or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung clone of Apple's Passbook hits Google Play for some Galaxy devices

Samsung clone of Apple's Passbook hits Google Play for some Galaxy devices

post #1 of 95
Samsung's answer to Apple's Passbook feature has arrived on the Google Play Store for Android, giving select Galaxy device owners the ability to store tickets, coupons, and more.

Samsung Wallet hit the Google Play Store on Thursday and bears a strong resemblance to the Passbook feature Apple includes on iOS. The app was announced in beta for developers back in February, but it has only just now made it to the Play Store. It is compatible with the Galaxy S3, S4, Note, and Note 2.

Like Apple's Passbook, Samsung Wallet allows users to store and manage tickets, coupons, boarding passes, and membership cards. It also allows users to set time and location-based reminders to show tickets.

Initial supporters for Samsung Wallet include Walgreens, Major League Baseball, Expedia.com, Booking.com, Hotels.com, and Lufthansa in the United States.

The app raised eyebrows at its debut due to its striking resemblance to Apple's Passbook feature. Samsung even used a similar app icon when initially showing off the app. The two companies are engaged in a number of patent infringement suits in which Apple alleges that Samsung has copied not only the physical look and feel of its iPhone and iPad, but also the iOS software powering those devices.

Since Passbook's debut, it has gone on to become quite popular in a trial run at Major League Baseball stations, with some 13 MLB stadiums accepting Passbook at their ticket gates this season. It has also seen wide support from Starbucks, Fandango, Amtrak, and a number of airlines.
post #2 of 95

In yo' face Apple- In yo' face! 

(cue in Stewie Griffin)

Edited by pazuzu - 8/9/13 at 7:24am

Where's the new Apple TV?

Where's the new Apple TV?
post #3 of 95
Hasn't Samsung heard that Android is more feature-rich than iOS? They don't need to do this, Android is ahead and iOS is playing catchup. These features must already be in there somewhere, just look in the filesystem.
post #4 of 95
Samsung may be the best followers in tech. Sure it may not be ethical to blatantly copy a companies every move, but they are making profits. The court's move way to slow to stop them and the patent system is a joke.

If you can't afford Apple, Samesung will probably make a decent knock off product and eventually they will try to incorporate Apple's features as well.
post #5 of 95
Doesn't Sammy know, NFC is the big thing. /s
post #6 of 95
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #7 of 95

"Samsung even used a similar app icon when initially showing off the app." 

This is kind of standard practice really.  When everyone in your target audience already knows your a copyist, (I mean that's why they are buying your products in the first place), you need to let everyone know quickly and directly which thing, this new thing is a copy of.  Once that's established, you can respond to the inevitable letter from the lawyers of the company whose IP you are copying, and change it just enough to avoid prosecution.  

It's kind of like a legal way to make an actual public announcement that you are copying this or that feature or product, without the legal liability of admitting same.  You often get some free advertising in the form of shocked articles from tech journalists on the web etc. as well.  

post #8 of 95

Quote:
The app raised eyebrows at its debut due to its striking resemblance to Apple's Passbook feature.

It would have been a surprise only if it did not resemble Apple's passbook.

post #9 of 95
Innovation! /s
post #10 of 95
I wonder why they bothered putting it in Google play store if it's only meant for galaxy series.
Might aswell have bundled it with an OS upgrade.
post #11 of 95
Sheesh the state of Google play is funny.
You ll find apps on there that isn't compatible with your handset even if it's the latest and greatest flagship HTC phone, coz it's made to run on Samsung phones. So eventually you'll end up seeing 25 different passbook apps from every other vendor.
post #12 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Doesn't Sammy know, NFC is the big thing. /s

They probably know as much as most of their customers.  NFC? Huh?  What's that?  Most of the Android phone users I know didn't know what NFC was, what it stood for, what it did and if it was in their phone, so obviously it wasn't a reason they bought the product.  Typically for Android users they buy the product because it's cheap or it has a big screen.  

post #13 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post

Innovation! /s

Samesung's like hell with innovation we tried it with S4 retina tracking and that Jedi air touch no ones buying it. Let's stick with our true strengths cloning !

Only a matter of time before they go to the car companies asking them to implement Samsung in the car feature.
post #14 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

You ll find apps on there that isn't compatible with your handset even if it's the latest and greatest flagship HTC phone, coz it's made to run on Samsung phones. So eventually you'll end up seeing 25 different passbook apps from every other vendor.

I don't think you're offered apps that won't work on your particular Android device. Now if you're not signed in and just browsing around or don't own an Android device in the first place then you can see every app there is.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #15 of 95
Shamescum did it again!
iMac i7
iMac i7
post #16 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

They probably know as much as most of their customers.  NFC? Huh?  What's that?  Most of the Android phone users I know didn't know what NFC was, what it stood for, what it did and if it was in their phone, so obviously it wasn't a reason they bought the product.  Typically for Android users they buy the product because it's cheap or it has a big screen.  

Oh dint you see the kids bump there phones to transfer files using NFC ?
They'll end up having a good work out if they had to share files with 10 people. It's like going back to the mail man delivering letters days. Walk all the way and bump!
post #17 of 95
No Apple patents on this one?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #18 of 95
Quote:

Samesung's like hell with innovation we tried it with S4 retina tracking and that Jedi air touch no ones buying it. Let's stick with our true strengths cloning !

Only a matter of time before they go to the car companies asking them to implement Samsung in the car feature.

I ran into one fellow that had a Droid and he was showing me that face recognition to replace a password log in.  he said it didn't work when he grew a beard.  It was funny or if he shaved his beard.  Plus it takes a while to recognize.

I think a lot of these so-called cool features that Android phones have are more like a cool demo feature, but always a "I use the feature daily and can't live without it" feature.

I do think that having IR to replace a remote control is useful.  That's something I would use if it was built in and they had all of the codes for the stereo/audio equipment I used.  That's a useful feature.  But the hand free control?   I might use that feature once in a while.  Maybe.  The bump feature?  I think that's kinda dumb.

I think these guys use the shotgun approach when it comes to adding features, because once in a while they might actually hit the target.  But that's most technology companies.

Some features companies add are sometimes not very well implemented OR they might be a little ahead of their time and it needs some more development time to make it a daily use feature.  I've seen that a lot.

post #19 of 95
The iHaters claim that Apple is doomed.

Then, what will Samsung use for "inspiration" ?
post #20 of 95
Anyone knows the idiot at google who came up with "google play" name?!!

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

post #21 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

No Apple patents on this one?

What's to patent? The prior art is legion. Anyone would think Apple has invented something new here. Japan has had NFC electronic payments via phone for nearly a decade.
Quote:
One Japanese airline lets passengers use the wallet phone to speed up check-ins at airports and next year you'll be able to use the phones to begin paying for train rides and video rentals.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/wireless/phones/2004-07-22-wallet-phone_x.htm

That's 2004 people.
Quote:
TOKYO — As it is, you don't leave home without it. In a world of cashless payment, why not simply make your cell phone a wallet? Japan has long been phasing out the hassle of coins and bills with microchip-laden "smart cards," which let people make electronic payments for everything from lunch to the daily commute.
By putting theP506iC mobile phone to the Edy card machine, you can pay for coffee, store purchases, movie tickets and dinner bills with a flick of the handset.
Shizuo Kambayashi, AP

But even smart cards could be on their way out, their plastic presence overtaken by virtual-wallet technology now available in the everyday cell phone.

Other nations, led by South Korea, already have so-called mobile commerce payment schemes in place that let people punch keys on their cell phones so that the devices trigger transactions.

Samsung have been at this a lot longer than Apple:
Quote:
News
Samsung to add payment function to cell phones
By Sumner Lemon, IDG News Service
August 31, 2004 09:47 AM ET

IDG News Service - Samsung and Koninklijke Philips Tuesday said they are teaming up to incorporate Near-Field Communication technology in future cell-phone models from Samsung, giving users the ability to use their phones to make payments.

That's only 8 years before Apple came up with Passbook.

So who's the copycat?
post #22 of 95

Can't Apple just certify Samsung as an "official" rip-off?  Maybe even start an ad campaign based on that.

post #23 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

That's 2004 people.

So who's the copycat?

Passbook doesn't use NFC and why hasn't Sammy released its "passbook" with its first iPhone clone?
post #24 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Phil View Post

Samsung may be the best followers in tech. Sure it may not be ethical to blatantly copy a companies every move, but they are making profits. The court's move way to slow to stop them and the patent system is a joke.

If you can't afford Apple, Samesung will probably make a decent knock off product and eventually they will try to incorporate Apple's features as well.

I think I have read from AI that Samsung R&D use iPhones instead of Androids. 

post #25 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Passbook doesn't use NFC and why hasn't Sammy released its "passbook" with its first iPhone clone?

Possibly because Visa, their ilk and the merchant infrastructure weren't ready?, I don't know, but Samsung were working with Visa on this in 2011 or earlier so it is a bit rich claiming wallet is a clone of Passbook when the evidence is clear Samsung have been on this road a lot longer than Apple.

Samsung and Visa join forces to enable NFC mobile payment at 2012 Olympics
By Richard Lai posted Apr 1st, 2011
post #26 of 95
Quote:

Possibly because Visa, their ilk and the merchant infrastructure weren't ready?, I don't know, but Samsung were working with Visa on this in 2011 or earlier so it is a bit rich claiming wallet is a clone of Passbook when the evidence is clear Samsung have been on this road a lot longer than Apple.

You may be right.  But Samsung engineers probably don't know how to put it in an app until they saw Apple's Passbook.

post #27 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

You may be right.  But Samsung engineers probably don't know how to put it in an app until they saw Apple's Passbook.

Of course not, they can develop their own complete phone OS - Bada - but they couldn't make an app. Makes sense.
post #28 of 95
Quote:

Of course not, they can develop their own complete phone OS - Bada - but they couldn't make an app. Makes sense.

And that's why Sammy is using Android. Wait a minute. Sammy can make an app but needs Apple to show them how to make it correctly.
post #29 of 95
Just another reason Samsung stinks. This is why I vowed never to buy a Samsung product again. Samsung is crazy for copying apple. I wish Apple was able to do something. Hopefully soon, we can move this company back to it's hometurf of South Korea and maybe eliminate it from North America. You big copycats... Come up with your own stinken ideas! Apple's already made half the things you have. iOS rules, Samsung and Android are a piece of junk. I hope iOS blows you all clean out of the water. I also hope apple sues you for everything you got Samsung.
post #30 of 95
Quote:

Not much different than carrier specific apps for iOS. Many people can't even install it as per the reviews. lol.gif
Edited by dasanman69 - 8/9/13 at 9:17am
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #31 of 95
Wow!!! Copy cats!! Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. Lol. Not in business though.

Now I have more stuff to throw at when I talk about smart with two of my android loving friends. They can't afford an iPhone and the screen is too small. Lol.

2010 15" MBP, iPhone 5 64GB, New iPad 64GB LTE, (2) ATV 2nd Gen

2010 15" MBP, iPhone 5 64GB, New iPad 64GB LTE, (2) ATV 2nd Gen

post #32 of 95
Quote:

Because this is why this app works just like Passbook.  If Passbook is the only way a software can do and Samsung has worked on it even longer than iPhone, why Samsung engineers can not finish it before the Passbook last year?

post #33 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I'm surprised they don't rename the company 'Gala', 'Fuji' or 'Granny Smith'!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #34 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'm surprised they don't rename the company 'Gala', 'Fuji' or 'Granny Smith'!

Or 'Ah-pull'
post #35 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I ran into one fellow that had a Droid and he was showing me that face recognition to replace a password log in.  he said it didn't work when he grew a beard.  It was funny or if he shaved his beard.  Plus it takes a while to recognize.

Plus how come the anti-fingerprint-reader trolls never say, "Now when thieves steal your phone they'll cut off your face!!!"? /s

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #36 of 95
Quote:

What's to patent? The prior art is legion. Anyone would think Apple has invented something new here. Japan has had NFC electronic payments via phone for nearly a decade.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/wireless/phones/2004-07-22-wallet-phone_x.htm

That's 2004 people.

So who's the copycat?

You can't be that dense. We're not talking about the GENERIC concept of mobile payments. We're talking about Samsung making their App LOOK LIKE Apple's passbook App instead of coming up with their own design.

Quote:

They can develop their own OS but they can't even design a few icons? Not just for Passbook but for the original Galaxy S (which totally ripped several icons from iOS).

post #37 of 95
Quote:

Quote:

I wonder why they bothered putting it in Google play store if it's only meant for galaxy series.
Might aswell have bundled it with an OS upgrade.

The reason they did it this way is free advertising to induce Google Play user with competitive phones to but Smarmy phones... "Gee, Smarmy does a better rip-off of iPhone apps than whoever..."
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #38 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

More like Apple put a spotlight on an old idea.

Digital wallets and pass books have been around for years.  Naturally, their icons often look similar, since they're supposed to be like a pocket or wallet.  

post #39 of 95
Quote:

oh my GOD enough with this bull*** narrative!!!

No-one is saying or even remotely implying that the CONCEPT of "mobile payments" are an original Apple idea enshrined for the first time ever in Passbook. NO. ONE.

We ARE saying that the method and application as APPLIED BY APPLE in its own unique way (and you cannot deny its approach on both the front and backends are in many ways novel) has been COPIED pretty much whole cloth.

But more to the point, and most specifically, we are talking about the CLONED USER INTERFACE. The most prevalent aspect of this "Samsung Clones Again" message.

Look at the application interfaces side by side. You cannot DENY that Samsung is copying the LOOK AND FEEL of Apple's design yet again. It was all over the news when it first surfaced.

That's the point.  AGAIN: No-one is claiming that Apple invented the concept of the "mobile payment" here. We are saying Samsung copied the PASSBOOK app. How it behaves, the UI and UX, the overall look and feel.

Use your eyes. What part of that do you not get?

post #40 of 95
Quote:

That's 2004 people.

So who's the copycat?

Honestly, I've not yet found a use case for Passbook. In fact, in cases involving ID or money, I tend to keep it analog.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Samsung clone of Apple's Passbook hits Google Play for some Galaxy devices
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung clone of Apple's Passbook hits Google Play for some Galaxy devices