Originally Posted by rcb771
I am a non techie, but I have two very simple questions. Here goes:
1. Would the Qualcomm rf360 allow the next iphone to talk and surf on Verizon; and
2. will the chip be included in the new device?
2. Don't know, but could. Phones using it are due second half of 2013.
1. Would help space-wise, but it depends on if Apple adds another antenna.
- To use both LTE and CDMA (SVLTE) at the same time, or to transmit on two CDMA lines (SVDO), it requires two transmit antennas.
- Phones such as the Galaxy have two transmit antennas, and thus are able to do SVDO and/or SVLTE.
- The iPhone 5 apparently only has one transmit antenna. This means it cannot do SVDO or SVLTE.
(Having only one antenna doesn't affect the GSM side, because when you start a voice call, it drops your LTE session and falls back to UMTS-3G to allow simultaneous voice + data. When you finish talking, it reverts to LTE again.)
Edited by KDarling - 8/7/13 at 5:12am