or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › BlackBerry officially puts itself up for sale, but potential buyers are limited

BlackBerry officially puts itself up for sale, but potential buyers are limited - Page 3

post #81 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

We all know it'll go under review but I don't see any indication that it won't pass. BB is going to die anyway. A combined Apple-berry isn't going to amount to a larger market share than Apple alone. (Not saying Apple is interested).

It wouldn't be the market share that creates a problem anymore than it was market share that caused the DoJ to step in to tell Rockstar Consortium to hold on just a minute before getting too deep in the Nortel offer. Read up on the Hart–Scott–Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act (1976)

Since then mobile IP issues have become front-page fodder. With the little bit of trickery that Rockstar pulled off, leading to their CEO announcing that whatever agreement and assurances Apple and MS gave don't apply to Rockstar (free to do whatever they want), the next go-round will get a whole lot harder look IMHO.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #82 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

What would possibly lead you to believe they wouldn't. How much of the mobile phone market did Google have when they made the Motorola offer? That's hardly the defining issue. I'm surprised you don't have any idea what triggers an antitrust review.

EDIT: I'll get you pointed in the right direction. Do a search for the Hart–Scott–Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act

So?
"The HSR Act provides that parties must not complete certain mergers, acquisitions or transfers of securities or assets, including grants of executive compensation, until they have made a detailed filing with the U.S. Federal Trade Commission and Department of Justice and waited for those agencies to determine that the transaction will not adversely affect U.S. commerce under the antitrust laws."

You still haven't demonstrated how it could affect U.S. commerce under the antitrust laws.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #83 of 89
That's only one of the laws/rules that would come into play. Canada, China, and anywhere else that BB has business interests will also get themselves into the conversation. It's not just the US.

With that said if you can't see potential competitive problems with Apple or Google buying BB I'd be pretty surprised.

So here's a possible outcome. In the unlikely event that BB's IP is split off to sell separately from the other assets I'd expect that AAPL/GOOG or APPL/GOOG/MSFT would partner on the purchase rather than any one of them separately. If the IP comes only as a package with all the other assets and obligations I don't know how likely it is that any of the three will get involved but I wouldn't be surprised to see the same partnership even then.

I think they're all tired of the lawsuits and resultant business uncertainty and none of them want to see their competitor armed with another bludgeon nor be forced to pay a huge premium to prevent it.
Edited by Gatorguy - 8/14/13 at 6:50am
post #84 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I personally don't see any chance that Apple could buy Blackberry. IMHO the necessary regulatory bodies wouldn't permit it.

I wonder if the fact that Blackberry is a Canadian company, and more importantly NOT American, would put it outside the jurisdiction of the anti-trust cops?

Not that I know the first thing about laws or corporate rules or anything, just spitballin'.

post #85 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

2. Offering a special BB version of the iPhone which is different in some way (but not simply dropping features to make it cheap). I'm not sure what it would look like - maybe a physical keyboard if they could figure out how to do that without making it look crappy.

Find a way to load iOS on the latest BB handsets? The last two seemed to be pretty good.

post #86 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Can't Apple buy them for patents and good tech that blackberry still has so iOS benefits from it while running Blackberry has a separate company?

Well, call it orange! "oh, blackberry and apple are the same company!" "no they aren't, Apples and oranges!"

That way they could produce phones that sell for less than 300 dollars no-contract and run iOS, no? They could have the 10 sad persons that still demand a physical qwerty, while giving a option for students outside of the US that can't afford expensive devices and contracts.

Looks like the new iphone 5c will cost the same as the 4s, if the rumours are right, and that means 500 € no contract for a "cheaper" device in Europe. Good luck with that, Apple.

There are some great sub-300€ jelly bean android devices out there, i do not understand Apple's position. I'm not even talking about screen size, just a different offering. I love vanilla android, I just see iOS as a better OS and current iPhones as better devices and already have a Mac, otherwise I would've bought another android device already.

I will wait and see a bit more.

I don't think anyone is doing cheap smartphones right now better than Nokia. Lumia 520 is expected to sell for around €150... Unless Europe pricing is way of, for that money you should get something like Samsung Galaxy Fame, which is, well... quite disappointment in direct compare.
post #87 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

I don't think anyone is doing cheap smartphones right now better than Nokia. Lumia 520 is expected to sell for around €150... Unless Europe pricing is way of, for that money you should get something like Samsung Galaxy Fame, which is, well... quite disappointment in direct compare.

But there's no money in cheap smartphones.  It may sell units, but if you can't make a decent profit, then you'll end up like Blackberry.  In order to make cheap smartphones, you basically have to use the cheapest components known and with the cheapest labor and not spend too much on marketing, support, overhead, etc. Otherwise, you'll lose money.  Why do you think Nokia isn't doing too well?  Lack of profit.

post #88 of 89
I'm thinking if Apple snapped up RIM, they could blend with the entire network infrastructure, as mainline into the business sector, and not even bother with selling any of the crap handsets that RIM pumped out over the past 5 years (Yes, I was a BB user, MUCH PREFER iPhone). Just my CDN $0.02 1biggrin.gif
post #89 of 89
Fairfax Capital, who already owns around 10% of BB and until recently held a seat on BB's board, has put in a buyout bid. At their offer of $9/share it amounts to less than $5B. Reportedly the offer is acceptable and entering a due-diligence period.

How the mighty have fallen.
http://www.businessinsider.com/blackberry-offer-to-go-private-2013-9
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • BlackBerry officially puts itself up for sale, but potential buyers are limited
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › BlackBerry officially puts itself up for sale, but potential buyers are limited