt I'll upgrade my iPads or iPhones to it.
post #68 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I can't believe people are arguing against user accounts on the iPad. All the reasons are nonsense, IMO.

 

I said it's unlikely from the standpoint of Apple, and what's best for them business-wise.

 

I'm a business-minded person, so that's how I think.

 

For me personally? Multiple users would be great. But it won't happen, not while iPad controls so much market share.

post #69 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post


I find iOS 7 hideous. I doubt I'll upgrade my iPads or iPhones to it.

 

Have fun stuck in the past. 

post #70 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I can't believe people are arguing against user accounts on the iPad. All the reasons are nonsense, IMO.

Yup. I can see them adding this via the fingerprint scanner. Would be a nice, clean solution. 

 

Fingerprint recognised = iPhone/iPad logs in the respective user. Fingerpringt unknown = guest account activated.

post #71 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Have fun stuck in the past. 

I will just jailbreak
post #72 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post


I will just jailbreak

 

And have fun with that.

post #73 of 164
Hahahah!. I'm writing this post using my superior ipad mini. I couldn't be happier. The fit, finish, performance and support hasn't been matched by any clown in the tech business.
Right now Goggly is just spec whoring.
post #74 of 164
This is one of the reasons why I'm dissatisfied with Apple's management. Google is always constantly trying to undermine Apple's hardware business. Supposedly, Wall Street says that Google is more valuable than Apple because its search engine business is nearly infallible. So, Google already has a decent business that's not affected by much competition. But Google has to be greedy and go after Apple's hardware products. This is the reason why Tim Cook's attitude really pisses me off. Why doesn't Apple ever go directly after Google? Android OS practically ruined Apple's iPhone business' future as far as Wall Street is concerned. Wall Street is always claiming how Android devices and Android OS is just as good as Apple's iPhone, iPad and iOS is. How Wall Street investors are always deeply concerned about Apple's mobile future as Android looms everywhere.

The smartphone market is just glutted with Android smartphones at every point of the price spectrum. Both the smartphone and tablet market is flooded with Android devices which is really hurting Apple's chances of holding market share. I'd like to see Apple go directly after Google's search engine business. I'm sure Apple could readily afford to either acquire a search engine or build its own from scratch. Start sucking the life out of Google's ad revenue and see how much Google likes it. Timid Cook just lets his company get screwed over by Google and Wall Street gives Google a free pass with a P/E ratio of close to 30. Google just doesn't have enough competition and Apple should be able to provide some serious ad revenue competition with all Apple devices combined. Apple devices already control most of the mobile web share so Apple could really take a bite out of Google's revenue. C'mon Timid Cook, take off those white gloves and start kicking the crap out of Google for unleashing Android on the world. Apple should not continue to allow Google to screw them over so easy without putting up a fight.
post #75 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleTechSpot View Post

What are the other specs of this screen? Is it a pentile resolution? OLED? Again Google wants to take one aspect of a screen and make it sound like it is better than an iPad because it has more pixels.

 

Actually it is an LED backlit IPS LCD panel with Gorilla Glass (says so right on Google's page)  So technically yes, it is the same screen tech as in Apple products. It is not Pentile or OLED crap.


Edited by thataveragejoe - 7/24/13 at 2:00pm
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #76 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex101 View Post

Yup. I can see them adding this via the fingerprint scanner. Would be a nice, clean solution. 

 

Fingerprint recognised = iPhone/iPad logs in the respective user. Fingerpringt unknown = guest account activated.

 

Guest account is totally different than multiple users.

 

Multiple users requires a much more complicated internal file management system, with multiple databases for each profile. Each app has to have its own data profile. What about documents? Can you share them between users? Music, videos? 

 

A guest account could just be similar to parental controls, where you set which apps can and can't be accessed, including Contacts, etc. By default, it probably would disable everything but Safari (no history a la Private Browsing), Camera (a la the current lock-screen camera), Phone (no contacts) and a few other default apps like Weather and Calculator. Any app could be Enabled/Disabled, similar to Location Services.

 

All this would do would be to hide personal data, not create whole new profiles. Much easier. Would solve the problem of someone needing to use my phone to make a call, or my iPad to browse the web or play Angry Birds.

post #77 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

So Google figured out these problems on 4.3 and so did Apple on OS X but you think they can't on iOS...1oyvey.gif. I have no idea how it should be implemented, that was just off the top of my head. But I am sure it could be done. And like other features in iOS that you may not use you would be free to ignore this one as well. It astounds me that people could possibly be against a guest user account. It is like the inmates arguing against changing the jail lunch menu and offer something besides meatloaf on Tuesday since it would cause too much pandemonium. 


I'm not saying it shouldn't be done (my guest account is used all the time on my N7) or that they can't figure it out, but it's certainly not "That is no more difficult or challenging that setting up the passcode lock." there are a lot more things to consider and do. You were trivializing it to something simple when it is not. 1oyvey.gif1oyvey.gif1oyvey.gif Yes, iOS is a variant of OSX, but you don't necessarily do what desktops do on a mobile platform.

post #78 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

This is one of the reasons why I'm dissatisfied with Apple's management. Google is always constantly trying to undermine Apple's hardware business. Supposedly, Wall Street says that Google is more valuable than Apple because its search engine business is nearly infallible. So, Google already has a decent business that's not affected by much competition. But Google has to be greedy and go after Apple's hardware products. This is the reason why Tim Cook's attitude really pisses me off. Why doesn't Apple ever go directly after Google? Android OS practically ruined Apple's iPhone business' future as far as Wall Street is concerned. Wall Street is always claiming how Android devices and Android OS is just as good as Apple's iPhone, iPad and iOS is. How Wall Street investors are always deeply concerned about Apple's mobile future as Android looms everywhere.

The smartphone market is just glutted with Android smartphones at every point of the price spectrum. Both the smartphone and tablet market is flooded with Android devices which is really hurting Apple's chances of holding market share. I'd like to see Apple go directly after Google's search engine business. I'm sure Apple could readily afford to either acquire a search engine or build its own from scratch. Start sucking the life out of Google's ad revenue and see how much Google likes it. Timid Cook just lets his company get screwed over by Google and Wall Street gives Google a free pass with a P/E ratio of close to 30. Google just doesn't have enough competition and Apple should be able to provide some serious ad revenue competition with all Apple devices combined. Apple devices already control most of the mobile web share so Apple could really take a bite out of Google's revenue. C'mon Timid Cook, take off those white gloves and start kicking the crap out of Google for unleashing Android on the world. Apple should not continue to allow Google to screw them over so easy without putting up a fight.

 

Why aren't you hiding under your rock?

 

Apple just blew away iPhone expectations. Certainly not "ruined".

 

Google is a bubble that will pop. 

post #79 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

So Google figured out these problems on 4.3 and so did Apple on OS X but you think they can't on iOS...1oyvey.gif. I have no idea how it should be implemented, that was just off the top of my head. But I am sure it could be done. And like other features in iOS that you may not use you would be free to ignore this one as well. It astounds me that people could possibly be against a guest user account. It is like the inmates arguing against changing the jail lunch menu and offer something besides meatloaf on Tuesday since it would cause too much pandemonium. 

 

Guest Account/Guest Mode =/= Multiple User Accounts

post #80 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleTechSpot View Post

You realize that you are trying to heap layers of complexity on a tablet and make it into a PC right? Tablets are supposed to be mobile single user devices to avoid the complexity of being a PC!!!


Apple didn't get where it is by running from challenges.  They seem to be asking themselves, "How can we make useful things simple?" 

 

Multiple user accounts are useful on tablets.  I'd wager Apple will add them in under two years.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Google refreshes Nexus 7 with twice iPad mini's pixel count, for $100 less
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google refreshes Nexus 7 with twice iPad mini's pixel count, for $100 less