or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Roku beats Apple TV in owner engagement as video streaming device market picks up

Roku beats Apple TV in owner engagement as video streaming device market picks up - Page 2

post #41 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

It doesn't appear so. Parks sells research studies. The AI article comes from a PR release for this one:
http://www.parksassociates.com/report/smart-tvs-foothold

it is quite odd that the press release of an "independent study" directly quotes the president of the company that the study favors.  Especially when media devices were only a small part of the study.

post #42 of 57

Apple needs competition like Roku.  A company that makes its money the same way Apple does. By focusing on the product and end customers.  If Roku really is ahead in certain demographics, it may cause Apple to up the ante in terms of features. More channels? Clever remotes? who knows. All I know is it looks like Roku has some clever ideas and advantages to some, and is playing by the same rules as Apple. Unlike some other competitors, who sell "products" at cost to its marks, only so they can make more money from their real customers (advertisers). 

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #43 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

Both of my apple tv's get used daily to stream media, I have at least a dozen friends and co-workers who use there apple tv's to daily stream.  I think this survey is very flawed.

That is really creepy.

post #44 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

no offense intended but I think Plex usage by may be a very small percentage of overall consumer demographics.  That's not to say that Plex isn't powerful. Just saying it not as ubiquitous as iTunes.  

Speaking as a bit of an exception here, as I bought a second hand Roku and yet to buy an AppleTV, everyone I know that has a streaming box has one.  Those that don't, usually have something like a PS3 and use it mostly for Netflix.  I actually don't know *anyone* with an AppleTV but know four or five people with Plex boxes and at least three use Plex as I've helped set up two of them.

True, it may be totally anecdotal, but it makes this report plausible to me.

Now, I say that Plex is a lot more in use than iTunes simply because of the hatred of iTunes out there in the Windows world.  People there despise iTunes like it's a national sport or something.  And quite frankly for good reason because it really is awful on Windows because it's ... well ... Windows.

post #45 of 57

Ridiculous. Roku's are in drawers, closets, and store shelves.

I know MANY people who have purchased both, and all found Roku to be a joke by comparison to Apple TV. And These are not just Mac people.

post #46 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Ridiculous. Roku's are in drawers, closets, and store shelves.

I know MANY people who have purchased both, and all found Roku to be a joke by comparison to Apple TV. And These are not just Mac people.

Question, why is it that people here are so quick to bash the competition? It's getting to be ridiculous. Apple makes a great product in the Apple TV. Roku makes a great product with the Roku 3. They have similar functionality, but their feature sets cater to people with slightly different needs.

And I know "MANY" who have purchase both is codeword for "I'm just making stuff up to make my argument seem better".

post #47 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

By what logic? He simply asked if Roku paid for -- which itself could be considered biased itself. I'm kind enough to let the one slide since both your brain cells were tied up while trying to be cute.

Apparently your brain cells were tied up trying to be a dick.

post #48 of 57

Hmm, Cult of Mac has a story with much different numbers

yes, I am a long time lurker and infrequent commenter.

post #49 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

It doesn't appear so. Parks sells research studies. The AI article comes from a PR release for this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

If you're going to copy my post at least have the courtesy to quote it. 1wink.gif
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #50 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey6Pack View Post

Survey basis seems to be a little off. To date Roku has sold approximately 5 million units, while AppleTV has sold over 13 million units.... A survey is only as good as it's population but the raw number's seem to show some holes in this one. Every AppleTV owner I know (and it's a good number" use theirs for streaming. I also own both, and like others use the Roku for Amazon, but prefer Apple's interface and easy of use, and use the AppleTV for the vast majority of my streaming usage.

That's like saying that iOS being the #1 mobile browser is off because there are so many more smartphones sold that aren't iPhones.  The margins don't add up with sales, but we've seen that plenty.

Roku is a great product- they have a great technology and they do it well.  So does Apple TV.  I don't mind good competition.  It's the Chromecasts of the world that are bad competition.  No one abandons a platform faster than Google.

Edit:

Just saw this- Soloman already mentioned it- must have overlooked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloman View Post

Is this much different than the web usage stats show more iOS users than anything else?

Edited by Andysol - 8/15/13 at 11:09am

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #51 of 57

Apple TV streams HD 1080P movies, Apple holds a 50% market share versus 2% to Roku's market share.

Very flawed survey bases on FUD.

NEXT!

post #52 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by b9bot View Post

Apple TV streams HD 1080P movies, Apple holds a 50% market share versus 2% to Roku's market share.

NEXT!

lol... you can't think we will take you seriously after saying that.

post #53 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by b9bot View Post

NEXT!

Apple TV only streams 1080P if you have the newest 3rd generation. If you have a 1st or 2nd gen Apple TV, your stuck with standard def or 720P

post #54 of 57

I'm not saying Roku is better than AppleTV, but for a large portion of the population Roku is a better fit. If you aren't tied to the Apple ecosystem, there's little AppleTV advantage and a lot of disadvantages;

- Roku offers most, if not all, of the content the AppleTV offers. (not iTunes, but iTunes content can be found elsewhere)

- Roku offers major content access that AppleTV does not. A lot more free or cheap content.  Best example, Amazon Prime. 

- Roku offers lower starting points $40 for 720p, $70 for 1080

- Roku offers games

As I have said before, I bought the Roku because I have prime and wanted to watch downton abbey. On iTunes (Downton is actually advertised on the AppleTV home page at $2.99 an episode)  it would have cost me cost me  $55  to get full seasons 1, 2 & 3. Instead, I put that toward buying my Roku 3 for $98 and got the shows for free with my prime account.

Now if I'm buying a movie or show, it's on itunes and AppleTV all the way, but if I can avoid buying it all together because it's available free on Amazon or another Roku only Channel than I am all for it.

post #55 of 57
A reasonable argument is that the Roku gets more time, as far as "usage", because ROKU has far more available options. Apple TV is still limited to the items on their homescreen. Apple are behind as far as letting people install items/portals to alternative sites to try them out and to keep them or delete them.
post #56 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Question, why is it that people here are so quick to bash the competition? It's getting to be ridiculous. Apple makes a great product in the Apple TV. Roku makes a great product with the Roku 3. They have similar functionality, but their feature sets cater to people with slightly different needs.

And I know "MANY" who have purchase both is codeword for "I'm just making stuff up to make my argument seem better".

No, its assessment of reality. The competition does not have to be lavished, when it's a piece of junk and frankly insulting that it's considered a competitor. Zero thought was put into humans using that Roku thing. Zero. It's an embarrassment.
post #57 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

No, its assessment of reality. The competition does not have to be lavished, when it's a piece of junk and frankly insulting that it's considered a competitor. Zero thought was put into humans using that Roku thing. Zero. It's an embarrassment.

What do you base that on?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Roku beats Apple TV in owner engagement as video streaming device market picks up