or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Foxconn reportedly set to hire 90K workers for iPhone 5S production ramp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Foxconn reportedly set to hire 90K workers for iPhone 5S production ramp - Page 2

post #41 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

All use stats ever and the fact that people in these third world countries aren't affording $50 a month data plans if they're being idiots and whining about how a flagship high-end phone is $400 to own outright.

What? Can you repeat that again?

You can purchase smartphones for $100 (unsubsidised), this is a fact.

Also, in these third world countries you talk about, the data plans aren't $50 a month
post #42 of 61
C for China? At least inside Cupertino.

Would be funny (albeit unlikely) if 5C was available only or at least cheaper on China. Will we then see Americans lining up in Shanghai and Hong Kong to bring them back? 1smile.gif
post #43 of 61
I will buy 5C for myself and 5S for each of my children maybe one for my so-in-law too.
post #44 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post


Emerging markets are already buying Android phones for $100

The lowest cost iPhone is currently $450

How inexpensive do you think the plastic iPhone will be? 1eek.gif

It doesn't matter if it is cheaper. And better, with the 5 internals than the 4S would have been. If they can keep costs down, and are prepared to reduce margins a bit, it could be sold at $350 or so. Thats a huge sweet spot.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #45 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

It doesn't matter if it is cheaper. And better, with the 5 internals than the 4S would have been. If they can keep costs down, and are prepared to reduce margins a bit, it could be sold at $350 or so. Thats a huge sweet spot.

Yeah I'm thinking $350 is a good starting price for it.

I can see this device having an entry level model that's only available in white, and only for sale unsubsidized.

Possibly 8GB with maybe a 5MP camera and an A6 to help iOS 7 remain snappy.

Then for $449 and $549 ($0 and $99 on 2 year contract) we'll have the colorful models with 16GB and 32GB storage and possibly 8MP cameras.

The upsale of the higher storage colorful models will help keep margins high in general, while the white low end model will likely sell well in emerging markets.
post #46 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

You can purchase smartphones for $100 (unsubsidised), this is a fact.

Yeah, can't purchase an iPhone for that.
Quote:
Also, in these third world countries you talk about, the data plans aren't $50 a month

Indeed! Indeed; thank you. I'm really… bothered by that.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #47 of 61

I cannot wait for the iPhone 5C. If it is possible I am going to get a yellow one. I also think the plastic shell will make the phone more resistant to screen cracks when dropped. And maybe next year a 5 inch version of the iPhone 5C will be available.

post #48 of 61
I thought no one was buying iPhones anymore. Hasn't the entire world decided to buy Samsung Galaxy S4s instead because iPhone displays are too tiny to see.
post #49 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, can't purchase an iPhone for that.

So, that is Apples fault, not mine. Still doesn't change the fact that you can purchase a smartphone outright for $100
post #50 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

90,000? 

NINETY THOUSAND? 

Those numbers stagger me. Do they have factories with capacity to fit an extra 90,000 people, say 30,000 with shift work? Just like that?

I can't fathom how an EXTRA 90,000 people are needed to produce the next iPhone. Is Apple planning on selling two to every one on the planet?

Apple sold an average of 350,000 iPhones... EVERY DAY... last quarter. And that was a low quarter!

Once they sold over 530,000 iPhones a day.

So yeah... they need a lot of people making them. I'm guessing they're planning on the iPhone 5C and 5S selling quite well.
post #51 of 61

So do we believe that those 90,000 workers they want to hire already have manufacturing skills making electronics? I don't. Imagine if Apple were manufacturing products here. They would create a huge boost to the economy. If Apple charged $10 more per phone or kept $10 less per phone sold it could pay an American worker a really good salary or hourly wage. How many phones per hour does someone working in phone assembly touch? If each person only touches ten phones per hour then how much per hour would Apple need to add to those phones to pay somebody $15 per hour? Not much. What if the workers work on fifty phones per hour?

post #52 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

So do we believe that those 90,000 workers they want to hire already have manufacturing skills making electronics? I don't. Imagine if Apple were manufacturing products here. They would create a huge boost to the economy. If Apple charged $10 more per phone or kept $10 less per phone sold it could pay an American worker a really good salary or hourly wage. How many phones per hour does someone working in phone assembly touch? If each person only touches ten phones per hour then how much per hour would Apple need to add to those phones to pay somebody $15 per hour? Not much. What if the workers work on fifty phones per hour?

Couldn't you have just said "Wahh wahh, Apple is Satan for not bringing jobs here, wahh wahh"? It's, like, a tenth of the words and an identical message.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #53 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Once they sold over 530,000 iPhones a day.
So yeah... they need a lot of people making them.

 

Simplistically, 540,000 iPhones  /  90,000 workers = only 6 iPhones per worker per day 

 

Alas, each worker can't make an entire phone.  I remember reading somewhere that each iPhone goes through 100 workers.  Sounds excessive, but let's use it as a thought exercise:

 

  • 90,000 people / 3 shifts a day = 30,000 workers at any one time.
  • 30,000 people / 100 people per line = 300 fully staffed assembly lines.
  • 540,000 iPhones / 300 assembly lines = 1800 phones per day per line.
  • 1800 phones / 24 hours = 75 phones per hour per line = 1.25 phones per minute per line

 

Does that make sense?   Did I goof somewhere?

post #54 of 61
I don't like that Apple is making a "cheaper" iPhone for everyone else. I actually loved Apple more when it wasn't as popular as it is now. Now every moron and his mother will have the devices. I remember when it used to be cool to have the newest gadgets in the market. Now EVERYONE has to have them. Not so cool anymore. Apple is selling out for numbers and profit. I get it, they're a company and they want to over saturate the market, like anyone else. Oh well... At least I can separate myself from others by developing and actually using Apple technology for my work. . .
post #55 of 61

If you use Apple products to be "cool" I would say you are in the minority. The rest of us choose Apple products because they work best for us.

post #56 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by erix43 View Post

I don't like that Apple is making a "cheaper" iPhone for everyone else. I actually loved Apple more when it wasn't as popular as it is now. Now every moron and his mother will have the devices. I remember when it used to be cool to have the newest gadgets in the market. Now EVERYONE has to have them. Not so cool anymore. Apple is selling out for numbers and profit. I get it, they're a company and they want to over saturate the market, like anyone else. Oh well... At least I can separate myself from others by developing and actually using Apple technology for my work. . .

Apple will still have the high end model for those that want to look cool and have the latest and greatest.
post #57 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Simplistically, 540,000 iPhones  /  90,000 workers = only 6 iPhones per worker per day 

Alas, each worker can't make an entire phone.  I remember reading somewhere that each iPhone goes through 100 workers.  Sounds excessive, but let's use it as a thought exercise:
  • 90,000 people / 3 shifts a day = 30,000 workers at any one time.
  • 30,000 people / 100 people per line = 300 fully staffed assembly lines.
  • 540,000 iPhones / 300 assembly lines = 1800 phones per day per line.
  • 1800 phones / 24 hours = 75 phones per hour per line = 1.25 phones per minute per line

Does that make sense?   Did I goof somewhere?

Sounds good to me.... I hate math.

All I was saying is that Foxconn is hiring more workers to make iPhones because Apple needs to make more of them.
post #58 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

All I was saying is that Foxconn is hiring more workers to make iPhones because Apple needs to make more of them.

 

At first I was skeptical, but it sure looks like you're right.

post #59 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Couldn't you have just said "Wahh wahh, Apple is Satan for not bringing jobs here, wahh wahh"? It's, like, a tenth of the words and an identical message.


If Apple is smart about its marketing it would be sure to have people reading the big public forums that focus on their products. Doing so would give them direct insight into what people think about the products made, the bugs that happen, the features people want, and the way people feel about the company and what it could be doing. Apple isn't Satan. Apple is putting profits before the welfare of American citizens and its economy.

 

Since there isn't any way to know exactly who owns all of the Apple stock, it just might be true that most of it is owned by people who don't live in the USA. It is a big international company that has millions of shares traded by large pension funds, hedge funds, mutual funds, and individuals. What we do know is that it was founded in the USA and its top executives are American citizens. It is considered an American company. Almost all of its manufacturing is done in China.

 

If Apple really wanted to save money it could move its entire operations to China along with all of its English speaking management team and engineers. Everything could be in one place for the sake of profits; but they aren't doing that. They feel that America is their home and that their products are "Proudly developed in California." If management feels that their jobs should remain in California so that they can have the good life, then they should also feel obliged to help other Americans have a good life too by moving manufacturing to the USA. If they feel so strongly that Apple should remain an American company then they should extend that pride to making it a manufacturing company instead of the fabless one that it is now. Apple seemed proud to proclaim that Apple indirectly creates 600,000 jobs in the USA. If that made them proud then they could have even more pride if they employed 200,000 people directly in the manufacturing sector within the USA. That would spur the creation of even more than the 600,000 from the Chinese products sold around the world with the Apple brand stamped on them. 

post #60 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

If they feel so strongly that Apple should remain an American company then they should extend that pride to making it a manufacturing company instead of the fabless one that it is now. Apple seemed proud to proclaim that Apple indirectly creates 600,000 jobs in the USA. If that made them proud then they could have even more pride if they employed 200,000 people directly in the manufacturing sector within the USA. That would spur the creation of even more than the 600,000 from the Chinese products sold around the world with the Apple brand stamped on them. 

The chips Apple uses are already made in Texas. That they're shipped across the ocean to be assembled is another issue entirely. For security's sake, the best thing to do is have an automated assembly plant quite close to where the chips are made, watched over by technicians, et. al. Still, that's a huge investment, hampered by regulations.

We'll get there, sure, but not for a few decades.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #61 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The chips Apple uses are already made in Texas. 

 

Some are.  By Samsung, who has invested $15 billion in its Austin chip factories and research facilities, even though it looks like Apple might try to buy chips from elsewhere in the future.

 

Quote:
That they're shipped across the ocean to be assembled is another issue entirely. For security's sake, the best thing to do is have an automated assembly plant quite close to where the chips are made, watched over by technicians, et. al. Still, that's a huge investment, hampered by regulations.

We'll get there, sure, but not for a few decades.

 

Not sure where the circuit boards are being made, but Motorola sold some of their overseas manufacturing facilities and is going to instead be assembling the new Moto X phone in Fort Worth.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Foxconn reportedly set to hire 90K workers for iPhone 5S production ramp