or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Nokia slams iPhone 5 camera in parody of Apple ad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nokia slams iPhone 5 camera in parody of Apple ad - Page 2

post #41 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumergo View Post

It is interesting isn't it, a 'phone maker touting it's device camera capabilities?  What next - Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Hasselblad effusing about their toast-making capabilities?

 

Obviously the camera wasn't *THE* deciding factor in my choosing an iPhone, but for my wife and me it actually was *A* factor. I wanted to quit carrying a point-n-shoot and my wife wanted to be able to grab a quick video here and there without having to get out the camcorder. So in our case the camera was part of what drew our attention to the iPhone in the first place. It we were now where we were then, we would probably give the Nokia a look based on that ad.

post #42 of 175
They seem to be taking a cue from Microsoft in comparing themselves to Apple directly in their ads. I don't get why they are focusing on Apple on not Samsung. They'd convince Galaxy S4 buyers over to a Lumia much more easily - the quality of the photos shown here look terrible on the S4:



There's an image gallery at the bottom of the following site of low-light samples from the 1020:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/amadoudiallo/2013/07/24/nokia-lumia-1020-low-light-images/

There's still a lot of grain in a few of the pictures. Picture 9 for example is tragic because the girl in the photo is beautiful but the Lumia has failed to capture the scene adequately:



Pictures 13 and 14 have grain all over the sky too. I expect it will produce better pictures than last year's iPhone 5 as it's clearly an area they've spent a lot of time on but there's still work to be done with mobile cameras.

The Lumia ran out of battery quite quickly shooting photos too:

"My fully charged 1020 with wireless enabled but no calls placed or received, made it through only one and a half hours and 142 image captures (with the 5MP+38MP option enabed) before the battery drained to 9%."

Apple tends to make compromises in each area to give the best all-round experience.
post #43 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

So what do you say about Apple having an ad that goes on about people taking photos with iPhones?

Apple is just presenting facts.

Lots of people bought iPhones over the past few years. They took so many pictures that the iPhone ended up being the #1 camera in the world. It was organic. It just happened.

Now Apple is simply stating that in a commercial "Every day, more photos are taken with the iPhone than any other camera."

If I was Apple... I'd be pretty proud if that.
post #44 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

A good camera makes a good camera, it doesn't make a good phone.

Maybe Nokia should go into making cameras.

All the complaints about touting camera performance are ridiculous.

A better camera WILL help sell phones. If your existing cell phone does everything you want and IF (that's a big 'if' since it hasn't been proven that their camera is much better) someone offers you a new cell phone that also does everything you want, but has a significantly better camera, why wouldn't you consider it? You'd balance the pluses against the minuses. If everything else is equal, the better camera might be enough to sway the decision.

And lots of people DO take a lot of pictures on their cell phones. I no longer use a point and shoot camera and only rarely take my SLR digital camera out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

41 megapixels.. in a tiny pin head sensor. Anyone who has any remote ideas about camera sensor size vs MP rating will just sigh in disgust. Even 8 MP is ridiculous. 

That's certainly true - and it will be interesting to see the side-by-side reviews of the pictures from both cameras. I suspect that the Nokia will be better some times and the iPhone will be better some times.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #45 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

They make a good case in those particular shots. I'm pretty happy with the iPhone 5 pic quality. That said, comparing the shots in this commercial the knock-ia shots are better. I had no idea they did Zeiss lenses, motion blur and action shots. Those are all very cool.

As to motion blur and action shots, there are apps for that for the iphone so these points are grossly misleading marketing BS!
post #46 of 175
Oh, let's release our latest product first and compare against last year's model and think we're better.

HEY NOKIA. PRESS RELEASE.

Windows OS SUCKS, and no one is writing any apps for it. Plus there is not many people buying into the platform.

Why don't you attack Android phones instead, it's lot easier.
post #47 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by sackofnouns View Post

who the **** buys a cellphone based off how good the camera is? stupid fucks who spit in the face of the establishment (Apple & Android) and buy from the little guy (Microsoft). I have no faith left in America, we are a stupid people

Hey Nokia, since you have a 41 Megapixel camera, go slam Hasselblad, they charge $18K for a 40 Megapixel camera.    Yeah right, like someone that uses Hasselblad cameras give a rat's ass about a Nokia phone.

post #48 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Apple tends to make compromises in each area to give the best all-round experience.

 

I hadn't thought about that. I guess sometimes a design engineer may choose to implement a less-than-state-of-the-art component if using something better would have a negative affect on something else, and that negative affect outweighs the benefits of using it.

 

Like, say, using a lesser camera so that the user isn't stuck with a dead phone halfway through the day because taking all those fabulous pictures drained the battery.

post #49 of 175
I have no words.........except it took them this long to come out with an ad to go against a April one??!!?!
post #50 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

No Kia, no I don't own a Kia!

I know! The dude in the commercial pronounced the name wrong! :)

post #51 of 175
Won't buy the phone, but that is a great ad.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #52 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Picture 9 for example is tragic because the girl in the photo is beautiful but the Lumia has failed to capture the scene adequately:
 

Even the most expensive DSLR cannot capture the scene adequately when the white balance filter is trying to correct for multiple light sources at the same time such as diode flash, incandescent, halogen, fluorescent, television, neon sign, fireplace, etc, which appears to be the situation in the example photo.


Edited by mstone - 8/5/13 at 4:51pm

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #53 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Nokia? Don't they make furniture? 1smile.gif

 

Yeah, but you have to put it together yourself...

post #54 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by sackofnouns View Post

who the **** buys a cellphone based off how good the camera is? stupid fucks who spit in the face of the establishment (Apple & Android) and buy from the little guy (Microsoft). I have no faith left in America, we are a stupid people

 

Hate to break it to you but "it"  hasn't been "a cellphone" for many years now.

What people are buying now, despite refering to it as a "smartphone," is actually a "pocketable, networked supercomputer with a variety of environmental sensors," including GPS, camera, compass, gyros, etc. And they are buying them to meet highly individualized needs of all kinds (they don't limit themselves to your imagination.)

post #55 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

 

Obviously the camera wasn't *THE* deciding factor in my choosing an iPhone, but for my wife and me it actually was *A* factor. I wanted to quit carrying a point-n-shoot and my wife wanted to be able to grab a quick video here and there without having to get out the camcorder. So in our case the camera was part of what drew our attention to the iPhone in the first place. It we were now where we were then, we would probably give the Nokia a look based on that ad.

Nokia is also anxious to show it's performance over Apple's last year's iPhone because Apple will be upgrading the camera output in iOS7. This is similar to Microsoft poking fun of the year old iPad because it can't show a movie while the user creates a PowerPoint. MS knows Apple will be making it possible for third-party developers to do multitasking with their apps in a couple months... need to get in their "advantage" before it evaporates.

post #56 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorfl21 View Post

I wonder who is doing worse, Blackberry or Nokia ? 

There is that place called Internet, and all sort of info can be found there.

Nokia is doing much better than Blackberry - in fact, it is growing Lumia sales faster than Apple and all Android OEMs were doing in the same time-frame (relative to their platform release). Considering that WP8 is out for less than a year, and WP7 was self-sacrificed with early announcement of WP8 (and lack of upgrade path for WP7 devices), I'd say Nokia is on a right path.

Lumia 920 was voted best smartphone in 2012 by Engadget readers, and Windows Phone 8 has higher user satisfaction than Android - in fact, is competing well with iOS. You will find sources where iOS has upper hand and sources where WP8 has upper hand in customers' satisfaction ratings. Regardless of your rage in that other post, Windows Phone 8 is excellent smartphone OS; problem is not with Windows Phone 8, it works great on phones - but with Windows 8 and MS trying to transfer same GUI to desktop/laptops.
post #57 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Hate to break it to you but "it"  hasn't been "a cellphone" for many years now.
What people are buying now, despite refering to it as a "smartphone," is actually a "pocketable, networked supercomputer with a variety of environmental sensors," including GPS, camera, compass, gyros, etc. And they are buying them to meet highly individualized needs of all kinds (they don't limit themselves to your imagination.)

People are funny, aren't they? I remember so many people raving about iPhone 4, 4s and 5 cameras when they first appeared, predicting imminent death of digital cameras as everyone will be using smartphones because "... the best camera is the one you have with you" and all that... and now that there are better cameras on the smartphone around, suddenly who cares about camera on a phone?!?

Silly.
post #58 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc999 View Post

 

You mean like adding fingerprint sensors? All the manufacturers are trying to find the next big differentiating feature. Apple blanketed the airwaves with Siri, a gimmicky, slow, busted feature, enticing you to use it because Zoey Deschanel is. 

Let's see: Zoey Deschanel in her sleep wear, on a sleepy rainy morning... I'm all over that like a blanket. 

post #59 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Nokia is also anxious to show it's performance over Apple's last year's iPhone because Apple will be upgrading the camera output in iOS7. This is similar to Microsoft poking fun of the year old iPad because it can't show a movie while the user creates a PowerPoint. MS knows Apple will be making it possible for third-party developers to do multitasking with their apps in a couple months... need to get in their "advantage" before it evaporates.

Well of course, you play to your advantages while you have them. I recall Apple putting good emphasis on iPhone's Retina display, but now that so many phones are offering higher resolutions and DPI, advertising focus has moved elsewhere. But if Apple regains res/DPI crown with some Retina+ upgrade in the future, I have no doubts they will not fail to market on that.

Everyone advertise what makes their product better, or at least can be perceived as such.
post #60 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinFoil View Post

The ad DID teach me how to pronounce "Nokia". Apparently, it's not the way I've been saying it!

Same here:

 

Rhymes with 'Knockers', I guess.

 

Cute. 

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #61 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

I've heard that Nokia doesn't even have HDR yet, which means that if they compare each photo with all the features, iPhone probably wins in low light and color.

 

One might look at Nokia's oversampling and and Apple's HDR approaches as two somewhat diverging methods of moving toward the same goal. The oversampling strategy pursues dense spacial sampling while HDR pursues dense exposure sampling. Both record extra information in order to produce images with better signal to noise ratios.

post #62 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

I've said this before & i'll say it again.

I like the camera in the Lumia 920, it works really well, too bad it's wrapped in a massive chunky nokia & too bad its running windows phone 8...

In my desk draw at work i have the 920, no one wanted it so i play with it sometimes, see what apps are on the MS app thingy, still nothing...

Yeah, only 120 000 apps so far. I couldn't find enough fart apps, I was really very disappointed with offer.
post #63 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post


I'd expect that anyone with any remote ideas (and interest) about cameras will check some comprehensive reviews before making any final conclusions.

I'm personally using "supersampling" (or, if you prefer, good old-fashioned downsampling) on my RX100. I'm shooting RAW on both RX100 and D70s, and when I export images in Lightroom to 6MP JPG with same IQ, RX100 is giving me smoother, nicer results with less noise. There are other limitations that come with smaller sensor and other compromises imposed by camera size, like lack of DOF, limited flash, limited shutter speed, no interchangeable lenses... but when I compare photos made within RX100 comfort range to D70 photos made under same conditions, RX100 more often comes on top.

If you look around respectable web sites like dprevew.com, you'll notice that they were quite impressed with first PureView camera with 40MP sensor. I don't think they still have full review of a new model, but this is not so bad starting point for reasonable opinion-building process:

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/1305711237/lumia-1020?news

 

Yeah, Nokia is doing some interesting things with the camera. I applaud them in that I often wish I could have a bit more control over Apple's cameras. Although most people probably don't care, its good to see Nokia doing some interesting touch screen UI work for camera controls. (It seems nobody else in the space is doing it.)

 

BTW, the problem small sensors is too much DOF (no Boka!) not a lack of it. But I assume this is what you meant. :-)


Edited by DESuserIGN - 8/5/13 at 6:09pm
post #64 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

48 megapixel? Is that like 5 photos I can take? Is this Uprezzing or are they actually having a sensor this accurate? Kudos on them if they did.

 It is in fact a very dense sensor and not up sampled as one might have assumed.

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

They've got "optical" image stabilizing. Which is great, but is there a gyro in there and do they have room to float the lens? Is the stabilization merely taking more of the image and cropping it as you record? But there isn't much you can do with stabilization when you've got such a small device.

Amazingly the whole darn lens (not just a snigle element) is moved to correct hand movement as sensed by gyros. It's pretty cool. I was also surprised.

post #65 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

I've said this before & i'll say it again.
I like the camera in the Lumia 920, it works really well, too bad it's wrapped in a massive chunky nokia & too bad its running windows phone 8...
In my desk draw at work i have the 920, no one wanted it so i play with it sometimes, see what apps are on the MS app thingy, still nothing...

I love the Nokia 920. I like the OS a lot too. Yes they are still waiting on some big apps but there really isn't much I need that I don't have. I take pictures alot and appreciate a good camera built in. Would love to upgrade to the 1020 but waiting on my two year discount. 

 

My iPhone 4 sits in the drawer now.

post #66 of 175
I see they aren't mentioning Windows anymore ...
post #67 of 175

"The best camera is the one you have with you" - Chase Jarvis

 

Unfortunately for Nokia, no one has, nor wants a Lumia.

post #68 of 175

These recent ads by Nokia, Samsung, and Microsoft actually make me feel pretty good. At least we know who they acknowledge to be the top dog... Apple! Microsoft's ads denigrating the iPad really helped sales didn't they. Those ads helped so much Microsoft was forced to drop the price of the RT and now the Pro AND take a $900 million write off! LMAO!

 

Now comes Nokia with their zillion megapixel camera phone taking the iPhone to task. And off course we had the Samsung barrage showing how Apple users are slobbering dolts.

 

My, my, my... all those big guns aimed right at Apple. Any doubts as to who they think owns the market? I thought not.

post #69 of 175
Did anyone notice that the "side by side" of the ballerina has significantly more lighting on the Nokia side than the iPhone side? Misleading... again.

Anyway, most of the camera differences shown are due to white balance (i.e. software). No big deal as that can be improved upon. Still, I rarely use my iPhone as a camera. It's a nice to have feature but there are other things I use way more.
post #70 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Nokia? Don't they make furniture? 1smile.gif

 

it's rubber boots, actually. 

post #71 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

"The best camera is the one you have with you" - Chase Jarvis

Unfortunately for Nokia, no one has, nor wants a Lumia.

Wow, were you not educated in what "no one" means?
post #72 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

I love the Nokia 920. I like the OS a lot too. Yes they are still waiting on some big apps but there really isn't much I need that I don't have. I take pictures alot and appreciate a good camera built in. Would love to upgrade to the 1020 but waiting on my two year discount. 

 

My iPhone 4 sits in the drawer now.

 

amazing how there still aren'T any important apps, despite of the fact that Nokia was actually buying apps from so-called independent 3rd party developers for years now....apps that no one used, no one cared about.

 

it'S pretty much same here: no one cares about you loving 920 and trolling about putting iPhone 4 in the drawer.  who cares.

post #73 of 175
I can see this as true and a great ad against apple. I hate my iPhone 4S camera. I still carry a sony camera for pictures because they just look sooooo much better. But I love my iPhone. I don't believe in one product for everything. That's why I have a sony camera along with the best PHONE made.
post #74 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

 

I thought it was "No Kia" - like a statement that Honda makes better cars. Apparently it's more like "Knock Ya"?

Not unless they just changed it. I think that announcer is confused. Here's an ad with "No Kia." 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_inH4DNStw

post #75 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post


Well of course, you play to your advantages while you have them. I recall Apple putting good emphasis on iPhone's Retina display, but now that so many phones are offering higher resolutions and DPI, advertising focus has moved elsewhere. But if Apple regains res/DPI crown with some Retina+ upgrade in the future, I have no doubts they will not fail to market on that.

Everyone advertise what makes their product better, or at least can be perceived as such.

 

Nope. Guys at Apple are not idiots to point out single feature and brag about it. They know very good about what you wrote above. Apple sells package.

post #76 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Yeah, Nokia is doing some interesting things with the camera. I applaud them in that I often wish I could have a bit more control over Apple's cameras. Although most people probably don't care, its good to see Nokia doing some interesting touch screen UI work for camera controls. (It seems nobody else in the space is doing it.)

BTW, the problem small sensors is too much DOF (no Boka!)
 not a lack of it. But I assume this is what you meant. :-)

Yah, sorry. Was typing that in the office, too many phones ringing around for me to focus on what I'm typing 1wink.gif
post #77 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

"The best camera is the one you have with you" - Chase Jarvis

 

Unfortunately for Nokia, no one has, nor wants a Lumia.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post


Wow, were you not educated in what "no one" means?

That's what's known as hyperbole, pronounced hi-PER-bo-lee. You can learn more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole

 

jkichline makes a valid point.

post #78 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

Nope. Guys at Apple are not idiots to point out single feature and brag about it. They know very good about what you wrote above. Apple sells package.

Saying "Nope" does not change the fact that "amazing Retina display" was most frequent element in commercials... for a while. Then it faded away. Of course adds were not completely focusing on Retina; but Retina was more common than any other hardware features, actually one of rare hardware features that Apple was insisting on.

Their current adds are much more feature oriented - I'll give you that.
post #79 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

That's OK. It's all about marketing. I don't mind this sort of fair competition.

Microsoft makes fun of Apple same as Apple used to do with their MAC / PC guys! 1wink.gif

But it's a lot different than Google, Motorola, Samsung and a few others simply copying Apple and then bash Apple!

 

Google ads are well known for being classy, tasteful, playful. I challenge you to find a single Google commercial that bashes Apple. Really, I'd be interested if you can dig up an actual TV, radio, or print ad that does this (Google I/O keynote isn't a commercial) Apple is the company that directly attacks others ("I'm a Mac, you're a PC", "1984")

 

In contrast, Microsoft runs campaigns like "Scroogled" and attacks on cheesy Google Docs.

 

I find it amazing that when the iPhone is rated #1 camera, ya'll are lording it over everyone, but when they get beat, all of a sudden, no one cares about buying phones for camera quality. Wahmbulance, call it.

post #80 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

amazing how there still aren'T any important apps, despite of the fact that Nokia was actually buying apps from so-called independent 3rd party developers for years now....apps that no one used, no one cared about.

it'S pretty much same here: no one cares about you loving 920 and trolling about putting iPhone 4 in the drawer.  who cares.

You did reply. Obviously you do care. Whatever reason you might have.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Nokia slams iPhone 5 camera in parody of Apple ad