or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Android on 80% of smartphones shipped in Q2, while Apple's iPhone took 13%

Android on 80% of smartphones shipped in Q2, while Apple's iPhone took 13% - Page 4

post #121 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloman View Post

Ummm yes it does.

cheap  (chp)
adj. cheap·er, cheap·est
1. Relatively low in cost; inexpensive or comparatively inexpensive.

I think (and I also think you know) that the "cheap" they were referring to was the definition you conveniently left out:

2. Inexpensive because of inferior quality cheap, shoddy goods.

or in your case:

• of little worth because achieved in a discreditable way requiring little effort her moment of cheap triumph.• deserving of contempt a cheap trick.

post #122 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Surely you're not being this dense.

oh, oh yes, he most certainly can be. Have you read the rest of his contributions so far?

woah. deja vu.

post #123 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

You're in the minority here then. Most AI posters believe that everyone in the entire world should own an iPhone otherwise they are stupid/poor/<insert other derogatory comment>.

Nuh-uh! 1oyvey.gif

There. I said it. Someone had to.

post #124 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I really don't think you understand why this website exists.

Well when I joined almost 3 years ago, I believed that it existed for providing Insider knowledge into the world of Apple. Now it seems to be a forum for whiny fanboys.

I will NEVER pay $679 for an 8GB plastic cell phone
I will NEVER pay $679 for an 8GB plastic cell phone
post #125 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

It certainly looks like Android has already win "the game". I didn't expect that Windows-Mac history to repeat again. At least not as fast! And it looks like in 2-3 years Windows will catch iOS! Can Apple turn the ship around? I doubt. They've just lost so many oportunities. They were kings 2-3 years ago and now...

That's hilarious! 1biggrin.gif

post #126 of 149
Quote:

It certainly looks like Android has already win "the game". Can Apple turn the ship around? I doubt. They were kings 2-3 years ago and now…
Quote:

Yeah, except Steve now sells only 13 eggs. Last year he did sell 30, and two years ago he sold 45. But not anymore. So, something must be wrong with Steve's eggs. Maybe, just maybe, Steve is too greedy and he's eggs are not worth the price he asks for them?

Whatever you're smoking, it's going to kill you. Take a sabbatical to hit rehab. This is just plain stupid.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #127 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

Do you actually have an app on both platforms or are you using a hypothetical?

I do have multiple apps on both :)

post #128 of 149

Next year about same time I expect iPhone market share to be around 30% globally even from IDS's reports. Profits? I don't even dare to mention them, because plastic iPhone will slaughter Samsung's biggest profit segment.

Consequently, App Store and iTunes will establish even stronger domination. When Apple releases larger screen iPhone, then Samsnug will have a real chance to show its invention skills, because there will be no more product segment to escape from iPhone.

Not to mention Apple has become smarter and learned from mistakes, market and competitors and believe me, they will bring new distinctive features that will be harder and harder to copy. Next year Apple comes back in shiny armor and I wouldn't want to hold to  much Samsnug shares then... :D

post #129 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

Next year about same time I expect iPhone market share to be around 30% globally even from IDS's reports. Profits? I don't even dare to mention them, because plastic iPhone will slaughter Samsung's biggest profit segment.

Consequently, App Store and iTunes will establish even stronger domination. When Apple releases larger screen iPhone, then Samsnug will have a real chance to show its invention skills, because there will be no more product segment to escape from iPhone.

Not to mention Apple has become smarter and learned from mistakes, market and competitors and believe me, they will bring new distinctive features that will be harder and harder to copy. Next year Apple comes back in shiny armor and I wouldn't want to hold to  much Samsnug shares then... :D

I don't know if Apple will go out of the way doing things just to compete for market share alone.

Its never been Apple's culture. Like the bigger screen just for gaining market share I doubt it. They so far reason that bigger screens wouldn't give the end user the right User Experience (unless a day comes were they manage to give the same User experience with a big screen).

A lower cost iPhone's a very likely option.. We saw that with the iPad mini already.

post #130 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

I don't know if Apple will go out of the way doing things just to compete for market share alone.

Its never been Apple's culture. Like the bigger screen just for gaining market share I doubt it. They so far reason that bigger screens wouldn't give the end user the right User Experience (unless a day comes were they manage to give the same User experience with a big screen).

A lower cost iPhone's a very likely option.. We saw that with the iPad mini already.

That is the catch! They won't go for the sake of market share, it will just happen. If they would go for market share, they could make 80% in year and half. They are out to get service customers form mid market, that don't require top devices and they will also go for similar kind of service consumers that just need bigger screen for whatever reasons. This rounds up to roughly 30%. Apple doesn't really need the rest 70% that spend no money on apps, media and other IP.

post #131 of 149

Apple's true advantage lies around the fact they build both there hardware and software, enabling them to leverage the design aspects of both the worlds in a manner none of the others can really do.

Think about it, the iPhone 5 packing in the horse power it has, while becoming light, and compact (height , width , thickness) and at the same time building an Eco System that's integrated so well with Apple Tv, Air Drop (Coming in iOS 7 to iOS).

I love Air Drop as its a way to transfer files via both wifi and bluetooth, it just detects the best way to discover others automatically.

You don't have to go around the room actually bumping your phone with each person you wanna transfer files too :P

Top that off with iTunes Radio (in iOS 7) you have great music discoverability, and then being able to buy music with a single tap. 

We now know they are bringing Bio metrics in.

iOS in the Car is another area of expansion the others haven't even started think off yet.

The competition is bewildered at all the directions Apple's expanding.

What do we make of all this ?

User Experience, Customer Satisfaction is taken up way off the charts. Those elements built what's called Brand Loyalty among its users, something that NO platform has managed to build today the way Apple has.

So with a mid level iPhone rumored, what do you get ? You get more to experience Apple's flavor and most of them are going to be tempted to move to its premium offering or buy into there Eco System since they understand the value then first hand.

Edited by nikilok - 8/8/13 at 1:15am
post #132 of 149
Quote:

Money is money. The more ways you can find to make it the better.

If you don't have a strong gag reflex, there may be a money-making opportunity for you at some local truck stops.

post #133 of 149
I don't understand the attraction, but here in Hong Kong, at least 7 out of 10 people I see using a phone or a tablet are using Samescum
post #134 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinHK View Post

I don't understand the attraction, but here in Hong Kong, at least 7 out of 10 people I see using a phone or a tablet are using Samescum

Market share not equal to mind share
post #135 of 149
As everyone else has said, these numbers are pretty useless. I'm pretty sure including the junk that is free in Christmas crackers from the Android camp isn't really comparing 'apples to apples' is it?
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #136 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Surely you're not being this dense. Cheap means low cost but lower cost doesn't mean cheap.

Relatively is the keyword. We refer to things that are poorly made as cheap but in actuality that's wrong. Cheap and poorly made are not one and the same.
post #137 of 149
Quote:

Market share not equal to mind share

But Samsung's mind share is growing. Here's a conversation I overheard in a department store.

Young man to young lady "what phone do you have?"
Young lady "I have the iPhone"
Young man "ewwww really?"
Young lady "I know I know I'm saving up for a SGS 4"

With it's marketing blitz Samsung has been able to effectively buy mind share.
post #138 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

As everyone else has said, these numbers are pretty useless. I'm pretty sure including the junk that is free in Christmas crackers from the Android camp isn't really comparing 'apples to apples' is it?

Agreed. The vast majority of those Android phones are nothing more than glorified feature phones and it's users contribute little or nothing in the way of app, music, video, or ebook purchases.
post #139 of 149
Quote:

But Samsung's mind share is growing. Here's a conversation I overheard in a department store.

Young man to young lady "what phone do you have?"
Young lady "I have the iPhone"
Young man "ewwww really?"
Young lady "I know I know I'm saving up for a SGS 4"

With it's marketing blitz Samsung has been able to effectively buy mind share.

LOL

Was that "department store" a dollar general?

Sounds like people with no class.
post #140 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

LOL

Was that "department store" a dollar general?

Sounds like people with no class.

Nope it was a Macy's in a affluent neighborhood that I go to whenever I need a suit because they have a larger selection. You could be right though, money doesn't necessarily mean that they have class, but nevertheless they're buying Samsung phones.
post #141 of 149
There is only one phone that uses iOS whereas every other phone uses Android or Windows. So shouldn't Android be selling more phones, because they have more companies using them? Whereas with iOS only Apple sells them.
post #142 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Who exactly won the game? It doesn't matter how many devices you ship... it matters if people use them and if it's driving revenue. Google made ZERO dollars on Android. ZERO. Most of their mobile ad revenues continue to be derived from iOS device. Go anywhere and look. Most people use iPhones or iPads (at least in the US)  Most people I know that have an Android device would rather have an iPhone or iPad.  I spoke with a woman this weekend who said she had three Android devices but doesn't like them so they sit in a drawer.

So winning is shipping product at zero profit or at a loss with a free operating system that no one uses except for basic phone and some free games?

Zero profit of a large corporation means the consumers are winning.  Do you wish your cell phone bill can be cut in half and let the carriers have zero profit, or wish your phone bill doubled to let the carriers have more profit in order to upgrade their infrastructures?

But of course, we all know how google makes profit. If you don't mind privacy, malware, go with android.

post #143 of 149
Quote:

So with a mid level iPhone rumored, what do you get ? You get more to experience Apple's flavor and most of them are going to be tempted to move to its premium offering or buy into there Eco System since they understand the value then first hand.

Unless Apple makes the mid level iphone crippled in some way, otherwise people who can only afford mid level will stay at mid level.

But I still think a mid level iphone is a turn in Apple's corporate culture.  I thought Apple doesn't care about market share.  Why tailor to those mid level people and let them share the eco system?  Apple should spend more money on coming out with new amazing products instead of milking the iphone even down to the mid level.

post #144 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Why tailor to those mid level people and let them share the eco system?  Apple should spend more money on coming out with new amazing products instead of milking the iphone even down to the mid level.

Mid level devices is important to have in capturing the developing countries market. They do have the largest population.

The mid level iPhone would obviously be fatter , prolly lower processor specs and a lower quality build compared to the higher end version.

Numbers can work out in Apple's favor since they are pushing there iAds network. So even if the mid device users don't invest into the Eco System, they can still be used to serve Ads to via iTunes Radio and iAds in general.

post #145 of 149
You don't have to sell the most units to be the best. Oh. Snap.
post #146 of 149
Quote:

WHY Developers stay away from Android ??

Ill tell you why, because I am a developer myself.

Say I create an App and sell it for 1$ on Apple's App store, I actually make 70% of that money per individual buying my app.

And on Apple's eco system tons of them buy those apps.

I put the same thing on Google Play, what's gonna happen is your App gets purchased by the hacker community, that will then Publish your app for free on the internet and tons of other stores out there.

Just for your info, you can get hacked iPhone apps on internet just as easy as Android.

post #147 of 149
Quote:

WHY Developers stay away from Android ??

Ill tell you why, because I am a developer myself.

Say I create an App and sell it for 1$ on Apple's App store, I actually make 70% of that money per individual buying my app.

And on Apple's eco system tons of them buy those apps.

I put the same thing on Google Play, what's gonna happen is your App gets purchased by the hacker community, that will then Publish your app for free on the internet and tons of other stores out there.

Or even worse have it rebranded and make it look like there's and re-sell it back on Google Play.

End of the day no one buys them. (Coz you can get a free version on the web)

The state the Android eco system is, hardware manufacture's are making very less margin on the actual hardware.

They actually then plan on making money over E-Services. Which again is all in ruins.

Samsung's trying to promote there S-Hub and the rest , like Amazon promote there stores.. That just gives the hacker community more options to pirate your Apps for free or a cheaper price !

What are developers doing today about it ?

Sure ill make my app and put it on Apple's store make the money, and then make a lesser quality version of the app (dont care if it's got a few bugs) and put it in Google Play with ADs in it. Yeah so the developers really only planning on taking home AD revenues from Android.

Sure there are more people out there to watch my AD's so ill end up making a little, but nothing even close to what I make on Apple's Store.

Now really Androids still winning the race ?? It's what I said earlier Apple's taking home all the mobile profits..

Android's catching up in revenues as well.  A little more nuanced report.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2013/05/31/apple-still-dominates-tablet-and-app-store-usage-but-android-is-gaining-ground/

http://bgr.com/2013/05/31/android-ios-app-revenue-whatsapp/ (same research source)

http://brandongaille.com/android-app-store-revenue-split-and-mobile-app-advertising-revenue-stats/

http://venturebeat.com/2013/07/31/android-in-app-downloads/

http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/15/the-app-stores-50b-downloads-vs-google-plays-48b-android-closes-the-gap/

post #148 of 149
The thing I don't like about these articles is they refer to Android as one entity. It's not.

HTC, LG, Motorola, Samsung and anyone else making an android phone - ARE ALL IN DIRECT COMPETITION WITH EACH OTHER. It doesn't help anyone else ( except Google ) when Samsung sells an Android phone.

How about some HARD RESEARCH. APPLE has 13-14% of the smartphone market? Samsung has what percent ? I'm betting it's not more then Apples.. iPhone 5 sold 55 million so far.. Galaxy S4 sold 30 million.. and the Galaxy is the best selling Android phone..
post #149 of 149
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Android on 80% of smartphones shipped in Q2, while Apple's iPhone took 13%
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Android on 80% of smartphones shipped in Q2, while Apple's iPhone took 13%