or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: New iPhones to debut as 'iPhone 5S' and 'iPhone 5C'

Rumor: New iPhones to debut as 'iPhone 5S' and 'iPhone 5C'

post #1 of 51
Adding to a mounting pile of rumors about Apple's upcoming iPhone offerings, a report on Sunday claims a new plastic model will be called the "iPhone 5C," while the iPhone 5 follow-up is to be dubbed "iPhone 5S" and will come in a gold color option.

Lite
Rendering of "iPhone 5C" based on reportedly leaked schematics.

Citing an industry source, Japanese Apple blog Mac Otakara seemingly confirmed suspicions that 2013 will be an "S" model year for the flagship iPhone, a naming scheme Apple uses for phones with upgraded components, but no external design changes.

In addition, the person noted a much-rumored less expensive iPhone model will be called the "iPhone 5C." Speculation regarding the "iPhone 5C" name first appeared in late July, when an image surfaced showing a basket of plastic consumer packaging, each emblazoned with an "iPhone 5C" logo.

Aside from the supposed iPhone names, the publication's source concurred with KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo's predictions regarding the two handsets' specifications. In a report earlier this year, Kuo said he believes the iPhone 5S will carry a custom-designed Apple A7 processor and an upgraded rear-camera, which will feature lens enhancements, but no resolution change. As for the "iPhone 5C," the analyst said that unit will be wrapped in a composite plastic and fiberglass shell.

The publication goes on to say that a new gold color option will be introduced for the iPhone 5S this year, a rumor in line with supposed parts leaks from June.

Finally, the source claimed Apple will remove the familiar rectangular icon on the iPhone's home button, but did not explain the reasoning behind the change. Kuo, in a research note released on Saturday, said Apple had to tweak the design of the iPhone's home button to support a fingerprint sensor. The new part is said to be slightly convex and will be made of sapphire instead of plastic.

Apple has yet to announce either an iPhone 5S or iPhone 5C, but a report from AllThingsD on Saturday said the company will likely announce its new smartphone products at an event on Sept. 10.
post #2 of 51
If the iPhone 5S has a convex home button, I'll wait & get the iPhone 6.
post #3 of 51
The rectangular icon I guess is an app symbol. But if indeed the new home button will be a finger print scanner I guess another icon would make sense. Either that or perhaps an image can't cover the fingerprint sensor because of interference with the sensor?
post #4 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiraniumbra View Post

The 6 will be rad 1wink.gif
I wonder if that on-screen fingerprint sensor tech will be ready by then.
post #5 of 51
Quote:

And if the 6 has a convex button?
post #6 of 51
iPhone Cheap and iPhone 'Spensive. 1wink.gif

I'm guessing they will discontinue all other/older models at the same time.
post #7 of 51
A few 5C replacement parts have been listed here for a few weeks. www.tvc-mall.com/product/wholesale-iphone-5C-replacement-parts/
There's also a few 5s parts most notably a SIM card holder that is beige.

My thinking is they will discontinue the 4 and 4S replaced with the 5S and 5C. This will streamline the supply chain for various reasons - screen size, connector.
Edited by APPLGUY - 8/12/13 at 12:52am
post #8 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

The 6 will be rad 1wink.gif

Yep and I'm sure you fill it up with your extensive 80's music collection.1tongue.gif

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #9 of 51

Goldman Sachs bought up all of the aluminum. So I guess gold was the next best thing... 

post #10 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Grain of Salt View Post

Quote:

post #11 of 51
Quote:

I guess I'll play it by ear. If its going to be something Apple will continue with, then I'll get it. I just don't think a convex button is a great idea. But then, I'm not a designer or engineer.
post #12 of 51
Am i the only thinking those are some fugly colours?

There are only two kind of people in this world.

Those who dont understand Apple and those who misunderstood Apple.

post #13 of 51
The next iPhone can be twice as slow, have a screen half the size of the last one, and a build quality that has it falling apart in my hands for all I care.

Just sell a f*cking dock with it and I'll buy one.

Edited by GTR - 8/13/13 at 1:07am
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
post #14 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Yup. You are the only. ;)

post #15 of 51
With a convex home button Apple won't be able to claim true 7.6mm thickness, otherwise they gonna put themselves in line with the rest of the manufacturerers who discount camera bump from overall thickness of their devices.
post #16 of 51
Quote:

What if on the iPhone 6 makes you spit your phone instead? Kkkrrrrgggh-pptuh ....

post #17 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Goldman Sachs bought up all of the aluminum. So I guess gold was the next best thing... 

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/aug/05/goldman-sachs-london-metal-exchange-sued
post #18 of 51
Quote:

I like the baby blue, are they just painted or does the colour run through like with the Nokia Lumia.
post #19 of 51
They can add an alcohol and drug sensor to tell parents if their kids are under the influence.
post #20 of 51
The schedule for the iPhone 5 was:
Sept. 4th announced event,
Sept. 12th announced phone at event,
Sept. 14th started pre-orders,
Sept. 19th started delivery

Based on that, we can roughly we can expect the 5s will go something like this:
Week of Sept. 2nd announce event for Sept. 10/11th.
Pre-Orders Sept 13th
Deliveries Sept 18th.

Awful timing for me since I'm headed overseas that week. Probably couldn't get it unlocked in time to take with me anyway.
post #21 of 51
So now the "S" will stand for "Sapphire"?
post #22 of 51
Quote:

You do know that this is a rendering and not the real colors?
post #23 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

It would be logical to think that colours will be the same as ones available for iPods.

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

post #24 of 51

About time someone sued them since Obama and the Republican'ts are too chicken to do it.

post #25 of 51
Quote:

Why, you want a faster phone with a bigger screen and a convex home button?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #26 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

iPhone Cheap and iPhone 'Spensive. 1wink.gif

I'm guessing they will discontinue all other/older models at the same time.

Hehe!

And this old model nonsense can't end soon enough.
post #27 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPLGUY View Post

A few 5C replacement parts have been listed here for a few weeks. www.tvc-mall.com/product/wholesale-iphone-5C-replacement-parts/
There's also a few 5s parts most notably a SIM card holder that is beige.

My thinking is they will discontinue the 4 and 4S replaced with the 5S and 5C. This will streamline the supply chain for various reasons - screen size, connector.

Well spotted. Though upon closer inspection that beige is clearly pale gold, which I think will be rather attractive.

http://www.tvc-mall.com/details/SIM-Card-Tray-Holder-Replacement-for-iPhone-5S-7th-Genration-OEM-Beige-I5S-901B/
post #28 of 51
Quote:

Those colours are inaccurate.
post #29 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Yes i do. And the leaks and Video points to same colour as well. Which worries me because normally Rendering looks better. And in this case it is not.

post #30 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

With a convex home button Apple won't be able to claim true 7.6mm thickness, otherwise they gonna put themselves in line with the rest of the manufacturerers who discount camera bump from overall thickness of their devices.

Of course they can. Who cares anyway.
post #31 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Priss View Post

No, it stands for "Security"
post #32 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I like the baby blue, are they just painted or does the colour run through like with the Nokia Lumia.

That blue is inaccurate. These are the real colours:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SonnyDickson/status/354924020627546113/photo/1

Not sure what's going on with the vomit coloured one. I guess that's one way of ensuring the 5S has more sex appeal. Want a less expensive iPhone? Be prepared to rock a cheesy external colour, or white, and not black. Want a 5S? Sir, would you like that in silver anodised aluminium, black anodised aluminium or champagne anodised aluminium? Have a seat and here's a coffee.
Edited by Ireland - 8/12/13 at 5:21am
post #33 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Priss View Post

Or scanner. But really speed.
post #34 of 51
S peculation.
post #35 of 51
I guess people don't think that perhaps Apple "leaks" these false rumors to throw off the media. Hmm, just a thought.
post #36 of 51

Ten bucks says the 5C gets the fingerprint scanner, too.

post #37 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That blue is inaccurate. These are the real colours:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SonnyDickson/status/354924020627546113/photo/1

Not sure what's going on with the vomit coloured one. I guess that's one way of ensuring the 5S has more sex appeal. Want a less expensive iPhone? Be prepared to rock a cheesy external colour, or white, and not black. Want a 5S? Sir, would you like that in silver anodised aluminium, black anodised aluminium or champagne anodised aluminium? Have a seat and here's a coffee.

Your link shows five pictures of supposedly iPhone hulls taken with five different gamma corrections .......

I think it is not enough to make any statement at all, be it positive or negative.

post #38 of 51

I hope these rumors about the iPhone 5c (if that is even the name of a future Apple device) are not true. The phones on the pictures look too much like Nokia Lumia phones. I do not think Apple will ever make phones that look like Nokia phones. Apple will surprise us with something amazing, not this crap that is in the rumor mill at the moment.

post #39 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Ten bucks says the 5C gets the fingerprint scanner, too.

$50 says you're wrong. They are looking for differentiators.
post #40 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

$50 says you're wrong. They are looking for differentiators.

Yes, but not among things that are essential. For example, it will do email. You wouldn't leave that out as a differentiator.

The question to ask, I would suggest, is what would the fingerprint sensor allow, and would that be a perk or essential for key operations? If it's just to have an easy way to unlock your phone by making one touch instead of a press-slide-and-four-touches, well then the 5C won't have the fingerprint tech. But what if it's required for sending money through iTunes between phones and Apple gets 1% per transaction? What if it's also for paying at any business that has an iOS device and Apple gets 1.5%? Then Apple will have the scanner on both the 5C and 5S. And that is my contention and suggestion about why it will be there. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: New iPhones to debut as 'iPhone 5S' and 'iPhone 5C'