or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Cook being pushed to innovate by board of directors, FOX report says

Apple's Cook being pushed to innovate by board of directors, FOX report says - Page 2

post #41 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I know it's probably too much to ask, but why can't a company sitting on $145 billion spend a bit more on R&D than say most other companies on the entire planet. All Apple needs to do is focus on just a couple of technologies. Apple is already working on processors which is great but it really needs to sink more money into battery technology because mobile devices depend so heavily on batteries.

If Apple were to develop the tech for batteries that lasted just 15% longer than any other battery with similar charging properties for a particular size, it would almost be unbeatable as long as they could protect it with patents. It would be a very stealthy type of improvement and it would be useful in practically every product Apple makes. It would practically put Apple at the forefront of every mobile company around.

Second time today I've read you quivering with lust over Apple's cash hoard. You just can't get that out of your mind, can you?

I have it from a reliable source that Apple is spending millions on battery R&D, as well as billions on display evolution, billions more on chip and memory development, and billions on a secret alternative communication network, right in plain view, but no one realizes what they are doing.

Least of all you, who will be one of the last to realize what they're doing. Their R&D is mainly invested in making products that the world hasn't seen before and that no one else can really copy well, because of the way they work, and the way people love them. You and your Wall Street philistine friends are oblivious to the intangible artfulness in any of Apple's products.

I wish you would flip the record over and let us hear the "B" side just once. Oh, and apologies to the Philistines.
post #42 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Second time today I've read you quivering with lust over Apple's cash hoard. You just can't get that out of your mind, can you?

I have it from a reliable source that Apple is spending millions on battery R&D, as well as billions on display evolution, billions more on chip and memory development, and billions on a secret alternative communication network, right in plain view, but no one realizes what they are doing.

Least of all you, who will be one of the last to realize what they're doing. Their R&D is mainly invested in making products that the world hasn't seen before and that no one else can really copy well, because of the way they work, and the way people love them. You and your Wall Street philistine friends are oblivious to the intangible artfulness in any of Apple's products.

I wish you would flip the record over and let us hear the "B" side just once. Oh, and apologies to the Philistines.

You are addressing an agent provocateur, save your breath. But well said any way.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #43 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Roberts View Post

I think what drives these pundits crazy is that fact that Apple is one of the most respected and admired brands in the world, but have the restraint to only focus on a few core products.

I think what is driving them NUTS is that TC has double-downed on security and they have nothing to report on...so they are now making things up.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #44 of 161
Fox News journalism at its worst. This is just a story to spur ratings and attract hits to their website. This guy knows as much about what goes on in Apple board meetings that I do.
post #45 of 161
So does everyone believe that Apple is still innovating?
post #46 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That said, I can't say that SJ did a particularly good job on the Board front: a bunch of mediocrities, at best.

I don't know...SJ did push for Eric Schmidt to be on the board. You remember him; he's the guy that woke up on night and said, "Holy shit, I just dreamed of a new cell phone without any buttons! I must get my engineers on it right away!"

post #47 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I don't know...SJ did push for Eric Schmidt to be on the board. You remember him; he's the guy that woke up on night and said, "Holy shit, I just dreamed of a new cell phone without any buttons! I must get my engineers on it right away!"

http://www.law360.com/articles/114713/schmidt-s-exit-won-t-end-ftc-probe-of-apple-google
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #48 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Butt-the-eff-out. I call BS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I don't think the board would talk to anyone on Apple matters outside of board meetings.

The Apple board of directors leaking to Fox news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The Board has complete confidence in Apple's time line. This is BS.

From someone who'd be aware in ways that none of us (including Fox) could hope to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

It was actually the Samsung Board of Directors that have been pressuring Tim to innovate.

They desperately need their next new, 'innovative' idea, as you can only make a phone screen so big before it becomes a failing tablet...

1wink.gif

lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

Trick question!

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #49 of 161
All joking aside, I seriously hope that TC and Apple's Board shrug off this laughable bit of tripe, and not to do an HP: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hewlett-Packard_spying_scandal

That would be a disaster.
post #50 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Apple Board of Directors has concerns about the company's recent lack of innovation, says FOX Business News, and is reportedly leaning on chief executive Tim Cook to rectify the situation.

Gasparino

Citing to reliable sources, FBN senior correspondent Charlie Gasparino reports Apple's board is "deeply concerned" that a perceived dry period of unique products could hurt the company, and is applying pressure on Cook to innovate at a faster pace.

"What have they had lately? They have had the iPad, they've had a few other things, but they don't have anything innovating from what came from Steve Jobs," Gasparino said. "And that concern is basically manifesting into pressure on Tim Cook to basically innovate - do something fast."

While the Cupertino, Calif., company continues to unveil product refreshes at a regular pace, its last "innovative" device launch was the iPad mini in October of 2012.

Gasparino was quick to point out that Cook is not in danger of losing his job, but at the same time cautioned board room-level tensions sometimes lead to an executive leadership shakeup.

The FBN report seems somewhat premature considering Apple's usual release schedule, which saw the first iPod unveiled in 2001, the iPhone in 2007, the iPad in 2010 and the iPad mini in 2012. In the Mac space, Apple's MacBook Air debuted in 2008, while the Retina display MacBook Pro hit the market in 2012.

As for what Apple has in the pipeline, rumors are rampant as usual. In the near term, many expect a next-generation "iPhone 5" with an integrated fingerprint sensor and a low-cost "iPhone Lite" handset to debut as early as September. Some also see a next-generation iPad mini with Retina display and fifth-generation iPad to hit shelves this year.

In addition, the company showed off a much anticipated Mac Pro, with a radically redesigned case and cutting edge internals. Apple has yet to announce a timeline for the computer's release.

Future prospects include a new cable service-connected Apple TV product and a wearable computing device dubbed the "iWatch," both of which may see release in 2014.

Simply Fox "psuedo news" rubbish.  Don't even bother to give it any consideration.

post #51 of 161
Tim Cook: "Spell 'innovation' for me"

Journalist: "I_N_N_O_F_V_A_T_I_O_N"

Tim Cook: "There's no 'F' in innovation!"

Journalist: ....
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #52 of 161

Fair and balanced...

Fox business News...

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

Any questions?

Edited by herbapou - 8/8/13 at 5:47pm
post #53 of 161
Well, the iPhone -- that was *doggone* good. The iPad .. *killed* the netbook market. Those are both pretty big. I think the fingerprint thing is going to be huge -- ha ha, not talking Wookie 'giant fingers' huge. Also the cheap iPhone will help. What are the guys in Taiwan going to be doing? Designing fab robots?

Anyway, this was not about the board being worried about TC. This was a concern about "perception". So ... this dogCow is going back to sleep, dudes!
post #54 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The board has access to Apple's future pipeline (gives Eric Schmidt evil stare). They know what's coming.

I'd imagine that all future changes to both the members of the board and the status thereof will be met with intense scrutiny such that if they even get anywhere near an industry in which Apple exists they'll be outed immediately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger2 View Post

I CANNOT understand why it should take so long to UPDATE a THUNDERBOLT DISPLAY PLEASE!

Because it's going retina.
Quote:

Yes.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #55 of 161
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
post #56 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Fair and balanced...

Fox business News...
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

Any questions?

Fox News reminds me of a dirty old circus I was dragged to as a kid.
post #57 of 161

Next innovation will be 3-D printed entry level phones :P 

post #58 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcgersh View Post

FYI Apple investors... this is the same guy that CLAIMED to be a Pulitzer Nominee in his bio and then had to drop the "nominee" part of his bio after being outed as being Full of Sh*t.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/also-not-pulitzer-prize-nominee-charles-gasparino-fox-business-848286

Wait, when did O'Reilly start doing business "reporting"?
post #59 of 161

If I was the EP of this show, I would be writing my letter of resignation, especially after reading all these comments.

post #60 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMarc43 View Post

If I was the EP of this show, I would be writing my letter of resignation, especially after reading all these comments.

LOL someone is going to quite due to a message board, get real! 

post #61 of 161
Quote:

FYI Apple investors... this is the same guy that CLAIMED to be a Pulitzer Nominee in his bio and then had to drop the "nominee" part of his bio after being outed as being Full of Sh*t.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/also-not-pulitzer-prize-nominee-charles-gasparino-fox-business-848286

Wow 1oyvey.gif

He just flat-out lied.
post #62 of 161
Right, because Fox "news" is such a credible source of anything other than right-wing hot air and double-speak%u2026 psh!

And, in typical fashion every word there is 'hearsay'. Leaning on Cook to "innovate faster"? Wow, the ignorance on display there is stunning. "Innovation" doesn't appear on a schedule. R&D either has breakthroughs, or it doesn't. You can't conjure the stuff out of thin air. You just keep on researching and developing, and if something good happens, apply it.

And, in light of all the announcements, I'm wondering where the lack of progress and innovation is in the last year or so?

- The latest MacBook Air with its "All Day Battery" and other fairly significant upgrades.

- The iPad Mini and rumored successors

- The iPad 128GB Retina and rumored successors

- iPhone 5 successor: 5S? 5C? Both?

- The new Mac Pro (if that isn't solidly in the innovating column, then they are harboring unrealistic expectations).

- iOS 7, new "innovative features" and a major design upgrade. As Mr. Ive said, "a new beginning", promising much more to come.

- OS X Mavericks. Like in iOS 7, many incremental and sequential upgrades, and yet, those are no less innovative than some wildly jaw-dropping breakthrough might be.

Constant, almost "boring" progress, incremental improvements (promising stability and backward compatibility without constraining progress), manageable updates with minimal learning curve adjustments, these are how Apple - and most of us who depend on them - prefer to roll.

The rest is just hot air and supposition...
post #63 of 161
Quote:

I know it's probably too much to ask, but why can't a company sitting on $145 billion spend a bit more on R&D than say most other companies on the entire planet. All Apple needs to do is focus on just a couple of technologies. Apple is already working on processors which is great but it really needs to sink more money into battery technology because mobile devices depend so heavily on batteries.

If Apple were to develop the tech for batteries that lasted just 15% longer than any other battery with similar charging properties for a particular size, it would almost be unbeatable as long as they could protect it with patents. It would be a very stealthy type of improvement and it would be useful in practically every product Apple makes. It would practically put Apple at the forefront of every mobile company around.

They spend plenty on R&D. They just released an "All Day Battery" MacBook Air, without changing the form factor or weight. Partly due to improved efficiency CPUs (Haswell) but not only that. Battery tech itself played a part.

Apple has advanced their battery tech significantly over the past few years. Why do you think iPads run for 10+ hours while most of the competition is lucky to actually get their claimed 7 or 8 hours (if that?). 

You're preaching to the choir there, Mr. Odo.

post #64 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

To anyone that believes this Gasparino/Fox claptrap, I've got some beachfront property in Arizona to sell you.

What would these maroons call the new Mac Pro, for instance!? The quality of what passes off for 'news' has become really quite depressing. When I think it couldn't get any worse, it does.

With Fox "news" leading the way.

post #65 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Note View Post

Fox News journalism at its worst. This is just a story to spur ratings and attract hits to their website. This guy knows as much about what goes on in Apple board meetings that I do.

Sadly, this is probably Fox "journalism" at its best...

Wait. "Fox" and "journalism"… Those words don't even belong together!

post #66 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

And all it took was a few seconds to find this:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/04/24/apples-rd-expenses-surge-33-on-pace-to-top-4-billion-this-year

In all fairness, R&D expenditures is not the same thing as innovation.

Apple has revolutionized several industries while spending a lot less than the competition. You can's infer a 1:1 correlation.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #67 of 161
Quote:

No, no… we all believe they've decided to just rest on their collective laurels, put out nothing new, milk the updates for all they're worth and once that runs its course, sell Apple off to the highest bidder.

Anything but innovate! My GOD that's just such a waste of perfectly good time and money! Who would do such a thing? Certainly not APPLE of all companies.

No, we think Apple has completely put on the Innovation Brakes, shuttered the Innovation Labs, shut down the Innovation Engine, and is coasting in for a long, slow, painful landing. 

How about you?

(Oh! And please ignore the new Mac Pro design, the iOS 7 feature set, the OS X Mavericks feature set, the latest MacBook Air improvements, the rumored enhancements to the iPad and iPhone lines, and definitely ignore the rumors of something "unexpected" appearing out of left field. We wouldn't want to spoil our "Apple can't innovate" meme…)

[EDIT]

Oh! And also ignore the recent updates to the "iWork on iCloud" beta and the new "Logic Pro X" releases. Move along please, no innovation to see there!

Edited by tribalogical - 8/8/13 at 7:27pm
post #68 of 161
Shame on AI for giving the moronic scumbags at Fox a headline on this site, especially from this clown! Have you no shame?
post #69 of 161
Apple doesn't throw stuff at the wall to see what sticks (in public). They do all of that behind the scenes and only release products when they're ready and products they think people will want to buy. Other companies flood the market with products (whether people want them or not) and call it innovation.
post #70 of 161

FOX New has NO credibility whatsoever.  They are completely sensationalist, talking heads with no intellectual dialog.

Take a look at when the iPhone was announced... January 2007.  Take a look at when the original iPad was announced... January 2010.  The Macbook Air is eating other laptop's for lunch.  What day is it? Yes, it's August 2013... that means Apple is right on track, if not *slightly* behind on their "innovation" curve.  now if they don't do something big in September, it would be disappointing. BUT... coming out with a low cost iPhone may not be super cool, but it means gobs of marketshare.

Look FOX, you couldn't innovate your ass out of a corner.  Apple does creativity at it's own pace (all creativity takes time).  It's also not about to announce something without also releasing it in less than a month.  If they did, there would be a thousand lazy, copying companies (Samsung, cough, cough) out to wholesale copy their stuff.  Apple is going to hold their cards and then lay them on the table. That's what they do.

If you don't like that, go invest in Microsoft, you stupid retards.

post #71 of 161
the Innovation elephant in the room is OS X Mavericks…. It is lean and mean, very fast, and low power -- my iMac 27 is like a brand new machine with faster CPU, GPU and more, faster RAM -- and all I did was install a new OS!
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 8/8/13 at 7:53pm
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #72 of 161
Quote:

Apple spends what it needs to to move as fast as it can. Spending more would just waste money.
Regarding batteries, apple is better off being able to pick the best available option. If they start developing their own, the divisions within apple would feel compelled to use it
post #73 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Quote:

Wow 1oyvey.gif

He just flat-out lied.

O'Reilly claimed to have won the Pulitzer. Turned out it was a Peabody. Seems like Fox gets all the Pulitzer wannabes.
post #74 of 161

BS. Apple has come out with innovative products every 3-4 years. It's scheduled. They are working on car stereos. That alone is HUGE. If Apple can come out with a double din iOS unit in 2014, it will forever change the auto and car stereo industry. I have a 2010 Dodge RAM that has the POS uConnect. If Apple came out with an iOS unit to replace it for $399 I would buy it in a second.

post #75 of 161
Did this guy have a source for his story?!
post #76 of 161
Funny what the debate about whether this is true or not...

knowing full well the fragile state Apple's image is in the "media" would ANY board member implicitly leak ANY information to ANYONE knowing that suspicion would immediately be put on a select few...in fact statements like this could could have serious consequences.

Summing it up -- the anti Apple "lack of innovation" mantra is way old news - right?! Any idiot like this one "could" have fabricated this lie easily..

But... The fact is... It has been a very long period of something new this year - since the iPad itself wasn't refreshed as usual in Feb/Mar...

Am quite confident that they are aware that there has been a drought in the marketplace - re Apple... But...but... I sincerely think the retooling of their management etc in the wake of Steve's dimise is just now ramping up... The new Apple so to speak... iOS 7... Apple TV.... Read between the lines Apple TV's new functionality will blow the doors off its businesses -- why? Because it's going to revolutionize the industry... How? I doubt PCs will be needed much longer -- as the TV set will officially become the all in one device in the home.. I'm wrong? Really? I want a showing of hands - how many of you have greatly reduced your desktop PC use as a result of mobile devices???!!! See, I'm right👅 Apple TV is their next BIG thing... Mark my words...
post #77 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You are addressing an agent provocateur, save your breath. But well said any way.

I know, appreciate the advice. My paid-poster scan of C.O. turns up negative. I think he's actually for real, but that's just my judgment. So I enjoy trying to insert a sliver of self-doubt under his fingernails.

If I thought he was one of our 10 cents a word trolls, I wouldn't bother.
post #78 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I know, appreciate the advice. My paid-poster scan of C.O. turns up negative. I think he's actually for real, but that's just my judgment. So I enjoy trying to insert a sliver of self-doubt under his fingernails.

If I thought he was one of our 10 cents a word trolls, I wouldn't bother.

I think he's more of an onion.com styled provocateur than a troll type provocateur, although he does occasionally lean more towards one than the other.

Either way, a provocateur nonetheless. He does provide regular entertainment value though, you must admit...

post #79 of 161

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonl View Post

O'Reilly claimed to have won the Pulitzer. Turned out it was a Peabody. Seems like Fox gets all the Pulitzer wannabes.

From this page: http://peabodyawards.com/mission/

The Award is determined by one criterion – “Excellence.”

And you say Bill O'Reilly actually won a Peabody award?

Mr. Peabody was probably rolling over in his grave the day that happened. 

post #80 of 161
@tribalogical
Absolutely. People who watch "professional" wrestling probably feel the same about the hooded villain, if they still do that sort of thing, when he shows up at the ring. I always like to read a crunchy Constable Odo post. Like I imagine fried grasshoppers are when you bite into them.

The others we have here just piss me off no end. Like you say, Odo is our Onion troll.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Cook being pushed to innovate by board of directors, FOX report says