or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple announces 'Takeback Program' for counterfeit USB power adapters
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple announces 'Takeback Program' for counterfeit USB power adapters - Page 2

post #41 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Name ANY other phone maker that would even remotely do the same thing in Apple's position... you listening Samsung??

Samsung is the one producing the counterfeit adapters in the first place.
post #42 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by backstab View Post

Just watch. Somehow this will get spun as Apple admitting fault for the counterfeit charger electrocutions.

 

You're correct and that's the problem with such a campaign.   It's a tough call for Apple.  

 

The part I don't understand is why is anyone using a 3rd party adapter (unless they purchased a 2nd or 3rd adapter for use in other locations, like work)?   Doesn't Apple supply one legit adapter with each device all over the world?

 

I bet these cheap adapters weren't even purchased at retail: I bet they were purchased from street vendors.  

post #43 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

 

Samsung does use a standard charger.

 

In fact, they use Apple's:

 

 

 

Thanks for clearing that up.

 

That's odd.  When did Samsung start to use Apple's charger?  Couple months ago, I was at my friend's house and my iphone ran out of battery, but his Samsung charger couldn't charge my iphone.  I'll have to check again.  I'll be able to save some money if I can use Samsung charger for my iphone.

post #44 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

 

...despite the fact that Apple had to do nothing about replacing any of these non-genuine chargers for individuals who feel obliged to save a dollar and answer their phones after just stepping out of the shower, covered in water, while having it plugged into a lethal, electrical power source.

 

Let me sum it up for you:

 

Apple did nothing wrong here and STILL offered to address the issue.

 

Good customer service, yes?

 

Chance to make some profit too!  Hope it'll raise the stock by a dollar or 2.

post #45 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Samsung does use a standard charger.

In fact, they use Apple's:



Thanks for clearing that up.

That's odd.  When did Samsung start to use Apple's charger?  Couple months ago, I was at my friend's house and my iphone ran out of battery, but his Samsung charger couldn't charge my iphone.  I'll have to check again.  I'll be able to save some money if I can use Samsung charger for my iphone.

Instead of trying to save some money, why don't you try to save your life?
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #46 of 57
What a joke! Apple will take back and dispose of the 3rd party charger that you purchased. Well, at least they will replace it with an official Apple charger for free or at cost, right? WRONG! You can buy a charger from them for $10. How is this a good deal for we consumers -- especially given the fact that most of these 3rd party chargers work just fine?

This is a great way to throw away a perfectly good charger and your money PLUS line Apple's pockets even more by buying a new charger from them. Thanks but no thanks, Apple.
post #47 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meyers View Post

How is this a good deal for we consumers

Your previous stupidity doesn't end up KILLING YOU or DESTROYING YOUR IDEVICE. 1oyvey.gif

Are you freaking kidding me?
Quote:
…a perfectly good charger…

Don't come back in six months complaining how your iPhone got fried, then.
post #48 of 57
Every problem in the World is Apples fault of course

Originally by Rickers - 2014 : Cook & will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost so long.



 Originally Posted by  thataveragejoe :  Next week  Korea Times, "I'm gay too"-Samsung



 



Reply

Originally by Rickers - 2014 : Cook & will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost so long.



 Originally Posted by  thataveragejoe :  Next week  Korea Times, "I'm gay too"-Samsung



 



Reply
post #49 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meyers View Post

What a joke! Apple will take back and dispose of the 3rd party charger that you purchased. Well, at least they will replace it with an official Apple charger for free or at cost, right? WRONG! You can buy a charger from them for $10. How is this a good deal for we consumers -- especially given the fact that most of these 3rd party chargers work just fine?

This is a great way to throw away a perfectly good charger and your money PLUS line Apple's pockets even more by buying a new charger from them. Thanks but no thanks, Apple.

 

so this douchebag joined Apple insider just to say that , how many more posts can we expect I wonder , waiting for #2

Originally by Rickers - 2014 : Cook & will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost so long.



 Originally Posted by  thataveragejoe :  Next week  Korea Times, "I'm gay too"-Samsung



 



Reply

Originally by Rickers - 2014 : Cook & will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost so long.



 Originally Posted by  thataveragejoe :  Next week  Korea Times, "I'm gay too"-Samsung



 



Reply
post #50 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Samsung is the one producing the counterfeit adapters in the first place.

 

I have both.  In real life, they don't look very much alike.  The Samsung one has a nice flange to grab hold of.  The Apple one has that grey inner area.  There's no way to mistake one for the other.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

The part I don't understand is why is anyone using a 3rd party adapter (unless they purchased a 2nd or 3rd adapter for use in other locations, like work)?   Doesn't Apple supply one legit adapter with each device all over the world?

 

Apple doesn't provide a charger with the iPod touch, for instance.  Just a USB cable.

 

And golly, I sure wish Apple used a mini-USB like the rest of the planet, so you could use anybody's charger while you're out and around.    Or maybe be really cool and come up with a port that takes both theirs and mini-USB.

 

If anything will hurt their "cheaper iPhone" chances in emerging countries, it'll be requiring Apple cables that might be hard to keep or find.


Edited by KDarling - 8/6/13 at 2:05pm
post #51 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

There's no way to mistake one for the other.

Samsung would take that as a great compliment.
Quote:
And golly, I sure wish Apple used a mini-USB like the rest of the planet, so you could use anybody's charger while you're out and around.

Refer to any of Solipsism's posts on this to know why you're wrong in wanting that.
post #52 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

I have both.  In real life, they don't look very much alike.  The Samsung one has a nice flange to grab hold of.  The Apple one has that grey inner area.  There's no way to mistake one for the other.


Apple doesn't provide a charger with the iPod touch, for instance.  Just a USB cable.

And golly, I sure wish Apple used a mini-USB like the rest of the planet, so you could use anybody's charger while you're out and around.    Or maybe be really cool and come up with a port that takes both theirs and mini-USB.

If anything will hurt their "cheaper iPhone" chances in emerging countries, it'll be requiring Apple cables that might be hard to keep or find.

Is it true that Samsung phones get software updates about as often as their chargers?

1wink.gif
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
Reply
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
Reply
post #53 of 57

I would mostly agree with you but some people are getting knockoff chargers bundled with "region shifted /gray market" iPhones. And I personally paid a normal price for what I thought was a real Apple charger in a Moscow "Apple"-ish store and it turned out to be a fake. I'm not saying that everyone is being fooled and certainly some (many) people will buy anything they can plug a USB cable in and charge their phone without thinking twice. I have even noticed that on some planes the USB ports are poorly grounded or are under/over voltage causing weird behavior with my phone. One amplified the sensitivity on my touch screen so much that I could interact with it even with my fingers an inch away. 

post #54 of 57
I'm surprised no one has mentioned that 1) Apple's chargers are made in China anyway and 2) out of 250 million plus worldwide iPhone sales, only two incidences of these "faulty" chargers are assisting Apple in reaping a windfall off of their brand Chinese made chargers. The only difference is that they are reaping the reward.

Definitely agree with Joe that they will be utilizing the trade in numbers to figure out what market share they are losing, but with Apple being as litigious as they are, I'm sure it will be used in the courts more than as a learning experience.
post #55 of 57
post #56 of 57

I thought that the family of the fellow in the coma and the young lady had insisted that the chargers were not fake. Apple responded initially by saying  'It was with great sadness we learned through press reports that a Beijing customer was injured while using a "knock off" or counterfeit charger and we are looking into this further."  but to date they have neither denied or confirmed if either were fake. Does it really take 3 months to confirm if a product is genuine?
 

 

Just because a charger is an original there is no guarantee that some wont be dud. All products are manufactured to have an "acceptable" failure rate.

 

There have been reports of genuine Apple chargers catching fire, eg the iphone charger used to charge an ipad

 

There is no reason to assume that an Apple charger is any safer than a belkin one but I would rather not leave a pound shop charger plugged in all of the time.


Edited by hungover - 9/8/13 at 3:01am
post #57 of 57
Its not only the fake plug in devices. I had two original USB lighting chords fail and one shocked my son and me. There are hundreds of complaints on the accessory reviews of this 1 m cable, and we are not the only ones getting shocks. We have iPad retina tablets with lightning chargers, and they do not hold up. I cut open the chord to see what was going on, and I found bare wire and brown discoloration. I went to the local store to buy knockoffs, because of the poor quality of the originals. Our BB knockoffs seem to be holding up, but Apple needs to address their chords as well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple announces 'Takeback Program' for counterfeit USB power adapters