or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple reportedly buys second-screen startup Matcha.tv, hints at new Apple TV capabilities [update: confirmed]

Apple reportedly buys second-screen startup Matcha.tv, hints at new Apple TV capabilities...

post #1 of 33
According to a report on Tuesday, Apple has acquired a small startup called Matcha.tv, which provided a second-screen iOS app connected to various content outlets like cable TV, Internet streams and digital storefronts.

Update: An Apple representative has confirmed the acquisition to AllThingsD.

Matcha.tv

Citing people familiar with the buy, VentureBeat reports Apple acquired Matcha.tv for an estimated $1 million to $1.5 million. As part of the agreement, the firm's founders will be assimilated into Apple's team for at least two years.

When asked for comment, Apple offered the usual boilerplate, ?Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time, and we generally do not discuss our purpose or plans.?

Shuttered in May, Matcha.tv was an aggregator for content from popular streaming sites, cable TV and digital video stores. The erstwhile app supported Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, iTunes and cable networks like Comcast, among others.

In addition to arranging content, users were able to manage viewed content and receive recommendations for future viewing. A social networking element was also included in-app to generate recommended media and provide a form of interactivity.

While Apple has yet to implement any of the firm's technology into the Apple TV, Tuesday's news suggests Cupertino could have something brewing for an upcoming software update or even a new product.

Apple has become increasingly interested in expanding its "beloved hobby" beyond its current capabilities. In June, a software update brought HBO GO, WatchESPN, Sky News and other channels to the small set-top streamer. More recently, a report claimed popular music platform Vevo is working on an app that will bring 24/7 music to Apple TV.
post #2 of 33
bring it on. the apple tv is now the most used device in my house
Doodle Dice iPhone puzzle game: A fun, free physics-laden collection of dice games.  Greatest app made yet?  Perhaps young man... Perhaps.
Doodle Dice iPhone puzzle game: A fun, free physics-laden collection of dice games.  Greatest app made yet?  Perhaps young man... Perhaps.
post #3 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

Same here.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #4 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

Good for you! 1smile.gif
post #5 of 33
Well another company bought by apple.
post #6 of 33
Interesting. Maybe 2nd-screen iTunes Extras for movies?
Or (I hate to say it) as a way to show 2nd-screen iAds during TV shows?

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #7 of 33
As soon as ATV has ac wifi I'll grab one.
Can't be too much longer now.
post #8 of 33
With the social media aspect, maybe Apple is bringing Ping to Apple TV?

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

post #9 of 33
Apple is cooking something... I can't wait to see what they're working on!
post #10 of 33
I finally bought the Apple TV and everyone in my house fights over it. Have to get a couple more.
post #11 of 33

Any TV news is good to me.   I am expecting Apple to make use of the new game control API and launch games and an App store on the Apple TV this fall.

IF Apple is also going to add something significant on the TV side, it would be a nice bonus. They are so overdone on that aspect I gave up hoping.

post #12 of 33

I imagine that Matcha will integrate very nicely with SIRI.

" Matcha offers deep indexing of long-form online video sites (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, iTunes, etc) as well as indexing of crowdsourced video sites like YouTube. "

http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/08/matcha-a-social-tv-guide-and-movie-recommendation-engine-that-doesnt-suck/

post #13 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Same here.

Here too.
post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplication View Post

With the social media aspect, maybe Apple is bringing Ping to Apple TV?

I doubt Ping is coming back in any form
post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

" Matcha offers deep indexing of long-form online video sites (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, iTunes, etc) as well as indexing of crowdsourced video sites like YouTube. "

http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/08/matcha-a-social-tv-guide-and-movie-recommendation-engine-that-doesnt-suck/

Sounds good. Let's see it.
post #16 of 33
what the heck did Matcha actually do?
post #17 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

It doesn't look like it did much.

Seems kinda like a Genius feature for TV.

I'm not sure if it was significantly better than Genius or what Apple plans to do with the company's technology.
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckergus View Post

Apple is cooking something... I can't wait to see what they're working on!

Pie?

post #19 of 33
Hopefully this will be used to improve 'genius' info in the video stores, perhaps to create some kind of social system like Ping was meant to be AND to help bring iTunes LP and Extras to iOS with even some new features

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #20 of 33
At some point we need to realize that we are in the post-set-top era. Nothing sets on top of our TVs anymore because they are so thin.

Nice to see something other than an "area of intense interest" comment with regards to AppleTV. Would like to see an App Store to open up content sources beyond what Apple has added.
post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Pie?

Yeah... TV pie.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

Looks like:

* Indexing videos from multiple sources (YouTube, NetFlix, Hulu Plus, etc.). So we can search for shows outside these apps.

* Ratings from multiple social sites

* Genius like recommendation

It would be a superb addition in Asia if they also index free (dubbed) Asian movie sites. My Asian friends love the free movies. They don't buy digital shows anyway. So I don't think it will cannibalize iTunes much.

Edited by patsu - 8/13/13 at 11:18pm
post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Any TV news is good to me. I am expecting Apple to make use of the new game control API and launch games and an App store on the Apple TV this fall.

It's a nice dream (and one that I share) but one that I doubt will come to fruition.

post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I doubt Ping is coming back in any form
Wasn't serious. Sorry.

post #25 of 33
Quote:

It doesn't look like it did much.

Seems kinda like a Genius feature for TV.

I'm not sure if it was significantly better than Genius or what Apple plans to do with the company's technology.

It actually does quite a lot.

It's like a personalized search engine for all things TV on the web.

Think Google or Bing + Facebook for TV.

If you think hundreds of cable TV channels from your local provider are hard to discover and manage then imagine what millions of shows, movies, news, clips from all over the world would be like.

post #26 of 33
Quote:

It actually does quite a lot.

It's like a personalized search engine for all things TV on the web.
Think Google or Bing + Facebook for TV.

If you think hundreds of cable TV channels from your local provider are hard to discover and manage then imagine what millions of shows, movies, news, clips from all over the world would be like.

Even so it seems like a very limited app.

I guess it would add some usefulness to Apple TV, but I imagine the connection to TV sources outside of iTunes would be cut off in Apple's iteration.

Wouldn't that just make the software "Genius with a link to twitter"? It doesn't sound so special to me especially in Apple's hands.

I'm sure before when it was a genius style information aggregator from multiple online sources it was useful. But do you think Apple will keep the links to Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu there?

I doubt it, so that fact immediately limits the functionality of this. But hey at least Apple got the company extremely cheap and the founders got new full time jobs. It's good for everyone involved I guess.
post #27 of 33
Quote:

Thanks for the link!

While reading the linked article I had a vague sense that Apple was taking steps to learn how to index the Web for a search engine.

On a much smaller scale than Yahoo!, Bing and Google, Matcha (now Apple) has its own search algorithm that apparently works well across multiple Web sites.

All of the massive data centers Apple is constructing have to do more than"just" serve up iTunes, iTunes Radio, iBooks, App Store, Siri and Maps content.

What if? :-)))
post #28 of 33
Quote:

Even so it seems like a very limited app.

I guess it would add some usefulness to Apple TV, but I imagine the connection to TV sources outside of iTunes would be cut off in Apple's iteration..

Why? Does Safari cut off all sources outside of iTunes?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #29 of 33
Quote:

But do you think Apple will keep the links to Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu there?

I doubt it.

I don't doubt it at all. In fact, I think this is why this app was acquired. Finally, we are on our way to a unified search across all platforms. I've been calling for this for a while now.

Unified search is revolutionary. It's obviously not as easy to do as it sounds, as another set top box would have done it by now. I'd assume the creator of matcha cracked the code.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #30 of 33
AppleTV App Store in some format is what I'm hoping for.
A new frontier.
post #31 of 33
Matcha is an Israeli company, the second to be bought by Apple. Apple seems to be rapidly expanding its footprint in Israel.
post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

Thanks for the link!

While reading the linked article I had a vague sense that Apple was taking steps to learn how to index the Web for a search engine.

On a much smaller scale than Yahoo!, Bing and Google, Matcha (now Apple) has its own search algorithm that apparently works well across multiple Web sites.

All of the massive data centers Apple is constructing have to do more than"just" serve up iTunes, iTunes Radio, iBooks, App Store, Siri and Maps content.

What if? :-)))
Wonder if Apple could use some algorithm that collects data from all the search engines, refines and then gives better options? Something up this line would sure grab Goolies where it hurts. Imagine, Goolies feeding Apple search. 1cool.gif

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

post #33 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I don't doubt it at all. In fact, I think this is why this app was acquired. Finally, we are on our way to a unified search across all platforms. I've been calling for this for a while now.

Unified search is revolutionary. It's obviously not as easy to do as it sounds, as another set top box would have done it by now. I'd assume the creator of matcha cracked the code.

No one discusses them much but does TIVO offer the "unified search" you mention?
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple reportedly buys second-screen startup Matcha.tv, hints at new Apple TV capabilities [update: confirmed]