or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung clone of Apple's Passbook hits Google Play for some Galaxy devices
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung clone of Apple's Passbook hits Google Play for some Galaxy devices - Page 2

post #41 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


Honestly, I've not yet found a use case for Passbook. In fact, in cases involving ID or money, I tend to keep it analog.


It has worked great for concert tickets and boarding passes

 

I just got back from vacation and a good percentage of the passengers were scanning their iphone's passbook app instead of having a paper boarding pass

post #42 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

They probably know as much as most of their customers.  NFC? Huh?  What's that?  Most of the Android phone users I know didn't know what NFC was, what it stood for, what it did and if it was in their phone, so obviously it wasn't a reason they bought the product.  Typically for Android users they buy the product because it's cheap or it has a big screen.  

Bingo! We have a winner!

NFC? meeeeh!!!

Samsung's claim to fame? Our phones are bigger than Apple's. Now move along folks. Nothing else to see.

post #43 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

 

More like Apple put a spotlight on an old idea.

 

Digital wallets and pass books have been around for years.  Naturally, their icons often look similar, since they're supposed to be like a pocket or wallet.  

 

 

Hold up there. "digital wallets" maybe, but NOT "digital passbooks" unless you can demonstrate that. More like hijacking Apple's name of choice to prove your point?

 

That's the equivalent of saying "touchpad tablets have been around for years, iPad isn't unique". And again, if it's all been done before, why no real market until the iPad? 

 

An "old idea" perhaps, but clearly since there has been no wide adoption of any single system, no-one has applied it right yet?

 

 

However, like I said in my post previous, no-one is claiming Apple invented the "mobile payments" concept. Do we have to go that far to rationalize every time Samsung CLONES an Apple product? In this case we are saying the UI + UX is closely based on Apple's design. Get it?

 

Similarities in icons are one thing. Have you looked at the two apps side by side? The icons? They go beyond even the "similarities" you highlight above.

 

These icon concepts are not the only issue.

 

Only you and cnocbui are trying to spin the context into being about the "original invention of the mobile payment concept"… it isn't. So stop.


Edited by tribalogical - 8/9/13 at 10:45am
post #44 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post


It has worked great for concert tickets and boarding passes

I just got back from vacation and a good percentage of the passengers were scanning their iphone's passbook app instead of having a paper boarding pass

That's good to know. I hope I can find some use for it.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #45 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

 

More like Apple put a spotlight on an old idea.

 

Digital wallets and pass books have been around for years.  Naturally, their icons often look similar, since they're supposed to be like a pocket or wallet.  

 


I am not talking about icons.  I am talking about how it works, the user interface. 

post #46 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


Honestly, I've not yet found a use case for Passbook. In fact, in cases involving ID or money, I tend to keep it analog.

 

You haven't received any Target or Starbucks gift cards (for example) then…?

 

I have, and use Passbook for those. It's pretty cool to whip out the phone to pay using the "digital cards". Not something I'd want attached to my bank account or identifiable sources though.

 

I'm not ready for that leap of faith yet...

post #47 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post


I am not talking about icons.  I am talking about how it works, the user interface. 

I believe you are referring to what they now call the "UX", or the user experience (something we used to simply call "usability").

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #48 of 95

Bloomberg reported this morning that

“Apple spent five years and $5 billion to develop a product and it was a revolutionary product,” said Apple lawyer William Lee of WilmerHale in Boston. “Samsung said, ‘We can copy it easily.’ They spent three months to bring a product to market.”

post #49 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


I believe you are referring to what they now call the "UX", or the user experience (something we used to simply call "usability").


So this is what UX stands for.  Thanks. 

post #50 of 95
Oh look, the new nexus 7's GPS stops working after a while. This is being reported on reputable sites. Should I submit news to AI, hoping for attribution? Or assume they'll never post it, which usually happens? GPSgate?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #51 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Oh look, the new nexus 7's GPS stops working after a while. This is being reported on reputable sites. Should I submit news to AI, hoping for attribution? Or assume they'll never post it, which usually happens? GPSgate?


I think this is one serious mistake of Apple for not putting a gps chip inside iPad wifi versions. 

post #52 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


Bravo!
post #53 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Oh look, the new nexus 7's GPS stops working after a while. This is being reported on reputable sites. Should I submit news to AI, hoping for attribution? Or assume they'll never post it, which usually happens? GPSgate?

 

I read about that too.  You know DED will be writing a piece about it.  He, and many of the people here, live for that type of story.

post #54 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

I think this is one serious mistake of Apple for not putting a gps chip inside iPad wifi versions. 

 

I think it is more of a mistake that it is not more prominently noted. It only appears on the last line of the specification chart which is about a mile long on the comparison page. And even then, one would have to notice the absence of GPS in the WiFi only model's specs. People probably buy the WiFi only model to save some money because they don't want another monthly data plan. The uses for GPS without a mobile plan are pretty limited anyway so I think Apple leaves out the GPS in part to differentiate the two models and help make the WiFi only model less expensive.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #55 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

No Apple patents on this one?

I thought they applied for the geo-fencing part. Probably had to wait for it to become publicly available to add it to a complaint. Also, not sure if Apple has any issued patents in this area. Patents take so long to go through, Samsung can copy it, advertise it, use it, and move on to something else before anything happens with the patents. This whole mess is showing how little protection you actually get from the patents.
post #56 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

 

I think it is more of a mistake that it is not more prominently noted. It only appears on the last line of the specification chart which is about a mile long on the comparison page. And even then, one would have to notice the absence of GPS in the WiFi only model's specs. People probably buy the WiFi only model to save some money because they don't want another monthly data plan. The uses for GPS without a mobile plan are pretty limited anyway so I think Apple leaves out the GPS in part to differentiate the two models and help make the WiFi only model less expensive.


The iPad wifi without gps becomes crippled with some important functionality.  One important example is geotagging.  The camera shots will be lacking location info outside of wifi range.  As a result, the places option in the Photo app will not show these photos.  This is giving a poor UX to me. 

 

I found my UXs with iPad is worse than the iPhone.  I think this is one important reason iPad sales dropped in Q2 while iPhone rose.


Edited by tzeshan - 8/9/13 at 11:25am
post #57 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

I read about that too.  You know DED will be writing a piece about it.  He, and many of the people here, live for that type of story.

Yup, being reported today. The typical "we're aware of the issue and working on a solution" that the other tech's fall back on of course. At least Google isn't denying the problem tho so perhaps a fix is in the works for those having the problem.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #58 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

The iPad wifi without gps becomes crippled with some important functionality.  One important example is geotagging.  The camera shots will be lacking location info outside of wifi range.  As a result, the places option in the Photo app will not show these photos.  This is giving a poor UX to me. 

I have cellular on all my iPads so I haven't taken any time to consider all the possible issues of not having GPS but I see your point in that case. Do you have an iPhone 5? It has a much better camera than the iPad.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #59 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The uses for GPS without a mobile plan are pretty limited anyway so I think Apple leaves out the GPS in part to differentiate the two models and help make the WiFi only model less expensive.

 

I use my tablet for navigation with a dedicated gps app with maps on device. Definitely a common use for GPS on tablets. I also use it for hiking in the backcountry with topographical maps. There I need gps but don't expect or need mobile data or wifi.

 

As an aside I can get a data connection on my wifi only tablet via phone tethering at any time and when I'm on the road the 2 are pretty much permanently paired via BT.

post #60 of 95

Yes, the message is clear: the Samsung experience is every bit as good as the iPhone experience. Customers should note Samsungs even have rubber banding! I know, that's a small point, but being a feature-complete-copy really drives the message home.

 

The Honorable Lucy Koh should note it, too.

post #61 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

As an aside I can get a data connection on my wifi only tablet via phone tethering at any time and when I'm on the road the 2 are pretty much permanently paired via BT.

Does you carrier charge extra for tethering? If so is the cost more or less than the minimum iPad data plan?

 

I bought an AT&T LTE wifi hot spot which is $50 a month for 5GB with $10/GB overage and no throttling. I use this just for my MBP when I'm at my vacation home which has no Internet or TV, just 4G, no LTE.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #62 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I have cellular on all my iPads so I haven't taken any time to consider all the possible issues of not having GPS but I see your point in that case. Do you have an iPhone 5? It has a much better camera than the iPad.


I use an iPhone 5.  I think the camera is not much better than the ipad 4 camera.  However, the camera app Apple provided on iPad is also worse than the one on iPhone. 

post #63 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

I read about that too.  You know DED will be writing a piece about it.  He, and many of the people here, live for that type of story.

LOL. Probably.
I've posted news before and it always goes into a black hole. Usually they ignore it.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #64 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Does you carrier charge extra for tethering? If so is the cost more or less than the minimum iPad data plan?

 

I bought an AT&T LTE wifi hot spot which is $50 a month for 5GB with $10/GB overage and no throttling. I use this just for my MBP when I'm at my vacation home which has no Internet or TV, just 4G, no LTE.

AT&T charges $20/month extra for iPhone tethering plan but the option extends the data plan by 2 GB to make a total of 5 GB per month (plus $10/GB overage). This is much cheaper than paying an extra $50/month to support a hotspot, not to mention avoiding the extra hardware cost and weight. Furthermore, if you receive an AT&T FAN discount, the tethering data plan may be discounted to where it costs only $8/month more or just over a quarter of a dollar per day (plus taxes and fees :-).

post #65 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Does you carrier charge extra for tethering? If so is the cost more or less than the minimum iPad data plan?

I bought an AT&T LTE wifi hot spot which is $50 a month for 5GB with $10/GB overage and no throttling. I use this just for my MBP when I'm at my vacation home which has no Internet or TV, just 4G, no LTE.
No, I tether through my personal nexus 4 phone for free. I keep my corporate iphone for strictly work stuff.
post #66 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post


No, I tether through my personal nexus 4 phone for free. I keep my corporate iphone for strictly work stuff.

Smart choice: iPhone for security.

post #67 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Smart choice: iPhone for security.

It's my company and my policy. :-)
post #68 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Bloomberg reported this morning that

“Apple spent five years and $5 billion to develop a product and it was a revolutionary product,” said Apple lawyer William Lee of WilmerHale in Boston. “Samsung said, ‘We can copy it easily.’ They spent three months to bring a product to market.”

 

Bloomberg has a few nice quotes from Apple/Samsung legal arguments going on today:

 

“If it’s so easy to design around and you’re not selling these, why is it any harm?” asked Circuit Judge Kathleen O’Malley.

 

or

 

“The owner of a trivial patent has no reasonable expectation of more than trivial compensation" from Google. The hypocrisy in that statement is unbelievable.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

 

I read about that too.  You know DED will be writing a piece about it.  He, and many of the people here, live for that type of story.

 

Don't need to. We all know the Nexus 7's are junk. The previous one had terrible quality - why should anyone think any differently of the new one?

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #69 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Yup, being reported today. The typical "we're aware of the issue and working on a solution" that the other tech's fall back on of course. At least Google isn't denying the problem tho so perhaps a fix is in the works for those having the problem.

Ha. Now will the update go through the carriers or directly by Google?
post #70 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Ha. Now will the update go through the carriers or directly by Google?

The Nexus 7 gets direct updates AFAIK. A lot of Nexus 7's don't have cell service to begin with.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #71 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Ha. Now will the update go through the carriers or directly by Google?

Google updates the Nexus devices directly except the phones on Verizon and Sprint.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #72 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

 

oh my GOD enough with this bull*** narrative!!!

 

No-one is saying or even remotely implying that the CONCEPT of "mobile payments" are an original Apple idea enshrined for the first time ever in Passbook. NO. ONE.

 

We ARE saying that the method and application as APPLIED BY APPLE in its own unique way (and you cannot deny its approach on both the front and backends are in many ways novel) has been COPIED pretty much whole cloth.

 

But more to the point, and most specifically, we are talking about the CLONED USER INTERFACE. The most prevalent aspect of this "Samsung Clones Again" message.

 

Look at the application interfaces side by side. You cannot DENY that Samsung is copying the LOOK AND FEEL of Apple's design yet again. It was all over the news when it first surfaced.

 

That's the point.  AGAIN: No-one is claiming that Apple invented the concept of the "mobile payment" here. We are saying Samsung copied the PASSBOOK app. How it behaves, the UI and UX, the overall look and feel.

 

Use your eyes. What part of that do you not get?

YOU ARE THE MAN!!! 

 

That's exactly the point of this.

2010 15" MBP, iPhone 5 64GB, New iPad 64GB LTE, (2) ATV 2nd Gen

Reply

2010 15" MBP, iPhone 5 64GB, New iPad 64GB LTE, (2) ATV 2nd Gen

Reply
post #73 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Or 'Ah-pull'

 

in Asia, that would be Ah-purr.

 

Velly velly crevel, Ahperr engineels!!!

post #74 of 95
Well 11 months after release Samsung releases copy.

I just note that on play store you have to have certain devices for certain features like this, in apple it is and always will be one app for all.
post #75 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Well 11 months after release Samsung releases copy.

I just note that on play store you have to have certain devices for certain features like this, in apple it is and always will be one app for all.

 

All iOS apps work across all versions of iOS and all versions of iPhones, and iPads?

post #76 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Well 11 months after release Samsung releases copy.

I just note that on play store you have to have certain devices for certain features like this, in apple it is and always will be one app for all.

Aren't there carrier specific apps that not everyone can use?
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #77 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

All iOS apps work across all versions of iOS and all versions of iPhones, and iPads?
all iPhone apps will work on the iPad. The vast majority of iPhone users are in iOS 5 or 6. The vast majority of apps work on 5 and/or 6.

If you bought an idevice within the past year or two, the apps will run. Can't say the same for android.
post #78 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

all iPhone apps will work on the iPad. The vast majority of iPhone users are in iOS 5 or 6. The vast majority of apps work on 5 and/or 6.

If you bought an idevice within the past year or two, the apps will run. Can't say the same for android.

So is it all or the vast majority? Pretty soon my 4th gen iPod Touch that I bought late last year won't be able to run at least 50% of the apps because it won't get iOS 7 and 50% of developers are going to require iOS 7.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #79 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

all iPhone apps will work on the iPad. The vast majority of iPhone users are in iOS 5 or 6. The vast majority of apps work on 5 and/or 6.

 

There's a lot of us who cannot use newer apps, because we're stuck on lower versions.  For example, 85% of all iPod touches ever sold cannot update to iOS 7.

 

And/or Apple deliberately leaves out something.  40% of all iOS devices ever sold, and 100% of all iPhone 4 and below cannot use Siri, even though they could before Apple bought it.  They're also left out of Airdrop and panoramic photos.

 

Personally, I find that my iPad 1 comes up with "iOS6 is required" when trying to download an app, just as much, if not more than, I find similar problems getting an app for my two and three year old Android tablets.

 

In the end, the important thing is whether or not a device can do what you want, not what numerical version they're on.  

 

(percentages as of June, the last time I checked)

post #80 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

all iPhone apps will work on the iPad. The vast majority of iPhone users are in iOS 5 or 6. The vast majority of apps work on 5 and/or 6.

There's a lot of us who cannot use newer apps, because we're stuck on lower versions.  
For example, 
85% of all iPod touches ever sold cannot update to iOS 7.

 
And/or Apple deliberately leaves out something.  
40% of all iOS devices ever sold, and 100% of all iPhone 4 and below cannot use Siri, even though they could before Apple bought it.  They're also left out of Airdrop and panoramic photos.


Personally, I find that my iPad 1 comes up with "iOS6 is required" when trying to download an app, just as much, if not more than, I find similar problems getting an app for my two and three year old Android tablets.

In the end, the important thing is whether or not a device can do what you want, not what numerical version they're on.  


(percentages as of June, the last time I checked)

Wouldn't you agree that software needs to evolve, instead of keeping on supporting legacy hardware? That's actually what got MS into trouble, redesigning Windows with each version but never taking a bold move and leave behind older hardware. Their Registry comes to mind.

Personally I think that with each software update people should update their hardware as well; when you bought the hardware it came with software which was designed specifically for that device. Some people expect they can use their hardware for the years to come, to which I agree. But don't expect after installing a major software update that the hardware will simply 'continue to keep up'.
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Samsung clone of Apple's Passbook hits Google Play for some Galaxy devices
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung clone of Apple's Passbook hits Google Play for some Galaxy devices