or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS phone share growing faster than Android in US, UK and France

iOS phone share growing faster than Android in US, UK and France

post #1 of 44
New data from Kantar Worldpanel shows year over year market share gains by iOS in the United States, Great Britain and France, despite a seasonal shift that's returned Android to a majority share in the U.S.

Source: Kantar

The market research group reported a 51.5 percent share for Android in the U.S. compared to 42.5 percent for iPhone. Microsoft's Windows Phone captured 4 percent and BlackBerry fell to 1.1 percent share.

Apple's share in smartphones is up 3.3 percentage points from the year ago quarter, but down from the end of 2012, when Kantar assigned Apple a leading share of 51.2 percent, boosted by the launch of iPhone 5.

Carrier share of smartphone sales in the U.S. was led by Verizon Wireless, which also led in the share of iPhones sold; Verizon's 40 percent share of iPhone sales was slightly ahead of AT&T's 39 percent share. Another 10 percent of U.S. iPhones were sold on Sprint while T-Mobile made up 8 percent of sales.

Kantar analyst Dominic Sunnebo noted that "When looking at the consumers purchasing from Verizon currently, we see a lot more females and those upgrading from a featurephone to an iOS device compared to other carriers."

Verizon sold iPhones to 25 percent of its new smartphone customers upgrading from a basic phone, compared to just 21 percent at AT&T, which sold significantly more Android smartphones to new buyers (29 percent) than Verizon (18 percent).

iOS gains on Android in UK, fueled by iPhone 4

Android licensees collectively lead Apple in smartphone sales across Europe and in China in a two horse race where no other smartphone platform can claim double digit share.

Kantar drew particular attention to the market in the U.K., noting in a separate report that "Apple?s iOS has surged 5.2 percentage points to 30.5% of the British smartphone market, driven by first-time smartphone buyers opting for the iPhone 4." "More than a third of iPhone 4's sold were to consumers who have never owned a smartphone before, compared with just one in 10 new customers buying the iPhone 5." - Kantar

Sunnebo stated that, "although the flagship iPhone 5 was widely credited with boosting Apple?s global results last week, much of the market share growth for iOS in Britain is thanks to the competitively priced iPhone 4 attracting first time smartphone buyers. More than a third of iPhone 4?s sold were to consumers who have never owned a smartphone before, compared with just one in 10 new customers buying the iPhone 5."

He added, "margins are tighter at the entry-level end of the market, but as consumers become more engaged with their smartphone they are increasingly prepared to invest more when they upgrade.

"Apple boasts the highest level of customer loyalty of the operating systems, and by capturing consumers at entry-level it is in a good position to grow its customer base in the future. With almost 19 million feature phone owners left in Britain, there is still a lot for iOS and the other platforms to compete for.?

Low end Lumias help drive Windows Phone growth

The importance of low end, entry level smartphone options for platform growth was also evident for Windows Phone, which like iOS, also grew faster than Android in the U.K. during the quarter, accounting for 8.6 percent of smartphone sales.

"While flagship Windows handsets such as the Nokia 925 and HTC 8X grab the headlines, it is the low and mid-range models, such as the Nokia Lumia 520 and 620, which are quietly driving its momentum," Sunnebo wrote.

"It is vital for Windows to be seen as a mainstream alternative to Android and iOS rather than a niche platform. Selling large volumes of lower end smartphones is a good way of getting Windows seen in the hands of potential customers? friends and family, convincing them there isn?t a risk in choosing the operating system," he added.

"Unusual" iPhone growth assisted by three year old iPhone 4

In Apple's most recent conference call, chief financial officer Peter Oppenheimer stated that "iPhone 5 remains by far the most popular iPhone, but we were also very happy with sales of iPhone 4 and 4S," later adding that "iPhone 4 sales accelerated as we offered more affordable pricing in emerging and in other markets."

Apple's chief executive Tim Cook referenced lower iPhone 4 pricing a significant factor in the "unusual" growth in iPhone sales in the June quarter, noting that "with the moves that we made on [iPhone] 4 and with iPhone 5 continuing to be the most popular model, we saw very strong sales in several of the emerging markets, sort of pre-pay markets. "The number of first time smartphone buyers that the iPhone 4 is attracting is very, very impressive" - Tim Cook

"India was up over 400%, Turkey and Poland were both up over 60%. The Philippines were up about 140%, and these were ? in addition, we saw very strong iPhone sales in several of the developing markets. For example, the U.S. was up over 50%, Japan up over 60%, the U.K. about 50%, and so we had several regions where iPhone growth actually accelerated from the previous quarter, which is an unusual pattern for us, and we were very, very happy with those."

Cook later added that "what we've seen is that the number of first time smartphone buyers that the iPhone 4 is attracting is very, very impressive. We want to attract as many of these buyers as we can and we saw that beginning to happen toward the end of the Q2 timeframe, as I'd referenced on last quarter's call, and we did that on a wider spread basis, offered more affordable pricing on a wider scale basis this quarter, and continue to be very happy with what we saw.

"Where iPhone 5 continues to be the most popular iPhone by far, we're really happy to provide an incredible high quality product with iPhone 4 running iOS 6 to as many first-time smartphone buyers as we can, and I think it's proven to be exactly a great product for that buyer."
post #2 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonysexual View Post

Apple's net income for most recent quarter: $6.9 billion
Samsung's net income for most recent quarter: $6.96 billion

MS smartphone market share: 2.9% > 4.0%. That's over a 3rd YoY increase. All hail to MS ¡
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #3 of 44
Quote:

OK. And what does Samsung do, produce and sell, with how many people and what does Apple do? Mixing Apples and Oranges?

post #4 of 44

If Apple releases 5 mini and 5 maxi even in stingy Germany the share of Android falls under 40% in one year...

post #5 of 44
"Apple's net income for most recent quarter: $6.9 billion
Samsung's net income for most recent quarter: $6.96 billion"

You may want to read this article.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/27/samsung-has-not-dethroned-apple-in-mobile-profits
post #6 of 44
Quote:

Three phones vs three hundred phones.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #7 of 44
I think Android has reached at a point where it can't grow at rapid rate any longer.
post #8 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Keep setting us up with serves like that and you trolls wonder why we get aces?

Watch Apple's profits drop even further when they release their cheap iPhone this year or next.

More phones lead to sales cannibalization, not higher total sales.

post #9 of 44
Quote:

Watch Apple's profits drop even further when they release their cheap iPhone this year or next.
Why are you hating Apple? Any personal vendetta?
post #10 of 44
Quote:

Except that runs contrary to what you said earlier. So which is it? How can you call yourself a troll if you can't even use the same lie throughout?
Quote:

Having what at all to do with the statement I made and having what at all to do with the topic you raised?

post #11 of 44
Quote:

The problem is they compare Apple's iPhone profit to Samsung's Mobile unit which includes all phones, tablets, and laptops.

post #12 of 44
Quote:

Samsung is a vertically-integrated company that uses their own technology they they manufactured by themselves in their own products.

Let that sink in and make you realize how much of an edge Samsung has.

And even with all that, they had to steal hardware and software patents from Apple just to make something an idiot would buy.

Once again: How pathetic.

I'm done with you. I give people the benefit of the doubt, but you're all doubt and no benefit. SHUT UP AND GO AWAY.

post #13 of 44
Quote:

You think doing what Samsung does is easy? I'd rather be the leader of Samsung than Apple at this point.

That $6.96 billion in quarterly profit was from their electronics division, one of the 100+ companies that make up Samsung.

Apple lacks the brains to branch out like Samsung does. They only concentrate on a few fields, and they still end up doing worse than Samsung.

In business, it's a lot more desirable to do a few things really well rather than a whole bunch of half-assed crap, even if the profits are the same. Ask any tech competitor's CEO, or any CEO, for that matter.

It's a lot more difficult for Apple to pull the kind of profits they make than it is for Samsung.

Me personally, I'd rather root for an American company than a foreign company anyway. Call me....patriotic.

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

post #14 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

In business, it's a lot more desirable to do a few things really well rather than a whole bunch of half-assed crap, even if the profits are the same. Ask any tech competitor's CEO, or any CEO, for that matter.

It's a lot more difficult for Apple to pull the kind of profits they make than it is for Samsung.

Me personally, I'd rather root for an American company than a foreign company anyway. Call me....patriotic.

And what if the American company contributes less to the American economy than the foreign company?

Money has to be spent for the USD to sustain value. If Apple doesn't spend the money, no one but Apple benefits.

post #15 of 44
Quote:

I have an honest question for you Americans: Are American engineers really so incompetent that you guys deem things like pinch-to-zoom and bounce-back scrolling worthy of patents?

Well, gee, have you ever thought that the reason Samsung had their "Crisis of Design" moment was because these patents made the iPhone experience superior to any smartphone out at the time.....which is why Samsung "adopted" those UI functions?

Take my word for it....you're gonna lose this argument. Stop trolling for dollars.

post #16 of 44
Quote:

And what if the American company contributes less to the American economy than the foreign company?

Money has to be spent for the USD to sustain value. If Apple doesn't spend the money, no one but Apple benefits.

Citation, please. We're not just going to take your word for it.

post #17 of 44
Quote:

Well, gee, have you ever thought that the reason Samsung had their "Crisis of Design" moment was because these patents made the iPhone experience superior to any smartphone out at the time.....which is why Samsung "adopted" those UI functions?

Take my word for it....you're gonna lose this argument. Stop trolling for dollars.

Design is not the same thing as technology. One is worthy of a patent and the other isn't.

post #18 of 44

The iPhone Color is going to double Apple's share in a lot of these countries.

post #19 of 44
Quote:

Too bad Samsung does everything really well and not half-assed like you claim.

Just look at their smartphones. The materials and build quality are second to.....a lot of other smartphone HW manufacturers.

post #20 of 44
Quote:

Design is not the same thing as technology. One is worthy of a patent and the other isn't.

So I guess you haven't seen Samsung's phone designs before...and after....the original iPhone.

post #21 of 44
Quote:

So I guess you haven't seen Samsung's phone designs before...and after....the original iPhone.

Way to miss the point. I'll repeat: Design is not the same thing as technology.

Why is it that only Americans fail to understand this? People I've talked to in Europe and Asia all seem to understand this. Is it because math and science levels are so poor in America that people here really think drawing a rectangle counts as technology?

post #22 of 44
Quote:

Why is it that only Americans fail to understand this? People I've talked to in Europe and Asia all seem to understand this. Is it because math and science levels are so poor in America that people here really think drawing a rectangle counts as technology?

Can you debate without slamming a person or a country? Apple are more innovators than inventors and they acknowledge that. 

Sorry I missed your point through all of your spew but I find it convenient of you to ignore my very valid point about Samsung doing a design 180 AFTER the first iPhone....which is arguably the reason why Samsung is now doing so well in the smartphone business.

post #23 of 44
Quote:

Can you debate without slamming a person or a country? Apple are more innovators than inventors and they acknowledge that. 

Sorry I missed your point through all of your spew but I find it convenient of you to ignore my very valid point about Samsung doing a design 180 AFTER the first iPhone.

The only thing Apple did was make a better-looking phone than Samsung.

In terms of form factor, the F700 had a similar shape to the first iPhone. They were both rectangles with rounded corners with a touch screen.

post #24 of 44

Sonysexual is boring the crap out of me

Can't we talk about the news of iPhone growth being fueled by iPhone 4.  It makes me thing growth will be even more fuelled when iPhone 4S is the $0 phone.  What does everyone else think?

post #25 of 44

For god's sake guys... ignore this twat!

There is not one mention of Samsung in the article.... don't let an obvious troll divert the conversation. Do you want to talk about the Kantar figures.... or not.

post #26 of 44
Quote:

The "design" is the software and it's implementation. Hows Samsung going with it's non-American software? Hows that working out for it? Bada is it? Exactly 0.0000001% of its sales.

But I see the point, somewhat. Apple need to get intel to fab the ARM chips if Intel are willing to do it. In fact Apple should invest in a fab with Intel.

Or better - move to Intel mobile chips. Intel works well on my MacBook. In the meantime clearly if the iPhone 4 can make inroads into Android's share in the quarter where the Samsung latest and greatest - was it is S4, or 5, does anybody remember? - then we can only imagine what will happen when the 5c is released. Carnage.

And given the contempt that South Koreans such as yourself have for Americans, time to withdraw the troops and let Kim have his way.

Not until Apple doesn't need Samsung though.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #27 of 44
Quote:

Keep setting us up with serves like that and you trolls wonder why we get aces?

Does it really matter? Actually it does, its always wiser to collect revenue from a multitude of sources than just a few.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #28 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Does it really matter?

It's the argument at hand, so yes.

Do you know how to hold a conversation?

post #29 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

This forum is still missing a thumbs down button.

Bad idea.

Back on topic, the increasing share going to the cheaper models can only accelerate when the new cheaper iPhone is released. Good times.
post #30 of 44
Quote:

Samsung is a vertically-integrated company that uses their own technology they they manufactured by themselves in their own products.

Let that sink in and make you realize how much of an edge Samsung has. Apple can't even engineer their own "retina" screens and had to come crawling back to Samsung when LG and SHARP's technology was sub-par. lol.gif

So how come my Galaxy S4 has a Qualcomm processor?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #31 of 44
Quote:

Ok, I'll make it easier for you Conservatives to understand.

Company A is based on country X.
Company A buys technology from company B and rebrands them so that patriotic citizens from country X thinks Company A hired country X's citizens to engineer the device. In fact, Company A only hires their own citizens for lowly customer support. The high-paying jobs are all outsources to where Company B's country is. Get it?

Stop bringing in South Korea into this. lol.gif
 If a French company was providing most of the tech for the iPhone/iPad, I would say France is doing all the work. This is 100% about Conservatives supporting an American company that hardly contributes anything to the domestic economy. Just because it's an American company doesn't mean America will prosper if its making record profits.

Dude the Koreans are adding little or nothing. This is why Apple can move its assembly lines around. The technology - the arm chips, the software, the Gorrilla glass, the GPS and LTE engineering is all Western. All the asians are doing is the monkey work of assembly.
post #32 of 44

this moron has managed to troll the whole topic with S-crap. we should ignore mentioning S-crap in the future and make google search job harder...

post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

this moron has managed to troll the whole topic with S-crap. we should ignore mentioning S-crap in the future and make google search job harder...

He was banned yesterday.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #34 of 44
This market has become trickier, but Apple is still making the moves.
I'm looking forward to the iPhone 5S, a def upgrade from iPhone4, for me.
post #35 of 44
I fully agree that AAPL is making more profits then Samsung. There was some speculation in the Press if AAPL makes 50% of their operating margin because its revenue is close to 52% of their total revenue. The following are the facts.

Apple's average selling Price for the last 4 quarters is $620 (581, 618, 635, 651).

Average cost of making an iPhone 5 is $207, iPhone 4/4S is $180 (Components cost of iPhone is going down).

So Gross Profit of the iPhones on a average terms is close to 66%.

Average selling Price of an iPad/iPad Mini is $375 and cost of making these iPads is around
$270.
So Gross profit for iPads is around 40%.

iTunes Gross profit we all know is 30%, because Apple gets 30% of everything they sell in the iTunes Store.
Macs estimated gross profit is around 28% approximately.

If you review all the above gross profit among all the products, Apple's iPhone Gross Profit is 70% of all Apple's Profits.
So Apple's Profit is close to 70% of all its profit.

If you properly review samsung's earnings, you will notice that they club smartphones, iPads, PC, Laptops in their revenue.

Another way to find is the net profit of Samsung & Apple for the last 12 months is as follows:

Apple - 37.75 Billion Dollars (70% of all profits for iPhone = 26.5)

Samsung - 19.77 Billion Dollars ( Samsung makes 100 different products which includes smartphones, iPads, PC, TV, refrigerator Plus 100 other Products.) Samsung may not be making more than 50% of all its profits on Smartphones, but even if you assume it makes 70%, then Samsung's Net Profit on smartphones is around $13.83 Billions.

The actual factual profit mentioned by Apple & Samsung shows us that Apple still has 65% of all the profits in the smartphone market trailing 12 months. These are facts based on their actual earnings.
post #36 of 44

the suggestion that windows phone is growing purely and simply because of low end phones is not very accurate. The best selling WP is a mid range phone, followed by the erstwhile flagship 920.

post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy100 View Post

The actual factual profit mentioned by Apple & Samsung shows us that Apple still has 65% of all the profits in the smartphone market trailing 12 months. 

Yep, and Apple's high profits and sales are very dependent on the mass consumer being able to buy iPhones for around $200 or less.  In other words, subsidized.  

There's an almost direct correlation between the amount and availability of subsidies, and the resulting iPhone sales share.

The good news is that means iPhones are a favorite choice when priced close to other phones. 

That's why Wall Street is looking forward to a less expensive iPhone that would sell well in places without subsidies.

Although per-device cash margins will be lower, analysts predict that Apple's total profits will increase due to more sales.  

Not to mention that it would likely eat into Samsung mid-range sales.

post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

There's an almost direct correlation between the amount and availability of subsidies, and the resulting iPhone sales share.

There's also a direct correlation between money and third world-ness. 1oyvey.gif

post #39 of 44
Quote:

There's also a direct correlation between money and third world-ness. 1oyvey.gif

Expensive phones don't sell well without subsidies, even in first world countries  like the US and Japan.  For examples:

In the US, Apple had to drop the price of the very first iPhone by $200 after just two months.  That boosted sales for the holidays, but then sales fell off again until the subsidized iPhone 3G came out for $199.  Then the iPhone became really successful.

In Japan, at full price, iPhone sales were just a blip for years.  Then the iPhone got subsidized down to free or almost free, and adoption exploded.

Again in the US, recently Leap Wireless decided to sell unsubsidized iPhones.  Now it looks like they're going to be on the hook for $100 million worth of unsold devices.

So it's not so much about income, as it is about upfront costs

post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Expensive phones don't sell well without subsidies, even in first world countries  like the US and Japan.

I'd love to see the numbers on the contract-free iPhone specifically. I think that would be interesting, particularly where it's also sold subsidized.
Quote:
In the US, Apple had…

Ah. Nice try.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS phone share growing faster than Android in US, UK and France