or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 5s talk and surf and rf360 chip

iPhone 5s talk and surf and rf360 chip

post #1 of 3
I am a non techie, but I have two very simple questions. Here goes:
1. Would the Qualcomm rf360 allow the next iphone to talk and surf on Verizon; and
2. will the chip be included in the new device?

I have read many articles, forums, etc..on this functionality and chip. None of the items I have read indicate that the chip will allow talk and surf to occur.

I am a long time Verizon customer that must have talk and surf. It is the only reason that I do not have an iphone.

I look forward to responses. Thanks
post #2 of 3
1. If that's what it can do. If you're reading nothing about that, then why would you think it could? What needs to be present for that to happen with CDMA+LTE, anyway?
2. We can't possibly know.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb771 View Post

I am a non techie, but I have two very simple questions. Here goes:
1. Would the Qualcomm rf360 allow the next iphone to talk and surf on Verizon; and
2. will the chip be included in the new device?

2. Don't know, but could.  Phones using it are due second half of 2013.

1. Would help space-wise, but it depends on if Apple adds another antenna.

• To use both LTE and CDMA (SVLTE) at the same time, or to transmit on two CDMA lines (SVDO), it requires two transmit antennas.
  • Phones such as the Galaxy have two transmit antennas, and thus are able to do SVDO and/or SVLTE.
  • The iPhone 5 apparently only has one transmit antenna.  This means it cannot do SVDO or SVLTE. 

(Having only one antenna doesn't affect the GSM side, because when you start a voice call, it drops your LTE session and falls back to UMTS-3G to allow simultaneous voice + data.  When you finish talking, it reverts to LTE again.)

Edited by KDarling - 8/7/13 at 5:12am
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 5s talk and surf and rf360 chip