or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Exclusive: Hidden contacts revealed within Apple's iOS in the Car
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Exclusive: Hidden contacts revealed within Apple's iOS in the Car - Page 2

post #41 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzlink View Post

Wow. AI has got this all wrong.

 

This is simply "ipod in the car" ver.2.0

 

Example

When you hook up your iphone5 to a 2011 or newer Audi via bluetooth OR USB, the following is sent to the cars display from the phone

 

Signal Strength

Battery power

Contacts

Ongoing call status

Playlists 

Albumart 

Currently playing info artist etc. (playlist albumart also works from 3rd party apps like Spotify)

 

Moreover, aftermarket carstereos have for years also made it possible to watch videos (tv-shows and movies) over the "ipod in the car" interface for years.

 

iOS in the car, will work just the same, but will send entire screens instead of just the data.

 

This will live inside one of the apps in the cars entertainment system, just as "ipod in the car" does today. If you haven't got an apple device, then you just use your cars normal cd / cassette player / AM radio as usual. and other crappy "apps" as usual.

 

no.

 

the big change is that the iOS7 UI - both touchscreen and Siri - will also be "built into" the car (even if actually running on your connected iOS device).

 

so what you then will have is a "virtual iPad in the car."

 

and with that comes the huge capability the iPod never had - additional apps that can do all sorts of things. i dunno how that potential will be used, but it's there.

post #42 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

I think this article shows how completely out of touch some Apple blogs and fans are. (Note: Am typing this on a 13" MBA and have an iPad mini and iPhone - and two Android phones - next to me, so am impartial). For starters, there is nothing at all new or innovative about any of the above. Since a few years ago, I have been able to dock even my most basic Android phone in my car (at the time, a Motorola DEFY running a very old version of Android) and do the following:

1. Issue spoken commands to do pretty much all I can do today with Siri.
2. Navigate to must about anywhere on Earth, with Google's excellent satnav killing Google Maps/Turn by turn directions
3. Obtain location info, such as nearest ATM, gas station etc.

Further, the navigation interface is not from above, but is down at street level like a regular satnav, so it's easy comprehend. Looking at maps from above is confusing because you lose your orientation, but that's another discussion. (I'm aware that Apple maps can do street level views now, but it couldn't even last year.)

I hate to say it, but Apple are years behind. Google Now today can do a huge amount, and lot of it will work in any car, simply by mounting your device above the dash.

I still think Apple made a huge error giving Google maps the boot - they have a lot of catching up to do, in particular in the place naming accuracy and Street View department.

 

You do realize that Google Maps and Now are Google's key leading features for Android, right? 

 

The problem is that's all Google has, and Apple has largely caught up within a year. At the same time, Apple's iOS has some things Android doesn't have. And you know what those things are. So it's a wonder why you feel the need to do a superiority dance for a hobbyist platform with no good app exclusives, no advanced development tools like Core Data, no security, no enterprise support, no real integration, and so on. If you like Android, enjoy it. The world is not confused. Nobody has ever needed some comment troll to educate them about how their personally favorite product is so wonderful everyone else is stupid for not talking about it rather than the topic being discussed. 

post #43 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLL View Post

They are.

 

iOS in the Car is not Apple hardware in the car. It is getting iOS from your iPhone onto the car's existing screen. That's why the Home button is there: it's to use the screen's built-in features when an iPhone isn't connected.

 

AI is totally wrong about this.

 

The very first paragraph at apple.com about iOS in the Car even says so:

 

"OS in the Car seamlessly integrates your iOS device — and the iOS experience — with your in-dash system. If your vehicle is equipped with iOS in the Car, you can connect your iPhone 5 and interact with it using the car’s built-in display and controls or Siri Eyes Free."

 

The in-dash system is NOT running iOS.

 

Previous articles have described various ways iOS in the Car could be implemented (AirPlay wireless/cable integration, iOS appearance hosted by third party hardware, Apple hardware), with the pros and cons of each. None of them are an AI prediction, so there's nothing to be "totally wrong" about. The program is an expansion of Eyes Free, so there's no revelation in what you are saying, and that's been widely mentioned as a possibility, including within AI's coverage. 

post #44 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

I think this article shows how completely out of touch some Apple blogs and fans are. (Note: Am typing this on a 13" MBA and have an iPad mini and iPhone - and two Android phones - next to me, so am impartial). For starters, there is nothing at all new or innovative about any of the above. Since a few years ago, I have been able to dock even my most basic Android phone in my car (at the time, a Motorola DEFY running a very old version of Android) and do the following:

1. Issue spoken commands to do pretty much all I can do today with Siri.
2. Navigate to must about anywhere on Earth, with Google's excellent satnav killing Google Maps/Turn by turn directions
3. Obtain location info, such as nearest ATM, gas station etc.

Further, the navigation interface is not from above, but is down at street level like a regular satnav, so it's easy comprehend. Looking at maps from above is confusing because you lose your orientation, but that's another discussion. (I'm aware that Apple maps can do street level views now, but it couldn't even last year.)

I hate to say it, but Apple are years behind. Google Now today can do a huge amount, and lot of it will work in any car, simply by mounting your device above the dash.

I still think Apple made a huge error giving Google maps the boot - they have a lot of catching up to do, in particular in the place naming accuracy and Street View department.

 

well sure, you can dock you iPhone or droid phone on a dashboard mount now and do all that stuff. so?

 

currently, Apple's EyesFree also transmits and displays basic iPod-like info to your car's display screen too, as noted by bzzlink above. i suppose there is some droid equivalent ...

 

but just passively mirroring your smartphone's screen onto your car display like AirPlay - which is certainly possible now, i suppose there is even some droid equivalent - would not be very useful, and actually distracting. their display UI's are obviously not designed for that situation at all.

 

integrating the full capabilities of the Siri/Google Now voice OS UI into a comprehensive "virtual" car system is quite straightforward in concept, yes, because the bluetooth setups are there now. but an entirely new touchscreen UI layout specifically designed for a dashboard display - including also such specialized screen layout for every app it might run (starting with vehicle info apps from car makers and services apps like Sirius) - is what is needed that no one has done yet for iOS or droid.

 

so iOSC is basically reformatting a very simplified iPad touchscreen UI for this unique situation. no doubt some droid version will appear next year too ... even tho according to you, that should already exist now if Apple is "years behind."

 

but don't let rationale analysis get in the way of a good rant.


Edited by Alfiejr - 8/8/13 at 9:52am
post #45 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

I wanted to buy a Ford C-max hybrid, but the crappy Microsoft powered OS has stopped me , if only Ford had iOS coming, oh well

We were looking at the Ford SUV but I spent two minutes looking at there computer and said no thanks
post #46 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

I think this article shows how completely out of touch some Apple blogs and fans are. (Note: Am typing this on a 13" MBA and have an iPad mini and iPhone - and two Android phones - next to me, so am impartial). For starters, there is nothing at all new or innovative about any of the above. Since a few years ago, I have been able to dock even my most basic Android phone in my car (at the time, a Motorola DEFY running a very old version of Android) and do the following:

1. Issue spoken commands to do pretty much all I can do today with Siri.
2. Navigate to must about anywhere on Earth, with Google's excellent satnav killing Google Maps/Turn by turn directions
3. Obtain location info, such as nearest ATM, gas station etc.

Further, the navigation interface is not from above, but is down at street level like a regular satnav, so it's easy comprehend. Looking at maps from above is confusing because you lose your orientation, but that's another discussion. (I'm aware that Apple maps can do street level views now, but it couldn't even last year.)

I hate to say it, but Apple are years behind. Google Now today can do a huge amount, and lot of it will work in any car, simply by mounting your device above the dash.

I still think Apple made a huge error giving Google maps the boot - they have a lot of catching up to do, in particular in the place naming accuracy and Street View department.

You are forgetting Google was trying to hold out features from iOS that were readily available on their pOS. Apple absolutely did the right thing by booting them and going solo.
post #47 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliban10 View Post

Perhaps one of the Home buttons means drive to my Home.

Actually, I thought the same!

You wouldn't want that if your car gets stolen.

post #48 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

I think this article shows how completely out of touch some Apple blogs and fans are. (Note: Am typing this on a 13" MBA and have an iPad mini and ..... ..... blah blah

Stopped reading.....

post #49 of 75
Really nice detective work
post #50 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

(Note: Am typing this on a 13" MBA and have an iPad mini and iPhone - and two Android phones - next to me, so am impartial).

No one gives a frick. If you can't make your argument without this, you can't make your argument. You're hardly impartial.
Quote:
For starters, there is nothing at all new or innovative about any of the above.

Which you know, because not only have you seen this device in person, you've used it to the fullness of its capabilities.

Come on, man.
Quote:
I hate to say it, but Apple are years behind.

I hate to say it, but they're not even in vehicles, so no, they're not. They've neither won nor lost. They're watching the game be played. 1oyvey.gif

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #51 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post

You are forgetting Google was trying to hold out features from iOS that were readily available on their pOS. Apple absolutely did the right thing by booting them and going solo.

How could Google how back features on a app that wasn't their's?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #52 of 75
Nicely done, DED! I'm pretty impressed this time 1wink.gif
Wonder though if someone's going to be forbidden sushi at Apple for leaking information 1biggrin.gif

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #53 of 75
Perhasps the virtual home button on iOS in the Car is pointing to a larger screen iPhone 5S with a virtual on screen home button to compete with Moto X and Nexus 4.
post #54 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerms1998 View Post

Perhasps …compete with Moto X and Nexus 4.

Nope. Whatever it is, nope.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #55 of 75

Isn't the physical Home Button for use if you have not paired an iPhone with the car system. People without an iPhone can use the basic built in features. The Home Button is the same as the Menu button in BMW. I still don't like the idea of having to reach to touch the screen. In the BMW I like having the iDrive right next to my hand in the center console. In a small car it is not much a stretch but in a big SUV you'd have to reach a lot further to touch the screen.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #56 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If it's integrated directly into the car rather than over the iPhone there may not be any way to disable detailed default location tracking that comes with iOS7. Apparently the service would be integrated with car navigation that requires location on, correct. Just as with Google there might be more than a few iOS users uncomfortable with anyone, even Apple, tracking and recording exactly where they've been, when, and how long they stayed there.

As only one of a couple reasons I personally think any dashboard services would come from the iPhone and not built in to the system itself.

EDIT: for those who don't know what is meant by the default location tracking there's a discussion here:
http://board.protecus.de/t42771.htm#360301

By the way I meant to ask, what do you guys over there at Google think about Scamsung starting to push their own non Android OS? Does this worry Google at all? Just curious.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #57 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oflife View Post


I still think Apple made a huge error giving Google maps the boot - they have a lot of catching up to do, in particular in the place naming accuracy and Street View department.

Here... Compare Apple 3D Flyover with Google Street View using Disneyland Paris:


Apple Maps 3D Zoomed Out -- to 3D Panned and Zoomed In (and everything in between)





Google Maps 2D Zoomed Out -- to Street View (and nothing in between)



Edited by Dick Applebaum - 8/8/13 at 2:26pm
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #58 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post

You are forgetting Google was trying to hold out features from iOS that were readily available on their pOS. Apple absolutely did the right thing by booting them and going solo.

How could Google how back features on a app that wasn't their's?

C'Mon... Quit playing dumb... You know full well that Google supplied the backend data to Apple's maps app through iOS 5.

I read somewhere that Google was paying Apple to use Google's backend data.

I don't think anyone but the principals involved know what really happened... But most suspect that Google offered Apple the data for new features, like TBT, in exchange Google wanted to track users and/or include ads...

They couldn't resolve their differences and so Apple rewrote the Apple Maps app to get backend data from other sources.

It was a bit of a screwup for Apple... but they've recovered pretty well.

I suggest that it was a major screwup for Google... Google "owned" mapping on iOS -- now, they are an also-ran.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #59 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

I think this article shows how completely out of touch some Apple blogs and fans are. (Note: Am typing this on a 13" MBA and have an iPad mini and iPhone - and two Android phones - next to me, so am impartial). 

 

I am not typing this on my Galaxy S4 because it's a lagging piece of sh*t and I find it annoying!

 

There, am I doing it right?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #60 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

C'Mon... Quit playing dumb... You know full well that Google supplied the backend data to Apple's maps app through iOS 5.

I read somewhere that Google was paying Apple to use Google's backend data.

I don't think anyone but the principals involved know what really happened... But most suspect that Google offered Apple the data for new features, like TBT, in exchange Google wanted to track users and/or include ads...

They couldn't resolve their differences and so Apple rewrote the Apple Maps app to get backend data from other sources.

It was a bit of a screwup for Apple... but they've recovered pretty well.

I suggest that it was a major screwup for Google... Google "owned" mapping on iOS -- now, they are an also-ran.

What was to stop Apple from making their own TBT using Google's data? They're doing it now using data from another source.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #61 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


What was to stop Apple from making their own TBT using Google's data? They're doing it now using data from another source.

 

Google.

 

Google rewrote their terms to be unacceptable to Apple.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #62 of 75
Exactly.

My point was that cars have allowed to-way interaction with ios devices for years. But it has been up to the car manufacturers to make det interface, and graphics. They are taking it one step further now, providing apples interface to take over the whole screen realestate instead of the auto manufactureres (often) crappy interface.
post #63 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

... Since a few years ago, I have been able to dock even my most basic Android phone in my car (at the time, a Motorola DEFY running a very old version of Android) and do the following:

1. Issue spoken commands to do pretty much all I can do today with Siri.
2. Navigate to must about anywhere on Earth, with Google's excellent satnav killing Google Maps/Turn by turn directions
3. Obtain location info, such as nearest ATM, gas station etc.
...

Yes, well; it doesn't matter if you have been able to do it. Have your mother and father been able to do it? And can you do it wirelessly and automatic?

If Apple can deliver this experience, so that when your mother gets into her car with phone in pocket. All these things just work, it will truly be a revolution. Nerd ready proof of concept, and granma friendly is two different things.

Apple makes (cutting edge) technology available to grandmothers.
Android makes bleeding edge technology available to nerds.
post #64 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I read somewhere that Google was paying Apple to use Google's backend data.

 

Never heard that one.  Seems backward.

 

Perhaps you're thinking of the fact that Google paid to be the default search engine?

post #65 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Google.

Google rewrote their terms to be unacceptable to Apple.

That was a few years after.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #66 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


That was a few years after.

 

A few years after Apple dumped them last year?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #67 of 75

AI reports this afternoon:

 

Google now popping up new banner ads in iPhone Google Maps searches

 

hey, won't that be really great on your car's nav screen?! i bet they will even be location targeted too! all you Google Maps fans here must be ecstatic.

 

and then Google Now will even sing merchants' jingles to go with them!!

 

boy, i don't think Apple will EVER catch up with all that!

post #68 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

A few years after Apple dumped them last year?

Using Google's data since 2007, and TBT on Android in 2009. It was Apple's app the entire time, so what prevented them from using it for their own TBT
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #69 of 75
iOS in the Car for Camaro and C7 Stingray please!
post #70 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Using Google's data since 2007, and TBT on Android in 2009. It was Apple's app the entire time, so what prevented them from using it for their own TBT

 

GoTo

 

Rinse, repeat.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #71 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

GoTo

Rinse, repeat.

Well when did Google rewrite their terms or do you want to continue going in circles?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #72 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

"Apple simply had more available to show than it intended to."

That evidence doesn't mean it was more than a mockup. That phrase applies equally if they simply mocked up more stuff than the ended up talking about.

Anyway--looking forward to next year! Apple Maps has been good to me, and I want it big on my dash!

 

Apple has a lot more built into iOS 7 then they've announced to date. Some hints of it has been unearthed by the beta testers, but some of it has not yet been added to the beta code. 

 

Where some companies "extend and embrace" Apple has the tendency to "leap out of nowhere and implement."

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #73 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Well when did Google rewrite their terms or do you want to continue going in circles?

 

Gee, I don't know, why don't you use Bing?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #74 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Gee, I don't know, why don't you use Bing?

You think Apple used Google's API or did they make there own since it was their app?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #75 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

[...]
Furthermore, unlike Google, Apple's business model doesn't require them to track your every move.
 

Whether Apple's business model requires them to track you is beside the point. What matters is whether they are in fact tracking you, and if so, what you as the user can do about it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Exclusive: Hidden contacts revealed within Apple's iOS in the Car