or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's new 'FaceTime Every Day' ad continues powerful iPhone campaign
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's new 'FaceTime Every Day' ad continues powerful iPhone campaign - Page 2

post #41 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsico View Post

Then I would like to see you explain exactly why they're yet to support most BlueTooth profiles; on the iPhone they even go out of their way to remove support for HID, which is supported to some extent on the iPad.  For example: you want to transfer a picture over Bluetooth and that's not supported, because OBEX is not supported; same thing for contacts, everyone else in the industry allows you to exchange contact cards through bluetooth, which is also a great way to synchronize contact information between Apple and non-Apple devices, but on the Apple cam, if you want to send someone else your own contact card, you have to do it through E-mail.  How do you explain this?  Also, how do you explain not being able to even read SMSes (not to mention write them, receive and make voice calls) on an iPad when all the hardware required to do it is present and you've paid premium for it?

 

Sending files over bluetooth has always been a buggy mess that simply didn't work on 90% of the hardware that it was supposed to work on.  As a result, almost no one uses bluetooth to send files of any kind.  You are just one, unique, very persistent user that wants and uses the functionality that the rest of humanity walked away from years ago.  Now that Wi-Fi is so ubiquitous, things are even less likely to change.  

post #42 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


http://www.fiercedeveloper.com/story/facetime-open-standard-never-happened/2012-12-06

FWIW I don't believe Mr; Jobs also said it would be a free standard. Perhaps Apple's offer had too many strings or costs attached to garner any interest from standards bodies. Perhaps Apple didn't follow thru in the first place and offer the IP. Perhaps someone whispered in Mr Jobs ear that Facetime was more valuable as Apple-only IP and forget what you said. Who knows. At the end of the day it didn't happen for whatever reason.

 

Good article on that link, but I had to stop myself from clawing out my eyes due to the sheer ugliness of the web site hosting it.  What an assault on the senses!   

post #43 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Good article on that link, but I had to stop myself from clawing out my eyes due to the sheer ugliness of the web site hosting it.  What an assault on the senses!   

Yeah it's pretty durn ugly.1hmm.gif
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #44 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanFruniken View Post

I used to have lots of iChat correspondents.
Today I hardly have a few.
Every time these people go through a new iOS/OSX/hardware upgrade, something changes, and a lot of iChat users are lost in the process.

Nothing changes; they change. iChat works as it always has. People just don't use IM anymore.

And don't get me started with Skype. I hate Skype.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You know what would really help Apple with it's Facetime push?  Bringing back the f*cking iPhone dock that they discontinued for no f*cking reason at all.

Hey, you're right. I forgot about that. I'm not too jazzed about buying an iPhone I can't dock.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #45 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


You need to refresh their homepage
http://www.apple.com/iphone/videos/#tv-ads-facetime-every-day

Just watched it...thx for the link. Impressive ad. Wow! Typical Apple. Imagine the work that went to getting all those clips from around the world!

 

:)

post #46 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Good article on that link, but I had to stop myself from clawing out my eyes due to the sheer ugliness of the web site hosting it.  What an assault on the senses!   

Yeah it's pretty durn ugly.1hmm.gif

At least it doesn't have things flashing in my face. Good thing we have Safari's Reader option. Man, I like that!
post #47 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I love these ads. And they sure do piss off the haters and trolls so they must be effective. 1biggrin.gif


After watching the ad the thought entered my mind that the competition doesn't even know they've been clobbered, much less how it happened. I was truly struck with how much Apple's competition doesn't get that this is about communication, not about chipsets, operating systems, megahertz, megabytes, and pixel depth.

post #48 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

 

Lastly, I don't think Apple should make FT platform-agnostic. For Apple's sake, it makes their own hardware valuable...

People always claim this, with zero evidence.

 

I could equally claim that getting people turned on to Apple software is an excellent way to hook them into its ecosystem, i.e., hardware (think iTunes).

post #49 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You know what would really help Apple with it's Facetime push?  Bringing back the f*cking iPhone dock that they discontinued for no f*cking reason at all.

Hey, you're right. I forgot about that. I'm not too jazzed about buying an iPhone I can't dock.

Why? There are a gazillion third-party docks/stands. Some of them even look nicer than Apple's prior version.

post #50 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And don't get me started with Skype. I hate Skype.
 

Yeah I hate the way they let you have a phone number from anywhere in the world and forward incoming calls to your iPhone. And charging you pennies a minute for international calling is ridiculous. What were they thinking when they integrated txt, file sharing, video and voice into a single application. And really?..how strange that they release it for so many devices and platforms, what a waste.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #51 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yeah I hate the way they let you have a phone number from anywhere in the world and forward incoming calls to your iPhone. And charging you pennies a minute for international calling is ridiculous. What were they thinking when they integrated txt, file sharing, video and voice into a single application. And really?..how strange that they release it for so many devices and platforms, what a waste.

More that Apple made a standard first and they ignored it entirely. Now they're compatible with absolutely nothing but themselves and Apple's relegated to obscurity AGAIN.

Why would I want a Skype account when I already have an iCloud (and previous) one? Why would I want their horrible software on my devices when I already have great software, fully integrated?

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #52 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yeah I hate the way they let you have a phone number from anywhere in the world and forward incoming calls to your iPhone. And charging you pennies a minute for international calling is ridiculous. What were they thinking when they integrated txt, file sharing, video and voice into a single application. And really?..how strange that they release it for so many devices and platforms, what a waste.

More that Apple made a standard first and they ignored it entirely. Now they're compatible with absolutely nothing but themselves and Apple's relegated to obscurity AGAIN.

Why would I want a Skype account when I already have an iCloud (and previous) one? Why would I want their horrible software on my devices when I already have great software, fully integrated?

That's probably why they fired Forstall. He was a Skype fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXUmKKJc3B8

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #53 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

Sending files over bluetooth has always been a buggy mess that simply didn't work on 90% of the hardware that it was supposed to work on.  As a result, almost no one uses bluetooth to send files of any kind.  You are just one, unique, very persistent user that wants and uses the functionality that the rest of humanity walked away from years ago.  Now that Wi-Fi is so ubiquitous, things are even less likely to change.  

Strange, I don't recall ever having problems with Bluetooth on Symbian...  And no, Wi-Fi is far from being close to the same thing; Bluetooth is ad-hoc P2P, Wi-Fi is not (by default).  Furthermore, there are plenty of other useful profiles beyond OBEX that you conveniently ignored, such as HID (which I mentioned), BIP, BPP, DUN, PAN, FAX, A2DP, AVP, HSP, MAP, OPP, PBAP, and SAP just to name a few useful profiles.  Bluetooth works great when properly implemented.

 

So, again, I am waiting for your justification for both this and the remainder of my original points.

 

For example: right now there's no easy way to send a picture from my phone to someone else's that doesn't involve E-mailing it.  Even exchanging pictures between iDevices and Macs is unnecessarily complicated.  If Apple is all about simplicity, and they don't hae vendor lock-in in mind, then why was I finding it easier to do these things back in 2006 on my Nokia N95 than in 2013 on my iPhone 4S and iPad 3?

post #54 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

The ad is nice, but I still feel that video chat is a very awkward thing.

your point is well taken. who really wants to see our faces (we all ain't pretty), and thus our emotions (that's the key)? so i'm sure Facetime is used almost entirely between family, close friends, and trusted colleagues. i think that covers every vignette in the ad.

 

but that is a huge part of our lives subjectively. so it's still a very big deal - something important to us. that's why it's the subject of major new ad #3.

 

probably the key reason FaceTime is popular is that it is preloaded in all Macs and iOS devices. so once you have your Apple ID and a Mail account and load up your address book it Just Works. no signing up, no settings, and no ads. (you can always load the Skyp app too if desired but it's more complicated).

 

Apple is never going to go cross platform with Facetime. it could never be as simple and Just Work on other systems. but of course the real reason is that Facetime encourages Apple hardware brand loyalty within entire families and groups of friends. end of story.


Edited by Alfiejr - 8/6/13 at 9:04am
post #55 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

Love to see Nokia's counterpart for this one 1smile.gif

Do you mean "(knock)ia"? lol
post #56 of 67
"Everyday, more people connect face-to-face on the iPhone than any other phone."

Yeah, over Skype.

"Powerful" huh? None of these new ads are what I would describe as "powerful." Miss the old, playfully themed ads of Apple's days gone by.
post #57 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

"Everyday, more people connect face-to-face on the iPhone than any other phone."

Yeah, over Skype.

"Powerful" huh? None of these new ads are what I would describe as "powerful." Miss the old, playfully themed ads of Apple's days gone by.

We may just have to agree to disagree on this.

 

The previous ad campaign before this one was much more playful and did a good job of highlighting iOS exclusive apps

 

example: 

 

However I feel like it was almost *too* frenetic going from app to app to app rapid fire, making it hard to sink a point in. Compare it to the original iPhone 3G ads highlighting a specific app, and showing how its use makes your life easier. 

 

example:

 

I like the current ad campaign more as it shows people actually enjoying and using their phones in everyday life, much as we'd use them in real life (contrast with a bunch of dancers beat boxing around a tablet while break dancing on a table). 

post #58 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

People always claim this, with zero evidence.

 

I could equally claim that getting people turned on to Apple software is an excellent way to hook them into its ecosystem, i.e., hardware (think iTunes).

iTunes is a pretty bad example, as it is available on Windows.

 

And zero evidence? I have mush anecdotal evidence of teens who encourage peers into Apple devices because of iMessage. I encouraged my wife to move from Blackberry to iPhone due largely to this and in turn I encouraged many of my in-laws to move to iPhone due to the ease of use and fun of iMessage and FaceTime.

 

That may not be evidence that is "generalizable", but it also isn;t Zero evidence.

For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
post #59 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsico View Post

Strange, I don't recall ever having problems with Bluetooth on Symbian...  And no, Wi-Fi is far from being close to the same thing; Bluetooth is ad-hoc P2P, Wi-Fi is not (by default).  Furthermore, there are plenty of other useful profiles beyond OBEX that you conveniently ignored, such as HID (which I mentioned), BIP, BPP, DUN, PAN, FAX, A2DP, AVP, HSP, MAP, OPP, PBAP, and SAP just to name a few useful profiles.  Bluetooth works great when properly implemented.

 

So, again, I am waiting for your justification for both this and the remainder of my original points.

 

For example: right now there's no easy way to send a picture from my phone to someone else's that doesn't involve E-mailing it.  Even exchanging pictures between iDevices and Macs is unnecessarily complicated.  If Apple is all about simplicity, and they don't hae vendor lock-in in mind, then why was I finding it easier to do these things back in 2006 on my Nokia N95 than in 2013 on my iPhone 4S and iPad 3?

If you think the ONLY possible reason Apple isn't enabling or supporting these other protocols simply is vendor lock-in, you must have unprecedented access to Apple's corporate strategy and far greater insight to hardware and communications engineering than anyone on this site. Maybe the vast majority of their own customers are quite alright with the way things are. I certainly find that over the years very many capabilities I had hoped for have eventually made their way into my Apple products.

 

Also, there are very many examples of things Apple could do that they have not done yet that would greatly force vendor lock-in. It simply may be a matter of a more utilitarian philosophy and priority setting-not just vendor lock-in. I'd love to see Airplay file sharing between iOS 7 devices and macs running OS X Mavericks, but it appears that is not happening. Is that due to a desire to lock-in customers? It wouldn't seem so. 

For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
post #60 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm6032 View Post


After watching the ad the thought entered my mind that the competition doesn't even know they've been clobbered, much less how it happened. I was truly struck with how much Apple's competition doesn't get that this is about communication, not about chipsets, operating systems, megahertz, megabytes, and pixel depth.

This is a wise post, seems to me.
post #61 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

If you think the ONLY possible reason Apple isn't enabling or supporting these other protocols simply is vendor lock-in, you must have unprecedented access to Apple's corporate strategy and far greater insight to hardware and communications engineering than anyone on this site. Maybe the vast majority of their own customers are quite alright with the way things are. I certainly find that over the years very many capabilities I had hoped for have eventually made their way into my Apple products.

 

Also, there are very many examples of things Apple could do that they have not done yet that would greatly force vendor lock-in. It simply may be a matter of a more utilitarian philosophy and priority setting-not just vendor lock-in. I'd love to see Airplay file sharing between iOS 7 devices and macs running OS X Mavericks, but it appears that is not happening. Is that due to a desire to lock-in customers? It wouldn't seem so. 

There's an overwhelming amount of evidence to back up the belief that Apple is practicing vendor lock-in beyond what's already been mentioned (exclusive iCloud services, missing bluetooth profiles that are implemented on OS X, and disabled functionality on the iPad) you also have the iOS developer license, the unnecessary dependency on iTunes, and I could go on and on with examples for which you can't even come up with a reasonable alternative explanation.

post #62 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

iTunes is a pretty bad example, as it is available on Windows.

Oh wow. That was my point.

 

Do you have any data on how many Windows users have become Mac users thanks to becoming familiar with a piece of Apple software? You don't. Nor do I. But I can give you plenty of personal anecdotes....

 

Your point is as speculative as mine.

post #63 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

I don't think Skype works consistently well across multiple device types.

You think, or you know?
post #64 of 67
This should be a feature apple need to promote more. Besides you can actually save your minutes if you running out of it. Best of all I found FaceTime is the coolest amongs all others from windows or droids. Hey let's FaceTime !
post #65 of 67
They're good ads, but they're no '1985'!

Shame really
post #66 of 67

Originally Posted by drdoc109 View Post

They're good ads, but they're no '1985'!
Shame really

 

1984. If you're going to concern troll, at least get it right.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #67 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

1984. If you're going to concern troll, at least get it right.

Ha, my bad!! 1984 indeed. iPhone typo from fat thumbs!

Wouldn't say I'm concern trolling tho, just adding my 2 cents. Not everyone that offers their opinion is trying to start an argument. 1smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's new 'FaceTime Every Day' ad continues powerful iPhone campaign