or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Photo may show retail packaging for Apple's low-cost "iPhone 5C"

Rumor: Photo may show retail packaging for Apple's low-cost "iPhone 5C"

post #1 of 217
A new photo released into the wild this week may show a portion of the retail packaging for Apple's forthcoming low-cost iPhone, which -- if the photo is genuine -- could hit the market under the name "iPhone 5C."

Is this the iPhone 5C Packaging?

The photo, which appeared on the same WeiPhone forums that have produced several other early peaks at Apple devices, shows a manufacturer's bin full of dozens of new plastic retail boxes in the size, shape, and style that one would expect to cradle the company's lower-cost handset, based on recent rumors.

The side of the plastic retail boxes also read "iPhone 5C," suggesting Apple could possibly adopt such a naming convention to distinguish the more affordable devices from the premium versions of the next iPhone largely rumored to adopt the name iPhone 5S.

For its part, AppleInsider cannot independently confirm the authenticity of the items in the photo, and therefore publishes images simply for the sake of discussion.

For the latest on Apple's much rumored low-cost iPhone and iPhone 5S, see our recent report: 'iPhone Lite' on track for early Sept., but 'iPhone 5S' production more challenging

iPhone Lite

Update: Some AppleInsider readers are speculating in the forums that "C" may be for "Color," given the recent rumors that the low-cost iPhone would be made available in a variety of colored plastic enclosures (above) when it arrives later this year. They also note that the plastic retail packaging would be consistent with the latest packaging for the iPod touch, which similarly features a plastic container topped off by the device itself, then covered with a transparent cover.
post #2 of 217
C for cheap
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #3 of 217
I'm all for the iPhone lite, but I don't believe this one. Plastic packaging? No. One thing I like about Apple is their efforts to reduce their environmental footprint. This doesn't do that.

Have they ever packaged using plastic?
post #4 of 217
C for color. Looks like it would (if true) follow the packaging of the iPod touch, with a clear cover to showcase the color. I think it would look awesome

Regarding the naming convention, Apple must feel the 5S is a substantial upgrade and is clear step up from the 5C to use "5C". It would be an unexpected, bold move by Apple. It would also signal they have decided not to enter the lower tier end of the market (yet)

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

post #5 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I'm all for the iPhone lite, but I don't believe this one. Plastic packaging? No. One thing I like about Apple is their efforts to reduce their environmental footprint. This doesn't do that.

Yeah. Most of the iPods were packaged in translucent plastic and paper (including iPod touch). But this would be a first for the iPhone.

post #6 of 217
Quote:

Yeah -- Look at the iPod touch (current gen) Scroll to bottom of page:

http://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/specs.html

EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
post #7 of 217
C is for crap
post #8 of 217
Quote:

iPod Touch 4G

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #9 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvvv View Post

Yeah. Most of the iPods were packaged in translucent plastic and paper (including iPod touch). But this would be a first for the iPhone.

That is true, didn't consider the iPods.
post #10 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Yeah -- Look at the iPod touch (current gen) Scroll to bottom of page:

http://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/specs.html

One interesting point is that the lettering of the iPod touch cases is the color of the device. Above, they are all Black. Just FYI

post #11 of 217
I once got a dream about a cheap iPhone with but it was an iPhone 4S internals in iPod touch (4 gen) design with A5 processor and 3,5 inch screen with retina resolution etc etc. But in my dream it was called "iPhone 4K" and it was relased with iPhone 5 in 2012. For free on contract. I remember like I was on that fictive event.

When I think about this I was almost correct... Only it will happen this year on iPhone 5S introduction, the phone will be an iPhone 5 in iPod touch (5 gen) design, it will have an 4 inch screen and it will be called iPhone 5C...
Maybe my brain just fallen into alternate dimension that night, where they introduced cheaper iPhone a year sooner. 1smile.gif

Also I don't know how they will name those two, next year we will get iPhone 6C for sure. But in 2015 we will get iPhone 6CS ??? That's cool 1biggrin.gif
post #12 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

One interesting point is that the lettering of the iPod touch cases is the color of the device. Above, they are all Black. Just FYI

I guess these would be for the black iPhone 5(c) then?

I just hate to see all the waste, would rather see biodegradable packaging. I'm sort of an environmental geek. But I'd forgotten about the iPod packaging earlier
post #13 of 217
Ok when has Apple ever used hard plastic cases like that for their packaging? And what the heck does C even mean (other than the obvious joke - cheap)? Since this would be a brand new phone stylistically why would it even be called iPhone 5 let alone iPhone 5C?!? Also those cases look really dirty.

Here's the product packaging for iPods and iPhones. This packaging looks NOTHING like it.

ef87da9d.jpg

iPhone5_un-boxing_MG_3089.jpg
post #14 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

C for color. Looks like it would (if true) follow the packaging of the iPod touch, with a clear cover to showcase the color. I think it would look awesome

Regarding the naming convention, Apple must feel the 5S is a substantial upgrade and is clear step up from the 5C to use "5C". It would be an unexpected, bold move by Apple. It would also signal they have decided not to enter the lower tier end of the market (yet)

Why would they call it iPhone 5 though? Why not just iPhone and iPhone color? But even that doesn't make much sense because then the lower tier iPhones would always be associated with colors. Unless Apple expects cheaper iPhones to always come in colors?
post #15 of 217
C is for Cookie lol

Maybe it stands for "California"
post #16 of 217
Just afraid C for Cheap : (
post #17 of 217
Whatever it is, I think it's safe to say they will be here pretty soon. In 6 and a bit weeks it's a year from the iPhone 5 introduction
post #18 of 217
C for cheap Chinese cnockoff.
post #19 of 217
post #20 of 217

So this is iPod Touch replacement, or this year new iPod Touch will be even cheaper. hmm...

post #21 of 217
I remember the last thread about this topic and lots of people here were dismissing the colored iPhones and saying that they were fake. I think that all of those people are wrong, and this phone is right around the corner. Apple will very likely be making an announcement in the near future.

Also, as was already mentioned, C for color probably makes the most sense, and with the huge amount of Apple leaks coming out of China, I'd say that there's a damn good possibility that this packaging and the colored iPhones are both the real deal. And if this packaging turns out to be fake, then I still believe that the colored iPhones are for real.
post #22 of 217
5C sounds lame.
post #23 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

So this is iPod Touch replacement, or this year new iPod Touch will be even cheaper. hmm...
Apple just redesigned iPod touch last year. Can't see them getting rid of it.
post #24 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

5C sounds lame.
And what happens in 2014 when presumably the 6 comes out? What will this phone be called then?
post #25 of 217
Want to get one now
post #26 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

5C sounds lame.

5SC in 2014 sounds even lamer
post #27 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why would they call it iPhone 5 though? Why not just iPhone and iPhone color? But even that doesn't make much sense because then the lower tier iPhones would always be associated with colors. Unless Apple expects cheaper iPhones to always come in colors?

Why are you so confused? It IS an iPhone 5, dude.

This is what it was always going to be. An iPhone 5 in a plastic case, with multiple color choices.

This is not unexpected, confusing, or in any way difficult to comprehend.
Edited by pmz - 7/28/13 at 6:43am
post #28 of 217
Right now, as an iPhone 5 owner, I want an iPhone 5C MORE than I want a 5S.

I'm really sick of the iPhone 5's design. I feel (as pretty as it may be) that it is economically flawed, scratches too easy, dents too easy, and becomes too bulky with a case.

The iPhone 5C, much like the 3G & 3GS, does not need a case at all. And is actually thinner than an iPhone 5 wearing a case or bumper.

Apple would have to blow me away with performance and new features of the 5S to convince me to go that route instead of just getting a 5C. This is the design I actually want.
post #29 of 217
Quote:

And what happens in 2014 when presumably the 6 comes out? What will this phone be called then?

The iPhone Sexy, obviously.
post #30 of 217
C is for crappy.
post #31 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post

C is for crappy.

People were complaining about Apple products being too expensive? Well they got their wish, this phone is for them. They can kindly stfu now, IMO.
post #32 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Why are you so confused? It IS an iPhone 5, dude.

This is what it was always going to be. An iPhone 5 in a plastic case, with multiple color choices.

This is not unexpected, confusing, or in any way difficult to comprehend.
I guess it's how you define what an iPhone 5 is. To me an iPhone 5 is aluminum and glass, not plastic.
post #33 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

C for cheap

C for childish as in making cheap crap comment.
post #34 of 217
Then the high end will be called iphone 6, so next year we have iphone 6c and not iphone 5 sc
post #35 of 217
Quote:

I'm really sick of the iPhone 5's design. I feel (as pretty as it may be) that it is economically flawed, scratches too easy, dents too easy, and becomes too bulky with a case.

The iPhone 5C, much like the 3G & 3GS, does not need a case at all. And is actually thinner than an iPhone 5 wearing a case or bumper.

Apple would have to blow me away with performance and new features of the 5S to convince me to go that route instead of just getting a 5C. This is the design I actually want.
haha we don't even know if thhe iPhone 5C exists, and if it does where it will be sold. A lot of assumptions are being made but none of them based on anything substantial.
post #36 of 217
Quote:

I understand your frustration. What I do is use a bumper and a media devil front and back wrap. The media devil one is perfect because it is super clear and the back aluminum section is matte. As for the bumper, it still keeps the phone super thin and sleek, while still maintaining protection for the front and back glass. If you had no case on the 5C- and were prone to dropping- could still break the glass- much like the 3-3GS.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #37 of 217
Quote:

haha we don't even know if thhe iPhone 5C exists, and if it does where it will be sold. A lot of assumptions are being made but none of them based on anything substantial.
Rogi- at this point, I'd almost say its a certainty.

post #38 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Rogi- at this point, I'd almost say its a certainty.

I agree that the iPhone Color seems to be coming.

I'm still hoping it ends up being aluminum or a metal as not plastic.

If it is plastic just as the leaks have suggested Tim Cook and maybe even Jonny Ive have both lost their minds.
post #39 of 217
Very unlikely if they are trying to reduce cost.

"C" for compact.
post #40 of 217

What a bizarre and unfortunate choice of a name if true. 1confused.gif

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Photo may show retail packaging for Apple's low-cost "iPhone 5C"