or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Samsung seeks 'Galaxy Gear' smart watch trademark as wearable tech market heats up

Samsung seeks 'Galaxy Gear' smart watch trademark as wearable tech market heats up

post #1 of 46
Samsung's forthcoming smart watch accessory may be dubbed the "Galaxy Gear," based on new trademark filings by the company in its home country of South Korea, as well as in the U.S.

Samsung SPH-WP10
The Samsung SPH-WP10 launched in 1999.

The trademark applications apply to an Internet-connected smart watch, the Associated Press revealed on Wednesday. One application for the "Samsung Galaxy Gear" was made with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on July 29, while another was filed a month earlier for the "Samsung Gear" in South Korea.

The design of Samsung's forthcoming product is unknown, but the USPTO application did describe the device as a wristwatch, wrist band, or bangle. It also said the device will be capable of connecting to the Internet, making phone calls, and checking e-mail and text messages.

Samsung's trademark applications come after Apple has already filed for its own "iWatch" trademarks in Japan, Mexico, Taiwan, and elsewhere around the globe. Despite those filings, Apple is not expected to introduce its own smart watch accessory until late 2014, with a focus on biometrics data such as heart rate monitoring.

Samsung already revealed in March that it was readying its own smart watch accessory, though the company failed to reveal details about the device. The new device would actually be Samsung's third stab at creating a wrist-worn device, with two previous devices representing full-fledged phones worn on the wrist. The SPH-WP10 was released in 1999, while the S9110 Watch Phone debuted in 2009.

Samsung S9110 Watch Phone
The Samsung S9110 Watch Phone launched in 2009, a decade after its predecessor.

The name Galaxy suggests Samsung's forthcoming watch will fit in with the company's family of mobile devices that run Google's Android operating system. They include the flagship Galaxy S4 smartphone, Galaxy Tab line of tablets, and a range of other devices.

With Apple rumored to be working on a smart watch and Samsung also planning a future device, a number of other tech companies are also betting on a big future in wearable electronics. Products from Microsoft, Google, Samsung, and LG are said to be in the works, in addition to Sony's recently announced Sony SmartWatch 2, and currently-available options like the Pebble, MetaWatch, and I'm Watch.
post #2 of 46

Why dont they all it nebulae or Galaxy Tiny?  That will fit into their Galaxy series more awesomely.

post #3 of 46

I know it's not the case, but it would by hysterical if all of these companies rushing to get smartwatch products out the door in anticipation of Apple, are all falling for a head-fake from Apple.

post #4 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Why don't they all it nebulae…

They're not that smart.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #5 of 46

I hope they ain't planning on loading Android into a watch :D. 

Tizen perhaps.

post #6 of 46

Shipping right after the Apple iWatch¡

post #7 of 46
They are probably singing the same tune as Microsoft....,,"we can do anything that apple can do better".....without realising there in fairytale land all the while.
post #8 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

I hope they ain't planning on loading Android into a watch :D. 

Tizen perhaps.

Funny! :)

I think someone here sarcastically mentioned "knock-ia" was putting windows 8 with Office on a watch! :)

post #9 of 46
I think Apple is at least seriously looking into wearable devices. But I've often thought Apple would be spending wisely if they has a dozen or so full-time people (mere peanuts!) doing nothing but planting really good, detailed red herrings about future Apple plans. Including bogus job postings, fake device IDs in web logs, red herrings inserted into programming code (only during early test builds), useless domain purchases and trademark filings, dummy ad layouts and web pages, and even physical prototypes and parts leaks, made the same way as real parts. Expensive but not that expensive, and worth it to keep your future plans from the competition.
post #10 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I think Apple is at least seriously looking into wearable devices. But I've often thought Apple would be spending wisely if they has a dozen or so full-time people (mere peanuts!) doing nothing but planting really good, detailed red herrings about future Apple plans. Including bogus job postings, fake device IDs in web logs, red herrings inserted into programming code (only during early test builds), useless domain purchases and trademark filings, dummy ad layouts and web pages, and even physical prototypes and parts leaks, made the same way as real parts. Expensive but not that expensive, and worth it to keep your future plans from the competition.

It was confirmed long ago that Apple does have people that do just this, yep.

post #11 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They're not that smart.

Thank you sir! 1smoking.gif My privilege. 

post #12 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Thank you sir! 1smoking.gif
 My privilege. 

The use of "Nebula" for branding under Galaxy is a great idea. I sort of wish they'd do it, even though they're Samsung, it's so good.

post #13 of 46
Apple should now declare Apple's wearable products to be called "Galaxy Gear." And when Samsung sues Apple should tell them to "innovate, not litigate."

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #14 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave MacLachlan View Post

I know it's not the case, but it would by hysterical if all of these companies rushing to get smartwatch products out the door in anticipation of Apple, are all falling for a head-fake from Apple.

Who says they are? Samsung has had a history with watches.
post #15 of 46
Quote:

The use of "Nebula" for branding under Galaxy is a great idea. I sort of wish they'd do it, even though they're Samsung, it's so good.

I don't care if their next laptop looks like the original toilet seat iBook and is called the "Black Hole"- I could care less about Samdung.

Where's the new Apple TV?

Where's the new Apple TV?
post #16 of 46
What is with Samsung and their Galaxy name?!!! Galaxy this ... Galaxy that.....

On the same note, why they always use these teenage looking Korean girls show off their products?!!

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

post #17 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

What is with Samsung and their Galaxy name?!!! Galaxy this ... Galaxy that.....

On the same note, why they always use these teenage looking Korean girls show off their products?!!

Because white men with money love young Asian girls. lol.gif
post #18 of 46
Quote:

Trademark it, sell or license it, make some dough, move out of the sticks, and finally get yourself some decent internet.
post #19 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloman View Post

Trademark it, sell or license it, make some dough, move out of the sticks, and finally get yourself some decent internet.

Eh, ten megs is fine.

post #20 of 46

if Apple is releasing a watch or something, it sure will be funny to see the Samesung cloner stuff before iWatch and after iWatch.  Cant wait to hear the...."it was an obvious progression of technology.."  nonsense again.  actually it will be sad to see Samesung and the rest of the cloners copying Apples stuff yet again and getting away with it.

post #21 of 46

They've done it! It's a wristwatch computer!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #22 of 46
Quote:

It was confirmed long ago that Apple does have people that do just this, yep.

I wouldn't call that silly article a confirmation. A lot of tech companies have paid and unpaid interns. With unpaid ones they are limited in how they can be legally used. Basically they can't displace the duties of a real employee, but it can be a way for companies to hunt for bright students. I suspect that confirmation was something of that sort, intern duties meant to determine how the individuals approach various problems. There are other possibilities like menial projects that were simply doomed.

post #23 of 46

Anyone thought that this all maybe Apple disinformation ?

post #24 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave MacLachlan View Post

I have been thinking this myself, I was wondering if Apple planted this entire idea in hopes it competitors all jumped on the idea only to waste money time and resource on a non-starter product. When in fact Iwatch was something to do with TV not a piece of body jewelery

post #25 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

They've done it! It's a wristwatch computer!

Prior art!

I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #26 of 46
I think it would be a huge mistake if apple made an "iWatch". Every time I see this rumor it is easily dismissed. What can an "iWatch" do that an iPhone cannot do better? All the talk is a smoke screen...
post #27 of 46

How do they know what to design when there is no iWatch side by side on their watches?

post #28 of 46

I can honestly see Apple coming out with a really good design for a smartwatch. It probably will require pairing of some sort with an iPhone/iPod Touch and maybe even have some limited functionality when far from other iDevices.

What I see with all other designs out there is downright ugly. Too bulky IMO.

If Apple comes up with a design it'll probably look like the "Nike FuelBand", at least I hope Jony Ive can pull something subtle like that, out of his hat.

Let other manufacturers throw everything including the kitchen sink into their junk. A good designer doesn't just think of what he can put into his creation but also what he leaves out. In that respect, I trust Sir Jony.

post #29 of 46

So one day I went to the Appleinsider forums to read up on any rumors or speculation concerning new Macbook Pros or the upcoming Mac Pro.

So I checked out the "FUTURE APPLE HARDWARE" forum.

You know what I found at the top of the list?

A Post from AI about a Samsung watch...

What. the. heck.

post #30 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman2 View Post

Anyone thought that this all maybe Apple disinformation ?

What disinformation? They haven't said anything except file for some trademarks.
post #31 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Prior art!

Lol. What is that?
post #32 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Funny! :)

I think someone here sarcastically mentioned "knock-ia" was putting windows 8 with Office on a watch! :)

I can't count the number of times I've thought my wrist would be way more awesome with Pivot Tables(TM).

post #33 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

I wouldn't call that silly article a confirmation.

What article? I'm talking about an interview with some guy from Apple in the early naughties who said exactly that: Apple has people who explicitly leak falsified information to see which of their suppliers and retailers to punish.

post #34 of 46
Quote:

What article? I'm talking about an interview with some guy from Apple in the early naughties who said exactly that: Apple has people who explicitly leak falsified information to see which of their suppliers and retailers to punish.

Ahhh the old channel leaks to see which lie comes back.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #35 of 46
Quote:

They may leak false information, but Dave Newton (ex-Safari) debunked the fake project thing.

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #36 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

They may leak false information, but Dave Newton (ex-Safari) debunked the fake project thing.

To be clear, do you mean the "fake project" article about how interns and new hires were supposedly put on devices that don't exist?

Not that. I'm talking about something even older.

post #37 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

I can't count the number of times I've thought my wrist would be way more awesome with Pivot Tables(TM).

Wrist Foosball™ anyone? I'm thinking sky is the limit here on the creative possibilities.

post #38 of 46
Quote:

...the early naughties...

Classic... lol.gif

post #39 of 46
Quote:

No I'm not racist. Can't you take a joke? Jeez. When did we all become a bunch of sensitive pansies?

About the time you stormed into the china shop wearing that bull outfit, maybe?

I'm probably not alone in thinking you probably work with or for Samsung, based on a good number of your posts. You sure know how to troll a thread pretty well too.

Huh, yeah… that's all really.

post #40 of 46
Quote:

Lol. What is that?

I was thinking a cubist wrist-mounted snuff box maybe, but, I dunno for sure.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Samsung seeks 'Galaxy Gear' smart watch trademark as wearable tech market heats up