or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung co-CEO pushes Tizen OS as more than a 'simple alternative for Android'

Samsung co-CEO pushes Tizen OS as more than a 'simple alternative for Android' - Page 3

post #81 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloman View Post

Are there any icons that they can use without being criticized?

Nope because it's a subjective thing.
post #82 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKings33 View Post

A little more information on what Tizen is composed of (dating back to Maemo in 2005):

800px-Mer_and_mobile_operating_systems.svg.png

Kind of dysfunctional if you think about it.
post #83 of 171
It looks like what IBM did a long time ago. They were nvolved with projects with Apple on the Taligent project, OS/2 with Microsoft, they bought out Metaphor systems and what they were doing is trying to figure out the future for an OS. What did they end up doing. Dumping OS2, canceling the Taligent project and eventually dumping Windows. Why? Couldn't figure out how to make any money.
post #84 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by aross99 View Post

Is Tizen going to run Android Apps?.

Probably at first. Then, over time, they'll drift apart and you'll have the same mess that you have in Android - only half the phones in use capable of running a recent version of the OS and apps. Tizen will simply compound the fragmentation mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

I like the music player... Reminds me of the 70's and 80's.

Except that a large fraction of the users and developers won't even know what a vinyl record is.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #85 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

Besides the Linux Kernel, Tizen's carrying over baggage code / utility from Maemo, Moblin, MeeGo, LiMo and Baba.

That's the problem! Tizen's slow as sh*t, watch it here in action if you want proof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7cPEQpxsNE

Beta or not, the very fundamentals of the OS seems blocky and unfinished.

A beta looking unfinished, how shocking!

Bada is a decent OS, I doubt Tizen will be a step backward.

post #86 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

PS tedious thing, to delete all the html stuff from your posts when quoting. Do you have the same issue when quoting someone else?

Try clearing your cache.  I saw the editor stuck sometimes on HTML for the past few days until I did so.  I think something changed.

There are two editors. TinyMCE which is the WYSIWYG style editor and the BBcode editor which is a more simplified mark up language.

If one person is using TinyMCE, which adds a bunch of redundant and useless HTML, is quoted by someone using BBcode then there will be inconsistencies because BBcode does not support HTML directly.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #87 of 171
The folks that should be really sacred are those up in Redmond. At any given time, Nokia may decide to take back their business and use code that they actually helped develop. The only thing holding them back is Elop being an MS guy at the helm. However, that captain of the ship may be looking at a possible mutiny if Nokia petitions their government to save them from sinking into the abyss.

Another thing to take away from Tizen: Unix/Linux based OS. MS and the NT Kernel is not looking well these days, especially because it's so bloated. I've stated before that MS missed their big opportunity to ditch their sucky kernel and go with a scalable UNIX/Linux variant back when dev'ing Longhorn. Their boneheadedness AKA "Bald Monkey Strategy" is gonna continue to bite them hard.

As much as everyone wants to hate on Google, I bet many of you don't know that there are a number of (very!) influential developers at Google that absolutely HATE what has become of Android... let alone trying to program for the nasty Bastard-OS. No joke. Rubin is gone, and there are whispers of dissent whether Google should continue to try and shoe-horn services into a "layered cake" software, rather than go straight to "pure Chrome".

Considering that Google isn't making anything on Android at all, MS taking a chunk of the pie for patents, and iOS supplying the majority of mobile-ad income... I think the days of "Google Android" are numbered.

iOS and Tizen will comprise the Mobile OS War of the future... with forked versions of Android, Win8, and the remains of BB10 scurrying all over the place like worker ants picking up crumbs. 1smoking.gif
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #88 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Looks different, kinda nice. Gotta respect hand it to Samsung for coming up with this. But whatever happened to their other OS, Bada?

If you ignore the rainbow wallpaper, and just look at the icons and time+weather widgets, how is it any different from their S-skinned Android UI?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #89 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

The folks that should be really sacred are those up in Redmond. At any given time, Nokia may decide to take back their business and use code that they actually helped develop. The only thing holding them back is Elop being an MS guy at the helm. However, that captain of the ship may be looking at a possible mutiny if Nokia petitions their government to save them from sinking into the abyss.

Microsoft has already paid Nokia $1 billion to abandon Symbian. There is no going back at this point. Microsoft is losing money on every Nokia phone. If anyone is going to back out it will be Microsoft. Then Nokia will have to pay a higher royalty to MS for Windows Phone OS. Maybe then the government will have to bail them out. Either way, if Windows Phone becomes successful, Nokia will be successful, but if not, Nokia is toast.

post #90 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Great.

So now it looks even MORE like iOS.

When will Scamdung ever learn?

No, it looks like MeegOS, which Titzen is.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #91 of 171

Not sure how this news fits in with all the reports that came out about a month ago claiming that Tizen was going to be scrapped/shelved by Samsung in favor of a Samsung fork of android....

post #92 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Android doesn't even run all Android apps seamlessly. 1smile.gif

Same could be said about iOS and will become more prominent once iOS 7 gets released.
post #93 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Motorola ditched Motoblur for stock Android? But but but Motorola is an independently operated company! /s

Motoblur sucked that's why.
post #94 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Nope because it's a subjective thing.

Subjective and biased are 2 different things.
post #95 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

It's weird. If Google is taking some customers by using stock Android, rather than Samsung's weird version... Samsung is totally free to use stock android also. Instead, they're going to make an entirely new OS.

Samsung was never about supporting Google's cause. For Samsung, Android was always a quick on-ramp to the iPhone era of smartphones.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #96 of 171

I think that even if Samsung decided they eventually wanted to switch completely to Tizen in the future this will be a very slow process while they continue to offer versions in both Android and Tizen. This could last for several years until they think they could fully make the switch. Maybe they will offer the Galaxy S5 in both Android and Tizen versions. Tizen will also need to be able to run Android apps at native or close to native speed for customers to even consider it. 

post #97 of 171

Liquid damage gate.

They'll never report it. That controversy is not Apple enough.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #98 of 171
Quote:

Another thing to take away from Tizen: Unix/Linux based OS. MS and the NT Kernel is not looking well these days, especially because it's so bloated. I've stated before that MS missed their big opportunity to ditch their sucky kernel and go with a scalable UNIX/Linux variant back when dev'ing Longhorn. Their boneheadedness AKA "Bald Monkey Strategy" is gonna continue to bite them hard.

As much as everyone wants to hate on Google, I bet many of you don't know that there are a number of (very!) influential developers at Google that absolutely HATE what has become of Android... let alone trying to program for the nasty Bastard-OS. No joke. Rubin is gone, and there are whispers of dissent whether Google should continue to try and shoe-horn services into a "layered cake" software, rather than go straight to "pure Chrome".

Considering that Google isn't making anything on Android at all, MS taking a chunk of the pie for patents, and iOS supplying the majority of mobile-ad income... I think the days of "Google Android" are numbered.

iOS and Tizen will comprise the Mobile OS War of the future... with forked versions of Android, Win8, and the remains of BB10 scurrying all over the place like worker ants picking up crumbs. 1smoking.gif

if Nokia can't get these Windows phones to sell, Microsnot may have to buy Nokia, dump their OEM phone licensing program and do it on their own and fail.

Tizen will probably fail, just like Bada didn't catch on.  Samsung is just confusing people, because they themselves are confused.

post #99 of 171
Quote:

if Nokia can't get these Windows phones to sell, Microsnot may have to buy Nokia, dump their OEM phone licensing program and do it on their own and fail.

Tizen will probably fail, just like Bada didn't catch on.  Samsung is just confusing people, because they themselves are confused.

If Nokia can't sell Win Phones that would mean that Win Phone is unsellable because Nokia's hardware is decent. Microsoft would have only one recourse, but it would not be to buy Nokia. They would license it free to all manufacturers to try to gain market share, just like Android. Then try to halo effect their way into an ecosystem. If Win Phone finally catches on as a free alternative to Android then Microsoft will stab the OEMs in the back and start making their own phones. But when considered in light of the less then stellar sales of their Surface tablets, I don't think anything Windows 8 has much cache among consumers, perhaps not even enterprise.

post #100 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If Nokia can't sell Win Phones that would mean that Win Phone is unsellable because Nokia's hardware is decent. Microsoft would have only one recourse, but it would not be to buy Nokia. They would license it free to all manufacturers to try to gain market share, just like Android. Then try to halo effect their way into an ecosystem. If Win Phone finally catches on as a free alternative to Android then Microsoft will stab the OEMs in the back and start making their own phones. But when considered in light of the less then stellar sales of their Surface tablets, I don't think anything Windows 8 has much cache among consumers, perhaps not even enterprise.

I think Windows 8, WIndows 8 phones, Surface RT appeals to the people that bought Zunes.  The hardcore Microsoft fans that just will buy anything Microsoft puts out regardless of how good it is.  It's too bad most companies force their users to only use Windows.  It would be interesting if EVERY company decided to give the users the choice of Windows boxes or OS X boxes and after 5 years, what the REAL market share would be.  I'm sure Apple would probably do about 35%.  At companies that do allow users to choose they can go upwards of 35% of the users using OS X.  That would be a HUGE leap in revenues for Apple and they probably couldn't keep up with demand of the hardware if they jumped from 7% to 35%. In the US they are at around 12 to 14% of what's being shipped and that number is 3x what it was 6 years ago from what Apple was shipping in the US.

post #101 of 171
Quote:

I think Windows 8, WIndows 8 phones, Surface RT appeals to the people that bought Zunes.  The hardcore Microsoft fans that just will buy anything Microsoft puts out regardless of how good it is.

There's hardcore Microsoft fans??1bugeye.gif
melior diabolus quem scies
post #102 of 171
Quote:

Motorola ditched Motoblur for stock Android? But but but Motorola is an independently operated company! /s

I don't think Motorola has gone to stock Android. Where did you hear that?
post #103 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

No, it looks like MeegOS, which Titzen is.

Ok, so Meego is an iOS knockoff. What's your point?
post #104 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

There's hardcore Microsoft fans??1bugeye.gif

Yeah, and they buy Surface RT and Pros because it has a KICKSTAND.     see..................  click.

post #105 of 171
Quote:

Really Tizen ? Is that what you think about the future of Tizen ?

I bet Google can take a second shot at it with Chrome and they'll do better :) How about Firefox OS or Ubuntu ? Those are viable alternatives aswell.

Is there a probability that Google will in the future keep Android only to itself, re-branding it Chrome and start making real income from .

post #106 of 171
Quote:

Yeah, and they buy Surface RT and Pros because it has a KICKSTAND.     see..................  click.

ooohhhh, gotcha. So based on Surface sales there's a couple thousand of them.1smoking.gif
post #107 of 171

I honestly think knowing the fox Samsung is they are just using the brand name "Tizen" as a cover up for Bada.

Since Bada failed to get any real attention, they say they scrapped Bada and are focusing on Tizen, while in reality Tizen is just some extra code put on top of Bada.

Its just Samsung's way to get another shot at the OS, by calling the same old stuff a different name.

When Tizen fails they'll say we are focusing on DiZen and say , "The next big thing is here".

Samsung BS as usual.

post #108 of 171

Maybe Samsung will create a unified solution on Tizen, whereby the phone can talk to there washing machines , dryer's , cooking range , fridge and get info from them and display em' on the phone.

Since they make all that stuff they can then say, we have truly made our ecosystem unified. " You can check if there's any old food in ur Samsung Fridge using your smart phone", and call it sHome.

post #109 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Those round icons are waste of space.  You cant really show much info on Icon.  

I actually like them.. they just need to make the screen round too. /s

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #110 of 171
Quote:

Liquid damage gate.

They'll never report it. That controversy is not Apple enough.

Apple is held to a higher standard.
post #111 of 171
Quote:

Kind of dysfunctional if you think about it.

then there is Tizen for the car (IVI) which is still based on MeeGo.

post #112 of 171

I hope android stays alive and in stock state. My son just got a galaxy S4 for his birthday and I've spent the last 30 minutes disabling (impossible to remove) a ton of pre-installed bloatware. t-mobile HDTV app (subscription required) Phone protection app (subscription required) 2 games, Poker and match Samsung Hub for shopping Samsung App store and a few other useless samsung apps When you first turn it on, there's a bunch of useless samsung apps running and they all have "SAMSUNG" text plastered over them. Unbelievable the amount of crap they bundle with this phone. There's about 8G available on a brand new 16GB phone.

post #113 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

I hope android stays alive and in stock state. My son just got a galaxy S4 for his birthday and I've spent the last 30 minutes disabling (impossible to remove) a ton of pre-installed bloatware. t-mobile HDTV app (subscription required) Phone protection app (subscription required) 2 games, Poker and match Samsung Hub for shopping Samsung App store and a few other useless samsung apps When you first turn it on, there's a bunch of useless samsung apps running and they all have "SAMSUNG" text plastered over them. Unbelievable the amount of crap they bundle with this phone. There's about 8G available on a brand new 16GB phone.

That's a sad thing to read, I actually think I feel what you're feeling.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #114 of 171
Quote:

Cant you flash the GS4 with stock version of Android ?

post #115 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

Cant you flash the GS4 with stock version of Android ?

If you root it. I'd rather not go down that route, it would have been easier to buy the pure android version from android store.

post #116 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

ooohhhh, gotcha. So based on Surface sales there's a couple thousand of them.1smoking.gif

Actually a couple of million.  Similar to the number of Nexus fans.  Nexus 4 sold 1 million units, Nexus 7 sold 7 million units, and the Nexus 10 sold (they won't post the amount since it's too small of a number).

post #117 of 171
Quote:

If you root it. I'd rather not go down that route, it would have been easier to buy the pure android version from android store.

Yes, you can buy an S4 with stock Android as well as an HTC one on the Google play store but at full price. 

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Samsung_Galaxy_S_4?id=samsung_galaxy_s4&hl=en

post #118 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Yes, you can buy an S4 with stock Android as well as an HTC one on the Google play store but at full price. 

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Samsung_Galaxy_S_4?id=samsung_galaxy_s4&hl=en

It's $50 more on Google Play. His was got at full price in t-mobile store for $600, using their $25/week for 2 years purchase plan. Personally I think the extra $50 would have been worth it, since the only one available on play store is 16GB/White, which is the model he wanted anyhow.

post #119 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloman View Post

Motoblur sucked that's why.

This is a true statement.

post #120 of 171
Quote:

Should have gotten the vanilla S4. I am surprised though that Samsung hasn't told Verizon to suck it with all their bloatware. Between a phones manufacturer and Verizon the amount of crap they stick on phones is astounding.

Verizon must realize that NO ONE uses a single crappy app they pre-install.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Samsung co-CEO pushes Tizen OS as more than a 'simple alternative for Android'
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung co-CEO pushes Tizen OS as more than a 'simple alternative for Android'