or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS phone share growing faster than Android in US, UK and France

iOS phone share growing faster than Android in US, UK and France - Page 2

post #41 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

In the US, Apple had to drop the price of the very first iPhone by $200 after just two months.  That boosted sales for the holidays, but then sales fell off again until the subsidized iPhone 3G came out for $199.  Then the iPhone became really successful.

The reason for the 2nd Gen iPhone to become successful could be due to the fact that they released it outside of the US as well. That, and 3G internet was, obviously, a good selling point.
Quote:
In Japan, at full price, iPhone sales were just a blip for years.  Then the iPhone got subsidized down to free or almost free, and adoption exploded.

Don't know about Japan, but any person stupid enough to buy a subsidized iPhone is just plain dumb: if you want to pay the lowest for your phone get it without a contract: it is almost always cheaper that way. But yes; you do, of course, need to pay upfront.

---

While searching for statistics in unsubsidized iPhones I came across this piece, which tells a story of "Why I won’t buy another subsidized Android phone (and why you shouldn’t, either)"
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #42 of 44
Yeah that's easy to say. I intend my next iPhone to be unsubsidised because I want PAYG but forking out 679€ for the cheapest one doesn't work for me. Nor do I want the 4S - that's what I have. But I do want to leave a contract.

It would be a simple sell at <400€. Bring on the 5c.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #43 of 44

the iphone is cross subsidised and often cheaper with a contract, at least it is in the uk

there are a lot of dumb people in the uk saving about £100 by getting a subsidised phone...

post #44 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Yeah that's easy to say. I intend my next iPhone to be unsubsidised because I want PAYG but forking out 679€ for the cheapest one doesn't work for me. Nor do I want the 4S - that's what I have. But I do want to leave a contract.

It would be a simple sell at <400€. Bring on the 5c.

Indeed. And if you upgrade every single gen then the costs become even lower as the resell price is pretty high.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS phone share growing faster than Android in US, UK and France