or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Nokia slams iPhone 5 camera in parody of Apple ad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nokia slams iPhone 5 camera in parody of Apple ad

post #1 of 175
Thread Starter 
A new advertisement from Nokia parodies Apple's "Every Day" advertisements to promote what the Finnish handset maker believes are the superior picture taking abilities of its own Lumia 925 smartphone.



The commercial starts off quoting Apple's own ad from April, which declared that "Every day, more photos are taken with the iPhone than any other camera." But Nokia's ad goes on to say that the company builds "for quality, not just quantity."

In a series of side-by-side comparison shots, the ad shows how pictures taken in a variety of scenarios are superior on the Nokia Lumia 925 rather than Apple's iPhone 5. Examples include with flash, in low-light, color balance in regular lighting, and more.

lumia


The ad also highlights features of the Lumia 925 camera such as "action shot," "motion blur" and "best shot" capabilities that Apple does not offer with its built-in Camera app.

"Every day, better photos are taken with Nokia Lumias than with any other mobile," the commercial concludes.

Camera quality has long been a focus for Nokia in developing its smartphones. Just last month, it unveiled the Lumia 1020, a new handset with a massive 41-megapixel camera capable because of an oversized image sensor.
post #2 of 175

I'll believe them this time.

 

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/5/3294545/nokias-pureview-ads-are-fraudulent

post #3 of 175

Ah, well. I guess that's what comes from being king of the hill.

 

Something about "... the most sincere form of flattery" comes to mind.

post #4 of 175
Dear Nokia,

More photos are taken with the iPhone than any other camera... because more people actually want to use an iPhone.

Maybe you haven't noticed... but Windows Phone 8 isn't all that popular.

The reason wasn't because of the camera... but it's nice that you're now putting decent cameras in your new phones.

Best of luck,

Everybody
post #5 of 175
"iPhone 5 slams sales of Nokia phones by actually selling phones for profits."
post #6 of 175

How can Nokia be so clueless?  People do not buy cell phones for the camera.  Nokia is just another Microsoft Windows Phone cloner.  Being a cloner, they have nothing to distinguish their phones from anyone else.  So they have latched onto the camera as being their difference.  well, Nokia, any cloner can play the megapixel game, and even Apple can too.  Fact is the camera in a super thin cell phone is _never_ going to get close to a point and shoot.  Physics rule.

 

Windows Phone is a failure because the OS is terrible. Plan and simple.  Nokia killed them self by selling their soul to Microsoft, who always stabs their "partners" in the back.  Anyone dealing with Microsoft needs to get their heads checked as they are clueless.  Had Nokia kept Symbian, and perhaps introduced Android cloner phones, they would still be relevant.  Now, all they can hope for is to have Microsoft buy them out for pennies on the Euro

post #7 of 175

That seems to be growing marketing strategy. 

 

1. Find one function or feature which you can improve over iPhone

2. improve it

3. ignore the rest of the faults of Android, Windows 8, etc and ignore any effect this has on battery life

4. profit (???...maybe not so much!)

 

lol.gif

post #8 of 175
The ad DID teach me how to pronounce "Nokia". Apparently, it's not the way I've been saying it!
post #9 of 175
Nokia? Don't they make furniture? 1smile.gif
post #10 of 175

RIGHT ON, VERGE!!!

post #11 of 175

Nokia probably makes the best phone cameras, and I hope they will succeed in making a comeback, and that Microsoft will succeed in establishing a healthy system. I am convinced that competition will result in me getting even better iPhones in the future at a lower price. And I personally couldn't care less about not having the best camera.

post #12 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Dear Nokia,

More photos are taken with the iPhone than any other camera... because more people actually want to use an iPhone.

Maybe you haven't noticed... but Windows Phone 8 isn't all that popular.

The reason wasn't because of the camera... but it's nice that you're now putting decent cameras in your new phones.

Best of luck,

Everybody


It is interesting isn't it, a 'phone maker touting it's device camera capabilities?  What next - Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Hasselblad effusing about their toast-making capabilities?

post #13 of 175
Fear not, the funny moments of the Nokia ad are yet to come!

Let us take a count of the number of blogs that report how Nokia successfully slammed the iPhone's camera while using the commercials the same blogs condemned.

I sincerely doubt one blog will post a caution to Nokia that no one understood or connected with the Apple ads and the ads should not be made fun of to promote a competing product since no one will understand the context of what Nokia is attempting to promote. :-)))
post #14 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactoid View Post

That seems to be growing marketing strategy. 

 

1. Find one function or feature which you can improve over iPhone

2. improve it

3. ignore the rest of the faults of Android, Windows 8, etc and ignore any effect this has on battery life

4. profit (???...maybe not so much!)

 

lol.gif

 

You mean like adding fingerprint sensors? All the manufacturers are trying to find the next big differentiating feature. Apple blanketed the airwaves with Siri, a gimmicky, slow, busted feature, enticing you to use it because Zoey Deschanel is. 

post #15 of 175
Meh. I'll give them that they decided to sell "a camera"; a kind of normal, standard point and shoot camera, that you can make calls on.
I think anybody else could do this if they wanted to fill that niche. (and link up with FCC)
Canon, Casio, Sony.
If "camera" is the ultimate big feature for why you want a device in your pocket; go for it. Someone else will probably knock this one out soon enough though.

Edit: As an aside; the commercial is pathetic. Would expect nothing less from them though.
post #16 of 175
A good camera makes a good camera, it doesn't make a good phone.

Maybe Nokia should go into making cameras.
post #17 of 175
That's OK. It's all about marketing. I don't mind this sort of fair competition.

Microsoft makes fun of Apple same as Apple used to do with their MAC / PC guys! 1wink.gif

But it's a lot different than Google, Motorola, Samsung and a few others simply copying Apple and then bash Apple!

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

Reply

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

Reply
post #18 of 175
No Kia, no I don't own a Kia!
post #19 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

That's OK. It's all about marketing. I don't mind this sort of fair competition.

Microsoft makes fun of Apple same as Apple used to do with their MAC / PC guys! 1wink.gif

But it's a lot different than Google, Motorola, Samsung and a few others simply copying Apple and then bash Apple!
But what's creative about just copying Apple's ad? And how come every time this comes up someone has to bring up the Mac vs PC ads? Can someone point to an iPhone or iPad ad that is a direct swipe against a competitor? If there was one I can't remember it.
post #20 of 175

I much more rather have the money spent on a better camera than on biometric access.... but I'm hoping for both 1biggrin.gif

post #21 of 175

41 megapixels.. in a tiny pin head sensor. Anyone who has any remote ideas about camera sensor size vs MP rating will just sigh in disgust. Even 8 MP is ridiculous. 

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #22 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc999 View Post

 

You mean like adding fingerprint sensors? All the manufacturers are trying to find the next big differentiating feature. Apple blanketed the airwaves with Siri, a gimmicky, slow, busted feature, enticing you to use it because Zoey Deschanel is. 

I use Siri all the time in my car and to set alarms while in the office.  Who is Zoey Deschannel and why should I care?

I would use fingerprint sensor all the time if it worked quickly and was reliably. 

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #23 of 175

Wow, some bitter comments here. Nokia goes up against the most popular kid in the school and somehow people are shocked? Granted most companies will use "leading brand" or some other form of calling out the known product, but this is nothing new to marketing. If the iPhone wasn't the best, people would not be competing against it. 

 

With that said, I'm sure they would have had more traction having a certain NY Mayoral candidate advertising for their camera lol.gif

post #24 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinFoil View Post

The ad DID teach me how to pronounce "Nokia". Apparently, it's not the way I've been saying it!

 

I thought it was "No Kia" - like a statement that Honda makes better cars. Apparently it's more like "Knock Ya"?

post #25 of 175
They make a good case in those particular shots. I'm pretty happy with the iPhone 5 pic quality. That said, comparing the shots in this commercial the knock-ia shots are better. I had no idea they did Zeiss lenses, motion blur and action shots. Those are all very cool.
post #26 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPT View Post

Nokia probably makes the best phone cameras, and I hope they will succeed in making a comeback, and that Microsoft will succeed in establishing a healthy system. I am convinced that competition will result in me getting even better iPhones in the future at a lower price. And I personally couldn't care less about not having the best camera.

I'm all for competing based on "better" quality.  However, I question 41MP use in pinhead sized sensors. Better optics is more believable. Would a better camera convince me switch from iPhone to Nokia.  Not really. However, dont stop trying to compete based on better quality.  I like the direction.  Just need more of it.


Edited by snova - 8/5/13 at 9:08pm
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #27 of 175
So all I've got to do to get these (insanely large) photos is give up my insanely large App Store selection choice, regular OS updates, the ability to sync my phone, tablet, and computer, anything and everything I ever bought through Apple, and Apple's superb customer service?

Sounds like a sweet deal!
post #28 of 175

iPhone camera will be much improved on the next release. That we can be sure of.

 

Often wish that Apple had not put the lens so close to the corner. I find my fingertips in the shot way too often.

 

I was taking some close ups the other day and the focus gets really soft at around 100mm or closer.

 

I certainly wouldn't mind a better camera on the iPhone, although, for now I have several high end DSLRs if I really need high quality.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #29 of 175

Well many of you already said it, who cell phone buying decision is based on the camera, the people using the phone as a camera are the same people who bought Polaroid's and Instamatic Cameras in the day, all they were interested is in the instance gratification of taking a picture they could care less it was an actually good quality picture.

 

So many phone companies are looking for some thing to grab hold of to differentiated themselves from everyone else. We have yet another one saying look we take better picture than apple, but hey we have no real app or anything else you would like, isn't that a great reason to dump the other guy and come to us.

post #30 of 175
This article made me so mad just with the heading but, when I read the comments I noticed your @$$ was already handed to you, can I re-mention the DISASTER that is and always will be Windows 8! Hence why everyone is still on Windows 7 unless your a clueless consumer directed by someone at any given popular retailer. I am a Mac supporter all the way, it reminds me of the Camry... everyone wants to be better than the Camry ... Then why not just BUY A TOYOTA CAMRY! I find it HILARIOUS that for other companies to advertise their products they also tend to advertise their competition but as they say no publicity is bad publicity! Apple doesn't have to pay billions on commercials ( have you seen your profits over marketing budgets for Surface tablet?... lets just say there was no return! ) because everyone else helping promote by simply having the device in their commercial. In the end why not just own what everyone wants to see fail, the iPad ( #1 tablet JD Power & Assoc. #1 notebook JD Power, & #1 Desktop byJD Power... ).



~The End.
post #31 of 175

48 megapixel? Is that like 5 photos I can take? Is this Uprezzing or are they actually having a sensor this accurate? Kudos on them if they did.

 

They've got "optical" image stabilizing. Which is great, but is there a gyro in there and do they have room to float the lens? Is the stabilization merely taking more of the image and cropping it as you record? But there isn't much you can do with stabilization when you've got such a small device.

 

I wish Nokia the best, but since they got stuck with Windows OS, it makes sense that they are selling a camera and you get a free phone attached to it. I'd prefer a Canon 4D with a clamshell duct taped to it however.

post #32 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

41 megapixels.. in a tiny pin head sensor. Anyone who has any remote ideas about camera sensor size vs MP rating will just sigh in disgust. Even 8 MP is ridiculous. 

 

Have you actually done any research into why it has a 41 megapixel sensor and how it uses those pixels?

 

Nokia tends to use very large aperture sizes compared to other phone manufacturers and the standard output image is 8MP. 

post #33 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by sackofnouns View Post

who the **** buys a cellphone based off how good the camera is? stupid fucks who spit in the face of the establishment (Apple & Android) and buy from the little guy (Microsoft). I have no faith left in America, we are a stupid people

???? 1) Nokia isn't an American company, and since this is a Nokia ad, seems relevant, and 2) it appears that nobody (or hardly anybody) buys a phone based purely on the camera. I will admit, I have an iPhone in part because the camera is great, but when I got my original iPhone in 2007, the 2-megapixel camera wasn't all that good, even by 2007 standards, and I loved my iPhone just as much then, so it definitely is not a determining factor.

post #34 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

41 megapixels.. in a tiny pin head sensor. Anyone who has any remote ideas about camera sensor size vs MP rating will just sigh in disgust. Even 8 MP is ridiculous. 

 

Maybe read up on how it actually works, the end photo is only 8MP (or was it 5MP?). However, essentially, it allows you to zoom with lossless resolution, since you start with 41MP. 

 

It's mostly an algorithm thing if I understand it. Seems interesting.

post #35 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumergo View Post


It is interesting isn't it, a 'phone maker touting it's device camera capabilities?  What next - Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Hasselblad effusing about their toast-making capabilities?


So what do you say about Apple having an ad that goes on about people taking photos with iPhones?

post #36 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

41 megapixels.. in a tiny pin head sensor. Anyone who has any remote ideas about camera sensor size vs MP rating will just sigh in disgust. Even 8 MP is ridiculous. 

I'd expect that anyone with any remote ideas (and interest) about cameras will check some comprehensive reviews before making any final conclusions.

I'm personally using "supersampling" (or, if you prefer, good old-fashioned downsampling) on my RX100. I'm shooting RAW on both RX100 and D70s, and when I export images in Lightroom to 6MP JPG with same IQ, RX100 is giving me smoother, nicer results with less noise. There are other limitations that come with smaller sensor and other compromises imposed by camera size, like lack of DOF, limited flash, limited shutter speed, no interchangeable lenses... but when I compare photos made within RX100 comfort range to D70 photos made under same conditions, RX100 more often comes on top.

If you look around respectable web sites like dprevew.com, you'll notice that they were quite impressed with first PureView camera with 40MP sensor. I don't think they still have full review of a new model, but this is not so bad starting point for reasonable opinion-building process:

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/1305711237/lumia-1020?news
post #37 of 175

I wonder who is doing worse, Blackberry or Nokia ? 

post #38 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

But what's creative about just copying Apple's ad? And how come every time this comes up someone has to bring up the Mac vs PC ads? Can someone point to an iPhone or iPad ad that is a direct swipe against a competitor? If there was one I can't remember it.

It is easy to take the high road when you are already on top. Companies only take pot shots at the competition when they are struggling to gain a foothold in the marketplace. 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #39 of 175
I think the ad isn't that great. Reminds me of one of those women's makeup commercials, with a lady in two pictures, the second with the makeup on. No one ever takes the photos seriously, and the lady is usually frowning in the first and smiling in the second. I've heard that Nokia doesn't even have HDR yet, which means that if they compare each photo with all the features, iPhone probably wins in low light and color. People have learned not to trust Microsoft over the years. People have been wanting to escape their products for a while, they see an opening, why would they go back now?
post #40 of 175

I've said this before & i'll say it again.
I like the camera in the Lumia 920, it works really well, too bad it's wrapped in a massive chunky nokia & too bad its running windows phone 8...
In my desk draw at work i have the 920, no one wanted it so i play with it sometimes, see what apps are on the MS app thingy, still nothing...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Nokia slams iPhone 5 camera in parody of Apple ad