or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Flex cable claimed to be from Apple's 6th-gen iPod touch hints at 2013 update

Flex cable claimed to be from Apple's 6th-gen iPod touch hints at 2013 update

post #1 of 32
While little has been said of a potential update to Apple's iPod touch media player this fall, a new component claimed to be from a sixth-generation model suggests a refresh could be in the works.

iPod touch

A picture showing a flex cable claimed to be from the next iPod touch was spotted on Thursday by Letem Svetem Applem. The cable is said to connect the lock and volume buttons on the top of the device to the internal hardware.

The part does not suggest what, if any, changes may be made to a new model this year. In the past, Apple has used components from last year's iPhone model to power the latest iPod touch, which would give a rumored sixth-gen model an A6 processor.

Last year, the iPod touch was given its most significant redesign in some time, adding a taller 4-inch Retina display, and also including a wrist strap that attaches to a retracting "Loop" holder on the back of the device.

Apple also issued a surprise update in May when it introduced an entry-level 16-gigabyte iPod touch for $229, lacking the wrist strap or rear facing iSight camera. It also lacks the color options of the higher-capacity models, being offered in just black-on-silver. That model replaced a legacy fifth-generation 16-gigabyte version Apple had previously offered.

Though the iPod lineup is no longer a major part of Apple's overall business, the company has repeatedly said that the iPod touch accounts for more than half of all iPod sales. The device also serves as an important entry-level iOS device for the company, offering access to the App Store and iOS ecosystem for an entry price of $229, without the need for a smartphone contract or data plan.
post #2 of 32
The beat goes on... http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UBZb9lJK6LM&feature=plpp
Edited by THEMAC1NT0SH - 8/1/13 at 10:14am
post #3 of 32
I want it to be THINERRRR ! 1biggrin.gif
post #4 of 32
Thinner?
So you can shave with it???
post #5 of 32
I wish the iPod became a full-fledged fitness device for cycling, running, etc.
post #6 of 32
"Apple also issued a surprise update in May when it introduced an entry-level 16-gigabyte iPod touch for $229, lacking the wrist strap or forward facing iSight camera."

That is incorrect. The 16GB version has a FaceTime camera and lacks a rear camera.
post #7 of 32
I bet everything with a home button is getting a fingerprint scanner
post #8 of 32
I don't see any major change. Hopefully a re-design. But I don't see a major change going to happen
post #9 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeiP5 View Post

I don't see any major change. Hopefully a re-design. But I don't see a major change going to happen
The iPod touch was just redesigned last year. Why does it need to be redesigned again?
post #10 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The iPod touch was just redesigned last year. Why does it need to be redesigned again?

Agreed, the Touch looks great. Very fresh, modern, and highly desirable.

I expect an A6 and new color options, probably to go with iOS 7 and the iPhone 5C.

post #11 of 32
What year does the iPhone replace the iPod touch? That's the question.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #12 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

And A very stupid question that is.
post #13 of 32
It's time the iPod touch went up to 128GB or more. Come on Apple!
post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #15 of 32

Quote:
That model replaced a legacy fifth-generation 16-gigabyte version Apple had previously offered.

Correction: the 2013 16GB model replaced the legacy fourth-generation version.

post #16 of 32

I just hope they incorporate the better quality home button found in the current iPhone 5.

post #17 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

I bet everything with a home button is getting a fingerprint scanner

I just hope they incorporate the better quality home button found in the current iPhone 5.

Home much could that cost?

post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonimus View Post

Home much could that cost?

Please tell me that was intended to be a pun.
post #19 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeiP5 View Post

Uhh people... Flip the right image over and you see it matches the left image. I don't see any major changes either. Heck, I don't see any minor changes.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #20 of 32

The current iPod Touch pretty much breezes through anything you throw at it.  A faster processor would only make it that much better.

Of all the Apple products out there and their amazing designs- the iPad Mini, iMac, Retina MacBook Pro, etc.  In my opinion, the iPod Touch is the most impressive design of all of them.  It's so thin and light it makes the iPhone feel like a brick.

I remember when I picked up my iPhone 5 vs my 4S and thought "wow" because I was impressed with the weight and size.  But once I held the Touch I thought "How could they make it this thin and light?"

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #21 of 32

I love my 5th Gen iPod touch, (Plants VS Zombies 2 just got the iOS 7 patch :D anyways), I don't see apple changing the design only after 1 year after it already had a redesign (i think they did it on the original shuffle?)
More so because the iPhone 5 & the iPad mini, probably the 5th gen iPad is taking similar design queues.
apple sometimes streamlines internal design on stuff, new smaller versions on the old CPUs free up space, smaller logic board thingys, so the cables need to be redesigned.

post #22 of 32
Quote:

I think you have that backwards.  With the way LTE and wireless data is going, i'd expect all telephony-based chips to be gone in the next several years and everything is via data connection.

I've been waiting for a 3G or LTE iPod touch for years now.  besides price/value there's really nothing stopping apple from creating apps that dial/text phone numbers.  Exactly the way that Google Voice does.

post #23 of 32
It needs to be said by someone, wrongly or not:

Any IGZO at all means all must go IGZO.

Tim said they were going to have a busy Fall..
post #24 of 32
Please consider this very seriously...I want an ipod touch with a six inch screen or perhaps a 6.5 inch screen ...with a 128gb memory and a very huge long life battery and a fantastic camera with low light snap capability.It would possibly be called: BABY IPAD....and I would be a very proud owner of such a device.
It was thanks to the ipod touch that the ipad was born and so a beautiful full circle as a thank you to the ipod touch has to be a six inch or a six inch device .
So please, Apple....do your best to think this through and please bring out this big Pod touch or baby ipad....Please make me happy.I want a device like this to carry with me all the time.
post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by maaen View Post

Please consider this very seriously...I want an ipod touch with a six inch screen or perhaps a 6.5 inch screen ...with a 128gb memory and a very huge long life battery and a fantastic camera with low light snap capability.It would possibly be called: BABY IPAD....and I would be a very proud owner of such a device.
It was thanks to the ipod touch that the ipad was born and so a beautiful full circle as a thank you to the ipod touch has to be a six inch or a six inch device .
So please, Apple....do your best to think this through and please bring out this big Pod touch or baby ipad....Please make me happy.I want a device like this to carry with me all the time.

This will never happen. Ever. They make a 7.9" screen already.

If you need your screens in .1" increments, buy someone else.

post #26 of 32
Not quite 1 inch ..more like 2 inches or near enough.....but it is not about increments or reduction in size...but more like a 6 inch on a diagonal...If Apple cared enough about a baby ipad....they would think this out thoroughly. What I am saying is very much possible and there would be a rejuvenation of the media player market around the idea of ipod touch.I know I could go to get myself a sony ultra z or the Samsung Note 3 and those devices will also allow for micro sd cards for memory expansion purposes ....but this suggestion from an ordinary consumer like myself is to try to get Apple to see sense in anin between product which will sell in millions if only Apple got round to making it.Even the Apple man in Elisium will see sense now that he is in a happy place and from there he would give his blessings
post #27 of 32
Quote:

If Apple cared enough about a baby iPad….they would think this out thoroughly.

Well, sure. They don't, though.
Quote:
What I am saying is very much possible and there would be a rejuvenation of the media player market around the idea of iPod touch.

Not really, no. Neither of those things.
Quote:
…this suggestion from an ordinary consumer like myself is to try to get Apple to see sense in anon between product which will sell in millions if only Apple got round to making it.

A single suggestion for a product for which no one else is clamoring and which the industry is abandoning ≠ millions.
Quote:
Even the Apple man in Elisium will see sense now that he is in a happy place and from there he would give his blessings

That's just tasteless.

post #28 of 32
Sorry if that sounds disrespectful it was not meant to ...but the idea is that the environment has changed a lot since the passing of the great man and Apple really does need to think about the competition...sure it may be working on some as yet unknown and secret research projects but in the realm of media players the ipod can still live a long and useful life if the screen size increased somewhat....somewhere in the region of 6 inches...the device would have a successful future free of contractual obligations with a decent camera and a decent battery and a 128gb of memory and wifi plus gps....and nfc.I love the ipod touch but I do not want to be blind to its limitations and I have always felt the screen size to be too small.I do not like to look at details of parts of maps.and files...it would be so good to view a larger file section and map...quite apart from watching a movie or video or using a.relatively large keyboard.....I just hope that Apple has an insider who checks out these thoughts.and gets the messages across to the right place so they can at.least think it through.Please accept my apology if some of my words sounded not so nice.. I have a great respect for the man in heaven..and may he rest in peace.
post #29 of 32
Quote:

…the idea is that the environment has changed a lot since the passing of the great man…

And it's fine to have that idea, but you'll need proof. It has only been two years.
Quote:
…in the realm of media players the iPod can still live a long and useful life if the screen size increased somewhat…

What makes you think that? All larger screened PMPs do more poorly.

Sounds like you just want an iPad instead.

post #30 of 32
Apple have the machinery and researchers to make the impossible possible and they already have the ipod touch and the ipad and the mini ....A slightly smaller screen size than the ipad mini would prove to be a very successful device ...It would be like an ipod touch but a big big ipod touch and it would sit inbetween the ipad and the ipod and it would be an amazing device ...coming from Apple it would be a very sexy looking gadget...and I am sure that a whole lot of people would go crazy for it around the world...and I would call it baby ipad.
post #31 of 32
Quote:

…in-between the iPad and the iPod…

Apple doesn't need to fill in every single "gap". There aren't gaps.

post #32 of 32
WE SHALL SEE WHAT TRANSPIRES NOW ..I HAVE PUT OUT MY THOUGHTS ...MAYBE THEY WILL BEAR FRUIT ...MAYBE NOT....In the meantime I will live with my 64 gb 4th generation ipod touch and I will possibly buy the Note 3 and the Note 12.2 when that.comes out ...but I will be wishing and hoping that Apple will do itself proud and bring out a Baby Ipad about the size of a sixth inch screen.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Flex cable claimed to be from Apple's 6th-gen iPod touch hints at 2013 update