or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple wins ITC ban on Samsung products [updated with ITC's final determination]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple wins ITC ban on Samsung products [updated with ITC's final determination] - Page 3

post #81 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Usually (but not always) you can't prove they're paid to post. At least I've not been able to and I'm not aware of anyone else claiming regular success. For the most part IP inspection reveals inference indicators and not definitive proof.

That was my point. TS claimed that he had proof that there were paid shills here since he had IP addresses. The IP addresses do not, in general prove that someone was paid.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #82 of 111

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
That makes sense but, who can do such tracing?

 

… Anyone who knows the IP address. There are plenty of IP lookup sites.


Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
That was my point. TS claimed that he had proof that there were paid shills here since he had IP addresses. The IP addresses do not, in general prove that someone was paid.

 

What if it was, say, from the corporate offices of Adobe, posting about how Apple was wrong for excluding Flash from the iPhone?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #83 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

… Anyone who knows the IP address. There are plenty of IP lookup sites.

Didn't know that, thanks. I've just never been inclined to look up anyone's IP address.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #84 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

… Anyone who knows the IP address. There are plenty of IP lookup sites.

What if it was, say, from the corporate offices of Adobe, posting about how Apple was wrong for excluding Flash from the iPhone?

So? That still wouldn't prove that someone was paid to do it. Wouldn't you expect that an Adobe employee (perhaps someone who worked with Flash) would like it enough to criticize Apple on their own - without being paid to post?

Similarly, I would fully expect that Samsung employees (even if you had IP addresses originating within Samsung's facility) would prefer Samsung products to Apple products and might post FUD - even without getting paid to do so.

So, once again, where is your evidence that people posting here were paid to do so?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #85 of 111

While it's certainly hard to have definitive proof, I think it's safe to say that Samsung has "viral marketers" on their payroll.

post #86 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

While it's certainly hard to have definitive proof, I think it's safe to say that Samsung has "viral marketers" on their payroll.

I don't doubt that they do.

I was just objecting to TS' continued habit of making claims about things that he as absolutely no evidence for.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #87 of 111

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
absolutely no

 

Hilarious.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #88 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So? That still wouldn't prove that someone was paid to do it. Wouldn't you expect that an Adobe employee (perhaps someone who worked with Flash) would like it enough to criticize Apple on their own - without being paid to post?

Similarly, I would fully expect that Samsung employees (even if you had IP addresses originating within Samsung's facility) would prefer Samsung products to Apple products and might post FUD - even without getting paid to do so.

So, once again, where is your evidence that people posting here were paid to do so?

How many companies do you know lets its workers post on message boards criticizing its competitors from the office during working hours? They may not be paid per post, but they are using company time.
post #89 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

How many companies do you know lets its workers post on message boards criticizing its competitors from the office during working hours? They may not be paid per post, but they are using company time.

Virtually every company I know lets employees have some freedom during their work hours. Unless you're working at the Foxconn assembly line where a supervisor is looking over your shoulders constantly, management rarely micromanages at the level you're suggesting.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #90 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hilarious.

Yes, the fact that you think that's a substantive response is pretty funny.

But, then, since no one takes you seriously, anyway, it's not a big deal.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #91 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Virtually every company I know lets employees have some freedom during their work hours. Unless you're working at the Foxconn assembly line where a supervisor is looking over your shoulders constantly, management rarely micromanages at the level you're suggesting.

I do know that Garmin is one of those companies that discourages (maybe bans, can't remember for certain) it's employees from commenting in forum/blog discussions of Garmin or competing products in anything but an official capacity. TomTom has the same rules IIRC. Even official comments don't happen often. I don't personally think it's particularly rare for that kind of policy in larger companies with consumer products but it's just a guess on my part.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #92 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Virtually every company I know lets employees have some freedom during their work hours. Unless you're working at the Foxconn assembly line where a supervisor is looking over your shoulders constantly, management rarely micromanages at the level you're suggesting.

Free time is different. Almost all companies have an end user tech agreement. By agreeing to employment, you will follow said agreement. Many companies block YouTube, Facebook, porn, etc. In addition since you are on the company's network, activity from your PC will be associated with the company.

Managers don't have to micromanage users, but every web address is logged somewhere for easy retrieval.
post #93 of 111
"Samsung said it has as yet to receive a notice from Taiwan's FTC on the investigation. But the "unfortunate incident" did occur, the company admitted."

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/tech-industry/3442252/taiwans-ftc-investigating-samsung-for-defaming-htc-on-local-online-forums/

Official Samsung Statement:

"Samsung Electronics remains committed to engaging in transparent and honest communications with consumers as outlined in the company's Online Communications Credo.
We have encouraged all Samsung Electronics employees worldwide to remain faithful to our Credo.

The recent incident was unfortunate, and occurred due to insufficient understanding of these fundamental principles.

Samsung Electronics Taiwan (SET) has ceased all marketing activities that involve the posting of anonymous comments, and will ensure that all SET online marketing activities will be fully compliant with the company's Online Communications Credo.

We regret any inconvenience this incident may have caused. We will continue to reinforce education and training for our employees to prevent any future recurrence."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/04/18/samsung-fake-reviews_n_3106930.html

(Please nobody tell me that they limited this practice to this one time and place)
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
post #94 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I do know that Garmin is one of those companies that discourages (maybe bans, can't remember for certain) it's employees from commenting in forum/blog discussions of Garmin or competing products in anything but an official capacity. TomTom has the same rules IIRC. Even official comments don't happen often. I don't personally think it's particularly rare for that kind of policy in larger companies with consumer products but it's just a guess on my part.

I see. So the fact that some companies might block some types of online activity or discourage some types of online activity now constitutes proof that people posting here are being paid to do so?

Strange 'logic'.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #95 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Their comment would be nonsense only if Apple had not tried to use rounded rectangular design patents.  

 

In this case, though, Apple used designs from real products... unlike that generic rounded rectangular EU registered design that they used to put in lawsuits.

 

 

The first one ('757) was dismissed quickly, as no Samsung product looks exactly like it.

 

 

The second one ('678) ... for a rounded rectangular faceplate with rounded rectangular speaker slot and a rectangular screen cutout, took longer to determine as not infringed.

 

What Darling is attempting to claim is that Samsung doesn't copy Apple...

 

If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
post #96 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

What Darling is attempting to claim is that Samsung doesn't copy Apple...

 

"What GTR is attempting to claim is that Apple invented rounded rectangles."

 

See, anyone can lazily create a strawman by putting words in someone else's mouth.

 

If you want to know what some else thinks, ask.  Don't make it up on your own.

 

--

 

My post contained pictures of the two design patents, and why/when the ITC found that they were not infringed. 

 

(It's up to each reader to form their own opinion as to whether they were right nor not.)

 

Your post had nothing to do with the ITC ban or thread.

post #97 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

"What GTR is attempting to claim is that Apple invented rounded rectangles."

See, anyone can lazily create a strawman by putting words in someone else's mouth.

If you want to know what some else thinks, ask.  Don't make it up on your own.

--

My post contained pictures of the two design patents, and why/when the ITC found that they were not infringed. 

(It's up to each reader to form their own opinion as to whether they were right nor not.)

Your post had nothing to do with the ITC ban or thread.

If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
post #98 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

"What GTR is attempting to claim is that Apple invented rounded rectangles."

See, anyone can lazily create a strawman by putting words in someone else's mouth.

If you want to know what some else thinks, ask.  Don't make it up on your own.

--


My post contained pictures of the two design patents, and why/when the ITC found that they were not infringed. 


(It's up to each reader to form their own opinion as to whether they were right nor not.)

Your post had nothing to do with the ITC ban or thread.

If the design patents had nothing to do with the ban, why did Sammy mention it in its response. Scummy Sammy
post #99 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

If the design patents had nothing to do with the ban, why did Sammy mention it in its response. Scummy Sammy

Apple wanted them re-instated and applicable to the ban.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #100 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post


And you think that those 2 phones look exactly alike?
They absolutely do in your first photo but not in this one.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #101 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

And you think that those 2 phones look exactly alike?

Show me where I said that.
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
post #102 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

If the design patents had nothing to do with the ban, why did Sammy mention it in its response. Scummy Sammy

 

The design patents that I posted _were_ used in the case by Apple against Samsung, which is why Samsung could mention rounded rectangles.

 

It's why some columnists, such as at the WSJ, noted "The ITC decision isn't a complete victory for Apple. The trade body rejected some claims made by Apple and absolved Samsung from infringing on patents associated with the most basic design of the iPhone."

 

In other words, some old Samsung models got banned for infringing minor stuff that they've already designed around or could change, but not for major design patents like a rounded rectangular front with a rounded rectangular speaker slot.


Edited by KDarling - 8/13/13 at 11:35am
post #103 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Show me where I said that.

Show me where I said you said that. I asked you a simple question.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #104 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Show me where I said you said that. I asked you a simple question.

 

Sorry, I'm having a little trouble hearing you.

 

Could you speak a little louder into the microphone?

 

1wink.gif

If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
post #105 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Sorry, I'm having a little trouble hearing you.

 

Could you speak a little louder into the microphone?

 

1wink.gif

 

You mean, these microphones?  

 

 

 

Or perhaps you meant the microphone on the keyboard that Android had first?

 

 

 

The fact is, icons are supposed to look familiar to people... that's why they often look alike.   At least Samsung used a different shape microphone, with a different type of stand, than what others had used before.


Edited by KDarling - 8/13/13 at 5:48pm
post #106 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Sorry, I'm having a little trouble hearing you.

Could you speak a little louder into the microphone?



1wink.gif

Didn't think it was that hard of a question. Yes or no. Does GTR stand for Got To Redirect?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #107 of 111

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Didn't think it was that hard of a question. Yes or no. Does GTR stand for Got To Redirect?

 

Come off it, boyo. This crap might work in a spoken conversation, but everyone can see exactly what was written.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #108 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Didn't think it was that hard of a question. Yes or no. Does GTR stand for Got To Redirect?

 

No...no...that appears to have made things worse.

 

Now I can't hear BOTH of you!

 

How about we try troubleshooting?

 

1. Make sure you've got your devices turned on and plugged in...

 

 

2. Check your physicals...

 

 

3. Try replacing your devices altogether. I just happen to have some new units here.

 

You'll just have to unpack them...

 

 

4. If that doesn't work we may have to try something from a totally different platform altogether...

 

 

5. If no go, don't worry!

 

I still got you both covered...

 

 

6. We can communicate through this little girl.

 

I understand she's worked with both parties before and has excellent communication skills...

 

 

7. If still no success, then I guess we'll just have to pass...

 

Pass...book, that is.

 

 

Actually, the more I think about the ridiculous notion that Samsung is a copier, and not an innovator, the sillier it sounds.

 

You've both totally convinced me!

 

Well done.


Edited by GTR - 8/13/13 at 8:49pm
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
post #109 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

No...no...that appears to made things worse.

Now I can't hear BOTH of you!

How about we try troubleshooting?

1. Make sure you've got your devices turned on and plugged in...




2. Check your physicals...




3. Try replacing your devices altogether. I just happen to have some new units here.

You'll just have to unpack them...




4. If that doesn't work we may have to try something from a totally different platform altogether...




5. If no go, don't worry!

I still got you both covered...




6. We can communicate through this little girl.

I understand she's worked with both parties before and has excellent communication skills...




7. If still no success, then I guess we'll just have to pass...

Pass...book, that is.




Actually, the more I think about the ridiculous notion that Samsung is a copier, and not an innovator, the sillier it sounds.

You've both totally convinced me!

Well done.

Incredible the lengths you'll go not to answer a question.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #110 of 111
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Incredible the lengths you'll go not to answer a question.

 

Probably because he did in his first reply.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #111 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Incredible the lengths you'll go not to answer a question.

 

Thank you for calling me incredible!

 

You're not so bad yourself.

 

1wink.gif

If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple wins ITC ban on Samsung products [updated with ITC's final determination]