or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple Stores gain new Philips Hue Bloom & LightStrips lighting options
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple Stores gain new Philips Hue Bloom & LightStrips lighting options

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
Apple's online and retail stores will become the exclusive home of Philips' latest iPhone-connected Hue lights this week: the Bloom portable LED bulb and stick-able LightStrips, both of which do not require a standard light socket.

Hue


Both new additions to the Philips Hue family -- dubbed Friends of Hue -- will be available in Apple Stores starting on Thursday. The products will require the Hue starter kit, also available in Apple Stores, as well as resellers such as Amazon for $199.99.

When paired with the Hue bridge, the new products will offer users more dynamic multi-colored lighting options for their connected home. The existing bulbs and new accessories can be customized and programmed via the official Hue app for iPhone and iPad.

The new LivingColors Bloom is a compact fixture that can be placed on a flat surface such as the floor or a bookshelf. The Bloom then bounces light of any surface to illuminate the room.

Hue


And the new LightStrips from Philips come as a 6.6-foot LED strip that can be cut to size. With an adhesive backing, the LightStrips can be mounted where users see fit.

The products are compatible with the full Hue spectrum of colors already offered on the official bulbs. They also integrate with available geofencing and IFTTT features, allowing for customization such as automatically turning on the lights when a user arrives at home, or providing visual cues for data such as sports scores or e-mail.

While the Hue starter kit and individual $60 bulbs are available through Amazon, the new LivingColors Bloom and LightStrips will reportedly be exclusive to Apple's online and retail stores for this week's launch.
post #2 of 25
Hue is a total rip off and this technology isn't even seamless enough yet.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #3 of 25

Meh. The app gets a 1.5 star rating on the App Store.

 

I'll wait until they come out with a better quality app.

post #4 of 25
Color me blind, Philips ¡
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #5 of 25
Been using Hue for home theater lighting and it works very well. Integrates flawlessly with my Harmony remote which is even better. I may give these two a try in other parts of the house.
post #6 of 25
For a generation 1 product it isn't bad but the color reproduction is a bit weak, blues are washed out as the LEDs are designed for home lighting so you get an unprecedented control on your whites but the colors are a bit lacking.
post #7 of 25
Why would you want to change the color of the light?
post #8 of 25

Talk about a "first world problem."  If the prices were a LOT lower they might be popular with dorm dwellers, I suppose.

post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Mark View Post

Why would you want to change the color of the light?

It's called "mood lighting".  

post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

It's called "mood lighting".  

You'll have to excuse some members of the "high tech" society, they lack the experience of the benefits of mood lighting.

 

For some, the glow of an LED screen emanating from their electronic device.....is considered mood lighting. lol.gif

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

You'll have to excuse some members of the "high tech" society, they lack the experience of the benefits of mood lighting.

 

For some, the glow of an LED screen emanating from their electronic device.....is considered mood lighting. lol.gif

AHAHAHAHA.

 

Who knows? Maybe their right hands will look better under dim red.

post #12 of 25

If only they made these things smaller I would buy one (or three).  Right now they are only suitable for replacing bulbs in ceiling fixtures or giant lamps and even then half the time you can see the ugly thing.  They need to be more like drop in replacements for regular lightbulbs both visually, and wattage-wise.  

post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

If only they made these things smaller I would buy one (or three).  Right now they are only suitable for replacing bulbs in ceiling fixtures or giant lamps and even then half the time you can see the ugly thing.  They need to be more like drop in replacements for regular lightbulbs both visually, and wattage-wise.  

 

They use a standard lamp base.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Meh. The app gets a 1.5 star rating on the App Store.

 

I'll wait until they come out with a better quality app.

 

Yup. for now its a niche device. The odd LSD part etc. The problem with the controller /software it does not do some basic things the average user may like.. They did do an update recently to the app but I believe it still has issues... IMO.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #15 of 25
The post says 'do not require a standard light socket'. What does this mean? What type of non-standard socket do they need?
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

 

They use a standard lamp base.

 

Yes, but not a standard bulb.  It's only really suitable for pot lights and directional ceiling fixtures etc. Maybe the odd gigantic lamp as I said. 

 

Basically, for any light fixture where you can see the bulb or the light is omni-directional instead of just "coming out the end" it's a poor solution. 


Edited by Gazoobee - 8/6/13 at 10:19am
post #17 of 25

Who the "F" cares?

post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLomow View Post

The post says 'do not require a standard light socket'. What does this mean? What type of non-standard socket do they need?

It plugs into the wall, instead of screwing into a lamp base.

post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

You'll have to excuse some members of the "high tech" society, they lack the experience of the benefits of mood lighting.

For some, the glow of an LED screen emanating from their electronic device.....is considered mood lighting. lol.gif

You've have to excuse some members of the "high tech" society. They need custom lighting to get in the mood.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #20 of 25

While slick, I doubt Phillips has added enough to these light strips to account for the $270 upcharge.  These kits go for less than $20 on ebay with a remote included.

post #21 of 25

I love it!
Can't wait to buy some strips to go with my bulbs. :)

post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


You've have to excuse some members of the "high tech" society. They need custom lighting to get in the mood.

Sounds like someone who doesn't have money to buy a product they want.

post #23 of 25

The point of the kit, is the bridge and 3 bulbs.

And that reference on ebay, has half the lumens output, and further more with Philips Hue, you can set up timers for your lights to come on off when you are away.

You can also turn them on/off anywhere in the world from your phone, and you can setup geofencing so your lights come on when you get home, and off when you leave.

You can even setup command with ITTT.com that will flash your lights for given input commands.

The strips are just added for lighting mood.

 

People with money will buy them regardless.

 

I can't wait to get Kwikset KEVO as well. Home automation is fun.
 

post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunzilla View Post

The point of the kit, is the bridge and 3 bulbs.
And that reference on ebay, has half the lumens output, and further more with Philips Hue, you can set up timers for your lights to come on off when you are away.
You can also turn them on/off anywhere in the world from your phone, and you can setup geofencing so your lights come on when you get home, and off when you leave.
You can even setup command with ITTT.com that will flash your lights for given input commands.
The strips are just added for lighting mood.

People with money will buy them regardless.

I can't wait to get Kwikset KEVO as well. Home automation is fun.

 

There are other differences, as well. Cheap LEDs are junk. The rated lifetime is a joke. Quality LEDs are completely different.

You can buy an LED bulb for $5 or 6 if you search around, but it's absolutely nothing like the quality bulbs you can buy.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by massconn72 View Post

Who the "F" cares?

Obviously not you so why waste your time posting? Some of us are interested, you don't speak for everyone.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple Stores gain new Philips Hue Bloom & LightStrips lighting options