or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google appears ready to ditch Android over its intellectual property issues
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google appears ready to ditch Android over its intellectual property issues - Page 2

post #41 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4phun View Post

There are very strong indications Samsung also plans to abandon Google and Android in favor of their own OS that is underdevelopment. Then Samsung can imitate Apple by controlling it all vertically with their own app store, search engine etc.

I got the impression somewhere this may occur as early as 2013 at a Samsung world wide developers meeting in the USA, another blatant copy of how Apple works.

Android fans may be won over by the fact Samsun plans to allow existing Android apps to be modified to run on their new OS.

If anyone is interested a little bit of research should verify these points.

 

It will be a weird world if people start developing for Tyzen. 

iOS Developer: Sounds cool

Android Developer: Sounds a little cool

Tyzen Cool: Oh No!  Faggot!

post #42 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by teonyc View Post

Google produced Android to preserve and grow their search business. Nothing more. With growth in emerging markets as the key driver in the industry, Android is a large way for them to access these new, first-time customers. For many around the world, a stripped-down Android phone is their primary if not only access to the web. Mobile is by far gout pacing other channels in terms of global growth, and Google want to own these markets worldwide. Android is not going anywhere, and we will see more development and innovation as Google more tightly integrates their product services into Android.

This is correct.

 

All Google care about is that people search. They pay lip service to apps, but its not their core strategy - there may be an article from DED for that somewhere. Think about it - if you are in or near a train station with an iPhone and looking for the next train you use an app. On high level Android phones you may use an app. Otherwise, in the feature phone world,  you would search for the station name and the time. In fact google search can work out where you are and can display the times in the search  results- without needing  a click to the providers website. It doesn't matter, the search itself is Google's revenue stream. They show adds, and make revenue.

 

Google got into this to protect themselves from Windows not Apple. They bought Android long before the rumors of the iPhone. Sure, they reacted to the iPhone as did everybody else, within a few weeks it was clear that multi-touch was the future. But they realized that most searching would be done in future on phones, and on smart phones. Windows is in fact has about 17%+  for Bing's total search engine share in the US (http://searchengineland.com/bing-rises-above-17-search-market-share-as-google-slips-comscore-159746). Thats fairly impressive considering that the iPhone and Android default to Google.

 

Windows could easily have made deals with Nokia, and/or Blackberry if either of those OSes had a browser worth searching in. If the iPhone and Android hadn't entered the race, Windows would probably have made those deals, and they may even have had good browsers by now. WIthout the iPhone, without Android, google might well be in a death spiral. Or at the very least dependent on the goodwill of manufacturers.

 

So with Bing installed on the desktop, and on a lot of phones Microsoft would have done its normal trick of plugging away until a service was "good enough" and destroyed another competitor. Now with devices outselling PCS, and accelerating, Google has won that race.

 

Which means that Google is not really the enemy of Apple, and would actually be sanguine about losing market share to the iPhone provided it felt that the iPhone would always use Google search. Time to bury the hatchet.


Edited by asdasd - 7/29/13 at 6:19am
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #43 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

 

Can you point to those strong indications?

 

AppleInsider editorial on the way for this! 

post #44 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

lol.gif  - now to go back and read this piece.

Talk about a total waste of bits and bandwidth. The most likely reason was covered early in the piece, Android just adds to much overhead for an extremely low cost device.
post #45 of 138

"Danger, will Rubin son!"

 

I keep laughing at this one. So silly.

post #46 of 138
Some sweet trolling in this one, especially the subtle hint at Google's 2-inch dongle ;D
post #47 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

 

OK, maybe I'm missing something here.  But what's wrong with Bing?  It seems to me that the different engines do things slightly differently, sure, but the fact of the matter remains: If you type "How do I make a pot roast?" into any of them, you'll more than likely get a decent set of results.

 

A search engine is a search engine, from what I can tell.

Bing is missing a lot of secret sauce.   Search engines are not search engines.   I've been running Bing on my phone and my wife is using google.  we both search for the same stuff, and her's seems to be more context aware a significant (10% more give or take) amount of searches.   Now... unlike baseball where batting .700 vs .630 is still amazing, This is more like medicine, where I want to get to .970-.990 in terms of accuracy.

post #48 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post


I keep seeing this comment, aren't Google apps still some of the most downloaded on iTunes, yep just checked. Google search might no longer be the default but I truly believe no one will be using Bing with iOS 7 and will just type Google.com into Safari, at least that's what I'll be doing, Bing is utter crap. Why can't I change the default search engine back to Google if I wanted too or change the default browser for that matter.

 

What is stopping you going into settings->safari->search engine and changing back to google ?
post #49 of 138
A
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

OK, maybe I'm missing something here.  But what's wrong with Bing?  It seems to me that the different engines do things slightly differently, sure, but the fact of the matter remains: If you type "How do I make a pot roast?" into any of them, you'll more than likely get a decent set of results.

A search engine is a search engine, from what I can tell.

and that's why this will stung for google. Plenty will switch defaults but the vast majority won't. Plenty will download g's browser. Most will not. Plenty will download g's map. Most will not.
post #50 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Bing is missing a lot of secret sauce.   Search engines are not search engines.   I've been running Bing on my phone and my wife is using google.  we both search for the same stuff, and her's seems to be more context aware a significant (10% more give or take) amount of searches.   Now... unlike baseball where batting .700 vs .630 is still amazing, This is more like medicine, where I want to get to .970-.990 in terms of accuracy.

 

Hmm, I've tried both and I haven't noticed that much difference.  OTOH, I would think that it depends on what your'e searching for, probably.

post #51 of 138
Folks are overlooking the key indicator is still the removal of Rubin from a position of significant power into research. One product more or less isn't interesting by itself.

Skewmorphism died with the removal of Forstall and a significant UI sea change occurred with Jony.

It is hardly a stretch to believe that Android is now backburnered in favor of Chrome but it's not going away any time soon.

Chrome still isn't ready for one thing.
post #52 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post

A
and that's why this will stung for google. Plenty will switch defaults but the vast majority won't. Plenty will download g's browser. Most will not. Plenty will download g's map. Most will not.

And many more are starting to distrust Google more and more... 

post #53 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

this will not happen.

I don't know. Google seem to drop everything they start after a while. YouTube, Maps and Search being the exception so far and I suspect Chrome will stay the course.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #54 of 138
And there was me thinking the word Chrome was palatable to Apple crowd whereas the word Android is a sin. Now we are told that this Chromised reaching out to Windows and Apple users is really an abandonment of Android. As a cut down Google TV, how come they were not previously ditching Android with both Google TV and Chrome OS? Are they already or are we been fed from the bottom of the barrel?
Edited by aBeliefSystem - 7/29/13 at 6:52am
post #55 of 138
What would people do without Android%u2026 they would have to sit and sulk in their parents basement and find some other reason to hate on other people's phones.

This was a good run on "open" but its just another open fail.
post #56 of 138
Interesting article and a good read for those not already aware of the details. Again, a bit long and wordy however for those of us that do already know.

I think it's clear that Android is being de-emphasised by Google lately, but I don't think the author really proves his case that its "on the way out." I find it to be more speculative and suggestive than based on any hard facts.

Rubin's ouster doesn't have to be about anything but the Motorola acquisition for example. It's one of the biggest most expensive blunders in tech history and if he was the head cheerleader, that's more than enough reason for him not to be around anymore. Similarly, the Chrome executive taking over need not be about anything more than him being the only senior executive with the right experience, or it could also really be about consolidation rather than Android's removal.

As for the premise, or the 'trigger' if you will for the whole piece, which is the apparent decision to use Chrome in the living room instead of Android, that might have nothing to do with anything other than the fact that Android is a bug-filled insecure nightmare. No media company is going to want to distribute content on Android in the living room. That would simply be insane.

In short, there are other explanations for most of the main points here and while the authors conclusion may be true, it need not necessarily be so. It's a colourful theory though.

Edit: I guess I should add that even if Google is moving away from Android, it doesn't come close to really proving it's main assertion that the reason for this are the issues with intellectual property.
Edited by Gazoobee - 7/29/13 at 7:15am
post #57 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

OK, maybe I'm missing something here.  But what's wrong with Bing?  It seems to me that the different engines do things slightly differently, sure, but the fact of the matter remains: If you type "How do I make a pot roast?" into any of them, you'll more than likely get a decent set of results.

A search engine is a search engine, from what I can tell.

I don't think you are missing anything. I use bing exclusively. Do side by side comparisons of everyday searches and I think you will find Bing surprising. Fewer ads, fewer click through links to more ads, fewer paid position links. Once people start to realize that google isn't the be all and end all of search, more people will defect.
I go where I feel I am getting what I want and need. I have no blind loyalty to anyone. Bing works great for me.
More and more I felt google prying into my life. It is just now beginning to make me uneasy.
Google has to be careful. The tech world is littered with the hulking bodies of tech companies believing themselves unassailable. There is no google in my life at all right now except gmail. It wasn't a conscious thing, just an evolution away from things I don't like.
post #58 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

 

Since when adding features is leaving apart the core? It is funny, the only ones seeing Samsung leaving Android or forking it are the ones that can't stand Android

Gwydion,

 

Are you missing the big picture here.. The article doesn't talk about Samsung Ditching Android, but the makers itself ditching it :) .

It's what this article is trying to convey.

post #59 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


I don't know. Google seem to drop everything they start after a while. YouTube, Maps and Search being the exception so far and I suspect Chrome will stay the course.

 

Well YouTube was just a purchase and they have done little with it, so your argument is even better in that it's basically just Maps and Search.  You could even argue that Maps is necessary for Search and therefore the only product they haven't dropped is the original one they started with.  Search. 

post #60 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

Gwydion,

 

Are you missing the big picture here.. The article doesn't talk about Samsung Ditching Android, but the makers itself ditching it :) .

It's what this article is trying to convey.

 

I have not missed anything, I was answering to one post that said that Samsung is leaving Android.

 

And talking about the big picture, Daniel is exactly right like it was in 2009 predicting the fall of Android.

post #61 of 138
Of course makers may want to ditch Android. They are selling one system to cover mp3 player, phone, tablet, GPS system and even PC. Whereas Apple sells individual well defined items. SO they have an mp3 player, a phone, a tablet, a GPS tablet, a laptop and a PC. They can sell 6 items all covered by one Android device. A far better way to 'do business' and one that all manufacturers want to emulate.
post #62 of 138
Why on earth would Apple want to bury the hatchet anywhere other than in Giggles back?

They should, and most likely will, continue to distance themselves from Giggle in everything they do.
post #63 of 138
I don't think you will ever hear Google say they are dropping Android. Google will announce it as that they are merging the best parts of chrome and android in to a unified os when in fact it will be mostly chrome.
post #64 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiffy31 View Post

 

What is stopping you going into settings->safari->search engine and changing back to google ?

With iOS 7 Apple's bringing unified search into the browser.

And I am on the beta at the moment. The default search engine that unified search searches is still Google Search.

post #65 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

 

I have not missed anything, I was answering to one post that said that Samsung is leaving Android.

 

And talking about the big picture, Daniel is exactly right like it was in 2009 predicting the fall of Android.

If Google abandoned Android, you think Samsung has any reason not to abandon it as well ?

post #66 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

Well YouTube was just a purchase and they have done little with it, so your argument is even better in that it's basically just Maps and Search.  You could even argue that Maps is necessary for Search and therefore the only product they haven't dropped is the original one they started with.  Search. 

They've only invested in some infrastructure to let YouTube to serve 15% of all North American internet traffic (http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/07/why-youtube-buffers-the-secret-deals-that-make-and-break-online-video/).

post #67 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

If Google abandoned Android, you think Samsung has any reason not to abandon it as well ?

 

Ein? The OP was talking about Samsung dropping Android independently of what Google may will do.

post #68 of 138

No big shock here. I was told my friends over at Google that this was happening months ago. 

post #69 of 138

Remember when DED said that Oracle would "'impound and destroy' the heart of Google’s Android" ? Yeah... http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/08/14/how-oracle-might-kill-googles-android-and-software-patents-all-at-once/

In reality, this happened... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oracle_v._Google

 

Just saying... Don't hold your breath, folks

post #70 of 138

Andy Rubin has been moved to a separate team where he manages no one. He's in google purgatory. He's on his way out the door. It's all about Chrome now which it should've been in the first place. 

post #71 of 138

The purpose of the previous article (http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/158746/chromecast-hacked-uses-google-tv-code-stripped-of-android-features) was to refute the idea that Chromecast is based on ChromeOS. In fact the article states that

Quote:
In examining the device, the group "concluded that it's more Android than ChromeOS," 

 

Yet according to this article,

Quote:
Evidence from multiple sources, including the design decisions behind Google's latest Chromecast product, support the idea that the company now sees more future potential and interest in investing in Chrome OS than in continuing to support Rubin's Android....

 

How does one reconcile these two apparently contradictory statements?

post #72 of 138
Daniel - just an FYI: if you have higher than usual influx of traffic on this post, I can assure you it's from outside outlets making fun of this link-bait fluff. Though, I must admit, I rather enjoyed it. Best piece of satire I've read in a while.
post #73 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Interesting article and a good read for those not already aware of the details. Again, a bit long and wordy however for those of us that do already know.

I think it's clear that Android is being de-emphasised by Google lately, but I don't think the author really proves his case that its "on the way out." I find it to be more speculative and suggestive than based on any hard facts.

Rubin's ouster doesn't have to be about anything but the Motorola acquisition for example. It's one of the biggest most expensive blunders in tech history and if he was the head cheerleader, that's more than enough reason for him not to be around anymore. Similarly, the Chrome executive taking over need not be about anything more than him being the only senior executive with the right experience, or it could also really be about consolidation rather than Android's removal.

As for the premise, or the 'trigger' if you will for the whole piece, which is the apparent decision to use Chrome in the living room instead of Android, that might have nothing to do with anything other than the fact that Android is a bug-filled insecure nightmare. No media company is going to want to distribute content on Android in the living room. That would simply be insane.

In short, there are other explanations for most of the main points here and while the authors conclusion may be true, it need not necessarily be so. It's a colourful theory though.

Edit: I guess I should add that even if Google is moving away from Android, it doesn't come close to really proving it's main assertion that the reason for this are the issues with intellectual property.

 

I have to agree, one could come to this conclusion and there are many factors at play here which makes it hard to know what was the driving factor. However, I have to agree if Google made the Motorola decision based on Rubin, who honestly did not strike me as nothing more that a techie they deserve what they get then.

 

I have it from a good source that Google lack the business sophistication to take on a Motorola acquisition. First, Google did the deal in 4 days, this is from the time they walked in the door to make an offer to when Motorola say okay. Google did no due diligence on Motorola, they had no clue what they were getting themselves into. They did not need to do this since Motorola had no other interested parties at the time, Google was in a hurry fend off the war that Steve had now waged on them.

 

Motorola was plan B or maybe X after the screw up with trying to get the Nortel's Mobile patents which Apple happen to win. I believe Rubin was also involved in that screw up as well. Google got Motorola and all the headache of buying a company that has been around for 70+ years. The reason the deal took almost a yr to close is due to the fact that all the various governments, competitors, customers and such had a say about what Google could or could not due with Motorola. In the end Google's hands were tied, and tied hard to the point and Rubin said it the Motorola team no longer had access to the Android team as they had in the past.

 

Yes Google wanted the IP, and figure they would get it and shut all the operations of Motorola down and begin their counter war with their New found patents. Well good idea but they fail to understand there would be a huge number of people weight in on their plan.

 

My impressions are Google is licking their wounds, and trying to figure out how to get out of the mess they are now in. Everyone jokes about Steve's comment about thermonuclear war with Google, but even from the Grave Steve is exacting his wish. No, Apple did not drop a huge bomb on Google's Mountain View Campus, they just attacked at all their flanks. Remember you do not need to win the war by attacking your enemy straight on, you just need to make sure they can not fight back. I believe this exactly what Steve did, he is wounding them to the point where they can no longer fight and he did so by using any means available to him.

post #74 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

 

OK, maybe I'm missing something here.  But what's wrong with Bing?  It seems to me that the different engines do things slightly differently, sure, but the fact of the matter remains: If you type "How do I make a pot roast?" into any of them, you'll more than likely get a decent set of results.

 

A search engine is a search engine, from what I can tell.

Exactly, and with Siri, Apple is developing its own search -

 

And, with a flick of the middle finger, all Googleshit can be extinguished from AppStore. Apple has a long memory, in a grand unforgivable indulgence.

 

As the great philosopher, Nelson, says: "Ha, ha"!

  • "And, with a flick of the middle finger, all Googleshit can be extinguished from AppStore. Ha, ha!"

     
 
 
 

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #75 of 138
Instead of killing the Android-based set-top box I personally think we'll see details leaked, if not publicly released, before the end of the year. More than one source indicates that's the endgame. IMO and that of others the holdup is agreements with the media providers for what is intended to be a streaming TV service offering subscription services including HBO. It's a tough negotiation as Apple has also reportedly learned. Chromecast very obviously isn't intended for that purpose or market.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324348504578610050212447028.html
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Google-TV-streaming-TV-Black-Box-Project-iTV,news-17169.html
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/iTV-Apple-TV-Tim-Cook-Time-Warner-HBO,news-17180.html
Edited by Gatorguy - 7/29/13 at 9:05am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #76 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

[post]

lol, Huddler formatting. I wonder just how much HTML we could inject to screw up formatting…
post #77 of 138
"Chrome OS is also philosophically closer to everything else Google does because its based on web standards; Rubin's rejiggered Java VM platform is an oddball product that simply doesn't mesh with everything else the company does, on top of having exposed Google to intellectual property infringement liabilities and inciting its closest partners to become competitors."

The above key paragraph which needs to be said over and over until the Fandroids who can't see further than the end of their proverbial nose of having access to the file system.

Imagine if Google had worked WITH Apple rather than against them they would be in a far stronger position. WebOS might have been a success and Samsung would be history. Ruben singlehandeely caused more damage to the phone market than any individual known to man and we would NOT be at the mercy of Android hackers. Android is simply lipstick on a pig

Originally by Rickers - 2014 : Cook & will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost so long.


History reduce Apple Watch.... to a footnote in the annals of technology - Benjamin Frost Dec 2014



Reply

Originally by Rickers - 2014 : Cook & will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost so long.


History reduce Apple Watch.... to a footnote in the annals of technology - Benjamin Frost Dec 2014



Reply
post #78 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Imagine if Google had worked WITH Apple rather than against them they would be in a far stronger position.

Imagine a world in which Steve Jobs agreed to be Google's CEO, announcing it publicly alongside the first iPod…
post #79 of 138

I don't buy it, but it's an interesting theory.

 

Chrome and Android have clearly not "gotten along" during their history, and that's always been strategically very odd.

 

I also don't buy Chromecast itself--too much of a bait and switch: no screen mirroring, no remote unless you stop what anyone is doing on your tablet, and more of a bulky mess than they pretend—external power brick, power cord, and an included adapter to make the tip smaller since the actual unit is too fat for many TVs:

 

From: http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/07/26/hands-on-initial-impressions-of-the-google-chromecast/

post #80 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

If Google abandoned Android, you think Samsung has any reason not to abandon it as well ?

SS will just fork Android like Amazon did and use it as long as it wants to. it's making a lot of profit with it now, so why change? it's already laid its own UI on top and removed all references to Android anyway. and it's having its own first developers conference in SF soon. all that handwriting is on the wall too ...

 

this is a very thought provoking piece by DED.

 

Google has to decide if Android will or will not make real profits at scale for it long term. that is the strategic question. so far, the answer is clearly "no" for the many reasons DED notes.

 

we will see pretty soon ...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Google appears ready to ditch Android over its intellectual property issues
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google appears ready to ditch Android over its intellectual property issues