or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to introduce next iPhone at Sept. 10 media event
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple to introduce next iPhone at Sept. 10 media event - Page 3

post #81 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Surely you've been around long enough to realize that it always works that way. All it takes is one source to start an Apple rumor and within days it has appeared on hundreds of sites. Then, the fact that ti's on hundreds of sites is used as 'confirmation' that it must be true. Then, when it turns out to not be true, someone releases a story that Apple failed to do it because of supply chain problems or because of the development team being behind schedule - and the stock drops.

 

Or the other variation on the theme. It all starts with some analyst and because it was an analyst it is taken as fact and posted around. And then when it gets closer to the magic time, the analyst gets nervous about being wrong and starts posing questions of possible issues that might delay things etc. 

 

This version is very common when you are talking about the what of a product. So like Mikey the Analyst might start a rumor that he has been told by sources that yes Apple is definitely making a real TV and it's due out this holiday. It is going to come in 4 sizes ranging from 36-60 inches, will support 3D, 4k, be a smart tv AND have a built in 3d blu-ray player. Oh it will also be paper thin, solar powered etc. 

 

And then a couple of months later Mikey will get reports that there are production issues and suddenly the magic Apple TV isn't coming out for another year, no wait two years. When perhaps it was never coming out. 

 

In fact I'm still waiting for the rumors that the DOJ ruling on ebooks and the inclusion of other media has killed Apple's plans for a subscription tv services, iTunes Video Match and new better video quality that mirrors physical blu-ray offers at half the price of the discs. AND the rumors that the 'real' tv is being delayed due to these offers being made 'illegal'. 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #82 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Apple very much needs one. 

 

I disagree. I don't think Apple NEEDS to make a bigger form phone. I suspect that outside of the geek world, most folks would agree with my view. The vast majority of folks want a phone that is stable with good battery life that will consistently last them all day, doesn't drop calls etc. If they get that in a 3 inch or a 5 inch screen is just icing.

 

As for the article you posted there is a lot wrong with it. They say nothing about their methodology in sampling so that could be flawed and statistically unsound. They disregard that Android phones are generally less in price and often do things like BOGO to flood the market, that newer software doesn't run on many older phones pushing new hardware sales which often only come in larger sizes so folks have no choice in that matter, that there are other factors in usage trends like software and the correlation to screen size might not reflect casualty 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #83 of 164

My predictions

 

iPhone 5C 16GB Free on Contract or $449 with no subsidy

iPhone 5C  32GB $99 on Contract or $549 with no subsidy

 

iPhone 5S 32GB $199 on contract & $649 no subsidy

iPhone 5S 64GB $299 on contract & $749 no subsidy

iPhone 5S 128GB $399 on contract & $849 no subsidy

 

I can see the possibility of the iPhone 5C coming in only 8GB and 16GB models to avoid cannibalization from the 5S but 8GB really is a very small amount now with such large apps and iOS 7 so that might provide a bad user experience which Apple wants to avoid. 

 

I also predict the iPhone 6 will be released around April of 2014. It will be the larger iPhone everyone has been expecting. Apple will release the larger iPhone in the spring and the 4" models around September to keep more excitement year round and to combat slower sales in the 6 months prior to the launch of a new model. Having 2 releases twice a year spaced about 6 months apart will make consumers and Wall street happy. 

 

Finally the coup de gråce will be the Qualcomm RF360 which will allow Apple to only need to make one iPhone model for all countries and carriers around the world instead of the 3 or 4 needed now. Once these products are released Apple will be set for a good decade.


Edited by gwmac - 8/11/13 at 11:44am
post #84 of 164
Wow, AppleInsider is now reporting rumor with headlines that look like fact! Judging by the responses, some folks didn't get to the part that this is just another rumor. AI, please fix your headline - at least until Apple actually announces something.
post #85 of 164
Is there any chance they can release the iPhone 5C and iPhone 5S separately? When viewing leaks, there have been a whole lot of iPhone 5C leaks and not once have I actually seen this dual flash, or sapphire crystal home button. Comparing it to the iPad 5, which has had hardwear casing leaks since the start of the year. I'm kind of hoping they release the 5C and iPad 5 in sep and the 5S and iPad Mini 2 in October. I just want my iPad 5...
post #86 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Big phones are not a fad or niche. They are here to stay and are selling in huge numbers.

But the trouble is 4" and smaller screened smartphones are selling in much much larger numbers. If you ate going to have a solid, clearly differentiated and small portfolio, are you going to chase 70% of the market or 30% of the market?
post #87 of 164
Originally Posted by G-Note View Post
I wonder if Mavericks will be released or if it will be later in the fall with the iPads

 

Why does it make sense to split up iDevice releases?


Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Intel's at Moscone on September 10th-12th:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/intel-developer-forum-idf/san-francisco/2013/idf-2013-san-francisco.html

Having the events on the same day would allow both Apple to launch the Mac Pro as well as other hardware and Intel to show it off with Thunderbolt 2 and the new Xeons.

 

Hmm. When was the last time Apple shared a product launch with another company?


Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
Apple very much needs one.

 

Nope.


You really do underestimate the number of current iPhone owners who love the iPhone and iOS but are salivating at the prospect of a larger display.

 

We underestimate them because the group is small enough to overlook entirely.


These people will not wait forever and will eventually venture over to Android.

 

They've waited six years. If they actually cared, they would have switched already. 

 

Careful how you reply here. You might find your argument used against you.


People want larger displays. Why is that so hard for some of you to understand or fathom?

 

Because it isn't true?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #88 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman664 View Post

Wow, AppleInsider is now reporting rumor with headlines that look like fact! Judging by the responses, some folks didn't get to the part that this is just another rumor. AI, please fix your headline - at least until Apple actually announces something.

In their defense- all things digital has never once been wrong with a predicted event date. So you can pretty much take it at face value. This is about 3 weeks sooner than I was thinking, but I'm all for it.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #89 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why does it make sense to split up iDevice releases?
Ask Apple.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #90 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Surely you've been around long enough to realize that it always works that way. All it takes is one source to start an Apple rumor and within days it has appeared on hundreds of sites. Then, the fact that ti's on hundreds of sites is used as 'confirmation' that it must be true. Then, when it turns out to not be true, someone releases a story that Apple failed to do it because of supply chain problems or because of the development team being behind schedule - and the stock drops.

Of course I am 1biggrin.gif, I was commenting on the fact PED named DED so pointedly and said he was surprised, not that it happens. I like them both and read them both daily.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #91 of 164

When not if Apple release a larger iPhone I can't wait to see how quickly a few here will pretend they never said it won't or shouldn't happen. Funny how it is the same group who swore that 3.5" was the perfect size and would not be altered before the iPhone 5 came out. It was also the same group who thought there would never be an iPad Mini. 

 

If Apple want to remain relevant they have no choice but to branch out with different screen sizes and price points. Even though I hate the word Phablet it is now about a $50 billion market. Why would Apple ignore that much money? Tim Cook already told us in as many words that it is coming once they don't need to make certain compromises or "tradeoffs". I think he made those comments simply to not look like a copycat once one is released. 

 

The way people use smartphones has evolved over the last few years. It is now more of a computer than phone in many respects and therefore one handed use is much less essential. Landscape mode is also far more widely used now than a few years back. Media consumption, games, and videos simply look better on a larger screen end of discussion. Browsing the web is easier to read and requires less scrolling. Apple missed the boat and really underestimated demand. But better late than never and at least now when it arrives they can say it doesn't have any tradeoffs used in other phones as an excuse and to mitigate the inevitable copycat attacks. 

 

I just can't wait to hear what the naysayers will say when it is released. If they follow the previous pattern of wrong predictions I expect the amnesia will return and it will be praised as the best iPhone yet.

post #92 of 164
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
Ask Apple.

 

No, sounds like we should be asking the people who make up these rumors.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #93 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, sounds like we should be asking the people who make up these rumors.

No, he should be asking Apple - since they're the ones who do it.

The question was "why does it make sense to split up iDevice announcements?" That's Apple's doing, not some rumor site.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #94 of 164

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
The question was "why does it make sense to split up iDevice announcements?" That's Apple's doing, not some rumor site.

 

… We don't know that Apple IS doing it. 

 

See, this is what happens when titles are typed as fact.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #95 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman664 View Post

Wow, AppleInsider is now reporting rumor with headlines that look like fact! Judging by the responses, some folks didn't get to the part that this is just another rumor. AI, please fix your headline - at least until Apple actually announces something.

 

 

Now?

 they have been doing that for a while. They all do. It's a fact of life around the blogs. 

 

My real objection was the 'breaking" tag which really makes it look like Apple Confirmed Fact. That should be saved until there is an actual invite. 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #96 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post


Ask Apple.

 

If you did they would probably tell you that it is due to traffic concerns. it's madness when they are releasing just a phone, just an ipad etc. If they had to deal with launch stock and crowds for multiple items at once it would be a nightmare for their staff and for customers. 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #97 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Hell yeah! I just bought some Apple stock on Friday, what good timing! Bring it on! 1biggrin.gif

Daddy wants a new Mac Pro maybe.1smoking.gif

You should'a bought AAPL on Thursday -- the ex-dividend date!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #98 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Note View Post

I wonder if Mavericks will be released or if it will be later in the fall with the iPads

I have a feeling Mavericks and Mac Pro will come together … October maybe?

It could come earlier -- Except for a few UI quirks in DP5 the OS is solid.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #99 of 164
One thing to consider for all the upcoming product announcements is the calendar -- the Apple Fiscal Calendar.

Apple' fiscal year ends in September. They typically like to release new high-volume products about a week before the quarter end. It gives their "overall" performance a bump and provides positive data to discuss at the earnings call...

Also, October is the start of what, historically, is Apple's biggest quarter, the Christmas/Holiday quarter.


With that said, I could see the following schedule for a September Apple Harvest.

Sep 10 -- iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C (iPhone 5 carryover) -- all Lightening

Sep 17 -- iPad Mini Retina (iPhone Mini carryover) -- all Lightening

Sept 24 -- iPad 5 (iPad 4 carryover) -- all Lightening


They could also do some Mac, MacBook and Mac Pro releases -- but they don't need to, and these could easily wait until October.


      • PEERLESS

             • PROGNOSTICATIONS OF

                      • PROJECTED NEW

                                • PRODUCT

                                        • PRESENTATIONS

                                                 --- POO POO PEE DOO ---
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #100 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post

What about the iPad Mini Retina?

I gave up on it. That's why I decided to go ahead and order a mini now. Should be here next week. 

post #101 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Holy shit. That's pretty soon. I definitely expected later, because of iOS7, and the assumption that it needs more time in the oven based on the numerous changes still being implemented in each beta. I really hope it's ready for primetime when its released.

They can still ship new phone with iOS6.X and update to 7 when available - I'm pretty sure it happened in the past.

I like the concept design as shown on top image (slightly curved, soft edged back). Regardless of how good and modern flat/edgy design of iP4/4S/5 looks, I always find 3Gs more comfortable in hand. With something like that, I think I'd be more encouraged to replace my still in use 3Gs with new iPhone.
post #102 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

When not if Apple release a larger iPhone I can't wait to see how quickly a few here will pretend they never said it won't or shouldn't happen. Funny how it is the same group who swore that 3.5" was the perfect size and would not be altered before the iPhone 5 came out. It was also the same group who thought there would never be an iPad Mini. 

If Apple want to remain relevant they have no choice but to branch out with different screen sizes and price points. Even though I hate the word Phablet it is now about a $50 billion market. Why would Apple ignore that much money? Tim Cook already told us in as many words that it is coming once they don't need to make certain compromises or "tradeoffs". I think he made those comments simply to not look like a copycat once one is released. 

Who said 3.5" was perfect?

$50 billion market? So that's 100 million phablets shipped assuming avp of $500. Surely you're blowing smoke. Outside of Sammy, who else is making money of these devices.

Apple isn't ignoring it but it won't release an inferior product just to get market share. Don't get me wrong, I believe Apple will do one but it'll be released when it's ready.
post #103 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

… We don't know that Apple IS doing it. 

See, this is what happens when titles are typed as fact.

We don't? The question was why Apple splits up iDevice launches. Since they almost always launch iPads at a different time then iPhones, then they most certainly HAVE been doing it.

Unless you think that someone else is responsible for Apple's product release dates.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #104 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Apple very much needs one. Though I think one more year won't hurt them too badly. You really do underestimate the number of current iPhone owners who love the iPhone and iOS but are salivating at the prospect of a larger display. These people will not wait forever and will eventually venture over to Android. Not to mention current Android owners who cite the display size as their #1 reason for choosing the phone. These people are lost to Apple until there is a larger iPhone.

As far as a source, look at the sales of larger screened phones which together outsell the iPhone. The iPhone might still beat them individually in sales but as a group the number of phones with displays larger that  4.5" passed total iPhone sales 2 years ago and the gap is widening. 

This link is from September 2012 and the gap is much wider nearly a year later. People want larger displays. Why is that so hard for some of you to understand or fathom?
http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/03/android-smartphone-sales-led-by-big-screens-are-growing-everywhere-except-in-the-u-s-kantar/

I don't. More than 4" is too big for my hand. If I want a bigger display, I'll get an iPad mini or an iPad.

The only way would be if the iPhone 5 hardware remained the same but the screen stretched to the bottom and encompassed the Home button, eliminating the physical one.

It's interesting that, to me, as a UK citizen, phones were so much bigger in the 1980s, then the obsession turned to having tinier phones at the turn of the millennium, and now it's reverted!

Also, many forum members living in the US or who keep their eyes on this news are not really the general public that Apple aims for. I work for a local council and the type of "demographic" (I hate using that word) that live near me are only just coming round to touchscreen devices. At the council, people are still used to Windows XP! They would probably find an iPhone 4 plenty to be getting on with, let alone a 5" screen phone.
post #105 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I'm not sure if this was posted in earlier threads but there's another video here of a plastic case, this time the green one:



I thought green would be a pretty bad color but it has a softer matte appearance in the video when he's holding it up and he mentions an oleophobic coating on the back (3:20).

This would have to be the least informed tech reviewer on the planet.

OLEOPHOBIC means "oil hating". The coating apple uses is there to repel greasy fingerprints. Putting water on it proves nothing except that you don't understand what oleophobic means. If it repels water it is HYDROPHOBIC. As in the opposite of oleophobic. Like most plastics.

He also says he hopes Apple doesn't release a cheaper iPhone (because cheaper would obviously mean terrible) while at the same time commenting on how nice the fit and finish is. Maybe Apple's experience with the iPod lineup means they are smarter than you and know how to market a premium product within a cheaper category.
post #106 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

No in reality I have an iPhone 5 and have used a HTC One, a HTC DNA, and a Samsung Galaxy S4 and found reading text far easier on the larger displays. Especially in games like Modern War where the text is tiny it can be very hard to read on the iPhone but very easy to read on larger phones. The same applies to other apps with fixed font sizes for menu and GUI type app specific fonts. You are promoting your preference and personal bias onto other people instead of admitting that many current iPhone owners like me reluctantly chose an iPhone because they like iOS and the Apple ecosystem but would much rather have a larger display. And exactly how would it harm or effect you in any way if they made a larger iPhone alongside the current 4" model?   

I'm curious what you consider the upper limit for a mobile phone display should be.

Should phones always get bigger or should we stop when we can no longer operate them one handed? Or no longer fit them in a pocket? Or no longer carry them? Where would you draw the line?

For text legibility display size is generally less important than display resolution. If I need something bigger than 3.5" but still portable I use my iPad 3.

Never underestimate the harm that can be caused by fragmentation. Apple have worked very hard to minimise the number of screen resolutions in their ecosystem. This is the main reason iOS has a higher calibre of app development than android. I think we may well be in for larger screen sizes in the future but it needs to be done in a coordinated way not just "bam here's an odd screen size for you developers to grapple with".
Edited by Dunks - 8/11/13 at 3:24pm
post #107 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Hell yeah! I just bought some Apple stock on Friday, what good timing! Bring it on! 1biggrin.gif

Daddy wants a new Mac Pro maybe.1smoking.gif

You should'a bought AAPL on Thursday -- the ex-dividend date!

Unfortunately, there's usually never an arbitrage opportunity in these sorts of trades with heavily traded stocks like Apple's..... the market prices it in before and after the ex-D date. Unless you knew something about a change in Apple's payout policy (in which case, it would be illegal).
post #108 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

They can still ship new phone with iOS6.X and update to 7 when available - I'm pretty sure it happened in the past.

If it did, it was rare.

If iOS 7 was due in roughly the same time frame as the iPhone 5S (or whatever new phones are released), why in the world would they go to the trouble of debugging and testing the phone with an earlier version? Apple does an enormous amount of testing for new products and it would be silly to put that effort forward for a phone which is going to have an upgrade in just a few weeks. It would be far more reasonable to hold off on the release for a short time - which is what has normally happened in the past.

In fact, there have often been new OS versions that came out with a new phone or Mac - Apple doesn't want to be limited by the capabilities of the previous OS when releasing new hardware if they can avoid it.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #109 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post


I'm curious what you consider the upper limit for a mobile phone display should be.

Should phones always get bigger or should we stop when we can no longer operate them one handed? Or no longer fit them in a pocket? Or no longer carry them? Where would you draw the line?

For text legibility display size is generally less important than display resolution. If I need something bigger than 3.5" but still portable I use my iPad 3.

Never underestimate the harm that can be caused by fragmentation. Apple have worked very hard to minimise the number of screen resolutions in their ecosystem. This is the main reason iOS has a higher calibre of app development than android. I think we may well be in for larger screen sizes in the future but it needs to be done in a coordinated way not just "bam here's an odd screen size for you developers to grapple with".

They have two screen sizes now with the iPhone 5 at 4" and the 4S and 4 at 3.5" so all I am saying is to keep the two options but at 4" and anywhere between 4.7" and 5" for the second option. 

 

As far as the upper limit for me, I think 5" with 1920*1080 would be perfect for me and much easier on my eyes and still very portable. The Galaxy S4 and HTC One both fit very easily in my pocket and viewing content was so much nicer. Whenever I use my iPad for a while I have quite a shock when I grab my iPhone. The shock is not that bad when looking at my iPhone 5 next to a Galaxy S4 but close. 

post #110 of 164
This doesn't sound like an important upgrade at all. Especially sad that the screensize is still the same!
post #111 of 164
Originally Posted by heinrichz View Post
This doesn't sound like an important upgrade at all. Especially sad that the screensize is still the same!

 

Thanks for your "concern".

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #112 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinrichz View Post

This doesn't sound like an important upgrade at all. Especially sad that the screensize is still the same!

They said that about the iPhone 4S, too. They were wrong then, as well - virtually every component in the phone was upgraded in some way. You have no idea how big an upgrade the iPhone 5S (or whatever they call it) will be. You see, unlike Android users, iPhone users are smart enough to realize that there's more to a phone than screen size.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #113 of 164

I have to throw my hat in with those who think the current screen size is pretty much perfect for a phone. I understand the points being made about consuming content on a larger screen, but I've never had a problem web browsing and, if I want to play games, I'm much more likely to pick up the ipad.

 

The idea of a larger phone doesn't horrify me, but it's a valid point about Apple's deliberate restriction of the variety of different screen sizes - makes it easier for the app developers to keep everything working with everything.

 

Either way, exciting news/rumour! Can't wait to hear more and find out if this fingerprint scanner will make it out for this release.

post #114 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

My predictions

 

 

Finally the coup de gråce will be the Qualcomm RF360 which will allow Apple to only need to make one iPhone model for all countries and carriers around the world instead of the 3 or 4 needed now. Once these products are released Apple will be set for a good decade.

Well said! :)

post #115 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinrichz View Post

This doesn't sound like an important upgrade at all. Especially sad that the screensize is still the same!

 

i can't believe how many people Samdung hires to post stuff on an Apple site.

post #116 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

They have two screen sizes now with the iPhone 5 at 4" and the 4S and 4 at 3.5" so all I am saying is to keep the two options but at 4" and anywhere between 4.7" and 5" for the second option. 

 

As far as the upper limit for me, I think 5" with 1920*1080 would be perfect for me and much easier on my eyes and still very portable. The Galaxy S4 and HTC One both fit very easily in my pocket and viewing content was so much nicer. Whenever I use my iPad for a while I have quite a shock when I grab my iPhone. The shock is not that bad when looking at my iPhone 5 next to a Galaxy S4 but close. 

 

My conclusion after using phones of different sizes is there will always be a compromise.  Even the Note2 at 5.5 inches is still not big enough for true tablet use.  Heck, even a kindle fire at 7.0 is too small.  Really the cutoff is the iPad mini at 8.0 with a near 4:3 aspect ratio.  If you can only afford one device maybe a large phone is ideal.  But for most people who can afford two devices a smaller phone and a decent sized tablet is ideal.  Maybe that's why phablets are doing so well in China? Most can only afford one device.  But the iPhoneC may just change that perception.

 

The only way a phone will truly take the place of a tablet is with a screen that folds in half during phone use.  And that type of tech is a good 5 years away.

post #117 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdavidn View Post

How about an iPad mini with a phone?

 

I wish they'd do this.  Now *that* would actually be an innovative and transformative product.  Shake up the industry a bit too. 

I think they are too sacred to do this kind of thing at Apple nowadays.  They play ball with the "big boys" and don't want to rock the boat. 

post #118 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hmm. When was the last time Apple shared a product launch with another company?

Intel was in San Francisco last year at the same time and Apple had their iPod/Phone/Pad event. Apple was at Yerba Buena last year so I expect the same, as you mentioned. Intel = Moscone, Apple = Yerba.

AllThingsD also says multiple events:

http://www.cultofmac.com/239840/apple-to-unveil-next-iphone-on-september-10th/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks 
The coating apple uses is there to repel greasy fingerprints. Putting water on it proves nothing except that you don't understand what oleophobic means. If it repels water it is HYDROPHOBIC. As in the opposite of oleophobic. Like most plastics.

I hope companies start using this sort of coating:



That's the kind of stuff they use to show completely waterproof iPhones:



With laptops covered in that, you'd never have to worry about spilling drinks on them. Maybe the coating would wear off the electrical ports quite quickly but it should help prevent some accidents. It would be great on car windows - no more need for wipers.
post #119 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

My predictions

 

iPhone 5C 16GB Free on Contract or $449 with no subsidy

iPhone 5C  32GB $99 on Contract or $549 with no subsidy

 

iPhone 5S 32GB $199 on contract & $649 no subsidy

iPhone 5S 64GB $299 on contract & $749 no subsidy

iPhone 5S 128GB $399 on contract & $849 no subsidy

 

...

 

This makes no sense to me.  You are saying that the new iPhone 5s (the good one with the new parts and the fingerprint sensor will essentially be a hundred bucks cheaper, while at the same time saying the iPhone 5C (the iPhone "cheapo") will be more expensive than the current "cheap" iPhone options.  

 

It makes more sense to me to say that the iPhone 5s will stay the same price as each year's iPhone has always been, and that the iPhone 5C will actually be more like $350, and $450.  

 

I think the very fact that we've seen so many leaks of this back case for the iPhone 5C means that they are expecting huge volume and are testing the capability to make them by the millions in a very short time period.  Rapid, cheaper manufacturing seems to be key to the new product.  If they are expecting to sell so many of them so fast, I think the price will be a lot lower than many people are expecting.  

post #120 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

This makes no sense to me.  You are saying that the new iPhone 5s (the good one with the new parts and the fingerprint sensor will essentially be a hundred bucks cheaper, while at the same time saying the iPhone 5C (the iPhone "cheapo") will be more expensive than the current "cheap" iPhone options.  

 

It makes more sense to me to say that the iPhone 5s will stay the same price as each year's iPhone has always been, and that the iPhone 5C will actually be more like $350, and $450.  

 

I think the very fact that we've seen so many leaks of this back case for the iPhone 5C means that they are expecting huge volume and are testing the capability to make them by the millions in a very short time period.  Rapid, cheaper manufacturing seems to be key to the new product.  If they are expecting to sell so many of them so fast, I think the price will be a lot lower than many people are expecting.  

You have it wrong. You could substitute iPhone 5 for what I wrote above for 5S and those are the current prices now. So yes I am saying the 5S will stay exactly the same as now. 

 

The 5C prices will essentially replace the 4 and 4S in pricing compared to the current model

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to introduce next iPhone at Sept. 10 media event