or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Fingerprint sensor production could limit Apple to 4M 'iPhone 5S' units this quarter

Rumor: Fingerprint sensor production could limit Apple to 4M 'iPhone 5S' units this quarter

post #1 of 29
An alleged delay in production of fingerprint sensors could severely restrict how many "iPhone 5S" units Apple is capable of building this quarter, a new rumor claims.

Flash
Artist's conception of a possible iPhone 5S. Source: AppleInsider

The details were reported on Monday by DigiTimes, a Taiwanese tech site frequently lambasted for its questionable track record on Apple rumors. In its latest report, the site claims Apple may only be able to build between 3 million and 4 million units of the anticipated "iPhone 5S" in the third quarter.

The report alleges that mass production of fingerprint sensors for the next iPhone was set to begin in May through Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., before they were packaged at Xintec. But those plans were reportedly delayed "due to issues related to integration between iOS 7 and fingerprint chips."

Apple is said to have put together an engineering team at Xintec in an effort to improve yield rates in packaging the fingerprint sensors. Volume production is allegedly expected to begin by the end of August, allowing Apple to produce as many as 30 million "iPhone 5S" units in the fourth quarter of calendar 2013.

Apple's next flagship iPhone is expected to have a fingerprint sensor included beneath its home button. Well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo indicated this weekend that the new home button will be convex rather than concave, and will feature a sapphire cover to prevent scratches.

The next iPhone is expected to be introduced by Apple at a media event on Sept. 10. If past release schedules hold again this year, that would place the launch of the "iPhone 5S" on Friday, Sept. 20.
post #2 of 29
Never heard such crap in my life.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #3 of 29

This 'story' arrives just as predicted !

post #4 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Really? If you read AI at all, this is pretty much standard.

1. Start a rumor about some technology that Apple will use in future iDevices.
2. Later, start a rumor that the technology is slated for a specific iDevice.
3. Start a rumor that shortages of that technology will limit production of said iDevice.
4. Later, after the iDevice is released, backpedal. Either:
a. Say that they were unable to use the technology because it wasn't ready but it will be in a future iDevice
b. Say that improvements in yield allowed them to ship more than expected
5. Rinse, repeat.

It's so standard that it could be automated.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #5 of 29
If all these rumors are true, then monkeys will fly out of Steve Ballmer's(sp?) ass.
post #6 of 29

"The details were reported on Monday by DigiTimes, a Taiwanese tech site frequently lambasted for its questionable track record on Apple rumors. In its latest report,"

Then why reprint this crap on AI? We have enough people trying to manipulate AAPL already. And we know the anti-Apple tech blogs like C|net and MacRumors will pick this up and run with it. So why buy into this AI management? Why?

post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

"The details were reported 
on Monday
 by 
DigiTimes
, a Taiwanese tech site frequently lambasted for its questionable track record on Apple rumors. In its latest report,"

Then why reprint this crap on AI? We have enough people trying to manipulate AAPL already. And we know the anti-Apple tech blogs like C|net and MacRumors will pick this up and run with it. So why buy into this AI management? Why?

Because it generates advertising revenue.

Next question?
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #8 of 29
Ok. A product that has not even been announced has already been named, spec-ed, trashed/praised/reviewed by the tech media and its acolytes, supply-constrained, and now passé.

Is it time to put it on eBay yet?
post #9 of 29
Every single iPhone or iPad release is preceded by some sort of "yield" issues that limit supply. Then Apple goes on to sell record numbers anyway.
post #10 of 29
So this is why Apple stock is up $8 so far today (when other tech stocks are in the red)?
post #11 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

"The details were reported 
on Monday
 by 
DigiTimes
, a Taiwanese tech site frequently lambasted for its questionable track record on Apple rumors. In its latest report,"

This is the kind of reason why Gruber detests this website (AI).
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So this is why Apple stock is up $8 so far today (when other tech stocks are in the red)?

As a rule, if the news for Apple is good, AAPL goes down and visa versa.
post #13 of 29
So they couldn't get iOS 7 to work with the chip which slowed down production? That makes no sense whatsoever. To me that would require software work not a potential hardware replacement.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
post #14 of 29
If there is a new sensor being used, what's the big deal about them having supply issues starting out? Heck when there are new processors being released from Intel, it's not uncommon for there to be supply issues in the beginning. It happens all of the time. It's all dependent on yields.
post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Anticipation of a very good December quarter due to new product announcements.

post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Anticipation of a very good December quarter due to new product announcements.

December revenue is always good.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

December revenue is always good.

Which is why Apple stock prices tend to go up before.  

post #18 of 29

4M, that means it'll be sold out before the launch weekend is over ... iphone 5 did 5mil (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012/09/24iPhone-5-First-Weekend-Sales-Top-Five-Million.html)

post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

If there is a new sensor being used, what's the big deal about them having supply issues starting out? Heck when there are new processors being released from Intel, it's not uncommon for there to be supply issues in the beginning. It happens all of the time. It's all dependent on yields.

You're confused. With Apple, it's always opposite day.

If demand is high enough that they can't fulfill all orders instantaneously, that's bad.
If demand is low enough that there is even a single unsold phone, that's bad.

If a new product is late, it's bad planning and that's bad.
If a new product is early, Apple released it before it's ready because they're scared and that's bad.

If they lower the price of a product, that's a sign of desperation and that's bad.
If they raise the price of a product, they will scare away customers and that's bad.

If they introduce more than one phone at a time, they've lost focus and that's bad.
If they keep selling only the same number of SKUs, they've lost the ability to innovate and that's bad.

If they keep the outer appearance the same, the competitors have passed them and that's bad.
If they change the outer appearance, that hurts their partners and developers and that's bad.

It really does make the analysts' job easier, though. No matter what happens, it's bad news for Apple. 1smoking.gif
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyAppleUser View Post

If all these rumors are true, then monkeys will fly out of Steve Ballmer's(sp?) ass.

Mind you, that would explain a lot of what's been going on at Microsoft.

post #21 of 29
3rd quarter ends Sept. 30th and they will have 3-4 million iPhones to sell in two weeks... 4th quarter (Oct., Nov., Dec.) they will have 20-30 million iPhones the iPhone C.... what am i missing? Is this something I should worry about?
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Oh sure you have: just before every APPLE product launch in the last decade....

post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You're confused. With Apple, it's always opposite day.

If demand is high enough that they can't fulfill all orders instantaneously, that's bad.
If demand is low enough that there is even a single unsold phone, that's bad.

If a new product is late, it's bad planning and that's bad.
If a new product is early, Apple released it before it's ready because they're scared and that's bad.

If they lower the price of a product, that's a sign of desperation and that's bad.
If they raise the price of a product, they will scare away customers and that's bad.

If they introduce more than one phone at a time, they've lost focus and that's bad.
If they keep selling only the same number of SKUs, they've lost the ability to innovate and that's bad.

If they keep the outer appearance the same, the competitors have passed them and that's bad.
If they change the outer appearance, that hurts their partners and developers and that's bad.

It really does make the analysts' job easier, though. No matter what happens, it's bad news for Apple. 1smoking.gif

This post was totally funny.  The sad part is that it's true.  Every single fandroid, iHater, and a$$hat analyst conveniently take every line from this post and regurgitate it like clockwork on every product launch.  Doesn't matter that they look stupid and wrong each time they do it.  They just do it for the sake of hating.

post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Really? If you read AI at all, this is pretty much standard.

1. Start a rumor about some technology that Apple will use in future iDevices.
2. Later, start a rumor that the technology is slated for a specific iDevice.
3. Start a rumor that shortages of that technology will limit production of said iDevice.
4. Later, after the iDevice is released, backpedal. Either:
a. Say that they were unable to use the technology because it wasn't ready but it will be in a future iDevice
b. Say that improvements in yield allowed them to ship more than expected
5. Rinse, repeat.

It's so standard that it could be automated.

I bet it does a decent job of stirring up demand and getting people to wait in line to get a new iDevice though.  Gotta get one before they're all gone.  Supplies are limited, act now.  1wink.gif

"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

This post was totally funny.  The sad part is that it's true.  Every single fandroid, iHater, and a$$hat analyst conveniently take every line from this post and regurgitate it like clockwork on every product launch.  Doesn't matter that they look stupid and wrong each time they do it.  They just do it for the sake of hating.

They do it because they chose the wrong platform in the first place and they are afraid to admit it.  So, they make up excuses to hate Apple.

Since the Android OEMs take too damn long to update their devices, IF they even do, they are basically FORCING users to buy new phones just to get a recent OS version..

I just call the Android fanboys that hate Apple, hemorrhoids.   Maybe they'll get the hint.

post #26 of 29
As soon as I saw digitimes in the article I stopped reading. Anyone who believes that rag is deceiving themselves
post #27 of 29

Whatever the specs and feature details of the 5S or whatever it gets called, I'm buying one. My iphone 4 is starting to have a significantly reduced battery capacity, and I've been holding off on paying the $70 for the battery service waiting for the new stuff to come out. Looking forward to all the stuff they've added to the 4S & 5 and whatever they'll add to the new thing, stuff like Siri, a better camera, longer screen, LTE, all that.

post #28 of 29

No serious confirmation yet that there will be a fingerprint scanner.  Would Apple limit themselves ???

post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

No serious confirmation yet that there will be a fingerprint scanner.  Would Apple limit themselves ???

And how would Apple be limiting themselves?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Rumor: Fingerprint sensor production could limit Apple to 4M 'iPhone 5S' units this quarter
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Fingerprint sensor production could limit Apple to 4M 'iPhone 5S' units this quarter