or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Comparison pics show Apple's slight changes in alleged 'iPhone 5S' front panel
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Comparison pics show Apple's slight changes in alleged 'iPhone 5S' front panel

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 
A new side-by-side comparison of iPhone 5 parts with components allegedly built for Apple's next-generation "iPhone 5S" show minor internal changes, the most significant of which is a longer ribbon cable attached to the front display.

iPhone 5S


The direct comparison of front panels was first published Fanatic Fone, once again suggesting that Apple's unannounced next-generation iPhone will sport largely the same look as the iPhone 5. That's why the rumored device has been dubbed an "iPhone 5S" by media and fans, who expect the handset will sport an essentially identical design to Apple's current flagship smartphone.

Aside from a longer and redesigned ribbon cable on the front panel, the rest of the part looks mostly the same, with a few internal changes in the form of moved screws and other minor tweaks. But on the outside, the part looks identical to the iPhone 5, with the FaceTime camera remaining directly above the handset's earpiece.

iPhone 5S


Screw placement around the "iPhone 5S" home button is also essentially unchanged. Rumors have repeatedly suggested that Apple plans to embed a fingerprint scanner inside the home button of its next iPhone, but so far none of the leaked parts have offered any evidence of significant hardware changes.

iPhone 5S


Apple is expected to hold an event at some point in September to unveil its new iPhone lineup for the fall of 2013 and beyond. In addition to a next-generation flagship "iPhone 5S," Apple is also expected to introduce a new low-cost iPhone with a plastic back and the same 4-inch display as the iPhone 5.

Apple's overseas supply chain partners are said to be in the process of gearing up to begin manufacturing the company's next handsets. It's expected that the "iPhone 5S" will include the usual annual upgrades, such as a faster processor and improved rear facing camera.
post #2 of 37
How in the world is stuff like this considered news?
post #3 of 37
1: These pictures comes from FanaticFone (letemsvetemapplem is well known for this kind of practices) : http://www.fanaticfone.com/hd-pics-of-the-new-iphone-5s-digitizer-and-lcd-screen-assembly/

2: This story was already covered in the past by Apple Insider : http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/18/high-resolution-images-claim-to-show-iphone-5s-iphone-5-display-assemblies-side-by-side
post #4 of 37
A low cost iPhone would pose a threat of the biggest kind to the rest of the mobile world.
post #5 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new side-by-side comparison of iPhone 5 parts with components allegedly built for Apple's next-generation "iPhone 5S" show minor internal changes, the least insignificant of which is a longer ribbon cable attached to the front display.

 

Fixed that for you.

post #6 of 37
My memory fails me. Does Apple typically separate the iPhone and iPad Fall reveals?
post #7 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

 

Fixed that for you.

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new side-by-side comparison of iPhone 5 parts with components allegedly built for Apple's next-generation "iPhone 5S" show minor internal changes, the most insignificant of which is a longer ribbon cable attached to the front display.

 

Fixed that for you

post #8 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Note View Post

My memory fails me. Does Apple typically separate the iPhone and iPad Fall reveals?

typically (first 3 years), yes, by several  months.

Last year... by about 30 minutes.

 

we can assume that Apple is now strictly on a consumer (sept/oct),  professional(May/June... to align with what appears to be a Aug/Sept OS release) calendar schedule, with  no corporate  (spring) release anymore.  Make sense.  Most corps want a to 'try' before they buy... so trying to align with spring budget releases is fruitless... as it would take 6 months to vet a new piece of hardware given the security/support/functionality concerns of most major corps now.

 

Or they are on their own 'we release it when it's ripe' schedule.

 

In any event, one can assume that in the consumer space... there will be major releases before the holiday shopping season.   Given the time lag from last years double release, one can assume the same this year... and with this rumor that the old 30pin connector phones and pads will not be sold anymore.

post #9 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new side-by-side comparison of iPhone 5 parts with components allegedly built for Apple's next-generation "iPhone 5S" show minor internal changes, the most insignificant of which is a longer ribbon cable attached to the front display.

 

Fixed that for you

A new side-by-side comparison of iPhone 5 parts with components allegedly built for Apple's next-generation "iPhone 5S" show minor internal changes, the least most significant of which is a longer ribbon cable attached to the front display.

 

How about that?

post #10 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How in the world is stuff like this considered news?

It means the new iPhone has over twice the display ribbon of the old one. Must-have upgrade.

The cable is near the rear camera and has been redesigned by rotating one plug out the way so it could be that they put in a bigger sensor, better optics. It could also mean they just felt like rotating the plug but it all adds to the mystery.

I'm expecting the same general design, faster graphics performance, better camera quality and the fingerprint sensor would be a cool addition for fast unlocking.
post #11 of 37
I am totally expecting Apple to just do the normal 5S upgrade this year... but I am hoping that these leaks are for the "iPhone 5C" since the parts are going to be very similar to the iPhone 5 and that Apple has something a little more impressive and secretive up it's sleeve for the next flagship iPhone.

I mean theoretically these part leaks could just be from someone claiming to have a part to a "new" iPhone - since there are going to be two new ones this year it could easily be confusing for these sources.
post #12 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Note View Post

My memory fails me. Does Apple typically separate the iPhone and iPad Fall reveals?

Yes, because the latter isn't normally a fall reveal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewoodat5th View Post

I am totally expecting Apple to just do the normal 5S upgrade this year… but I am hoping that these leaks are for the "iPhone 5C" since the parts are going to be very similar to the iPhone 5 and that Apple has something a little more impressive and secretive up it's sleeve for the next flagship iPhone.

Enough FUD, please. Go away.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #13 of 37
Already have a buyer for my 5, and he's ok to wait. So I am too. In which case; they don't even need a compelling feature for the 7th Gen, I just buy it. Maybe a 128GB version, if they release one.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #14 of 37

How in the world does what I said count as FUD? I am going to buy the next iPhone for my wife either way. I just think something cool would be cool (and I think the 5S will be cool anyway no matter what Apple puts into it). Anyway nothing that I said equates to "Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt". I don't see what is wrong with theorizing that these part leaks could be mislabeled by the leakers. Anyway I don't appreciate your negativity.

post #15 of 37

I wonder if the longer ribbon is in some way related to the AppleStore now offering on-site screen replacements.  Or maybe even user-serviceable!

post #16 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Enough FUD, please. Go away.

How can you call a man's wish FUD? There is nothing wrong with someone looking for a compelling new technology for the new iPhone coming from Apple.

 

Is this how we keep new members, by ridiculing them and telling them to go away for expressing their thoughts and opinions? 1oyvey.gif

You talkin' to me?
Reply
You talkin' to me?
Reply
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

A low cost iPhone would pose a threat of the biggest kind to the rest of the mobile world.

 

As well as to the iPhone itself, which is why Apple won't do it unless the feature set is so radically different, where the premium iPhone retains functionality that not only are people willing to pay for, but aren't willing to forgo by saving some money with this purported cheaper iPhone.

post #18 of 37

If the rumors of the changes to the 5S are true, I'll stick with my 4S. It's a phone. Not my life!

post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Yes, because the latter isn't normally a fall reveal.
Enough FUD, please. Go away.

Why don't you go away. That poster you called out made a very valid point. The premium iPhone will need to have some premium features to convince people to pay significantly more than the 5C version. It is very possible this leak was for the 5C and not 5S. Since you didn't bother getting the iPhone 3, 3GS, 4, 4S, or 5 I wonder what Apple would need to include to impress you enough to actually buy your own iPhone instead of ridiculing people here. 

post #20 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewoodat5th View Post

I am totally expecting Apple to just do the normal 5S upgrade this year... but I am hoping that these leaks are for the "iPhone 5C" since the parts are going to be very similar to the iPhone 5 and that Apple has something a little more impressive and secretive up it's sleeve for the next flagship iPhone.

I mean theoretically these part leaks could just be from someone claiming to have a part to a "new" iPhone - since there are going to be two new ones this year it could easily be confusing for these sources.

Good point. This leak doesn't really tell us too much in any event. I hope the flagship iPhone includes a lot more reasons to buy it over a plastic iPhone than just the fact that it is made out of aluminum. I hope it includes a much, much faster CPU/GPU, more ram, more storage, the fingerprint scanner would be nice as well. Every time I see an iPhone 5 it is behind a plastic case as is mine. Not sure what percentage use cases but I bet it is a very significant number.  Apple will need to clearly demarcate the lines to avoid cannibalization and give people a reason to choose the more expensive offering. 

post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


His implication that it will not IS TROLLING. 1eek.gif

Nope, try again. He said his expectations are that the 5S will be a normal evolutionary upgrade similar to the 4 and 4S. But he said he hoped Apple had more up their sleeve and were just better at secrecy and will surprise us. That is not trolling in the least. In fact I would think most readers here would agree with him and hope the 5S will offer more surprises than the rumors have indicated. I hope for a 4.8" screen but I certainly don't expect it this year.

post #22 of 37

The iPhone 5s is going to be awesome. I think we can expect many upgrades regarding the internal hardware. I just hope they sort out the scuff issues with a new type or superior aluminium coating.

post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


It's concern trolling, yes.
Given that I'm not wrong…

So where is he to agree with you that this is what he meant? Looks like a drive-by to me.

If course you're not wrong, although a few other members have told you otherwise.

 

Have you thought that maybe he, along with many other Apple device lovers, would like Apple to step-up the pace of their innovation? As much as I love Apple, I know they aren't perfect.....like you think they are. Plus, there's nothing wrong with someone, and I quote, "hoping" Apple come out with another killer iPhone feature to blow the competition out of the water.

You talkin' to me?
Reply
You talkin' to me?
Reply
post #24 of 37

I get your point, but the leak does confirm a new wave of Apple products coming, soon.

 

None to soon for me:  Mac Mini is smash up against its 250 GB storage.  Cracked my iPad2 screen the other day...now it is slowly losing pieces of cracked glass into my lap...remaining pieces held in place by a Moshi cover.  Sigh, have really loved it, but it is too heavy, too big.  Going for the mini iPad this time.

 

Finally, my iPhone 5 Bluetooth is having on again off again issues...so a new trade up program would suit me just fine.  So looks like Apple will vacuum about $2K from my wallet this Fall.

 

Maybe more if a new Apple TV comes out...love me some new electronics
 

post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


I figure that he, who did the research to get an iPhone already and who is deciding to go so far as to post on a forum about Apple products, would know a bit about the history of said product.
 

Hence the reason for his post. He is ***hoping*** that Apple will surprise us with "one more thing" about the new iPhone. History has proven to us that it sometimes happens. You know, like Facetime and the map app, which I think is fantastic compared to most everything else out there. Real, slo-mo video, perhaps?

 

After all, isn't that what AI is all about?.....discussing the possibilities?

You talkin' to me?
Reply
You talkin' to me?
Reply
post #26 of 37
No doubt the 5S will bed a great device, but the new fresh design of the 5C will wipe the floor with the 5S in terms of sales......2013 will be all about the 5C as it will still be an upgrade for most.
post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesv View Post

…the new fresh design of the 5C will wipe the floor with the 5S in terms of sales…

No, it won't. If it does, people are complete idiots. Why would year old hardware outsell new hardware?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #28 of 37

The new 5S will look like a premium phone and not just because of its aluminum case.

I expect the plastic 5C to contain:

 

The A5 processor from the 4S and iPod touch

A new, inexpensive camera component probably shared with the 2013 iPod touch

The 4" display from the 5 and iPod touch

 

It will be two generations behind on the CPU/GPU and have a lower end camera. Even so it will sell extremely well, just as the 4 and 4S have this past year. Not everyone needs the latest and greatest phone and many of those who think they do also demand something more than a 4" 640x1136 display.

post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


No, it won't. If it does, people are complete idiots. Why would year old hardware outsell new hardware?

 

For the same reason people buy cheaper Android phones instead of iPhones: price.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


No, it won't. If it does, people are complete idiots. Why would year old hardware outsell new hardware?

 

Price. Same reason why strong 4S sales surprised Tim Cook last quarter. If this "5C" device is being developed for the low(er) end market, then it may outsell the 5S in units, but not gross sales. Obviously there is strong demand for lower-cost iPhones....which seems to transcend the age of the hardware.

 

Maybe the "complete idiots" can only afford a low(er) end iPhone. That is, if these rumors of a low(er) end iPhone are true...

You talkin' to me?
Reply
You talkin' to me?
Reply
post #31 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

For the same reason people buy cheaper Android phones instead of iPhones: price.

But we've never seen this happen with iPhones themselves. Without being haughty about the brand, you have to hold the iPhone to a different standard. People buy iPhones like nothing else.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #32 of 37
5C will have an A6, it is an iteration of the iphone5 in a plastic case. It will have the same internals hence the "5" in 5C.....the 5S will not be that much better. 2014 will be the year of the premium iphone. I believe most consumers will go for the new look 5C over the old look 5S especially considering all the 5S will have is a better camera and possible fingerprint sensor. They'll both be snappy phones. The average consumer which is most will choose the 5C guarantee it!
post #33 of 37
Another key in all of this is the fact that the 5C will be running on the all new ios7, which will add some new features to the phone as well. The iphone6 or whatever it's gonna be called in 2014 will be the time to buy the premium phone again. 5S is just the stop gap to the 2014 iphone.
post #34 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesv View Post

Another key in all of this is the fact that the 5C will be running on the all new ios7, which will add some new features to the phone as well. The iphone6 or whatever it's gonna be called in 2014 will be the time to buy the premium phone again. 5S is just the stop gap to the 2014 iphone.

Unfortunately I think you are right. With Samsung stumbling with the S4 this would have been a great year to really shake things up and offer both an iPhone 5C along with a larger screened iPhone. The iPhone 5C will likely sell in larger volume than a mild refresh of the iPhone 5. Next year is probably when the iPhone I have been waiting for will get released. 

 

I wonder if Apple will continue to make the standard iPhone in 4" if they release a larger one next year. I am not sure the market is large enough for two 4" iPhone models along with a 5" one as well. 

post #35 of 37
That's a good question gwmac, I believe what they'll probably do is reduce the bezel in the 2014 iphone much like they are doing with ipad5, but with the screen going to 4.5-4.8 with IGZO technology. If I had to guess I'd say the C model would retain the 4" panel for 2014. The iphone is an iconic device and I firmly believe they'll never really radically change the look of it in terms of chassis size besides thinner if possible. People like the iphone for what it is now & I just cant see it changing a whole lot in the future other than using better, stronger & lighter materials. In 2014 I'd say look for a less bezelled iphone6 to make way for a 4.5-4.8" IGZO screen in the same size chassis.
post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How in the world is stuff like this considered news?

 

The connectors' alignments on the ribbon corroborate evidence from a prior leak about the internal redesign, including changes to the logic board.

post #37 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

 

The connectors' alignments on the ribbon corroborate evidence from a prior leak about the internal redesign, including changes to the logic board.

Ladies and gentlemen....Spock! lol.gif

You talkin' to me?
Reply
You talkin' to me?
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Comparison pics show Apple's slight changes in alleged 'iPhone 5S' front panel
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Comparison pics show Apple's slight changes in alleged 'iPhone 5S' front panel