or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Well it looks like I'm no longer in remission

Well it looks like I'm no longer in remission

post #1 of 105
I decided to remove this post, I'm sure none of you want to hear about my medical troubles. This isn't the board to do it in. I apologise if I bummed any of you out after reading about my dilemma. I will probably stop coming here for a while though so I would like to say thank you to everyone who made this forum one of the best I've had the pleasure to visit.
Edited by Relic - 8/2/13 at 3:06am
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #2 of 105
There's another member who posted recently about having cancer but also edited the post to remove it. It is quite depressing to read about but that pales in comparison to how people feel that have suffered from it and need some comforting. Are you able to get a mastectomy like Angelina Jolie had recently and Christina Applegate? They both seemed to recover quite quickly from it. I think Angelina Jolie had reconstructive surgery too in order to retain the shape. Your family are there to look after you when things like this happen so while it will probably upset them, they should know about it. Just don't do the whole 'everybody take a seat, I have bad news' setup because those are very uncomfortable. If you mention it to your husband first, he can filter it to your kids if needs be. Hopefully you will make it through it and check back in to let us know.
post #3 of 105
Thank you Marvin for the kind words. I fought with breast cancer already for two years. I had a good year and a half of remission but it's back and has spread to my lungs. My survival rate has decreased exponentially because of it. I'll probably pop in every once in a while as there isn't much to do when your going through chemo and post operations.
post #4 of 105
Haven't read about that. Personally I think it shouldn't be a problem to post something heavy and personal like that. I enjoy reading your posts Relic but if you're leaving... I guess so be it. Take care!
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
post #5 of 105
Thank you Phil, I'm going to stay around as long as I can. I was feeling sorry for myself when I wrote the post. I should be going about business as normal as possible. There will defiantly be a time where I will won't be able to participate but until then this board makes me happy so I shouldn't cancel it out of my life just yet.1smile.gif
post #6 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Thank you Phil, I'm going to stay around as long as I can. I was feeling sorry for myself when I wrote the post. I should be going about business as normal as possible. There will defiantly be a time where I will won't be able to participate but until then this board makes me happy so I shouldn't cancel it out of my life just yet.1smile.gif

Just ask yourself this, what would Bender do? 

Speaking of which, I used to know a soap opera lead. He never got the calculon jokes.

Edited by hmm - 8/2/13 at 10:06pm
post #7 of 105
Your positive mindset should be inspiring to others and might turn out to be a life saver. Props to you Relic.
- Roger Sterling
- Roger Sterling
post #8 of 105
Oh thank you so much but I think the real inspirational people are the ones around me; family, friends, coworkers and even neighbors. The first time I went through chemotherapy I was barely able to get out of bed but I always tried to make dinner for my kids and husband. My kitchen faces the neighbors den and I rarely close the blinds, the neighbor saw me through the window one late afternoon suffering so she came over, made me tea and finished making dinner. After that unbeknownst to me she rung up the whole neighborhood, they decided to take turns coming over and helping with the meals. I learned a lot of great recipes in this time period I was never alone during the day either. I'm going to hire a live in caretaker this time around however.

I always thought that voice recognition was kind of weird but I think I'm happy to have Siri now. Preparing for what is about to happen to me I have connected the iPad to my TV in the bedroom so I can still surf without using my hands. I know it sounds weird but staring at a screen, mouse and keyboad for long periods of time makes me very dizzy, so I can ask Siri to just read the sites, a God send. On this subject is there a way to make the video output look crisper while using the Lightning HDMI connector? It doesn't look very nice when connected to a 1080P screen. If not I've heard good things about using Siri in a proxy configuration which I could use with my Mac Mini. Will OSX 10.9 have Siri?
post #9 of 105
Help can come from unexpected places; happy to read you're getting yours.

Don't know about the quality over that cable, but you might want to consider the AppleTV for your needs. Using AirPlay is really easy and with a crisp 1080 output. Not too expensive.

Don't know about Siri on 10.9 but will check it when I get home tonight.

Take care.
- Roger Sterling
- Roger Sterling
post #10 of 105
Sorry Relic, no Siri on 10.9. Only dictation.
- Roger Sterling
- Roger Sterling
post #11 of 105

On a Mac, you can access in the System Preferences:  Accessibility:  Voice Over and also Speakable Items.  These can help with a lot of basic interaction with the Mac.

You can even set the computer to always listen, waiting for a specific phrase before it receives a command.  This can be really helpful when you don't feel good.

However, it can be picky when it comes to intonation.  

This is the page for Mavericks:  

http://www.apple.com/osx/what-is/accessibility.html

- - -

Dragon Speech also works great and can be used for longer typing.  My experience with it shows it to be pretty accurate.  It also doesn't have a limit on length like Dictation.  I have left it running for an hour, typing notes as I cleaned out some old desk drawers.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #12 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

On a Mac, you can access in the System Preferences:  Accessibility:  Voice Over and also Speakable Items.  These can help with a lot of basic interaction with the Mac.

You can even set the computer to always listen, waiting for a specific phrase before it receives a command.  This can be really helpful when you don't feel good.

However, it can be picky when it comes to intonation.  

This is the page for Mavericks:  

http://www.apple.com/osx/what-is/accessibility.html

- - -

Dragon Speech also works great and can be used for longer typing.  My experience with it shows it to be pretty accurate.  It also doesn't have a limit on length like Dictation.  I have left it running for an hour, typing notes as I cleaned out some old desk drawers.

Thank you Bergermeister, what a neat piece of software this Dragon Speech is. Works very well and is quite fast. I'm using the iPad as a proxy for Siri for my Mac Mini, did that come out correctly. Anyway, I can talk into my iPad to give commands to my Mac Mini, seems to work pretty good. I just need something to read, answer emails and do a little surfing. I had my first dose of radiation today, it's now 02:11, my sheets are soaking wet. My husband has to work in the morning so he is sleeping in the guest bedroom with my daughter. They both want to help me but I can't expect them to stay awake all night. I really need a glass of water, uuuuuhhhhh this sucks so bad.
post #13 of 105
I'm going to keep posting in this thread quite often I think, use it as a tiny diary while I go threw this. If it get's to be too much for anyone just let me know and I will stop.
post #14 of 105
Quote:

I'm going to keep posting in this thread quite often I think, use it as a tiny diary while I go threw this. If it get's to be too much for anyone just let me know and I will stop.

I look forward to reading your posts. :) Sending good vibes your way.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #15 of 105
Quote:

As with all things, this one can be related to futurama.

post #16 of 105
Quote:

Post away Relic; I'm reading. And if I have some knowledge on a topic I'll reply.

Take care
- Roger Sterling
- Roger Sterling
post #17 of 105
Quote:

Post away.

post #18 of 105
So far it's going as well as can be expected. My biggest problem is still the nausea, I'm taking something called Palonosetron or Aloxi, the branded name on the box to help with it, I also have to take Decadron a steroid with the Aloxi. The real draw back from the medication is the headaches, horrible blinding headaches, I was given this awesome drug called Tramadol for those, their in drop form, taste like bitter licorice but make me higher then a fighter pilot.

I'm having trouble eating so I've been drinking a lot of these nutritional milk shakes they give to underweight children called Ensure and I find comfort in sucking on a piece of jerky.

I spend my days sleeping, soaking in a bath when I get too stinky which seems like always, I sweat a lot. I need someone in the bathroom with me so my son and daughter are taking turns. Last night my son took a phone call from one of his friends and when asked what he was doing, he simply replied, just taking a bath with my mom in which my husband overhearing this said, "so, that's what kind of family they are". Haha, Ferris Buellers Day Off quotes still makes me laugh. I'm so happy they are all in good spirits.

I sleep in my bed alone now for the time being as I don't want to disturb my husband in the night. As a compromise though I have too sleep with our snoring, huge fluffy Malmute, she goes and get's people when I need help and is really warm to snuggle against. The best part is she knows how to retrieve me water from our a mini fridge, we just can't leave food or beer in it. Really, the silly dog drinks beer, she can actually distinguish what the labels are. Well my husband only drinks one kind of beer so I guess it isn't that hard but still.

Siri seems to be doing a good job at writing what I say and is making my English pronunciation better as I can't be too Swissy when I talk, yaay for technology.
post #19 of 105

Ferris Bueller and beef jerky.  Nice!  1smile.gif

You've got a positive attitude, which is inspiring.  And a sense of humor.  

Glad Siri is working out for you.

Edited by Bergermeister - 8/7/13 at 9:06am

post #20 of 105
Good to read another post from you Relic. What a mess, heh. I so much hope there is a good chance for you to get better. My girlfriend, suffering from whiplash, used Tramadol as well (pills); it really is an awful drug considering the side effects she had, I sure hope it helps you.

That is one funny dog you have! Making the family complete. Best to you, and your loved ones.
- Roger Sterling
- Roger Sterling
post #21 of 105

I know you have beer man, don't screw with me.

post #22 of 105
Damn, she's cute!

Dog getting beer; that dog has a personality! And personality goes a long way
- Roger Sterling
- Roger Sterling
post #23 of 105

I love dogs. Rottweilers are still my favorite as they're so goofy.

post #24 of 105

I've been gone for a couple months, I was really too weak to even type a post. I'm recovering slowly though, still in pretty bad shape. My survival rate is literally 50/50, though I feel like it's more in the 25/75 range sometimes. I'm sorry if I haven't visited in a while as I really like it here and missed you guys. I think I watched every movie available on Netflix and have resorted to watching 1930's and 40's movies. I hope everyone is doing well, I'l try to pop in once in a while to raise a little hell.

post #25 of 105

Good to hear from you again.

post #26 of 105
Indeed good to hear from you! I was wondering the other day, and hoped for the best. Just took a peek at movies from the 30's at IMDB. Nice movies, pretty bad site. I mean, I could only find user lists with movies from an area but not from the site itself. With an advanced search you only get to pick a single year, not a range.

Anyway, good to see you again. You haven't missed much. Some got banned, but got unbanned, some left, one I'm totally ok with, one I'm saddened with (Dick A.).
- Roger Sterling
- Roger Sterling
post #27 of 105
Quote:

I've been gone for a couple months, I was really too weak to even type a post. I'm recovering slowly though, still in pretty bad shape. My survival rate is literally 50/50, though I feel like it's more in the 25/75 range sometimes. I'm sorry if I haven't visited in a while as I really like it here and missed you guys. I think I watched every movie available on Netflix and have resorted to watching 1930's and 40's movies. I hope everyone is doing well, I'l try to pop in once in a while to raise a little hell.

Netflix has old tv shows too. They have flight of the conchords. Given what I can discern about your sense of humor from prior comments (Ferris Bueller, futurama, etc.) you would probably like that if you haven't seen it. I think they also have Father Ted.

post #28 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Netflix has old tv shows too. They have flight of the conchords. Given what I can discern about your sense of humor from prior comments (Ferris Bueller, futurama, etc.) you would probably like that if you haven't seen it. I think they also have Father Ted.

Looks great, streaming now, I will report back as to how I liked it. Thank you hmm.

post #29 of 105

I just saw this thread, missed it in August.

My sincerest best wishes for your recovery.  I've personally known multiple breast cancer survivors and victims over the years.  It's a rough road, and I hope you're getting great support from your immediate family and friends, because that really helps.  If it helps to have conversations here with us crazies on AI, keep it up to whatever degree you can!

There are not many people who have been here on this board for as long as you and I have, so I have an odd sort of kindred feeling (hope that's okay with you!).  My join date shows up as 2006, but that's because I changed my account then to synch with the one I created on MacRumors at the same time as the original one.  The MR account has been pretty dormant in recent years, but here's a link to more or less substantiate what I'm saying, fwiw: http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=13295   ).  You and I joined within months of each other, way back in 2002!

The spread to your lungs is obviously not a good thing, but it IS possible to beat cancer -- or at least keep it at bay for many years.  There is a brain chemistry component as well, so be as unequivocally positive in your thinking as you can!

I don't sign in here even close to every day, but I'll try to remember to peek at this thread when I think about it to see how you're doing.  Much love and best wishes from the U.S.

No Matte == No Sale :-(
No Matte == No Sale :-(
post #30 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

I just saw this thread, missed it in August.

My sincerest best wishes for your recovery.  I've personally known multiple breast cancer survivors and victims over the years.  It's a rough road, and I hope you're getting great support from your immediate family and friends, because that really helps.  If it helps to have conversations here with us crazies on AI, keep it up to whatever degree you can!

There are not many people who have been here on this board for as long as you and I have, so I have an odd sort of kindred feeling (hope that's okay with you!).  My join date shows up as 2006, but that's because I changed my account then to synch with the one I created on MacRumors at the same time as the original one.  The MR account has been pretty dormant in recent years, but here's a link to more or less substantiate what I'm saying, fwiw: http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=13295   ).  You and I joined within months of each other, way back in 2002!

The spread to your lungs is obviously not a good thing, but it IS possible to beat cancer -- or at least keep it at bay for many years.  There is a brain chemistry component as well, so be as unequivocally positive in your thinking as you can!

I don't sign in here even close to every day, but I'll try to remember to peek at this thread when I think about it to see how you're doing.  Much love and best wishes from the U.S.

Thank you so much for your kind words! I really do have great support, my husband hired a nursing group a few months back that come in every morning. They check up on me, cook a meal or two when I feel like I can keep it down but I survive mostly on those milk drinks that they feed malnourished children. The biggest thing they do for me though is make sure the doses for my medication is what it needs to be, which I have to tell you is probably the most difficult thing when your taking handfuls at a time. During most of my day though I'm pretty much alone except for my nutty dog who's idea of comfort is to bring me bugs from the garden and sleeps on top of me, snoring and passing gas. So I surf a lot, especially sites like this and watch a lot of cancelled TV shows from the 80's. Personally I would have killed that Gilligan years ago. My immediate family is wonderful as well, they help out when they can, my poor husband though has to suffer through their cooking, there is just so many times you can eat pizza and stale Captain Crunch before you loose it. They work or are at school during the day so I only see them at night and the weekends. My husband moved into the guest bedroom so I wouldn't wake him at night, don't worry it was my idea, he has to work. Besides I have a fury friend who knows how to get things for me. Just wish I could teach her to role a joint without slobbering all over it, I always have to wait for them to dry out.

I've already gone threw this once before and hasn't gotten any easier but I'm a lot more knowledgeable this time around and more at ease. I was away from Appleinsider for a few months recently though because I suffered from a mild heart attack do to the aforementioned hassle with my medication. I was so weak that I could barely type and had to rely on Siri to navigate me around the web. Siri, go to Appleinsider, apple inside her, fruit porn, that's a new one. The guys here have been really great to me, they are very friendly, well most of them anyway, I tend to upset a few because I love all things computing and don't put any one computer manufacture above the rest and speak my mind. People hate that here, Apple or die. I like my iPad, Lenovo Win8 tablet and my shiny new Nexus 7 V2. pretty much all equally. It's the Swiss in me, neutrality to the point of annoyance. 

I really don't know why I keep buying these gadgets, I think that they'll make me happy but in reality end up sitting in the corner because I'm so unmotivated and tired to do anything with them. The only two computers I really use right now are my Chromebox which is connected to my TV and my iPad which is connected to my face. Why a Chromebox your thinking quietly to your self, because it's the perfect computer for those who are bed bound, well that and the kids won't let me have the Mac Mini that is connected to the big TV in the family room. Apparently having a deadly illness doesn't trump media consumption. I really think my son is just worried that I will find his alone time films, to late I already found them. After watching 3 entire seasons of Three's Company in a single sitting I guess a little girl on girl action seemed like the next logical step. Doesn't matter really where the computers are anyway as I can connect to them through the Chromebox, it really makes for the perfect dumb terminal.

As you can imagine my Netflix bill has been extremely large these last few months so I've been a bad girl and I am using one of those free TV sites, tubeplus.me. I watch mostly old TV shows and movies so I figure it's not so bad, I know there really isn't any excuse for pirating something that was free from the let go but I have met some really great people on that site who actually make up pretty good playlists for me to enjoy. If it helps you to not hate me a little less I still pay for all of the new movies, which in turn allows a few parents to send their kids to college over at the old Netflix building.

Oh wow, I think I went off on a tangent there didn't I, sorry about that. Again thank you sweetie for the beautiful post. I hope to talk with you more as the this blue ball of ours spins.

Your new friend,

Relic

Edited by Relic - 10/10/13 at 5:21pm
post #31 of 105
Quote:

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it, love it and I love you for showing it to me thank you so much.
post #32 of 105
Really beautiful thing happening here. Makes me completely forgetting about tech...

Don't know what to say actually, I'm just staring ...

Well thanks for sharing, that was really, wow.

Best to you Relic.
- Roger Sterling
- Roger Sterling
post #33 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Really beautiful thing happening here. Makes me completely forgetting about tech...

Don't know what to say actually, I'm just staring ...

Well thanks for sharing, that was really, wow.

Best to you Relic.

Stop your going to make me cry and I only have a small clean spot left on my sheets which I'm saving for Downton Abbey. You know every time I see your handle, KOOL & THE GANG'S song Jungle Boogie comes ripping through my noggin similar to that time when I spent an hour stuck on that hellish ride, "It's a Small World" at Disney Land. I hated little Dutch children for years after that incident.

post #34 of 105
Hehe! Sorry about my last post yesterday; thanks for making the thread lighter again!
- Roger Sterling
- Roger Sterling
post #35 of 105
Quote:
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it, love it and I love you for showing it to me thank you so much.

Forum software is being weird with quotes again, so hopefully this doesn't post the same quote multiple times. I'm glad you liked it. I don't know how far you got with the series, so I don't want to reference it. There should be 2 seasons on netflix. I think netflix has father ted as well. That was a silly show. It's not as funny, but it's still decent. If you like John Cleese, it has the entire faulty towers series.

Quote:
After watching 3 entire seasons of Three's Company in a single sitting I guess a little girl on girl action seemed like the next logical step.

That seems oddly logical, although porn is filled with bad actresses. Their expressions usually suggest they're either waiting for the bus or experiencing a mild stroke.

post #36 of 105
Quote:

If you like John Cleese, it has the entire faulty towers series.

Loved that, all the stuff he did.

Would you happen to know if they have The Powers That Be as well, or where I can look that up? I tried to torrent it, but there aren't enough seeders. I have that series on VHS, but too lazy to get the VCR from the attic.
- Roger Sterling
- Roger Sterling
post #37 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Loved that, all the stuff he did.

Would you happen to know if they have The Powers That Be as well, or where I can look that up? I tried to torrent it, but there aren't enough seeders. I have that series on VHS, but too lazy to get the VCR from the attic.

I am not sure. You might be able to search it without an account. My account is inactive at the moment. I spent too much time watching netflix, so I went back to reading obsessively. Many of them are technical books. I plan to write new shaders for a model of an undead alpaca that I made a while ago. Just look at these. Can you picture them as zombies? They don't even have to be violent zombies. Perhaps they could feed on grass seeds rather than brains.

Edited by hmm - 10/11/13 at 11:22am
post #38 of 105
Quote:

Forum software is being weird with quotes again, so hopefully this doesn't post the same quote multiple times. I'm glad you liked it. I don't know how far you got with the series, so I don't want to reference it. There should be 2 seasons on netflix. I think netflix has father ted as well. That was a silly show. It's not as funny, but it's still decent. If you like John Cleese, it has the entire faulty towers series.

That seems oddly logical, although porn is filled with bad actresses. Their expressions usually suggest they're either waiting for the bus or experiencing a mild stroke.

I finished the first season this morning around 3:30 am, I couldn't sleep last night. I didn't watch it on Netflix though I saw it here. You'll thank me later for showing you that one or turn me in into the nearest FBI cyber crimes division, which ever one is fine by me, wouldn't mind visiting the U.S. again, will you come visit me in club fed. Don't forget to bring me smokes and lube (what, some of the girls might have big hands).

I love faulty towers by the way, John Cleese is a wonderful comedic actor. A Fish Called Wonda is still one of my favorite movies. Kevin Cline stole the show though, "K-K-K-Ken is c-c-c-coming to k-k-k-kill me!", "don't call me stupid".

I know what you mean about some of these porn actresses, the girls in this work of art I watched seemed very well suited for a job as a puppeteer in Jim Hensons production company. I used to date a guy back in the mid 90's who was a production assistant for a porno film distributor, that was a step up from a fluffer but when the fluffer got sick......... I actually got to sit through a filming session a couple of times. I saw some of the most disturbing things, one memory that pops into my head every once in a while is; after a scene of two fairly endowed young men finishing off on their co-workers face, she reached for a dry towel, mopped up the thousands of potential babies off of her face, reversed the towel glazed side out, wrapped it around her like we girls do after taking a shower and then immediately proceeded to the Craft service table to eat a sandwich all the while dipping her hands into a chip bowl. I was both shocked and intrigued at the same time, I kept getting these visions of her walking into a dance club that very night that had black lights and her looking like the bed sheets at hotel that charges hourly rates.

Thank you hmm for interacting with me and putting a smile on my face, you are truly a wonderful person. Oh and again, thanks a bunch for the TV show suggestion, it was right up my ally. Love those Aussies, oh sorry I meant Kiwi's, right, Kiwis are from New Zealand.

post #39 of 105
Quote:

I am not sure. You might be able to search it without an account. My account is inactive at the moment. I spent too much time watching netflix, so I went back to reading obsessively. Many of them are technical books. I plan to write new shaders for a model of an undead alpaca that I made a while ago. Just look at these. Can you picture them as zombies? They don't even have to be violent zombies. Perhaps they could feed on grass seeds rather than brains.

Aaaaaauuuuhhhh I want a alpaca, their so cute. Shaders? What kind of setup are you using, hardware, software?

post #40 of 105
Ha! That was all too funny! Including Club Fed. You really have a fantastic way with words. And life experiences. Please, carry on.
- Roger Sterling
- Roger Sterling
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Well it looks like I'm no longer in remission