or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Piper Jaffray: New Moto X won't draw consumers from iPhone

Piper Jaffray: New Moto X won't draw consumers from iPhone

post #1 of 107
Despite its novel features, Motorola's Moto X handset is better suited to alter the Android landscape than draw consumers away from Apple's iPhone, according to one noted analyst.

In a report discussing the possible effects Motorola's Moto X handset, which was unveiled at a special event on Thursday, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster said the new handset isn't "significantly different than [the Galaxy S4 and HTC One] to change the current market dynamics between Android and iPhone."

Motorola's new flagship sports an array of features currently unavailable on any other device. Chief among these is a constant listening mode, in which the phone's audio sensors are always active and listening for voice input from a user. The Moto X learns its owner's voice and can use voice input to set reminders, search the web, send messages, and carry out other tasks.

It also features a number of gesture controls, including a camera that is activated by flicking one's wrist while holding the phone. Inside, it will pack a Snapdragon S4 Pro processor with a 1.7GHz dual-core Krait CPU and quad-core Adreno 320 GPU, 2GB RAM, as well as a 2,200mAh battery offering up to 24 hours of life.

Perhaps most importantly, the design of the phone will be a big point of emphasis for Motorola. Built in the United States, the Moto X will offer consumers an array of design options for the chassis, as well as a choice between 16GB and 32GB of storage. Customers can buy the device either online or in store and design it on Motorola's site.

The Moto X is the Google-owned manufacturer's latest attempt at clawing back some market share in a mobile phone segment that has largely left it behind. Motorola has continually tried to keep pace since consumers began moving to smartphones, but it has been outstripped by both Apple and Samsung, which combine to take all of the profits in the industry.

Still, Munster believes the new handset will not be enough to pull users away from the iPhone, which is the top-selling device in the U.S. Whether or not Motorola needs the Moto X to do so, though, is open to debate. Some observers note that Google needs Motorola to cease being a drag on its earnings. Ever since the search giant bought the ailing manufacturer in 2012, widely thought as a move to gain access to the company's patent hoard, Motorola has lost hundreds of millions of dollars for Google as its handsets have fizzled.
post #2 of 107
Google...I don't want anything from Google. Thx.
post #3 of 107
Obviously. This is basically a very mid-range, near-stock Android phone priced at high-end, flagship phone prices. The colors are customizable and there's some hardware/software tweaks. This was supposed to be phone that was "as game-changing as the original iPhone", and "industry-changing".

Hilarious.
post #4 of 107
I'd agree with Piper-Jaffrey. The Moto X has a couple of innovative features and the customization stuff is cool but like Google said it wasn't expected to have that "wow" factor.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #5 of 107
According to cnet Motorola says a cheaper version for pre paid and developing markets is coming. Not sure what the differences will be to this phone but seems odd they'd announce them at different times. If people know a cheaper version is coming they'll just wait for it.
post #6 of 107

I was intrigued enough by this to go* to an Android fan site and see their take on it.

Judge for yourself: http://bit.ly/143mPWb lol.gif

* For the first time ever, in my life. Had to take a shower afterwards......

Edited by anantksundaram - 8/1/13 at 4:02pm
post #7 of 107

The Nexus 4 was $199 on contract and only $299 unlocked. There will be a Google Play version coming soon, so we'll have to wait and see the unlocked price.

Motorola is infamous for long battery life, so that might be another highlight of the product.

Despite the claimed specifications of a dual core Snapdragon S4 Pro, the device actually uses Motorola's own X8 SoC which builds on the dual core S4 Pro and adds two additional cores, which are for natural language and contextual computing.  

post #8 of 107

OK Google Now, can you trade yourself in for an iPhone so I don't get any malware?

post #9 of 107
Astoundingly, Brian Marshall of ISI Group said... "The new device raises the pressure on Apple to innovate its design -- and add a larger screen iPhone to the lineup."

Wow! The only way for Apple to be considered innovative is to add a larger screen! What is wrong with these analysts? Can they not take their heads out of their asses long enough to actually pay attention to what they are saying and/or writing?

So Motorola, a company with 1% global market share and that consistently loses money quarter after quarter comes out with a new phone that listens for its owner's voice and Apple is put under pressure to be more innovative by releasing an iPhone with a bigger screen!

How about being innovative with Passbook, the non-NFC technology using app, that probably has more transactions than Google Wallet has had since it was rapidly put together and released to beat Apple.

How about being innovative with thinner, lighter, compelling devices?

Hold on... I could keep going, but what is the point? Brian and others will keep on dinging Apple just because it truly is the only company they can ding to get press coverage. Would I even care if Brian said the new Motorola phone would force Samsung and other Android makers to be more innovative? :-)))
post #10 of 107
iPhone and Galaxy S phones will not be affected in the least by this Moto X. Mid-range specs and it isn't even radically cheaper than flagship phones. It's another Motorola failure in the making.
LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
post #11 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I was intrigued enough by this to go* to an Android fan site and see their take on it.

Google telegraphed as much a few months ago. Apparently any "Google" devices from Moto are still a few months off.
post #12 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Google telegraphed as much a few months ago. Apparently any "Google" devices from Moto are still a few months off.

Some of my co-workers are Android diehards. They were so disappointed when the details on this phone came out today, they were acting like it was a funeral lol.
post #13 of 107

New ideas often sound sooo sweet (remember the MS Kinect- some even emailed Timboy suggesting Apple looking into such a thing-blush); then the dog's meal rears its head.

I'm thinking, I'm hiding behind a stack of cardboard boxes in a warehouse and some monster slasher, flesh-eating killer is out for a snack (I am mostly bones and promises)  and I'm trying to phone for help and goothingi wants me to speak out loud. There's a plot for a movie here; not that I watch such tripe.

Time waits for no man and Foogle is no special exception; that park bench is owned by Apple. We'll see from the company that squanders cash like a mad caper through a carnival what becomes of this Mottorocity. Maybe some mad slasher, fleshing-eating monster will find use for it: "Okay Foogle, now find kitty".

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

post #14 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

Some of my co-workers are Android diehards. They were so disappointed when the details on this phone came out today, they were acting like it was a funeral lol.

Serves them right. 

post #15 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Serves them right. 

Why?  Everyone has the right to like something some else doesn't. Why does it make it wrong?

post #16 of 107
Screens too small
post #17 of 107
Mobile phone eavesdropping NSA + Google personal data collection + 'always listening' Google phone...

Sounds good. What could go wrong with that?
post #18 of 107

Google or no Google Motorola is doomed.

Motorola just does not have any compelling product anymore.  They have no "raîson d'être".

I think their name is still cool.  "Motorola"

I remember when they use to make MC6800 and MC68000 processors.

I remember when they bought CodeWarrior, a swiss army knife IDE and C/C++ compiler and frameworks for Mac OS.

I remember when they made the Razor flip phone.

My Verizon FiOS STB is still labeled "Motorola"

Motorola was a fine American company.

Until Google bought it for the wrong reason, bought it as a weapon of evil and destroyed the company.

Motorola should exit the cell phone business and go back to making communication equipment and processors and embedded systems.

post #19 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

Astoundingly, Brian Marshall of ISI Group said... "The new device raises the pressure on Apple to innovate its design -- and add a larger screen iPhone to the lineup."

Wow! The only way for Apple to be considered innovative is to add a larger screen! What is wrong with these analysts?

They lack imagination, creativity, and vision.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #20 of 107
of course Google is really going head to head now against leader Samsung in the android market (haven't the pundits noticed that?), but much less so Apple and the "sticky" iOS ecosystem. that will be interesting to watch.

btw, is anyone else creeped out about "constant listening mode"? "Hello there, NSA ..." oh, but i forgot - Google does no evil.
post #21 of 107

The constant listening mode could go either way.  It could be really cool to not have to get out your phone turn it on and unlock/tap to get to Google Now.  It could actually be pretty amazing.

On the other hand if I'm at Wendy's drivethrough and say "I'd like a burger, fries, and shake" I wouldn't want my phone responding to that.....   "There is a Wendy's nearby, why don't you see if they have some there?"

post #22 of 107
Quote:

From the cursory scan of that comments section, I'm seeing a lot of unhappy fandroids complaining that it's essentially overpriced.

I guess those hired Samsung students won't have to flood that forum ... or maybe they are?  lol.gif

post #23 of 107
Wasn't the same said about Samsung's phones?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #24 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

They lack imagination, creativity, and vision.

The irony in that Analysts comment is that from all hands-on reviews I've read, the Moto Xs screen is considered either really bad, or mediocre, (Josh Topolsky from theVerge called it "stunningly bad") while the iPhone 5 still has what is considered one of the best screens on the market. Nothing else about the physical design of this phone is noteworthy. The only noteworthy thing in software is that the mic is always on. Whether most people want this is debatable (I know I don't). Oh, and a camera activation gesture that seems to hardly work. 

Yet, this phone will put "pressure" on Apple in terms of design. Right. 

Edited by Slurpy - 8/1/13 at 5:58pm
post #25 of 107
Quote:

The only noteworthy thing in software is that the mic is always on. Whether most people want this is debatable (I know I don't).

If you define "most people" as the NSA in Fort Meade, then yes, people want it.

post #26 of 107

Funny, when the iPhone launched, and it was 2g only, and didn't support MMS, etc a lot of people were crowing that Apple's flagship lost on specs compared to other phones that were shipping with 3g.  Apple has consistently lagged behind on things like 3g or LTE, compared to bleeding edge competitors.

Motorola made an Apple-like decision to say "no" on going to war on specs. They deliberately picked components based on achieving other goals: better battery life. The reason they chose an AMOLED screen @ 720p vs an IPS at higher rez was deliberate, it's not like they can't get higher resolution IPS displays off the shelf like everyone else.  They chose it, because the smaller screen, coupled with AMOLED, allows them better power management. In fact, they can selectively partially power the screen, showing the current time or notifications.

Whether you want to trade color response to battery life is up to you. The new Nexus 7 has the best screen in the entire mobile industry now, it puts everything to shame, even Retina displays, but it costs a lot of battery life.

post #27 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Wasn't the same said about Samsung's phones?

Why is every phone that sells well "drawing consumers away from the iPhone"? Samsung's phone, more than anything else, are drawing consumers away from all the other Android OEMs, who are doing miserably. They're basically monopolizing the profits and sales in the Android market, and stealing sales from those phones MUCH more than away from iPhones. Samsung was able to outmarket everyone else- that's what it comes down to, and they established their place as the default option for whoever gets anything that isn't an iPhone. That's not a knock on Apple, it's a knock on every single other Android phone manufacturer that Samsung destroyed.

Apple sold 32 million phones last quarter, when it hasn't launched a new phone in almost a year, and taking more than half the profits of the largest, fastest growing, and most lucrative industry on earth, that they just entered a few years ago. They're doing just fine, and will continue to do fine. It's the fates of all the other non-Samsung OEMs that's in question- including Motorola. 

post #28 of 107

I would agree that the specs don't have that wow factor and I suppose one could argue that they're mid-range (as some in this thread have).  Where would that put the iPhone 5 though?  Everything I'm reading shows the Moto X having better specs than the iPhone 5.  Is there something I'm missing or do we just fall back on the 'specs don't mean anything' argument at that point?

Edited by DroidFTW - 8/1/13 at 6:32pm
"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
post #29 of 107

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #30 of 107

Gene Munster, the infamous anal-ist that has rarely if ever gotten anything right when making a call. 

Doubtful this Mot X will appeal to Apple customers but they will do sales.

post #31 of 107
Quote:

Why is every phone that sells well "drawing consumers away from the iPhone"?

Same reason you can't draw water from a dry well, you draw where there's water. Ask Piper why he only mentions the iPhone. Motorola would definitely have more of a chance to draw customers away from Samsung than from Apple. Motorola has served me well in the past and I am rooting for them to turn things around, but now that Google owns them I don't believe that it'll ever happen.
post #32 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKings33 View Post

Motorola is infamous for long battery life, so that might be another highlight of the product.

"In-famous?  In-famous?"

"...means he's more than famous. He's not only famous, he's in-famous!"

-from The Three Amigos

Sorry, I couldn't resist. 1biggrin.gif

post #33 of 107
It is going to be fun watching Google go to war with its biggest distribution partner, Samsung. Both phones and tablets. Google just sucked ALL the profit out of the air for small sized Android tablets with the Nexus 7

If you are Samsung, what do you do? And since you don't have any software ability, what can you do? That's right- your kinda f*****

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

post #34 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKings33 View Post

The Nexus 4 was $199 on contract and only $299 unlocked. There will be a Google Play version coming soon, so we'll have to wait and see the unlocked price.

JC, you would have to be insane to buy the Nexus 4 on contract at $199 when you can it unlock at $299.  

Edited by herbapou - 8/1/13 at 7:22pm
post #35 of 107
Quote:
 constant listening mode

I dont like the sound of that...  I see how it can allow some features, but at what price?

post #36 of 107
Quote:

Brutal comments. Thanks for sharing

post #37 of 107

yup, as several above note, Moto is competing with SS with the same approach - adding UI gimmicks to android to "differentiate" the X and the S4 from other commodity droid phones. so they are both going after the same market - the gimmick lovers. and don't forget customization! there is no doubt those folks are already droid users anyway. so Google is finally trying to deal with the fact it does all the hard android work but Samsung is making all the android profit. Fight!

Apple has tried a few gimmicks too over the years, yes. but more than ever now it focuses on system-wide and ecosystem-wide new features that are really useful. and i expect even more to be unveiled this Fall with iOS 7/Mavericks etc. for great example, the anticipated fingerprint reader home button on the next generation of iPhone/iPad will likely be integrated with iCloud Keychain too (which also supports credit cards as well as passwords, and perhaps Passbook as well). what a powerful universal tool that would be! something every one of us would really want to use - a lot.

but i'm sure the Verge and all the other gadget head tech sites will give the Moto X a 9.0 score, just like the new Nexus tablet. new gimmicks always turn them on.

post #38 of 107

constant listening mode ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I dont like the sound of that...  I see how it can allow some features, but at what price?

oh yeah - just wait!

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/1/4580718/fbi-can-remotely-activate-android-and-laptop-microphones-reports-wsj

post #39 of 107
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Ever since the search giant bought the ailing manufacturer in 2012, widely thought as a move to gain access to the company's patent hoard, Motorola has lost hundreds of millions of dollars for Google as its handsets have fizzled.

Good luck digging out of that $12.5 billion Moto-hole, Google.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #40 of 107
It'll be fun to mess with other's voice activated phones >:-)
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Piper Jaffray: New Moto X won't draw consumers from iPhone