or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple seeds fifth beta of iOS 7 to developers with new Control Center options

Apple seeds fifth beta of iOS 7 to developers with new Control Center options

post #1 of 81
Apple on Tuesday provided its development community with the fifth pre-release beta of iOS 7 for iPhone and iPad, providing the latest bug fixes and improvements for testing, as well as a new setting that allows users to disable access to Control Center from within apps.

iOS 7 beta 5

iOS 7 beta 5 can now be downloaded via Software Update on developers' test devices, or via the iOS Dev Center online portal. As always, Apple advises that the software "should only be deployed on devices dedicated for iOS 7 beta software development."

Beta 5 adds tweaks to the native Settings application in iOS 7, including new colorful icons for individual features such as Airplane Mode, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and Cellular. A dedicated Control Center settings page also gives users the ability to disable access from within apps, or on the lock screen.

Settings

As noticed by Twitter user Kevin Klinkmuller, iOS 7 beta 5 also adds a new white install screen for users who have a white iPhone, while the screen is black when setting up a black Apple handset.

Bugs do reportedly remain in the fifth beta, as people familiar with the software indicated that password fields are not displayed in landscape mode for In-App Purchases or Game Center. Text entry still works, Apple has advised developers, but what is being typed cannot be seen.

Apple also informed developers that application downloads can become stuck in a "waiting" state in beta 5. Testers can work around this issue by rebooting their device once or twice.

Along with iOS 7, a new Apple TV software beta was also provided to developers on Tuesday.

The release of the software comes just over a week after Apple made iOS 7 beta 4 available. That fourth beta was expected to debut a week earlier, but is believed to have been delayed by a prolonged outage of the Dev Center website after it was breached by a hacker.

Prior to that delay, new builds of iOS 7 betas arrived every two weeks, on Mondays.

It's expected that iOS 7 will release to the public in September, when Apple is rumored to launch both a next-generation "iPhone 5S," as well as a new low-cost iPhone with a plastic back. Apple has simply said that the software will debut this fall.

For more on the extensive changes in iOS 7, including a new fresh look and numerous features, see AppleInsider's series entitled Inside iOS 7.
post #2 of 81
Man, I wish there was a website about _Mac_ rumors and _Mac_ news. With the time it's getting harder and harder to read stuff about the Mac. And the culprit isn't Apple, because Apple is working hard finishing the new Mac Pro and Mavericks, and other Haswell updates. The culprit is the iToy fanbase. Tough times for Mac users.
post #3 of 81
Can you imagine Samsung developing and releasing their own OS like this?

Me neither

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

post #4 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecs View Post

Man, I wish there was a website about _Mac_ rumors and _Mac_ news. With the time it's getting harder and harder to read stuff about the Mac. And the culprit isn't Apple, because Apple is working hard finishing the new Mac Pro and Mavericks, and other Haswell updates. The culprit is the iToy fanbase. Tough times for Mac users.

Or just don't pay attention to those stories.

How is this difficult? 1rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #5 of 81
Quote:

You're blaming the "iToy fanbase" for there not being any rumors about the Mac? What?? 1confused.gif1bugeye.gif
post #6 of 81
Safari seems snappier.
post #7 of 81
Safari does NOT seem faster than in iOS 6 :'-(
post #8 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:

Similar to some posters, like me, we can all ignore some articles as well. Not too difficult, no.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #9 of 81
New settings icons. Screenshot via 9to5Mac

screen-shot-2013-08-06-at-10-28-37-am.png
post #10 of 81
Quote:

I think, what he means is: there are virtually no more stories about the Mac. So ignoring iDevice/OS stories would mean, ignoring AI almost entirely – and I agree. It would be nice to have more (in depth) stories about the Mac and Mavericks.
post #11 of 81

Try http://www.macsurfer.com  

These guys have a Mac based tip almost every day:  http://www.macworld.com

This one is almost too nerdy:  http://www.macintouch.com

post #12 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Wow! That is quite some change!
post #13 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by logic368 View Post

debug mode testing tends to do that.

post #14 of 81
Quote:

screen-shot-2013-08-06-at-10-28-37-am.png

I hated iOS 7 when it was unveiled...but this...this looks great!
post #15 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

I like this change. There is a lot of white in iOS 7 so adding a bit of color is a good thing IMO. I think iOS 7 will work really well with the rumored new colored iPhones.
post #16 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by logic368 View Post

I ran all the 4 major browser benchmarks in iOS 7 Beta 3 and Safari was faster in iOS 7 than in iOS 6. Here are the numbers I got.

Notes: Sunspider and Kraken lower is better, Browsermark and Octane higher is better.

Sunspider 1.0: 735ms (was around 830ms), GS4 is 920ms (all GS4 numbers from Anandtech, fastest GS4 version picked)

Browsermark 2.0: 2,740 (was around 2,640), GS4 is 2,771.

Mozilla Kraken: 14,000 (was around 20,000), GS4 is 9,800.

Google Octane: 2,800 (was around 1,750), GS4 is 2999.

So the iPhone 5 with iOS 7 Beta 3 posts some very impressive results and significant gains over iOS 6 (especially in Kraken and Octane).

The GS4 is kind of embarrasing considering it has double the cores and a higher clock speed than the iPhone 5. This is what you get when you control hardware/software.

post #17 of 81
Quote:

Quote:

I don't think they had much of a choice because all the third party icons that show up in settings are going to have rounded rectangles so in order for them to match Apple needed to create theirs with a similar design. Otherwise, it would appear inconsistent. Personally, I like the monotone color scheme of the previous build, but I can see why they changed it back to the filled icons.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #18 of 81
Quote:

I like this change. There is a lot of white in iOS 7 so adding a bit of color is a good thing IMO. I think iOS 7 will work really well with the rumored new colored iPhones.

Did you notice that during the keynote iOS7 never was a black iPhone shown? Same as with Apple's website showcasing iOS7's homepage.

It mustn't look very good on a black phone otherwise why wouldn't it have been shown? 

I agree that it will look awesome with the much rumoured candied iPhones.

Where's the new Apple TV?

post #19 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

You're blaming the "iToy fanbase" for there not being any rumors about the Mac? What?? 1confused.gif1bugeye.gif

Quote:

Does anyone know, what is an iToy?
post #20 of 81
Quote:

I dunno.  

I heard that most people who only focus on _Mac_ news and who aren't interested in the new modern platform are a bunch of assholes who use insulting terms like "iToy" to describe the objects of their constant scorn.  

post #21 of 81

"Kevin Klinkmuller's" Apple dev account is going to be canceled. He clearly violated Apple's rules.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #22 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

post #23 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Quote:

Yes! An iToy is a derisive term used by a few self-important techno-elites to display their ignorance (like fawning over "The Emperor's New Clothes")...

It refers to an Apple mobile/portable [really] personal computer which, when compared to the best PCs of not too many years many ago, is much more powerful at a fraction of the cost... not to mention vastly increased reliability, usability, accessibility...

There have been quite a few articles on AI about the new Mac Pro, OSX Mavericks -- quite a lot when you consider the NDAs involved.

I expected that Mavericks DP 5 would drop yesterday -- and am a bit disappointed.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #24 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

They don't really care about people talking about the beta, have you seen any attempt to close down websites? Compare to the iPhone 4
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #25 of 81
Quote:

I think, what he means is: there are virtually no more stories about the Mac. So ignoring iDevice/OS stories would mean, ignoring AI almost entirely – and I agree. It would be nice to have more (in depth) stories about the Mac and Mavericks.

There's not much new happening on the Mac software front though is there?  And all new hardware and software is dutifully reported, reviewed and talked about until there is nothing left to say.  

So really, there is nothing to complain about and the news that's printed, being weighted towards what's happening and what's new is always going to be about iOS as a result.  

It's not AI's fault that the computing landscape has changed. 

post #26 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Quote:

I dunno.  
I heard that most people who only focus on _Mac_ news and who aren't interested in the new modern platform are a bunch of assholes who use insulting terms like "iToy" to describe the objects of their constant scorn.  

Nailed it!

post #27 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

They don't really care about people talking about the beta, have you seen any attempt to close down websites? Compare to the iPhone 4

They can't "close down websites", they can cancel dev accounts and ban them from participating in Apple events under any Apple dev capacity. Personally, I'd like to see more open discussion and feedback. Openness (at least in terms of the fine points of development) is a good thing.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #28 of 81

I just want to know if that ridiculously annoying "YOU'RE IN AIRPLANE MODE!!!!" modal pop-up is finally gone. 

Seriously, it's the worst.

post #29 of 81

Of all the Apple products, I am looking forward to the release of IOS 7 the most. So far it looks as if it will enhance the user experience in a big way. Although a lot of people complain about the design choices of some of the icons, I for one think it is going to be a beautiful interface to work with everyday.

post #30 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

They can't "close down websites", they can cancel dev accounts and ban them from participating in Apple events under any Apple dev capacity. Personally, I'd like to see more open discussion and feedback. Openness (at least in terms of the fine points of development) is a good thing.

yeah they can. Or try

http://www.quillandquire.com/blog/index.php/book-news/apple-sends-cease-and-desist-letter-to-gawker-over-scavenger-hunt/

Everybody knows about iOS 7. Apple demoed it. There are 100's of blogs about it. they don't really care.
post #31 of 81

The use of colors to highlight clusters of related function is excellent, brilliant evolution of the design language. If the rest of the updates are as functional and aesthetically pleasing, this is going to be a great release from a UI perspective.

42 = 54 base 13
42 = 54 base 13
post #32 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorGonzo View Post

I just want to know if that ridiculously annoying "YOU'RE IN AIRPLANE MODE!!!!" modal pop-up is finally gone. 

There is no dialog when you switch in or out of Airplane Mode! I don't use Airplane Mode, so I am not aware of any normal operations which might display a dialog.

post #33 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Did you notice that during the keynote iOS7 never was a black iPhone shown? Same as with Apple's website showcasing iOS7's homepage.

It mustn't look very good on a black phone otherwise why wouldn't it have been shown? 

I agree that it will look awesome with the much rumoured candied iPhones.

I think it was because a white iPhone 5 is more "photogenic" than a black one. It's (nicely) small to begin with, so a totally black case would look relatively featureless on video. The silver gleams and contrasts will with the white glass.

I bought one of the first silver Mazda Miatas in 1990 for the same reason: it gleamed very nicely and was a unique color for a car at the time.

Daniel Swanson

Daniel Swanson

post #34 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorGonzo View Post

There is no dialog when you switch in or out of Airplane Mode! I don't use Airplane Mode, so I am not aware of any normal operations which might display a dialog.

I use it all the time, on my iPad. Somehow it's easier to do that, making it connect to WiFi only than to disable roaming cellular access, when I'm travelling through Europe, going from country to country in a single day.

Oh, no pop-up I've seen
post #35 of 81
Quote:

There is a dialog when the user tries to do Internet stuff while in airplane mode. Still there.
post #36 of 81
Quote:

Or it could be that Apple has pretty much dropped a beta update every Tuesday since WWDC with fixes and features each. What, two updates since the Maverricks release? And I don't know anyone with hands on the Mac Pro, do you?

When there is news or rumors I usually find it here as original material or copied from other rumor sites.
post #37 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Bugs do reportedly remain in the fifth beta [...]

you don't say? bugs? in beta software? stop the presses! i want my money back. either that, or an in-depth ded analysis breaking feature article report of said bugs, to be published on, say, this saturday.

writings such as yours confirm that the muppets running this site truly are clueless. and i mean that in the nicest possible way.
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #38 of 81
Quote:

In Airplane Mode, if you use an app that tries to access the internet, a modal dialog pops-up to remind you that you're in Airplane Mode. 

Lock the screen, then switch to those the apps again? You get the dialog again. Every single time. 

It's insufferable. Yes, I know I'm in Airplane Mode

post #39 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

I have the African-American iPhone and, let me tell you, iOS7 looks a treat on it.
Apple managed the astonishing feat of getting the equivalent of a personal computer into the hands of everybody from eight to eighty year olds, and did so while providing absolutely no instructions...
Apple managed the astonishing feat of getting the equivalent of a personal computer into the hands of everybody from eight to eighty year olds, and did so while providing absolutely no instructions...
post #40 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

yeah they can. Or try

http://www.quillandquire.com/blog/index.php/book-news/apple-sends-cease-and-desist-letter-to-gawker-over-scavenger-hunt/

Everybody knows about iOS 7. Apple demoed it. There are 100's of blogs about it. they don't really care.

Evidently you are blissfully unaware of the real-world restrictions placed on developers.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple seeds fifth beta of iOS 7 to developers with new Control Center options
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple seeds fifth beta of iOS 7 to developers with new Control Center options