or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to introduce next iPhone at Sept. 10 media event

Apple to introduce next iPhone at Sept. 10 media event - Page 4

post #121 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I wish they'd do this.  Now *that* would actually be an innovative and transformative product.  Shake up the industry a bit too. 
I think they are too sacred to do this kind of thing at Apple nowadays.  They play ball with the "big boys" and don't want to rock the boat. 

How would that be "innovative"? Apple is too scared? The new Mac Pro should answer that question.
post #122 of 164
It is sorta interesting how apple is going to crunch 12 months (3-5 usually active) into 1-4 months. Face it that the only thing actually that has come out after WWDC is MacBook Air(and the airports behind it).
post #123 of 164

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Intel was in San Francisco last year at the same time and Apple had their iPod/Phone/Pad event. Apple was at Yerba Buena last year so I expect the same, as you mentioned. Intel = Moscone, Apple = Yerba.

Oh, I thought you meant in the same venue. Like, since Intel's showcasing Thunderbolt 2, it would be a good opportunity for Apple to launch the Mac Pro during that presentation, highlighting the port's use.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #124 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

… We don't know that Apple IS doing it. 

See, this is what happens when titles are typed as fact.
Jrag answered for me- but yes, I was speaking historically. Also- as I mentioned earlier- all things D hasn't ever missed one launch date. Not one. So while I wouldn't bet my soul the date will be this, I might gamble a couple grand. 1smile.gif

On a side note- I would like a bigger screen also as long as the phone isn't much larger at all. Apple did an amazing thing increasing from 3.5 to 4.0 all while making the phone smaller- thinner and lighter and barely extending the length. So id love a 4.3 or so because if Apple did it, they'd do it right. Of course, it's extremely unlikely. That said- gwac- you're very annoying with your persistence. We get it- you want a bigger phone. Apple are idiots for not doing it. We all agree with you... Ok... Ok... You can spare us now.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #125 of 164
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
Jrag answered for me- but yes, I was speaking historically. Also- as I mentioned earlier- all things D hasn't ever missed one launch date. Not one. So while I wouldn't bet my soul the date will be this, I might gamble a couple grand. 

Oh, I don't disbelieve it myself; it's just not fact yet, is all. If we're diligent about everything, we can avoid the pre-complaints about real (fake) issues that come from spreading thread titles around as fact. 

post #126 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdavidn View Post

How about an iPad mini with a phone?

Oh come on... 1tongue.gif

People are already saying 4.7" would be too big compared to 4.0"

An iPad Mini would be ridiculous! Imagine the pants you'd need for that!

post #127 of 164
Why would they launch products in the first of a week? Because it is going to be Friday, the thirteenth? It makes sense to have your product launched on Thursdays and Fridays, have your commercials up and running and within couple of days, that is going to be a weekend. I wish it would be on Thursday - Sep 12 or Sep 19.
post #128 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I think the point is that the only reason you would need a larger phone in the first place, is because you are using it more like a personal computer than a phone.  A lot of folks, me included, have no real need for a "telephone" per se, except to tether their computer to, and they carry around their computer (iPad mini) with them everywhere they go anyway.  

So if they would put the phone app on the iPad mini, then we could forget about smartphones altogether and just use our iPads for the once in a blue moon when we get an actual "telephone call."  

Apple is unlikely to do this anytime soon though as their masters the cell providers, won't like it.  1smile.gif

post #129 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

How would that be "innovative"? Apple is too scared? The new Mac Pro should answer that question.

Innovation is by definition something that hasn't been done before.  A "proper" phone in a computer (a solution good enough to replace the phone in your pocket) actually hasn't been done yet.  

I didn't mean Apple isn't scared to innovate, I meant Apple is scared of the cell providers too much to actually do this.  

My main point was "disruptive" actually, not innovative.  Although it would be both disruptive as well as innovative, it's the disruptive part that would stop it happening. 

post #130 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

You have it wrong. You could substitute iPhone 5 for what I wrote above for 5S and those are the current prices now. So yes I am saying the 5S will stay exactly the same as now. 

No.  By saying that the prices would include memory levels that are currently at a level of 100 bucks higher in price, you are suggesting a 100 buck discount on the 5s.  Currently only 16GB is $650, you are saying the current $750 memory level will be that price. 

post #131 of 164
Quote:

Quote:

I think the point is that the only reason you would need a larger phone in the first place, is because you are using it more like a personal computer than a phone.  A lot of folks, me included, have no real need for a "telephone" per se, except to tether their computer to, and they carry around their computer (iPad mini) with them everywhere they go anyway.  

So if they would put the phone app on the iPad mini, then we could forget about smartphones altogether and just use our iPads for the once in a blue moon when we get an actual "telephone call."  

Apple is unlikely to do this anytime soon though as their masters the cell providers, won't like it.  1smile.gif

This is exactly my situation -- and I suspect it is the same for may adults. I find myself carrying both an iPad and an iPhone, when one would do,

i think Apple could accomplish this by making the carriers "an offer they can't refuse".

My phone services should should be tied to me -- not to my devices!
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #132 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

When not if Apple release a larger iPhone I can't wait to see how quickly a few here will pretend they never said it won't or shouldn't happen. Funny how it is the same group who swore that 3.5" was the perfect size and would not be altered before the iPhone 5 came out.

I have long said the sweet spot is between 3.5" and 4.0".
post #133 of 164
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

I have long said the sweet spot is between 3.5" and 4.0".

Moto X has 4.7 inch screen with similar iPhone 5 phone size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zwwc4zAEvo

post #134 of 164
Quote:

Innovation is by definition something that hasn't been done before.  A "proper" phone in a computer (a solution good enough to replace the phone in your pocket) actually hasn't been done yet.  

I didn't mean Apple isn't scared to innovate, I meant Apple is scared of the cell providers too much to actually do this.  

My main point was "disruptive" actually, not innovative.  Although it would be both disruptive as well as innovative, it's the disruptive part that would stop it happening. 

I'm sorry but I doubt a lot of people want a "proper" phone in a computer.

Apple isn't scared of the carriers. It still doesn't allow branding or crap carrier apps preinstalled. It still commands a great no contract month-to-month data plans for the iPad.
post #135 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

It could come earlier -- Except for a few UI quirks in DP5 the OS is solid.

It does seem that way for sure, I just have a suspicion they might do the Mac Pro and Mavericks as one show, separate from all the iPhone and iOS stuff. I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time 1biggrin.gif.

I am dual booting as I have an SSD for Mountain Lion as my primary boot and HDD for Mavericks (in place of an optical in my MBPro i7). I've stay mainly with Mountain Lion 10.8.5 simply for the speed of the SSD which is mind boggling compared with the HDD.

By they way, how to you find Time Machine handles such upgrades? It seems to refuse to go back farther than the point when an OS gets a major bump which is another reason hesitating updating my main drive.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #136 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjb View Post

I guess that would depend on how you define 'similar'

http://www.designntrend.com/articles/6809/20130802/moto-x-vs-iphone-5-specs-price-new-motorola-android-phone-compare.htm
"According to Digital Trends, In terms of size the iPhone 5 is 123.8 x 58.6 x 7.6 (mm), while the Moto X is 129 x 65 x 10.4 (mm). The iPhone 5 weighs 112g, while the Moto X weighs 130g."

So Moto X is 37% thicker, 11% wider, 4% taller, and 16% heavier than the iPhone 5. That's actually a significant difference for a phone.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #137 of 164
post #138 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I guess that would depend on how you define 'similar'

http://www.designntrend.com/articles/6809/20130802/moto-x-vs-iphone-5-specs-price-new-motorola-android-phone-compare.htm
"According to Digital Trends, In terms of size the iPhone 5 is 123.8 x 58.6 x 7.6 (mm), while the Moto X is 129 x 65 x 10.4 (mm). The iPhone 5 weighs 112g, while the Moto X weighs 130g."

So Moto X is 37% thicker, 11% wider, 4% taller, and 16% heavier than the iPhone 5. That's actually a significant difference for a phone.

So the bezel surrounding the MotoX screen must be substantially smaller then? Not sure. There's about a 20% difference in the display sizes.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #139 of 164
Quote:

Quote:

Apple isn't scared of the carriers. It still doesn't allow branding or crap carrier apps preinstalled. It still commands a great no contract month-to-month data plans for the iPad.

I think the "computer" he was mainly referring to is the iPad -- especially the iPad Mini. Though, it would apply to some use cases of MacBooks.

The thing is, when you are out and about, you may prefer to carry only one device -- and that device would need "proper" phone capabilities...

Now, if the "proper" phone function could be provided by a wearable wristband (or some such) -- that would elegantly resolve the issue. 1wink.gif
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #140 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:

It could come earlier -- Except for a few UI quirks in DP5 the OS is solid.

It does seem that way for sure, I just have a suspicion they might do the Mac Pro and Mavericks as one show, separate from all the iPhone and iOS stuff. I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time 1biggrin.gif.

Yeah, then there's the drop of the next FCPX, 4K Thunderbolt 2 Displays, and some other related goodies, too...

Quote:
I am dual booting as I have an SSD for Mountain Lion as my primary boot and HDD for Mavericks (in place of an optical in my MBPro i7). I've stay mainly with Mountain Lion 10.8.5 simply for the speed of the SSD which is mind boggling compared with the HDD.

By they way, how to you find Time Machine handles such upgrades? It seems to refuse to go back farther than the point when an OS gets a major bump which is another reason hesitating updating my main drive.

My iMac 27" has a 250 GB SSD and a 2TB HDD. I put Mavericks on the SSD, and kept ML on the HDD. I back up to a Promise Pegasus 12. I include the entire SSD and HDD in the backup -- so backup spanning OS versions is not an issue for me.

I also have Mavericks installed on the other Pegasus as a throw-away install -- each Mavericks upgrade goes here first. This is not backed up anywhere. Interesting thing is that Mavericks feels faster running from the Thunderbolt RAID than from the internal SSD.

BTW, speed-wise, moving from Mavericks to ML is like having a new machine... wait 'til you try it on the SSD!
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #141 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

All they need is a nice large screen phone and they'll be back on track.

They HAVE a large screen: it's the one called the LTE iPad mini.

post #142 of 164
Quote:

I think the "computer" he was mainly referring to is the iPad -- especially the iPad Mini. Though, it would apply to some use cases of MacBooks.

The thing is, when you are out and about, you may prefer to carry only one device -- and that device would need "proper" phone capabilities...

Now, if the "proper" phone function could be provided by a wearable wristband (or some such) -- that would elegantly resolve the issue. 1wink.gif

Ah ok. Still, I bet the pct of people who would want something like this in a 8" tablet is extremely small. Not enough to alter the supply chain for an optional addition to add cellular voice capability.
post #143 of 164

That pretty much confirms it.  99% chance its going to be on sept 10th.

post #144 of 164

Big surprise, right?  Apple's Back to School promotion ends on September 6th, and the end of that promotion always coincides with major fall product announcements.  The program's a good way to sustain demand and clear out inventory on product lines at the end of their cycle.  Apple only began including the iPhone in the promotion last year.

post #145 of 164
Quote:

No.  By saying that the prices would include memory levels that are currently at a level of 100 bucks higher in price, you are suggesting a 100 buck discount on the 5s.  Currently only 16GB is $650, you are saying the current $750 memory level will be that price. 

Don't be so obtuse. Do you think Apple will never increase the storage size and leave it at 16/32/64 forever? Storage prices now for a 32/64/128 line up are probably about the same if not cheaper than smaller amounts several years ago. If the 5S is going to look largely the same as the iPhone 5 I can see Apple doubling the storage as a way to increase the perceived value and get people to buy this version instead of choosing to skip it and wait for the iPhone 6 or even switching to Android. Doubling the storage would be a great selling point especially and is needed now that Android phones can reach 96GB. 

This would also allow Apple to have a clear differentiator with the iPhone 5 which could be sold as 16GB. We will see who was right soon enough. 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

post #146 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjb View Post

Exactly. Apple needs to do something similar.

That way... the "I need a bigger screen" folks and the "I don't want a huge thing in my pocket" folks can get along

1smile.gif
post #147 of 164
Quote:

Yes.  Future is to be able to carry ONE OR MANY input/output appliances whether it's a 3.5", 5" or 13" screen.  Up to you.

And then have a receiver/transmitter (with sim card) in your iWatch or some other tiny device so that your appliances can send/receive information...or just use your iWatch alone and use voice recognition.  Judging from this forum, that would eliminate 99% of heated debates over "too small" and "too big" screens!  1biggrin.gif

post #148 of 164
"The rumored event to announce the next iPhone is at the same time as last year's event.. Shocker!!"

Ditto.
post #149 of 164
Should be fun: most looking forward to 7 and Mavericks.
post #150 of 164
Quote:

The enhanced mobility of LTE data, yes, "proper" phone to talk into? I'd say no.

post #151 of 164
Quote:

So Apple launches a line of cloths with bigger pockets! Worked for Patagonia, which started as a rock climbing hardware company. So if it worked for one hardware company why not another? :)

On a more serious note: the LTE iPad Mini IS the telephonic mobile computer that isn't tethered to WiFi hotspots, just like my iPhone 5.... voice isn't the be all and end all of mobile computing communication anymore.

post #152 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

So Apple launches a line of cloths with bigger pockets! Worked for Patagonia, which started as a rock climbing hardware company. So if it worked for one hardware company why not another? 1smile.gif

On a more serious note: the LTE iPad Mini IS the telephonic mobile computer that isn't tethered to WiFi hotspots, just like my iPhone 5.... voice isn't the be all and end all of mobile computing communication anymore.

Correct.

My point was... an iPad Mini is so much bigger than the phones people already think are too big.

In other words... if someone thinks a 4.7" smartphone is too big... a 7.9" tablet will definitely be too big.
post #153 of 164
My lame prediction for September 10: iPhone 5C will be called iPhone Color, and the devices will have black front covers, not white like the colored iPod Touch's. Hope I'm wrong about that last bit though. Btw, what the heck happened to the iPod? Will ALL the iPods go the way of the Classic? Who cares right?1biggrin.gif
post #154 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewofArabia View Post

My lame prediction for September 10: iPhone 5C will be called iPhone Color, and the devices will have black front covers, not white like the colored iPod Touch's. Hope I'm wrong about that last bit though. Btw, what the heck happened to the iPod? Will ALL the iPods go the way of the Classic? Who cares right?1biggrin.gif

It'll probably be a footnote in the iPhone event.
post #155 of 164

What about Apple to introduce iPhone 5c as an iPod Touch with cellular in this Media Event instead just like iPad and iPad with cellular? So the price can be set at $299 for 32GB iPod Touch or $429 for 32GB iPod with cellular which is consistent with iPad price scheme ($130 more for cellular models). There's no reason for them to discontinue iPhone 4s at this point. Anything possible, right?

post #156 of 164

All I can say is I hope the newest version iPhone comes out September 10th so I can finally upgrade my 4! Also, I currently have a MacBook Pro 13" mid 2012 (I believe), would it be worth trading it in and getting a newer 13" MBP with retina display and the new OS? I do have to say I would miss the CD/DVD drive though! I'm just toying with the idea of having the retina display. And another thing, how likely is it that an iPad mini with retina display is announced/released? I'm dying to buy one but haven't quite got an excuse yet; I think the retina display is what will finally set me over edge. 

post #157 of 164

Is anyone actually jumping out oftheir seats to get the new iPhone? Personally I am happy with mine, has had a few knocks over the years and even a screen replacement but I don't really see anything in the specs that makes me desperate for the new model...And i consider myself a fan boy. Sad to saybut I think Apple are losing their grip on the smartphone market. For a start, I'd like to see a waterproof model. Can't see why Apple arent doing this when others are!

post #158 of 164
Originally Posted by ChrisRatcliffe View Post
Is anyone actually jumping out oftheir seats to get the new iPhone?

Why not, spambot?

…I don't really see anything in the specs that makes me desperate for the new model...

Magical. When you actually know any of the specs in any capacity whatsoever, you let us know what your "opinion" is.

For a start, I'd like to see a waterproof model. Can't see why Apple arent doing this when others are!

Because take care of your possessions?

post #159 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRatcliffe View Post

Is anyone actually jumping out oftheir seats to get the new iPhone? Personally I am happy with mine, has had a few knocks over the years and even a screen replacement but I don't really see anything in the specs that makes me desperate for the new model...And i consider myself a fan boy. Sad to saybut I think Apple are losing their grip on the smartphone market. For a start, I'd like to see a waterproof model. Can't see why Apple arent doing this when others are!

Water proof or water resistant?

Are you referring to Samsung copying Motorola and Sony's previous efforts, lame compared to the Nokias and Ericssons of 10 or so years ago.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #160 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewofArabia View Post

My lame prediction for September 10: iPhone 5C will be called iPhone Color, and the devices will have black front covers, not white like the colored iPod Touch's.

Damn, I got half of that right. Still think 5C is a stupid name. Between this and the dumb ads, they should have Schiller focus on what he's good at. Get someone with better taste to curate actual marketing stuff. Apple's ads have really gone down the drain the moment Jobs died. Those dumb celebrity ads for Siri, the Santa Claus crap, those awful, unfunny iphone 5 ads, the cringe worthy, sugary self-stroking of those Designed by Apple ads. Awful.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to introduce next iPhone at Sept. 10 media event