or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung co-CEO pushes Tizen OS as more than a 'simple alternative for Android'

Samsung co-CEO pushes Tizen OS as more than a 'simple alternative for Android'

post #1 of 171
As Samsung looks to lessen its reliance on Google's Android platform, the company views its own custom Tizen operating system as a viable alternative that could power the company's future flagship smartphones.

Tizen
Tizen OS beta screenshot via Wikipedia.

Samsung co-CEO J.K. Shin was very bullish on the prospects for Tizen in an interview with CNet this week, calling the operating system more than a "simple alternative for Android." He believes that adopting Tizen will allow Samsung to offer customers "cross-convergence" between various products, including smartphones, PCs, cameras, and even outside industries such as cars, biotechnology or banks.

Prototype devices running Tizen were officially unveiled by Samsung in February at Mobile World Congress as an alternative for Apple's iOS and Google's Android. Currently, Samsung's flagship smartphones run the Android operating system.

Samsung's existing Android phones are customized with a layer of software and services placed over Google's mobile operating system. These changes help to differentiate Samsung smartphones from other Android phones on the market, but some users also feel the additional software hurts performance and is a downgrade from stock Android.

That's help to create an interest in Google's own Nexus devices, which run "vanilla" Android without any custom skins or extraneous applications. And more recently, Google has opted to begin installing stock Android on handsets made by its Motorola division, ditching the "Motoblur" skin the company had spearheaded before it was bought by Google.

Google is also pushing more aggressively into the hardware space with the launch of the Moto X customizable smartphones from Motorola. As Google begins to encroach on Samsung's lucrative smartphone hardware business, the South Korean firm may look to reduce its reliance on Google's Android, and adopt a mobile operating system like Tizen, which it has more control over.

When Samsung unveiled its new Galaxy S4 smartphone at a media event in March, the company made no mention of its partner Google, and made reference to the Android operating system just once. This despite the fact that Samsung is the largest manufacturer of Android devices in the world, and is the only Android handset maker currently turning a profit.

Samsung's potential Android alternative, Tizen, is part of the Linux Foundation, and is governed by a technical steering group composed of Samsung and Intel. It supports both ARM and x86 processors, and is designed for smartphones, tablets, in-vehicle navigation systems, television sets and more.
post #2 of 171
Tizen: The two birds with one stone for Apple!
post #3 of 171
Samsung , who do u think u are ? U think u can build up your own Eco system ? Yes , u can build but unprofitable piece of craps .
Edited by crazy_mac_lover - 8/6/13 at 7:20am
post #4 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_mac_lover View Post

Samsung , who do u think u are ? U think u can build up your own Eco system ?

Yes. Any problem?

post #5 of 171

The more ecosystems there is , the better it will be for Apple.

post #6 of 171
Looks like the icons were outsourced to Kim Jong-il's grandson. Maybe as a token peace gesture.
post #7 of 171

BE READY FOR THE PATENT FIGHT AGAINNNNN!!!!

post #8 of 171

Those round icons are waste of space.  You cant really show much info on Icon.  

post #9 of 171
You know what they say about copies of copies...
post #10 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Are there any icons that they can use without being criticized?
post #11 of 171
Great.

So now it looks even MORE like iOS.

When will Scamdung ever learn?
post #12 of 171

Just had a look at the Tizen UI overview at https://developer.tizen.org/documentation/ux-guide/ui-overview

Oh boy, is that UI hideous or what?

What it reminds me most of is the UI for the DOS office system 'SmartWare' from the late 1980s. And I hated SmartWare (because it was useless). In other words, the UI concept is about 25 years old.

I don't think Jonny Ive has got anything to worry about.

post #13 of 171

Android users already bitch about how long it takes for apps to be ported to Google Play (e.g. BBC iPlayer).  

I think this would be a colossally bad move on the part of Samsung, and I support it 100%.  lol.gif

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

post #14 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Well, they are the perfect shape for the clock icon.
post #15 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I think this would be a colossally bad move on the part of Samsung, and I support it 100%.  lol.gif

Absolutely. The more the Android/Other mobile eco-system is fragmented the better it is for the iOS ecosystem, which will keep on garnering all the app-development profits.

post #16 of 171
Do it Samsung, do it. Brouhahaha. This ought to be good for Google.
post #17 of 171
Nice Calculator icon colours.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #18 of 171
there is a typo in the lower left icon: it lacks an i.
post #19 of 171

And today's news .... Google sues Samsung for copying their Android codes! lol.gif

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

post #20 of 171
I'm trying to see an upside for it, I'm guessing it will be the only phone that will tell me that my Scamsung fridge door is ajar .... But I will pass thanks.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #21 of 171
Samsung:
Let's throw more crap at the wall to see what sticks.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #22 of 171
2014 is the year Google and Samsung go to war with each other. Their key interests and goals are in complete conflict

For Google, their relationship with their main distribution arm is going to breakdown. Likely via Samsung forking Android or a substantial re-balancing of the key business terms (e.g. rev share on search advertising). It is a matter of when. Poof - 50% of Google's mobile business is at risk

For Samsung, Google is aggressively entering the hardware space - Moto X, Nexus 7. In particular, the Nexus 7 ensures that all OEMs including Samsung have zero chance of ever making any material profits in the tablet space. Google's goal is $0 hardware. It is in complete conflict with its OEM partners

I'm going to enjoy this shi* show over the next 18 months. The net net is it will benefit Apple

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

post #23 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

Just had a look at the Tizen UI overview at https://developer.tizen.org/documentation/ux-guide/ui-overview

What it reminds me most of is the UI for the DOS office system 'SmartWare' from the late 1980s. And I hated SmartWare (because it was useless). In other words, the UI concept is about 25 years old.

Looks like Android to me.
post #24 of 171
Is Tizen going to run Android Apps? If not, then aren't they going to face an uphill battle with developers who don't want to port their applications to a new OS? Without the core apps, who is going to buy these phones?

I agree that the more ecosystems the better for Apple, and I would love to see Samsung dump Android, but it seems like the lack of apps would be a huge issue for them...
post #25 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

And today's news .... Google sues Samsung for copying their Android codes! lol.gif

Thats the funny part, when Amazon highjack Android to build its own ecosystem there was nothing Google can do about it because its open source. Amazon can even continu to update its OS using google own code.

This brings me to apps, do Android apps work on that Samsung OS?

post #26 of 171
Interesting - at least that screen shot makes it look like a less cluttered Samdroid phone. Seems like another company has announced and is shipping betas of a cleaner, lighter OS. Could it be... gasp ...iOS 7? What a coincidence.

I do appreciate the general palette choice for the colors as dork (or is that dark) is the new light. Gloomy.

Good luck fellas creating a new ecosystem to compete with the 2 big boys that count now. I have this nagging feeling that several companies can tell you how easy it is (of course without the heavy entrenchment by those two others so things may be a bit tougher) e.g., HPalm's webOS, Microsoft's old Sidekick Danger just turned out to be some inbred Kin, Sammy where is Bada? /s
post #27 of 171

Round icons are fundamentally flawed and highly inefficient in such a small UI.   That is what you get when you put Samsung and Intel together - out of the gate, a substantial, structural mistake  

post #28 of 171
post #29 of 171
I'm sure Samsung will sell their Galaxy lines with Android and Tizen back to back. As long as they can sell their hardware with android I doubt they would ever abandon the platform.
post #30 of 171

Buy Boxee because you can't make their own - check

Copy (steal) from iOS and Android then claim to be the best and most innovative - check

Never make or create anything on your own - check

post #31 of 171
If Samsung splits from Android, pack it up and call it a day.
post #32 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma7 View Post

Yes. Any problem?

Samsung building an Eco System. Lets see now Microsoft tried, with limited amount of success. Blackberry did with not much success, oh and all these companies have a history of building software systems, now think again. Yes ?

post #33 of 171
It's weird. If Google is taking some customers by using stock Android, rather than Samsung's weird version... Samsung is totally free to use stock android also. Instead, they're going to make an entirely new OS.
post #34 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung's potential Android alternative, Tizen, is part of the Linux Foundation, and is governed by a technical steering group composed of Samsung and Intel. It supports both ARM and x86 processors, and is designed for smartphones, tablets, in-vehicle navigation systems, television sets and more.

In a timely announcement today Intel says they're going after the education market themselves with two new tablet offerings designed specifically for schools. 7" and 10" display, atom-processors yada yada. Cheap and designed for bulk purchases, with education-centric accessories like temp probes and magnifying attachments included.

And as the other half of that Tizen group of course the OS they'll be running is. . .

Android?

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Intel-announces-two-Atom-based-Android-tablets-for-school-use_id46095
melior diabolus quem scies
post #35 of 171
Looks different, kinda nice. Gotta respect hand it to Samsung for coming up with this. But whatever happened to their other OS, Bada?

post #36 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

The UI can be improved over time. Like the black flat background could be replaced with dynamic effects like iOS 7's blured transparency.

The primary reason they are focusing on Tizen is to basically be able to do what Apple does today, with there controlled safe eco system. Samsung can only control all those factors by starting from scratch.

Edit : Oh yeah, they are unsure about what Google's direction can be with Android and the fact that Google being Samsungs competitor with the Moto X.

post #37 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

You know what they say about copies of copies…

Three rights make a left!

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #38 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Well, they are the perfect shape for the clock icon.

I like the music player... Reminds me of the 70's and 80's.

post #39 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Looks different, kinda nice. Gotta respect hand it to Samsung for coming up with this. But whatever happened to their other OS, Bada?

Sure that's not an Android screenshot? Looks like fonts match, notification bar, weather widget...?
post #40 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloman View Post

Are there any icons that they can use without being criticized?

+1

Lets face it, those particular round icons aren't great. But is iOS shipped with round, which I could see, would opinions be the same? Apple OSs already have lots of round...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Samsung co-CEO pushes Tizen OS as more than a 'simple alternative for Android'
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung co-CEO pushes Tizen OS as more than a 'simple alternative for Android'