or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › South Korean government expresses concern over Obama's veto in Apple-Samsung patent dispute

South Korean government expresses concern over Obama's veto in Apple-Samsung patent dispute

post #1 of 101
As Samsung has lost over a billion dollars in market value, the South Korean government has shown concern that the company's patent rights may be negatively affected following a presidential veto in its U.S.-based intellectual property dispute with Apple.

South Korea

The government issued a statement on Monday saying it hopes to see a "fair and reasonable decision" in Samsung's ongoing patent dispute with Apple, according to The Wall Street Journal. South Korea's government plans to closely watch what transpires next, as the U.S. International Trade Commission is scheduled to decide this week whether to ban imports of certain Samsung products to America.

The intervention of President Barack Obama's administration and subsequent comments from South Korea may signal that the patent dispute between Apple and Samsung could become an international political issue.

The two countries entered into the U.S.-Korea Trade Agreement last March, promising "countless new opportunities for U.S. exporters to sell more Made-in-America goods, services and agricultural products to Korean customers." The U.S. government characterized the deal as the most commercially significant free trade agreement in nearly 20 years, adding up to $12 billion to the annual U.S. Gross Domestic Product by making almost 80 percent of U.S. exports to Korea duty free.

Experts have said that the Obama administration needs to be careful and not give the impression that it is favoring Apple, an American company, over its rival Samsung, from South Korea.

The intervention is also expected to have ripple effects in the larger patent litigation landscape. Maynard Um of Wells Fargo said earlier Monday that he expects the ITC to become less of a venue for companies to gain leverage in patent disputes, seeking a relatively quick injunction blocking sales of competing products.

The ITC has originally ruled in June that shipments of Apple's older iPhone 4 model, compatible with the AT&T network, would be halted because of alleged patent infringement. But the Obama administration intervened on Saturday, and vetoed the ban.

The administration said the veto was used because of concerns about standards-essential patents being used to gain "undue leverage." The ban would have also affected some cellular-capable versions of Apple's iPad 2.
post #2 of 101

Did they express concern in 1987 when President Reagan vetoed an ITC decision that blocked the sale of Samsung products thereby allowing Samsung to continue to sell its products?

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #3 of 101
I am amazed at how "slimy" Samsung really is. The veto was absolutely the correct choice.
post #4 of 101
South korean government should worry about Samsung destroyinng all credibility, and reputation for any thing that is related to south korea .
Samsungs lowlife ways is like a dark cloud over anything Korean. in. Big way!
post #5 of 101
"Experts have said that the Obama administration needs to be careful and not give the impression that it is favoring Apple, an American company, over its rival Samsung, from South Korea."

No experts are saying this. Anywhere.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #6 of 101
Now they are trying to make it what it is not.
post #7 of 101
South Korea can concentrate on copying Japanese cars to flood the US market instead now.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #8 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

Now they are trying to make it what it is not.

They are displaying an unprecedented level of scurrilous behavior.

Time for Apple to start building up its own manufacturing and robotic assembly OUTSIDE the reach of the grabbers and looters.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #9 of 101

How much do you want to bet that Samsung pressured their government to make a statement.  Remember, Samsung is like 15% of the GDP there in korea.

post #10 of 101

The South Korean government should investigate better before going to the press.

post #11 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

"Experts have said that the Obama administration needs to be careful and not give the impression that it is favoring Apple, an American company, over its rival Samsung, from South Korea."

No experts are saying this. Anywhere.

Indeed, its pretty clear they did it to avoid getting bans over FRANDS.  And I dont like the way Samsung is trying to get patents compensation over chips that are made by a company that is suppose to have paid them already.

imo Samsung is just trying to counter sue Apple with anything they can. I really hate Samsung with a passion and will never buy anything they make ever again.

post #12 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by john12345 View Post

How much do you want to bet that Samsung pressured their government to make a statement. 

No pressure needed. A quick email and the South Korean government will fall into line.

post #13 of 101

FRAND licensing was fine with Samsung... until an innovator came along and disrupted the market.

Pity.

post #14 of 101
My confession for today. It may sound childish but I have already stopped buying anything that has Samsung name on it.

My latest purchase? SONY Bravia TV. Love it. Used to believe in Samsung products but no more.

And, I am absolutely sure I'm not the first or only one out there.

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

post #15 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

My confession for today. It may sound childish but I have already stopped buying anything that has Samsung name on it.

My latest purchase? SONY Bravia TV. Love it. Used to believe in Samsung products but no more.

Nope I am one of them too. Never owned a Samsung product, never will especially after seeing there shady colors.

Another Question, did Samsung actually use there influence to get the Korean government to voice there feeling to get some political backing ?

I don't quite see, why the Korean Government would get involved in this otherwise. Prolly a few Bucks paid to the government and they try putting some political pressure :)

post #16 of 101
Quote:

More and more of us every day.

Apple must protect their interests and start the process of building up their own manufacturing.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #17 of 101

South Korea trying to influence the upcoming ITC decision this Friday where Samsung faces a ban. The shills will be raging if Samsung products get banned. Never mind that none of Apple's patents in this case are SEP's or anything like that. They'll overlook that completely and claim foul.

post #18 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The government issued a statement on Monday saying it hopes to see a "fair and reasonable decision" in Samsung's ongoing patent dispute with Apple

LOL. Isn't "fair and reasonable" the first two letters of FRAND?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #19 of 101
T.S.
post #20 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

South Korea trying to influence the upcoming ITC decision this Friday where Samsung faces a ban. The shills will be raging if Samsung products get banned. Never mind that none of Apple's patents in this case are SEP's or anything like that. They'll overlook that completely and claim foul.

What are the specifics of this upcoming case ? A link or something ?

post #21 of 101

South Korea is acting decisively. Apple - Samsung patent dispute seems to be an international problem right now.

post #22 of 101

Probably not necessary to keep saying "THE Obama administration".

I think you can just call it "the U S government" (you know... kinda like you refer to the other side as "the South Korean government")

post #23 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

More and more of us every day.

Apple must protect their interests and start the process of building up their own manufacturing.

Apple's interests are protected even if they use Samsung for manufacturing simply because Samsung = Greedy. They wont say No to a good source of Income :D

post #24 of 101

... the South Korean government has shown concern that the company's patent rights may be negatively affected ...

Could be worse.  Far worse.  Google blew $12.5 billion on Motorola Mobility thinking they could user Moto's patents for something, anything, against Apple.

Better to stop the abuse of FRAND-encumbered patents before it spreads to all industries.  Glad to see it.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #25 of 101
Now if we can only get Samsung's hands out it's government's pants...

The Obama Administration has done what is right. Take a look at the article published here yesterday to see who the bad guy is. Samsung has revoked it's licenses and betrayed the trust in manufacturers and standards bodies so they could double dip with exorbitant rates. Apple already paid for the chip that had the licensed patents. Samsung must not be allowed to ask 2.4-2.7% of an entire finished device. It makes absolutely NO sense.

I hope other manufacturers and customers see this unethical behavior and isolate Samsung like Apple is doing.
post #26 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

Apple's interests are protected even if they use Samsung for manufacturing simply because Samsung = Greedy. They wont say No to a good source of Income :D

Agree.  They only look and act crazy.  Deep down inside, Samscum's management are cold calculating business droids.

post #27 of 101
I'm still trying to figure out how Infineon, the company that made the 3G radios that are in these products, doesn't have a license to 3G technology and isn't getting their pants sued off instead of their customers.

Oh wait, it's because Infineon isn't in direct competition with Samsung in the phone market, and because Samsung and Infineon have been both indicted and convicted of collusion and price fixing together.
post #28 of 101
I don't shop at Best Buy anymore. They have a Samsung store. Screw 'em.
post #29 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Now if we can only get Samsung's hands out it's government's pants...

The Obama Administration has done what is right. Take a look at the article published here yesterday to see who the bad guy is. Samsung has revoked it's licenses and betrayed the trust in manufacturers and standards bodies so they could double dip with exorbitant rates. Apple already paid for the chip that had the licensed patents. Samsung must not be allowed to ask 2.4-2.7% of an entire finished device. It makes absolutely NO sense.

I hope other manufacturers and customers see this unethical behavior and isolate Samsung like Apple is doing.

After the Veto the US govt. told Samsung could pursue this case if they wanted in Court.

I doubt they would because they already did before, and this was thrown out of court.

They were trying there luck with the ITC. And what a blow, they first get there hopes up thinking they would win a ban on Apple, and then get disappointed later.

post #30 of 101
Wouldn't it be interesting if in the future the tech industry refused to grant SEP status to Samsung tech? Seriously, would you want to work with a company that will throw their crooked government at you if they felt like screwing you over?
post #31 of 101

To the South Korean Government:  Is Samsung applying lube prior to shoving its fist up your a$$?

Shame on SK for being Samsung's puppet.  Spending even five minutes to look at the details of the case would shed enough light that they should tell Samsung to go f$@k themselves.

post #32 of 101
Quote:

As Samsung has lost over a billion dollars in market value, the South Korean government has shown concern that the company's patent rights may be negatively affected following a presidential veto in its U.S.-based intellectual property dispute with Apple.

what's the relevance of the loss? large companies, apple included, lose and gain massive amounts of market value here and there every day. mr. oliver writes about the loss and then, in the same sentence, jumps into patent rights. the loss is never mentioned again. what's the connection? or did you just have a spare comma to use up before it expired and decided to throw two unrelated group of words into that first sentence?
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #33 of 101
Quote:

A little bit off topic. Sony is not a good alternative to Samsung. In fact, some of their manufacturing is shared.

Panasonic plasma displays don't just offer the best price/performance, but offer the BEST performance bar none (with the rare exception of the ninth generation Pioneer Elite Kuro plasma).

Following Panasonic are Samsung's plasma displays.

Sony's LCD/LED displays don't even make the list.

post #34 of 101
Nobody has even mentioned the fact that Samsung tried to ban Apple products in the EU based upon their 3G SEP, but were strongly warned about the legality of doing so thusly they removed their attempts.

Now if only the US could regulate SEP based banishment cases like the EU does.
post #35 of 101

Do a search on "samsung ceo convicted felon" and you begin to understand why this company just operates in the brazen, shameless fashion that it does.  Such as saying, in so many words, "Our phone and tablet designs are unique and original, the resemblance to Apple products is something you are imagining."

Also, all countries can be accused of being homers in some way or another, U.S. not exempted, but some take it to a different level.  Do a search on "boxing seoul olympics cheating".

post #36 of 101
"Oh, I'm sorry, maybe you'd prefer to be a little closer to your northern neighbors. No? Ok let's stop the posturing and whining."
post #37 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKings33 View Post

Panasonic plasma displays don't just offer the best price/performance, but offer the BEST performance bar none

Agreed.

post #38 of 101
Sorry South Korea should learn to compete fairly. America is not their country (an now America is not ours, just so you guys know I'm British!). If you create a standard to be used on something you cannot expect to hold others to ransom no matter how big. I've said this before but I'll reiterate

Data and voice transmission over mobile networks are kind of essential standards unless you want people to have to have the same phone as their friends to ensure they can talk and send stuff

Interface touches like smooth scrolling,rubber banding, size, shape and style of icons and text are not essential. Neither is voice control or a device.

The days were you can copy people until you can make your own novel products are gone.
post #39 of 101
Quote:

I just talked somebody at Sears out of getting a Samsung refrigerator. It is copying there as well, and the quality is not as good as some of the other companies like GE, Whirlpool, or Kitchen Aid. 

post #40 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I just talked somebody at Sears out of getting a Samsung refrigerator. It is copying there as well, and the quality is not as good as some of the other companies like GE, Whirlpool, or Kitchen Aid. 

Ummm. . . apparently those nice high-end French door GE refrigerators are actually built by Samsung and just re-badged as GE (at a slightly higher price). Look at 'em side-by-side and it will be evident. Or you could just do a web search.
Edited by Gatorguy - 8/5/13 at 12:10pm
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › South Korean government expresses concern over Obama's veto in Apple-Samsung patent dispute