or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iCloud › Apple's new iOS 7 design comes to iCloud.com beta testers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's new iOS 7 design comes to iCloud.com beta testers

post #1 of 60
Thread Starter 
Apple on Wednesday updated its iCloud.com beta site for developers, bringing many of the design elements the company already introduced to testers in pre-release builds of iOS 7.

iCloud


The newly updated iCloud.com includes the iOS 7 icons for Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Notes, and Reminders. The icon for Find My iPhone has also been given a simpler, iOS 7-style look.

Apple's iWork for iCloud.com suite remains in beta, and the icons for those applications have not been revised to reflect the design changes in iOS 7.

iCloud


The Web apps themselves have also been updated to more closely reflect their new look found in iOS 7 for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.

iOS 7 is scheduled to launch this fall, presumably soon after Apple's anticipated media event on Sept. 10. No release date has been given for the iCloud.com update, currently in beta form.

iCloud


iCloud
post #2 of 60

Why do those icon colours still look so Samsungy/Microsoft to me?

 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #3 of 60
I wonder how/if they'll redesign the iWork icons... they look very out-of-place. Weird.
For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
post #4 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

I wonder how/if they'll redesign the iWork icons... they look very out-of-place. Weird.
I hope so. Would be awesome if one of the events this fall introduced a redesigned suite of iWork apps that were free in the App Store.
post #5 of 60
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Why do those icon colours still look so Samsungy/Microsoft to me?

 

Welcome to AppleInsider!  Just so you know, there will be lots of newbie trolls hitting the site as iOS 7 and iPhone "5S" and "5C" are rolled out.  Just remember not to feed the more obvious ones.  Especially the low-post-count one-line wonders.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #6 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

I wonder how/if they'll redesign the iWork icons... they look very out-of-place. Weird.

Might be because it's still in beta. Mail has a similar blue, gradient background though.
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #7 of 60
Find My Phone Still uses Googe Maps, though....

Sigh!
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #8 of 60

Old-school iOS: hyper-detailed icons, drop shadows everywhere.

iOS 7 and later: clean icons, layers and "3D" depth and responsiveness.

 

Say what you want about "flat" vs. "skeuomorphic."  The fundamental driver behind much of the iOS 7 changes is the new virtual lighting.  Instead of simulating light coming from above the user's head, iOS 7 simulates light radiating from inside the iOS device itself.  Few if any drop shadows.  Much more translucency.  More "truth," in that light really is radiating from the iPhone's screen.

 

iOS and its devices are far more important to Apple now and in the future than OS X and Macs.  Because of that, we'll see design trickle down from iOS to OS X and iCloud.  Better to have a strong family resemblance between all software products.  Less confusion for users, more Apple branding throughout all products and services.

 

And, as a side benefit, iOS 7 and OS X will look completely different than "the competition."  Android, Windows Phone, Windows 8, Windows RT, and whatever other OSes there are out there will all look old-school compared to iOS and OS X.  It might take a year for Google to warm over Android to look as fresh and new as iOS 7.  It might take Microsoft 2 years to warm over Windows Phone to look fresh.  And it might take Microsoft 5 years to warm over Windows desktop to look fresh.  And in 5 years, there may not even be a Surface.  So there may never be a new, fresh-looking Windows RT.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #9 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Why do those icon colours still look so Samsungy/Microsoft to me?

Because they are ugly.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #10 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I hope so. Would be awesome if one of the events this fall introduced a redesigned suite of iWork apps that were free in the App Store.

This is rumoured.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #11 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

This is rumoured.
Ooh let it be so.
post #12 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Find My Phone Still uses Googe Maps, though....

Sigh!

So does Aperture, and I believe iPhoto (OSX) as well. Oh well, 10.9 isn't RTM, yet.
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #13 of 60

I like it! I agree about the iWork icons, though! :)

post #14 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

 

Welcome to AppleInsider!  Just so you know, there will be lots of newbie trolls hitting the site as iOS 7 and iPhone "5S" and "5C" are rolled out.  Just remember not to feed the more obvious ones.  Especially the low-post-count one-line wonders.

 

Exactly.  As usual, the paid Samsung minions are out in force to be sure.

 

Personally, I love the clarity, simplicity and freshness of this new direction.  This is a major re-think that will take some time to become fully refined, but it lays a forward-thinking foundation that will actually allow functionality to take precedent.

 

This is actually very exciting!

post #15 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Find My Phone Still uses Googe Maps, though....

Sigh!

So does Aperture, and I believe iPhoto (OSX) as well. Oh well, 10.9 isn't RTM, yet.

Mavericks DP5 came with a new (non-backward-compatible) iPhoto. It appears to use an iOS Maps backbend -- no Google or Apple "bug" of any kind.

Edit: Definitely Apple Maps.
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 8/14/13 at 12:08pm
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #16 of 60
These IOS 7 features seem more of actual public release before they do to much because probably a % of average users might hate the redesign that just stay loyal to apple do to things standard.
post #17 of 60

Sadly, not in Canada yet.  1frown.gif

post #18 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


I hope so. Would be awesome if one of the events this fall introduced a redesigned suite of iWork apps that were free in the App Store.

 

I agree except I don't like the idea of them being free at all.  

 

I also hope we are given the opportunity to pick and choose what shows up in the cloud.  I have no use for Keynote at all (I don't even own a recent copy) and don't want to be staring at it all the time. 

post #19 of 60
So ugly.
post #20 of 60

I agree that the iWork icons look out of place.  That being said, I am having a really hard time warming up to the new iOS7 icon look as well.  To me, the "Notes" icon, in particular, looks especially bad.

post #21 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

 

Welcome to AppleInsider!  Just so you know, there will be lots of newbie trolls hitting the site as iOS 7 and iPhone "5S" and "5C" are rolled out.  Just remember not to feed the more obvious ones.  Especially the low-post-count one-line wonders.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


Because they are ugly.

Seriously- these colours remind me of the old Excel/Word for Mac icons circa 2004 especially that predominant blue looks like the Samsung Galaxy colour in a Best Buy display.  It's like let's do mostly white with a splash of some garish colour of some sort over it. Plus they are so one dimensional- flat.

Here's hoping it looks better in person.   


Edited by pazuzu - 8/14/13 at 12:33pm
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #22 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillio View Post

This is my first look at this interface, since I do not have iOS7 beta. Not sure what to think yet. It's good to have a change, I'll see how it feels over time.

At first the icons and UI seem a little odd -- but you quickly get used to them... to the point where I prefer them.

Also, they are refining the icons and UI as they progress through the various beta releases.


Another consideration: I think that Apple is moving towards infinitely-scalable icons and objects -- that can present themselves to best advantage -- regardless of screen-size. resolution or current magnification level.

They currently use raster images for icons with multiple copies required for different displays. Raster images do not scale well, are bulky and difficult to manipulate.

Vector images are lean and mean -- easily and infinitely scalable.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #23 of 60

Login to your iCloud account, then try to go to  beta.icloud.com

 

I'm using new iCloud Beta right now.

 

Cheers!

post #24 of 60
duplicate
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #25 of 60
The Icon pane not only looks the same as iOS, but regarding the layout also Launchpad in OS X. I wonder how much design change we will see in Mavericks. So far there don't seem to be that many design changes in Mavericks.
post #26 of 60
Had a bit of a play. Really like Notes, it's way cleaner than the "Legal" pad which no one outside of the US really uses.

That's the thing with skeumorphism though really isn't it? It can only form an emotional attachment for the user if, and only if, they understand what is represented.

If you've never been in a casino you'll not really understand the gaming table of Game Centre. If you're not from a country that uses yellow legal pad then you'll not really understand the look. You'll have a basic understanding that this is a notepad and this has something to do with gaming but you'll not form that emotional attachment and therefore the skeumorphism approach has lost its appeal.
post #27 of 60

My guess is that access to iWork for iCloud will be included with purchase of paid iWork apps. I hope I'm wrong. Including them for free on iOS and OSX devices also would be bad news for MS (Office) and Google (Docs and Drive). 

For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
post #28 of 60

I hate it. Bring back Linen as the background. The icons are livable, though.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #29 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I hate it. Bring back Linen as the background.
Why?
post #30 of 60
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Why?

 

Contrast! Plus, it was gorgeous.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #31 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Another consideration: I think that Apple is moving towards infinitely-scalable icons and objects -- that can present themselves to best advantage -- regardless of screen-size. resolution or current magnification level.

They currently use raster images for icons with multiple copies required for different displays. Raster images do not scale well, are bulky and difficult to manipulate.

Vector images are lean and mean -- easily and infinitely scalable.

 

That is the very first sensible argument I've seen for shifting away from "sophisticated" to "sophomoric" design principles. If it IS to make the UI work with vector graphics instead of bitmaps, then HOORAY!

 

I really hope you're right.

post #32 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillio View Post

This is my first look at this interface, since I do not have iOS7 beta. Not sure what to think yet. It's good to have a change, I'll see how it feels over time.

 

If you want to see where the design concept is going, just turn on your TV. Look at the stuff on the bottom of the screen -- not full-screen animations, but the "text" stuff like names and locations and such.

 

Every TV graphics package introduced in the last 12 months or so is using flat font with no drop shadows and flat graphics with no borders, shadows or "depth" elements. Vibrant colors have been dropped for "softer," almost pastel shades.

 

It's hard for the average person to appreciate the difference because you don't have the luxury of comparing last year's TV graphics with this year's side-by-side, but it is VERY much like comparing iOS6 to iOS7.

post #33 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

That is the very first sensible argument I've seen for shifting away from "sophisticated" to "sophomoric" design principles. If it IS to make the UI work with vector graphics instead of bitmaps, then HOORAY!

I really hope you're right.
What was sophisticated about iOS 6?
post #34 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Contrast! Plus, it was gorgeous.
Gorgeous? Um, not really.
post #35 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What was sophisticated about iOS 6?

 

Layering, depth, glossiness. The appearance of objects was more indicative of how they were to be used in iOS6. In 7 everything is just another blah panel.

 

EDIT: Lest I give the wrong impression, it doesn't really matter to me. I'm neither for nor against the new look. It won't affect my buying decisions at all and I'm sure I'll adapt. I think it's a retrograde, but not one that really matters all that much.

post #36 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Layering, depth, glossiness. The appearance of objects was more indicative of how they were to be used in iOS6. In 7 everything is just another blah panel.

EDIT: Lest I give the wrong impression, it doesn't really matter to me. I'm neither for nor against the new look. It won't affect my buying decisions at all and I'm sure I'll adapt. I think it's a retrograde, but not one that really matters all that much.
I guess we just have a difference of opinion. To me iOS 6 is tacky and iOS 7 looks more clean an minimalist. When it comes to design it's so subjective I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. My guess is when iOS 7 comes out people will update, spend a little time getting used to it and move on with their life. Apple wasn't stupid like Microsoft was removing the start button and not providing an easy way to boot to desktop. Most people have way more important things in their life to care about than the design of their smartphone OS.
post #37 of 60
It's not just a face lift. There is more functionality and it is far less sluggish, even on Firefox 23.
post #38 of 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I guess we just have a difference of opinion. To me iOS 6 is tacky and iOS 7 looks more clean an minimalist. When it comes to design it's so subjective I don't think there is a right or wrong answer.

 

You're right. Still, given that my reputation around here leads me to be considered wrong until proven less wrong, I defer to your judgement! 1smile.gif

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

My guess is when iOS 7 comes out people will update, spend a little time getting used to it and move on with their life. [...] Most people have way more important things in their life to care about than the design of their smartphone OS.

 

True, but:

 

Marge: "It's very easy to criticize."

Homer: "Fun, too!"

post #39 of 60
To quote Apple's recent "Designed by Apple in California" video (http://www.apple.com/designed-by-apple/):

"The first thing we ask is, what do we want people to feel? ....then we begin to craft around our intention."

Well, I'm a longtime Apple fan. I love Apple products. I love their philosophy of minimalism, elegance, and delighting their customers.

And I think iOS 7 is damn ugly! What I feel when I look at it, and especially its icons, is BLECH!!
post #40 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabassi View Post

To quote Apple's recent "Designed by Apple in California" video (http://www.apple.com/designed-by-apple/):

"The first thing we ask is, what do we want people to feel? ....then we begin to craft around our intention."

Well, I'm a longtime Apple fan. I love Apple products. I love their philosophy of minimalism, elegance, and delighting their customers.

And I think iOS 7 is damn ugly! What I feel when I look at it, and especially its icons, is BLECH!!

Well, Apple obviously thinks that it's fine. And since they have an infinitely greater record of successful product launches, I doubt if they really care that you don't like it.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iCloud
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iCloud › Apple's new iOS 7 design comes to iCloud.com beta testers