or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Leaked photos show off mini-like rear case of Apple's supposed next-gen iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Leaked photos show off mini-like rear case of Apple's supposed next-gen iPad

post #1 of 32
Thread Starter 
The fifth generation of Apple's full-sized iPad isn't expected to see release until this fall, but new images have emerged showing what may be the rear casing of the device, and it appears to take sizable design cues from the iPad mini.



The new images showed up Thursday on Fanatic Fone, revealing a rear casing that looks similar in construction to last year's iPad mini. Reportedly, the dimensions of the case are 24x16.8 centimeters (9.45x6.61 inches), and it weighs only 100 grams (3.53 ounces).

The case is said to have a shorter distance than its predecessors between the border and the screen, measuring about 3mm. As is the case with the mini, there are two holes cut out for the volume buttons, and the loud speaker is placed on the bottom of the rear housing.



Rumors began flying about the build of the fifth-generation iPad shortly after the revelation of the iPad mini. Those rumors have consistently predicted that the device will take its design cues from its smaller counterpart.

The months since the iPad mini's unveiling have seen multiple supposed leaks of a rear casing for the device, all largely adhering to the same build.



Industry observers believe that the next-generation iPad will be 25 percent lighter than its predecessor and 15 percent thinner. It may also carry a GF2 touch panel, a change from the current iPad's GG touch tech, which would aid in lowering power consumption. Further, the fifth-generation iPad could see the introduction of Apple's A7X processor, which would presumably give it a performance boost over its predecessor.

post #2 of 32

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/01/silver-ipad-5-rear-shell-appears-in-new-photos-with-ipad-mini-styling/

post #3 of 32
Yep yep...my iPad 2 will be sold as soon as this is announced. Gotta love the resale value of Apple products...
post #4 of 32
Hmm...first a retina mini leak, now a 5th gen with mini design leak. Is it just a coincidence that these leaks are coming out the same day as the Moto X announcement? Somehow I think not.
post #5 of 32

This update makes me want to stick with the 9.7 iPad instead of switching to the retina Mini when I upgrade.  Of course, that's exactly why it would be brilliant for Apple to release this first and hold off on the retina Mini.

post #6 of 32
It's looks fake. As in the apple logo cutout is a little bit off.
post #7 of 32
What, no stereo speakers? I would expect that. Stereo mics - I don't think so; it's terrible enough to see these voice memo's popup in iTunes and listening to your own voice.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #8 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

This update makes me want to stick with the 9.7 iPad instead of switching to the retina Mini when I upgrade.  Of course, that's exactly why it would be brilliant for Apple to release this first and hold off on the retina Mini.
Why is that brilliant when its obvious a lot of people prefer the mini display size? I'm sure Apple would rather the mini cannibalize full size iPad sales than people buy a Nexus 7 or Kindle.
post #9 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

What, no stereo speakers? I would expect that. Stereo mics - I don't think so; it's terrible enough to see these voice memo's popup in iTunes and listening to your own voice.

Stereo speakers are a waste in a small device because you can't get stereo separation with them so close to each other.

post #10 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

What, no stereo speakers? I would expect that. Stereo mics - I don't think so; it's terrible enough to see these voice memo's popup in iTunes and listening to your own voice.

Probably left and right of the middle. Looks like a gap there.

What I would give for stereo and FRONT facing speakers. I know there are aesthetic issues, but I love the sound quality on the one x. Rear speakers that get muffled by your hand or lap or table or case just can't compete.
post #11 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

It's looks fake. As in the apple logo cutout is a little bit off.

 

No, you are wrong on that assumption. It's the same look from the iPad 4. It's just the inside of the shell that always looks like that. See link below, iPad 4: http://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/DXkkmV6lcQLqBlLJ.huge
post #12 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

What I would give for stereo and FRONT facing speakers. I know there are aesthetic issues, but I love the sound quality on the one x. Rear speakers that get muffled by your hand or lap or table or case just can't compete.

I agree and Disagree.  It's give and take. I want the front-facing sound without the incredibly ugly aesthetics of it.  But we can't have our cake and eat it too. I think Apple would rather you just wear headphones if you care about "quality" and you can have "good enough" if you just want to hear.

 

But that said- these speakers are on the bottom- like the mini.  Currently, the speaker is on the back right of the iPad.  I'm curious if this will be louder because there will be 2 speakers (albeit smaller speaker area).

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #13 of 32
It looks so beautiful the shape. I will be getting one for sure.
post #14 of 32

That's the inside of the case, so the plastic piece is larger than the logo and may be affixed with adhesive, etc.

post #15 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

It's looks fake. As in the apple logo cutout is a little bit off.

Not a cutout; the silver plate is already in place.
post #16 of 32

Dammit, I first saw the image wrong as was thinking in my head "Amazing! 4 speakers, one for each corner" then I looked close and was sad.

-QAMF

Active on S}A forums.  S|A student level subscriber.  Don't claim to know what is in the articles.

Reply

Active on S}A forums.  S|A student level subscriber.  Don't claim to know what is in the articles.

Reply
post #17 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Stereo speakers are a waste in a small device because you can't get stereo separation with them so close to each other.

Not sure why people don't understand this (even more so on a phone). And then you also have the "which is left and which is right" issue (when using in landscape vs portrait). So you'd really at least 3 speakers so it could always be "stereo" in any orientation and even then, the sound quality and stereo effect would be quite suspect. If you want decent sound, use headphones.

post #18 of 32
GF/2 will save on thickness and weight. This is the first time I've seen it linked to power saving. Can anyone confirm? I think it's being confused with IGZO, which would save power, and thus battery size, i.e., more thickness and weight. GF/2, where the touch sensor layer is a film bonded directly to the glass, can be used with IGZO screens too, as far as I know.

I'd better stop. Rhymes are pressing from the depths to be heard. IGZOphilia strikes deep, into your mind it will creep . . .

I wish for a display expert to be posting here. I don't see much real info out there.
post #19 of 32
If the measurements are correct, it looks like they are losing around 1.7cm from the width of the ipad 4th gen. A much thinner bezel. I think it will look really nice.
post #20 of 32
I was hoping for a flash LED like on the excellent 5th gen iPod Touch but I don't see a hole for it. That thing is vastly more useful as a flashlight. It is really bright and makes getting around in the dark a breeze.
post #21 of 32
It is amazing how many leaks there are for the iPhone, iPad mini, iPad! Nearly every day for the entire month of July there was at least one story about a leak.

The funniest leaks are from the WSJ. The paper has been a joke since Rupert took over. The paper actually thinks its sources know more than other sources. What has become common for the paper is it waits for multiple leakers to present the same information then decides to write an article about the information.
post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

What, no stereo speakers? I would expect that. Stereo mics - I don't think so; it's terrible enough to see these voice memo's popup in iTunes and listening to your own voice.

I was thinking the same, but then I saw the double speaker grills at the bottom.

I'm pretty sure the mini has stereo speakers, so it's likely to be on the bigger one.
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordy View Post

Yep yep...my iPad 2 will be sold as soon as this is announced. Gotta love the resale value of Apple products...

 

Yep, yep, same here. For me, retina on the ipad could not see the difference to upgrade (MacBook different story... WOW, amazing computer). But now the ipad 2 seems to be getting sluggish on web pages etc. So, probably will update.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Hmm...first a retina mini leak, now a 5th gen with mini design leak. Is it just a coincidence that these leaks are coming out the same day as the Moto X announcement? Somehow I think not.

What's a Moto X?

post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What's a Moto X?
The new Motorola phone being announced today.
post #26 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

What, no stereo speakers? I would expect that. Stereo mics - I don't think so; it's terrible enough to see these voice memo's popup in iTunes and listening to your own voice.
Since the iPad mini has stereo speakers, it stands to reason that this will as well. You are simply wrong.
post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

Not sure why people don't understand this (even more so on a phone). And then you also have the "which is left and which is right" issue (when using in landscape vs portrait). So you'd really at least 3 speakers so it could always be "stereo" in any orientation and even then, the sound quality and stereo effect would be quite suspect. If you want decent sound, use headphones.

Appleinsider showed us the Apple patent for orientation controlled selective speakers a few months back.
post #28 of 32
It's beautiful!!!

iTunes Radio - Apple TV with Wifi AC - Gold Anodized Aluminum iPhone - Mac Pro: September - November 2013

 

Reply

iTunes Radio - Apple TV with Wifi AC - Gold Anodized Aluminum iPhone - Mac Pro: September - November 2013

 

Reply
post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


Why is that brilliant when its obvious a lot of people prefer the mini display size? I'm sure Apple would rather the mini cannibalize full size iPad sales than people buy a Nexus 7 or Kindle.

 

It is brilliant specifically for that assumed reason: a lot of people prefer the mini display size.

 

If you've got two things that sell really well, but one of them sells a bit better, you'd make more money selling the lesser of the two first for a period of time.  If you consider purchasing habits of early adopters, the following should seem obvious: you'll get people who were on the fence to buy early, and some of those people will STILL buy when you release the better item.

 

If you release the mini first and everyone blows their load, sales for the new full size will be disappointing.

 

The only remaining alternative is to release them simultaneously... but for what reason?  To have a true measure of which item is preferred?  If Apple already knows which item has higher demand, and I think it's safe to assume they do, they would be fools not to play the market accordingly.

post #30 of 32
Just waiting to grab one. Apple exactly doing the right thing. I was just dreaming of this ipad 9.7 with the outlook of mini which i had even posted a comment on this last year. Once this is rolled out it wud be a huge hit.
post #31 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why is that brilliant when its obvious a lot of people prefer the mini display size? I'm sure Apple would rather the mini cannibalize full size iPad sales than people buy a Nexus 7 or Kindle.
Because in reality those devices are not iPad competition. People with exceptionally amateur and limited thought capacity just assume that. The only competition for iPad is iPad.
post #32 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post


Because in reality those devices are not iPad competition. People with exceptionally amateur and limited thought capacity just assume that. The only competition for iPad is iPad.

Eh, I was going to get an ipad for watching videos, than I saw the nook HD+... and a week later it was on sale.

price-wise competition?  essentially nothing

In terms of uses?  There are a lot of competition.

A large point of tablets is entertainment.  The Kindle and nook are based fully around that.  the nexus 7, not so much.

That being said, Android has hurt my head, and I gave up even trying to use the noob HD+ as a device to browser the internet with also.

-QAMF

Active on S}A forums.  S|A student level subscriber.  Don't claim to know what is in the articles.

Reply

Active on S}A forums.  S|A student level subscriber.  Don't claim to know what is in the articles.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Leaked photos show off mini-like rear case of Apple's supposed next-gen iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Leaked photos show off mini-like rear case of Apple's supposed next-gen iPad