or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › airport

airport

post #1 of 16
I have airport extreme connected to my 12" pb it works great, but I cannot get the wife's graphire ibook to connect to the airport base. What do I need to do.
We just got these apples this week and are very new to apple. If you are wondering the wife's ibook is new, I got it for $400 on the compusa auction.
Thanks for any help
I don't know what it was ....but I like it!
post #2 of 16
Moving to Genius Bar...
post #3 of 16
Your wifes machine has an airport card installed (yes?) and it isn't connecting. In your system prefs-->network settings-->airport - is airport turned on? Click on the pulldown and go to network port configurations to turn it on if it is off - you also should drag airport to the top - it will attempt to use airport before anything else that way. In the TCP/IP tab, is it set to use DHCP? Do you have dns servers set for your 12" - if you do are they the same for her machine?

Does it work yet?
Anyone for pie?
Anyone for pie?
post #4 of 16
posted 02-19-2003 01:49 PM Â*Â*Â* Â*Â* Â*Â* Â* Â*Â* Â* Â* Â*Â*
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does it work yet?
No it dosen;t work yet , as I said I am very new to mac
and am having a difficult time finding the proper icons to click to get to commands
Yes the airport card is installed and it appears to work. I can connect to my powerbook......computer to computer but the airport card cannot detect the airport network.
I can't seem to get to the right screen to check the DHCP settings.. Is it possible that I have a bad airport card or connection? Seems if that were true I couldn't connect computer to computer.
post #5 of 16
you are probably running OS 9 on the graphite iBook...

the instructions are a bit different for that OS.

I am not running 9 currently so I cont really help you very much, but that will probably put the thread back on track

did you try using the airport setup assistant in the apple extras folder?

how is the base station connected to the internet?
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #6 of 16
Yes the ibook is os9
The base uses a modem to dial up. Any other items I can check.
thanks
post #7 of 16
ooooohhhhh dialup..... what ISP?
I have no clUE how to setup the BS for dialup with even one computer, let alone 2.

do you want them to be able to go online at the same time? i dont even know if that is possible...

[ 02-19-2003: Message edited by: Paul ]</p>
post #8 of 16
I want to be able to access the abs with the ibook. The abs is suppose to support up to 50 user at one time. As it stands now the ibook can't detect the abs but the powerbook will and it uses the abs to dail my isp.
Would a software upgrade help?
jp
post #9 of 16
I went ot the apple store in Albany NY and asked about the airport. It seems tha airport extreme needs os 10 or better to work. So until I install that on the ibook he airport will not work with the ibook
thanks
post #10 of 16
[quote]Originally posted by jp9:
<strong>I went ot the apple store in Albany NY and asked about the airport. It seems tha airport extreme needs os 10 or better to work. So until I install that on the ibook he airport will not work with the ibook
thanks</strong><hr></blockquote>

I dont know why that would be any different it should just still work...

did you try the airport setup assistant?

what ISP are you using?

are you sure Airport is on in the iBook?

from the airport control strip the ABS isnt showing up at all on the iBook, but it is showing up on the PB...

who did you ask in the apple store? some of the salespeople are retarded....
post #11 of 16
<strong>I went ot the apple store in Albany NY and asked about the airport. It seems tha airport extreme needs os 10 or better to work. So until I install that on the ibook he airport will not work with the ibook
thanks</strong><hr></blockquote>

No no no they're wrong. I got my wife's "old" iBook to connect to the new powerbook. I wasn't able to repeat it thought. My only hints are to be sure that the powerbook has everything on, give it a name and password, turning powerbook airport off and on helps the iBook see the powerbook. Good luck.
post #12 of 16
Update
The wife's ibook is on line now.
I broke down and took it to an apple tech service center ,they kept the ibook telling me it had to be a hardware problem. I wasn't back to my office 30 min when I got a call telling me the airport was working. They said it was a software problem. I had the oldest version of os9. The tech installed an os9 update . The airport works now.
I picked up os 10 with the updates and am installing that now.
Thanks for the help
ps the sales guy in Albany was no retard but I didn't need os 10 just an os9 update.
post #13 of 16
<strong>The tech installed an os9 update . The airport works now.
I picked up os 10 with the updates and am installing that now.
Thanks for the help
ps the sales guy in Albany was no retard but I didn't need os 10 just an os9 update.</strong><hr></blockquote>

never ask a sales guy a technical question... thats what the genius bar is for...

IMHO you are better off running 9 (8.6) on that iBook 9.1 should cut it 9.2 is not necessary....

but if you use X make sure you max the ram (288 i believe) and run in thousands of colors and turn off all gfx intensive things like dock bouncing and the genie effect...
post #14 of 16
Hum? I'll check the updates on the wife's iBook. Thanks for posting back.
post #15 of 16
regarding the graphire iBook and OSX .... there is NO PROBLEM !!!!!

I am running X.2.4 on mine (iBook SE @ 466mHtz) with 320MB ram. You'll notice a difference between this and the G4 books, but the performance is just fine... I highly recomend OS X.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #16 of 16
[quote]Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot:
<strong>regarding the graphire iBook and OSX .... there is NO PROBLEM !!!!!

I am running X.2.4 on mine (iBook SE @ 466mHtz) with 320MB ram. You'll notice a difference between this and the G4 books, but the performance is just fine... I highly recomend OS X.</strong><hr></blockquote>

OH! i thought it was one of the first iBooks (233 G3 32 soldered 3 gig)
that series should be fine...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › airport