or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple relying more heavily on Samsung for iPad displays, report says
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple relying more heavily on Samsung for iPad displays, report says

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
While Apple is making moves to distance itself from rival Samsung, one report says the Korean company is actually gaining ground on iPad LCD supplier LG Display, a trend that may continue with the expected next-generation iPad mini.

iPad mini


According to new data from market research firm NPD DisplaySearch, Samsung shipped more 9.7-inch panels bound for the fourth-generation iPad than did LG in April and June, reports CNET.

Instead of drawing down on orders and diversifying to other display makers, Apple reportedly increased Samsung panel purchases from the first quarter of 2013. The analysts said approximately 2.3 million units were shipped from Samsung during the March quarter, and grew to over 4.1 million units for the three months ending in June. That equates to a roughly 80 percent increase in shipments.

Further, Samsung is said to be a major LCD supplier for the as-yet-unannounced iPad mini follow up. Until now, LG has been responsible for a bulk of these orders. The DisplaySearch estimates line up with a rumor from June that claimed Samsung would supply 7.9-inch Retina displays for the so-called "iPad mini 2."

The report did not mention a possible screen resolution for the next-gen mini, though The Wall Street Journal recently heard from "inside sources" that Apple will release a Retina version of the tablet with Samsung-sourced panels in the fourth quarter.

Finally, the firm expects LG Display and Japan Display to account for at least part of the panel supply shipped for a Retina display mini, citing an "industry official" who said Apple is having possible yield issues with other partner suppliers like Sharp and AU Optronics.
post #2 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While Apple is making moves to distance itself from rival Samsung, one report says the Korean company is actually gaining ground on iPad LCD supplier LG Display, a trend that may continue with the expected next-generation iPad mini...

 

...and that division of Samesung supplying those panels will be:

 

(1) Very pleased to have the business, especially from such a popular manufacturer as Apple.

(2) Very dark toward those divisions within Samesung who might imperil the display business.

(3) Doing their best technologically to ensure that Apple remains interested.

(4) Etc., etc.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #3 of 24
It would be silly of me to buy the current ipad mini right now, wouldn't it? I can get it for 20% off, but I am thinking I should wait to see if retina is available.
post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

It would be silly of me to buy the current ipad mini right now, wouldn't it? I can get it for 20% off, but I am thinking I should wait to see if retina is available.

"There won't be a Retina Mini until next year"


Edited by PhilBoogie - 8/7/13 at 8:13am
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #5 of 24
Somebody told Samsung, hey you wanna make more $$ copying Apple's design and using our Android codes for free or sell millions if not billions of $$ selling components to Apple for the rest of your life?

Imagine how much more $$ they could make from Apple and how much $$ they could avoid paying for legal fees if they were not this stupid.

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

Reply

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

Reply
post #6 of 24
Can anyone find this report from NPD DisplaySearch? I smell something fishy here....googling after this company i found hat they "reported" only bad news for apple and considering that a former top level exec that worked for 7 years at Samsung is now a top level manager at NPD....

http://www.displaysearch.com/cps/rde/xchg/displaysearch/hs.xsl/management_team.asp
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiD View Post

Can anyone find this report from NPD DisplaySearch? I smell something fishy here....googling after this company i found hat they "reported" only bad news for apple and considering that a former top level exec that worked for 7 years at Samsung is now a top level manager at NPD....

http://www.displaysearch.com/cps/rde/xchg/displaysearch/hs.xsl/management_team.asp

This is the home page for NPD. DisplaySearch is a segment within that.
https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/us/home/

EDIT: Doesn't look like all bad news to me.
http://www.displaysearch.com/cps/rde/xchg/displaysearch/hs.xsl/search_results.asp
Type Apple in the search box
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #8 of 24

Sansumg, the only ones in the world capable of making panels...   pathetic.

post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

Somebody told Samsung, hey you wanna make more $$ copying Apple's design and using our Android codes for free or sell millions if not billions of $$ selling components to Apple for the rest of your life?

Imagine how much more $$ they could make from Apple and how much $$ they could avoid paying for legal fees if they were not this stupid.

 

They make comparable money selling their own phones partnered with Google as Apple makes selling phones.  If they instead chose to be one of many Apple suppliers, they would always make a small fraction of Apples income tops.  If you're saying that they should pick one or the other... themselves/Google or Apple... and then further saying they should pick being an Apple supplier over the former...  I don't think I agree with your last statement that they are the ones that are stupid.

 

Sounds to me like they are going about it the right way.  With all the inroads they are making on almost all fronts I would only be half surprised if they instead cut all ties with Apple rather than taking on more contracts.  They already know Apple is only using them because they have to, and will ditch them in a heartbeat if anyone else could deliver.  If they cut all ties Apple would be unable to meet demand, and almost certainly have to deliver reduced quality displays to boot.  Apple has a ton of money and could try to build its own plants, but in the 2-3 years that takes Samsung would just be walloping them in actually being able to deliver phones while Apple makes more headlines of having a supply chain that can't deliver.

 

Apple would again be in the situation of people wanting their phones, but having limited supply.  Much as 'sold out' makes for great headlines, financials hate it because you don't make money by people wanting your product- you make it by people buying it.  In the end Samsung probably figures yeah, it is aiding their enemy, but it is taking money from the enemy (which counts double) and it lets them keep an eye on Apple.

post #10 of 24

Quote:

 

Quote:

They make comparable money selling their own phones partnered with Google as Apple makes selling phones.  If they instead chose to be one of many Apple suppliers, they would always make a small fraction of Apples income tops.  If you're saying that they should pick one or the other... themselves/Google or Apple... and then further saying they should pick being an Apple supplier over the former...  I don't think I agree with your last statement that they are the ones that are stupid.

 

Sounds to me like they are going about it the right way.  With all the inroads they are making on almost all fronts I would only be half surprised if they instead cut all ties with Apple rather than taking on more contracts.  They already know Apple is only using them because they have to, and will ditch them in a heartbeat if anyone else could deliver.  If they cut all ties Apple would be unable to meet demand, and almost certainly have to deliver reduced quality displays to boot.  Apple has a ton of money and could try to build its own plants, but in the 2-3 years that takes Samsung would just be walloping them in actually being able to deliver phones while Apple makes more headlines of having a supply chain that can't deliver.

 

Apple would again be in the situation of people wanting their phones, but having limited supply.  Much as 'sold out' makes for great headlines, financials hate it because you don't make money by people wanting your product- you make it by people buying it.  In the end Samsung probably figures yeah, it is aiding their enemy, but it is taking money from the enemy (which counts double) and it lets them keep an eye on Apple.

 

 

Dear God MAN! Don't make a reasonable, thought out comment about Samsung on Apple Insider. You'll be lynched!!!
 

post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

They make comparable money selling their own phones partnered with Google as Apple makes selling phones.  If they instead chose to be one of many Apple suppliers, they would always make a small fraction of Apples income tops.  If you're saying that they should pick one or the other... themselves/Google or Apple... and then further saying they should pick being an Apple supplier over the former...  I don't think I agree with your last statement that they are the ones that are stupid.

Sounds to me like they are going about it the right way.  With all the inroads they are making on almost all fronts I would only be half surprised if they instead cut all ties with Apple rather than taking on more contracts.  They already know Apple is only using them because they have to, and will ditch them in a heartbeat if anyone else could deliver.  If they cut all ties Apple would be unable to meet demand, and almost certainly have to deliver reduced quality displays to boot.  Apple has a ton of money and could try to build its own plants, but in the 2-3 years that takes Samsung would just be walloping them in actually being able to deliver phones while Apple makes more headlines of having a supply chain that can't deliver.

Apple would again be in the situation of people wanting their phones, but having limited supply.  Much as 'sold out' makes for great headlines, financials hate it because you don't make money by people wanting your product- you make it by people buying it.  In the end Samsung probably figures yeah, it is aiding their enemy, but it is taking money from the enemy (which counts double) and it lets them keep an eye on Apple.
Stupid post of the day goes to you.

Samsung should ditch Apple? You do realize there are contracts in place that would prevent this sort of childish behavior, right? And what about other companies buying from Samsung? If they see Samsung making stupid decisions like dropping Apple then why would they trust Samsung to supply any components for their needs?

Finally, Samsung has no other choice but to sell to Apple. If they lost Apple there's no way they could fill the void with new customers. Who else sells 200 million high-end smartphones and tablets every year? LG, HTC, Motorola and ZTE combined couldn't place enough orders to replace Apple (and many are already using Samsung for parts so it's not like they are "new" customers).

Bottom line, if something happened where Apple no longer used Samsung then Samsung would suffer.
post #12 of 24
(Sips coffee)... Yaaaaaawn...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Samsung should ditch Apple? You do realize there are contracts in place that would prevent this sort of childish behavior, right? And what about other companies buying from Samsung? If they see Samsung making stupid decisions like dropping Apple then why would they trust Samsung to supply any components for their needs? Finally, Samsung has no other choice but to sell to Apple. If they lost Apple there's no way they could fill the void with new customers. Who else sells 200 million high-end smartphones and tablets every year? LG, HTC, Motorola and ZTE combined couldn't place enough orders to replace Apple (and many are already using Samsung for parts so it's not like they are "new" customers).

Bottom line, if something happened where Apple no longer used Samsung then Samsung would suffer.

I'm all for Samsung doing this, actually. Between the lost contracts with everyone else and the damages in the lawsuit with Apple for breaking their contract, Samsung would be bankrupt.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #14 of 24

Wow, you guys actually believe most of the things you type here.... you think Samsung needs Apple more than Apple needs Samsung.  What is your basis for that statement?  They both need each other, its a freaking business!  Its a mutual beneficial relationship.  Why does Apple keep acting like they are switching suppliers, but can't move away from Samsung?  It's because they make the best components... nobody else comes close.  The smart thing about vertical integration... as Samsung makes more and more phones, they can cater to themselves more eventually.  You do not want Samsung to stop supplying parts to Apple... they would have a REALLY hard time replacing all those quality screens and memory chips. 

post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightryda12 View Post

Wow, you guys actually believe most of the things you type here…. you think Samsung needs Apple more than Apple needs Samsung.

Huh. It's almost as though we have a reason for doing it, isn't it?
Quote:
Besides your fanboy logic, what is your basis for that statement?

Yeah, you don't say that here. We tend not to care what you say afterward.
Quote:
They both need each other, its a freaking business!  Its a mutual beneficial relationship.

And yet, again, Samsung needs Apple's contract more than Apple needs to keep contracting with Samsung.
Quote:
Why does Apple keep acting like they are switching suppliers, but can't move away from Samsung?

Because they are switching suppliers.
Quote:
It's because they make the best components… nobody else comes close.

Eh…
Quote:
You do not want Samsung to stop supplying parts to Apple… they would have a REALLY hard time replacing all those quality screens and memory chips. 

Not really.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #16 of 24

Thanks for your valuable insight in refuting my statements... what proof of dependence have you provided?

post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightryda12 View Post

Thanks for your valuable insight in refuting my statements... what proof of dependence have you provided?  

Shut up and go away. You don't want to read what we write, you don't get to respond to it.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #18 of 24

Lol again... who are we?  I'm just referring to you.  You have no intelligent response to anything I post.... I was trying to have a reasonable debate on a message board with adults
 

post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightryda12 View Post

I'm just referring to you.

That must be why you made it plural, huh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightryda12 View Post

…you guys…
Quote:
You have no intelligent response to anything I post…

The answer fits the question. You're lying to begin with.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #20 of 24

Awesome contribution again... I was referring to my response to you, not my original post.   Again what have you bought to the conversation?   I'm done with you..
 

post #21 of 24
IGZO. Sooner or later, someone posts IGZO.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

IGZO. Sooner or later, someone posts IGZO.

Looks like someone just did. I certainly wasn't going to. Something about pearls before swine . . .
post #23 of 24
One supplier is best. I hate that roulette wheel of 'unknown supplier'..
post #24 of 24

If Samsung makes screens that meet Apple's expectations and is the only company that can deliver them in adequate and timely quantity, then I wouldn't want Apple to use a different company. Screens are a scale business, like memory or CPUs; the biggest companies tend to have the best yields, prices, and delivery.

 

But I'm sure Apple's always exploring all its options. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple relying more heavily on Samsung for iPad displays, report says
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple relying more heavily on Samsung for iPad displays, report says