or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone builds on US smartphone lead as iOS gains on Android

Apple's iPhone builds on US smartphone lead as iOS gains on Android - Page 2

post #41 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Those monkeys at motorola managed to create a phone with the same dimensions as the iphone 5 but with a 4.5" screen.

That certainly is a valid point: I don't want a larger phone, 'so I can use the same pants'. If the iPhone can get a bigger screen without increasing the dimensions of the device itself that would work for me. Still, I like the smaller dimensions of the previous versions better, but apparently I don't mind the small increase in size of the 5. If they come out with a larger phone and won't have any of the 2 smaller form factors up for sale I'll hang on to my 5, but I don't think that will be the case.

what you and others like you don't understand is: your opinion doesn't matter (or mine).

A different iPhone line with a bigger display makes all the sense in the world, you would have the same iPhone line you like. So why the constant "no because no" bla bla? Because Apple is always right? Please... They are milking it because money just keeps coming in.

If Apple dumped the older models they could even have less fragmentaton! Costs? 160 billion on the bank, no less than 7 billion net profit each quarter and you see the initial cost of another iPhone line as a concern when obviously people are willing to pay the same if not much more for a bigger screen? Please.

If Apple wants something different then the mac situation:

- Dump older models even if the design changes from 2 years only;

- Cheaper iPhone;

- Bigger display iPhone;

. Current iPhone line.

No one would lose anything and the displays and all the tech needed are there. Heck, as we know, it's easier to make an s4 or htc one (big phones) than a smaller phone. No excuse, just taking us as fools.

Then, just for Suddenly Newton, Apple should already be using IGZO displays and liquid metal. :)

post #42 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

what you and others like you don't understand is: your opinion doesn't matter (or mine).

A different iPhone line with a bigger display makes all the sense in the world, you would have the same iPhone line you like. So why the constant "no because no" bla bla? Because Apple is always right? Please... They are milking it because money just keeps coming in.

If Apple dumped the older models they could even have less fragmentaton! Costs? 160 billion on the bank, no less than 7 billion net profit each quarter and you see the initial cost of another iPhone line as a concern when obviously people are willing to pay the same if not much more for a bigger screen? Please.

If Apple wants something different then the mac situation:

- Dump older models even if the design changes from 2 years only;

- Cheaper iPhone;

- Bigger display iPhone;

. Current iPhone line.

No one would lose anything and the displays and all the tech needed are there. Heck, as we know, it's easier to make an s4 or htc one (big phones) than a smaller phone. No excuse, just taking us as fools.

Then, just for Suddenly Newton, Apple should already be using IGZO displays and liquid metal. :)

What cracks me up is the NFC chip in how it's used. Hey, let's bump phones to exchange data.  Is that about the DUMBEST thing.  It's like smartphone sex.

The whole point of having a smartphone is being able to transfer data via wireless transmission wifi, cellular data transmission and Blue Tooth, but bumping phones? That's just dumb.  What happens if you have a room full of people, you have go around the room bumping phones, that's not so wireless if the phones touch.

I trying to figure out a more appropriate meaning of the acronym NFC.  I can figure out the first two words.  No... F-ing... The C i haven't quite come up with an appropriate word for that yet.  How wait, CLUE.  No F-ing Clue.  NFC.  Maybe that's more appropriate meaning.

post #43 of 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

What cracks me up is the NFC chip in how it's used. Hey, let's bump phones to exchange data.  Is that about the DUMBEST thing.  It's like smartphone sex.

The whole point of having a smartphone is being able to transfer data via wireless transmission wifi, cellular data transmission and Blue Tooth, but bumping phones? That's just dumb.  What happens if you have a room full of people, you have go around the room bumping phones, that's not so wireless if the phones touch.

Like anything else, it depends on what you want to do.  

Obviously NFC's purpose is not to broadcast to an entire room.  There are other methods for that.  For example, WiFi data sharing.  Or the usual culprits like email and SMS/MMS.  

NFC is another optional comm method, with its own special purpose.  Which is being able to instantly initiate a connection to send info to a single person next to you, without having to know / select / type in each other's phone number or email address, or to set up WiFi comms. 

And no, you don't have to bump.  Gently placing the phones close to each other works too, and is what most people do in real life.

For instance, when my son-in-law visits and he wants to share a URL or photo or contact or even a map to a restaurant with me, we just hold the backs of our phones to each other, and that's that.  Easier and quicker than email or SMS etc.

post #44 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Obviously NFC's purpose is not to broadcast to an entire room.  There are other methods for that.  For example, WiFi data sharing.  Or the usual culprits like email and SMS/MMS.  

NFC is another optional comm method, with its own special purpose.  Which is being able to instantly initiate a connection to send info to a single person next to you, without having to know / select / type in each other's phone number or email address, or to set up WiFi comms. 

And no, you don't have to bump.  Gently placing the phones close to each other works too, and is what most people do in real life.

For instance, when my son-in-law visits and he wants to share a URL or photo or contact or even a map to a restaurant with me, we just hold the backs of our phones to each other, and that's that.  Easier and quicker than email or SMS etc.

Sorry, I think NFC how they are using it is dumb. Just wifi the info.  Bumping phones, what a dumb idea.  I can see maybe using it to pay for something at a cashier, but I've only been to one store once or twice that even had that capability.

I'm sure as time goes on, it will get perfected and maybe more common, but so far I can live without it, it's not a must have feature.  I've lived over 50 years without having a Maps program when i drive, and I usually know where I'm going ahead of time, only RARELY have I needed to break out a Map.  I know it useful, but it's not something I would need on a daily basis.   I guess if I was i a foreign country, that would be highly useful.  But 99% I really don't need a Map app, but they are fun to play around with.

post #45 of 59
Quote:

So what would you think would be a good solution if you were a account rep or someone that would do presentations in a room full of people and you had 20 to 100 people that you wanted to share some info with? Cruise the room bumping phones?   That's what kinds of scenarios I would run into and know others would do the same.  So you think NFC would work?  

post #46 of 59
Quote:

I trying to figure out a more appropriate meaning of the acronym NFC.  I can figure out the first two words.  No... F-ing... The C i haven't quite come up with an appropriate word for that yet.  How wait, CLUE.  No F-ing Clue.  NFC.  Maybe that's more appropriate meaning.

lol

It's used for payments, right? Perhaps:

No F*ing Cash
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #47 of 59
Quote:

lol

No F*ing Cash

Well, I've only been to one store that I know of that had a system in place to use NFC and it's not a place I frequent, so it's not an issue. Have you not heard of a debt/credit card? I'm sure there are other ways that it can be done w/o a NFC chip like maybe displaying a image on the screen they can scan?
post #48 of 59
Quote:

And this is being done without any product announcements since last sept/oct. for any iOS device, so as they say, it's the calm before the storm.

I personally do not like the entire Apple lineup being stacked into Q3 and Q4. It's going to make launch day a complete mess. Like to a nightmarish extent.
post #49 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

I personally do not like the entire Apple lineup being stacked into Q3 and Q4. It's going to make launch day a complete mess. Like to a nightmarish extent.

They'll stagger launches almost like they did last year, only it would make sense that they had maybe two launches.  One for iPhone/iPads, one for iMacs/MBP/MacPro.   They kinda already announced the Mac Pro and the only thing is talking about configurations and pricing.  MBP and iMacs could be done in the same announcement, and iPhones and iPads could be done on another day.  Remember, they can do a 2 hour announcement to also show off OS X and iOS 7 if need be to show off some other features they didn't talk about yet.

They typically have two hour announcements and they could spread them apart by a month, one in Sept, one in Oct., or even Nov. if they needed a break.

I don't know what else they could do to the iPod lineup since the shuffle hasn't changed other than maybe changing the colors or MAYBE increasing storage, the Nano really hasn't changed and the iPod touch MIGHT change.

Either way, start saving your money, it's going to be a PACKED Christmas, per usual.

They could always split it into 3 announcements. One in Sept, one in Oct, and one in November.  Anything is possible.   I forgot, a new AppleTV.  I feel sorry for the Apple Store reps that have to learn the new products quickly.  They are going to be slammed.

post #50 of 59
Quote:

Well, I've only been to one store that I know of that had a system in place to use NFC and it's not a place I frequent, so it's not an issue. Have you not heard of a debt/credit card? I'm sure there are other ways that it can be done w/o a NFC chip like maybe displaying a image on the screen they can scan?

And you are in The States? Would surprise me for you to see so few NFC payment options. I haven't seen any; probably should head over to Austria

I indeed use a credit card (and PIN card).

I went to the Pixar Expo the other day and they had a scanner which read the barcode from the ticket in my email I had purchased. Easy peasy.
post #51 of 59
Quote:

lol

No F*ing Cash

How long could you go doing what you normally do without carrying cash or a credit/debt card and ONLY used a NFC phone?  How long could you go withover pulling out cash or a credit/debt card and STILL go to all of the places you have gone in the last 5 years?  

And what would happen if you started to not carry cash and cards in your wallet and you solely relied on your smartphone but at one point your phone stopped working because the battery drained, or it just stopped working because it died, OR it got stolen or lost?  

Trust me, I don't think not having NFC is really that big of a deal.   It's a neat feature, but it's NOT a MUST HAVE, CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT feature. Sorry.

post #52 of 59
Quote:

I feel sorry for the Apple Store reps that have to learn the new products quickly.  They are going to be slammed.

Indeed. Worse, I don't think the products are shown to the Store employees before any official announcement. They really need to be 'working overtime' after an announcement I guess. Anyone knows this to be true?
post #53 of 59
Quote:

I know, so basically NFC is NOT an absolute MUST HAVE. It's a cool feature, but NOT something that will be used all of the time.  It's a LONG ways off from that.

post #54 of 59
Quote:

Indeed. Worse, I don't think the products are shown to the Store employees before any official announcement. They really need to be 'working overtime' after an announcement I guess. Anyone knows this to be true?

They have the iPad stations which have the basics, the differences they are going to have are basically 802.11ac, which is already known about. Haswell chips, which is pretty simple to learn, they already are exposed to 10.9 and iOS 7. Their product line is VERY simple to learn if you're immersed in Apple products on a daily basis.  They'll probably have people from Corporate placed in Apple Stores like they typically do, so it's just a matter of having their setup changed which they do.  Remember, they'll probably announce a week or two before they show up in the stores so they have some pre-registration system on-line as to minimize the lines.

post #55 of 59
Quote:

They have the iPad stations which have the basics, the differences they are going to have are basically 802.11ac, which is already known about. Haswell chips, which is pretty simple to learn, they already are exposed to 10.9 and iOS 7. Their product line is VERY simple to learn if you're immersed in Apple products on a daily basis.  They'll probably have people from Corporate placed in Apple Stores like they typically do, so it's just a matter of having their setup changed which they do.  Remember, they'll probably announce a week or two before they show up in the stores so they have some pre-registration system on-line as to minimize the lines.

Good points. Indeed, Store employees get free access to beta software and can install on their own devices if they want to. A rep from Pro Labs told me during an in-store session.

They sometimes send people from corporate to stores? Cool. Probably not international, just CA(?)

----
Completely off topic, but hey:
http://www.iphoneeinstein.com/2013/08/09/google-wallet-pulling-support-for-gift-loyalty-cards/
post #56 of 59
Quote:

Good points. Indeed, Store employees get free access to beta software and can install on their own devices if they want to. A rep from Pro Labs told me during an in-store session.

They sometimes send people from corporate to stores? Cool. Probably not international, just CA(?)

----
Completely off topic, but hey:
http://www.iphoneeinstein.com/2013/08/09/google-wallet-pulling-support-for-gift-loyalty-cards/

I don't know what they do for each store outside of CA, but the store in my area had people from Corporate helping customers.  Which is kind of cool.  I think I talked to one that was a product manager or something at that level.  Yeah, I already know of some using Beta versions of iOS 7, but they can't really show the customer, which I think is kind of dumb.  Before Apple had put out a memo that Apple Store employees weren't supposed to show customers, I saw a glimpse of it, but it was just basically for about 15 seconds.  But, they get hardware information the same day we do.  But that stuff is easy to pick up and get up to speed unless it's a completely brand new device.  But most of what is obviously on tap to be released is just product refreshes. 

post #57 of 59
Quote:

Yeah, I already know of some using Beta versions of iOS 7, but they can't really show the customer, which I think is kind of dumb.  Before Apple had put out a memo that Apple Store employees weren't supposed to show customers, I saw a glimpse of it, but it was just basically for about 15 seconds.

Funny that: iOS7 was shown to me while attending a 4 day Pro Lab. Maybe it differs from country/employee to country/employee.
post #58 of 59
Quote:

Funny that: iOS7 was shown to me while attending a 4 day Pro Lab. Maybe it differs from country/employee to country/employee.

There's no doubt it happens from time to time... anyone can show you their phone. But Apple doesn't really want to show the general public a "work in progress" OS

The purpose of the beta is to get iOS into the hands of developers so they can implement new features... and to fix bugs.

Joe and Jane Public don't need to see it though.
post #59 of 59
Quote:

I read that Apple Store sales people were not allowed to show iOS 7 to customers in the retail stores and this announcement went public about a week or so after the announcement.  Maybe the Lab you went to was for a specific crowd. 

Was this Pro Lab for developers?   Maybe it's a timing thing.  This person showed it to me before the announcement was publicized, but I haven't seen him pull out his iPhone since. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone builds on US smartphone lead as iOS gains on Android