or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung points to anti-Apple ads as 'tipping point' for company

Samsung points to anti-Apple ads as 'tipping point' for company - Page 3

post #81 of 92
Originally Posted by Peter Windle View Post
Apple used to be the "underdog", now they are top dog. I hope Apple don't forget that. I very much dislike Samsung, not because of their blatant rip offs but because of the rubbish service they gave me after I purchased one of their TVs. As for mobile phone technologies, keep Samsung and others at the heel of Apple, it might actually keep Apple moving forward.

When Apple was the underdog, they didn't steal from the overdogs. And now that they're an overdo, they're still not stealing from the underdogs. I think they'll be fine.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
post #82 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

When Apple was the underdog, they didn't steal from the overdogs. And now that they're an overdo, they're still not stealing from the underdogs. I think they'll be fine.

The developers of Watson might beg to differ with your statement given how strikingly similar Apple's Sherlock was. And there have been other instances were Apple has "appropriated" ideas from other places. Perhaps not the patented "methods" but certainly the ideas/functionality (but if Apple can try to claim the idea of the rubber banding effect the same protections should have applied to Watson's UI). Of course, this was nowhere on the scale of what Samsung has done, but don't pretend that Apple (or pretty much any company) is virtuous in things like this.

post #83 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I remember Brandy. Cute girl.
I'm not sure cute is accurate. I'm more of the opinion that she's a fine girl...and would be a good wife.

Perhaps a Looking Glass would help you see this.
Edited by diplication - 8/13/13 at 6:11pm

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

post #84 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headrush69 View Post

I wonder how many people that just regurgitate that Apple just stole the GUI from Xerox have actually seen Xerox Star in video or pictures and know of it's limitations in comparison to even Mac OS 1.0.

Yep, and vice versa.

The point is, people who claim that Apple licensed everything they used from Xerox, are just are wrong as those who claim that Apple ripped off everything they did from Xerox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

And what was the result of that lawsuit?

The same result as Apple has had trying to prove infringement of their generic tablet design.

Xerox lost their case after a time limit ran out, and the judge had to decide using the evidence he already had. He basically ruled that Xerox could not prove that Apple was causing them harm.

Of course, the real end result of that lawsuit and the Microsoft one, is that we're now burdened with a ton of software patents, in part because copyrights turned out not to be enough of a weapon to stop others from using the same ideas.

post #85 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

I can't speak to the accuracy of the numbers used in the article. Take that up with the author.

But you were more than happy to state them as fact in your troll. So it is with all iHaters.

post #86 of 92

Samsung: "When we were douchebags we got bigger. Now we're douchebags 24/7. Look out world!"

AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
post #87 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

I think you should help me. Tell me how a marketing campaign has anything to do with ethics.

A mocking marketing campaign has a lot to do with ethics in my set of moral values...

post #88 of 92

You already have (whoops sorry, this in reply to the poster who refused to buy Samsung stuff) .... Apple products are packed with Samsung components. Apple tried breaking away to other component suppliers but can't get the supplies in quantity and quality. Oh well.

post #89 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to one executive for the firm, Samsung's line of ads mocking Apple's iPhone and its devotees marked a tipping point for the firm

The tipping point was blatant adoption of the iPhone 3G aesthetic to launch the Galaxy brand.

The anti-Apple advertisements (plus a fistful of trolls on the payroll) just gave haters a focal point and a sense of permission to publicly express their sentiment.

post #90 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

The developers of Watson might beg to differ with your statement given how strikingly similar Apple's Sherlock was. And there have been other instances were Apple has "appropriated" ideas from other places. Perhaps not the patented "methods" but certainly the ideas/functionality (but if Apple can try to claim the idea of the rubber banding effect the same protections should have applied to Watson's UI). Of course, this was nowhere on the scale of what Samsung has done, but don't pretend that Apple (or pretty much any company) is virtuous in things like this.

Dashboard was a pretty blatant version of Konfabulator too, not that I've even seen anyone use either. The new notifications system was obviously inspired by Android though it does a better job and was at least coded by the same guy.

The rubber banding (and the butter smooth scrolling present from 1.0) definitely makes the iPhone feel distinctive; much more like manipulating a physical objects than any software interface before it. In my opinion the rubber banding was just a proxy patent. Apple's business model depended on differentiating from the competition for long enough to get a foothold. Steve was most definitely going to let that Windows thing happen all over again. Steve even put "Patented!", including exclamation mark, on one of his slides. He was aware how important it would be when entering an established market to scare the competition into submission. It worked well until Android/Samsung had the gall to test his resolve.
post #91 of 92

"Tell me how a marketing campaign has anything to do with ethics."

This should have an /s after it because it just HAS to be sarcasm. No one could ask such a question seriously.

post #92 of 92
My experience is samsung buyers fall into two categories. The I can't afford Apple kit even on a contract and the I just hate apple team. The latter don't offer any compelling arguments why either. If you genuinely did not like the way apple stuff works why buy something that imitates it do closely ?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung points to anti-Apple ads as 'tipping point' for company