or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung to reportedly debut 'Galaxy Gear' smart watch on Sept. 4

Samsung to reportedly debut 'Galaxy Gear' smart watch on Sept. 4

post #1 of 46
In what looks to be a bid to preempt Apple's anticipated fall iPhone announcement, Samsung is said to be prepping the so-called "Galaxy Gear" wearable computing device for an unveiling at its "Unpacked Episode 2" event scheduled for early September.

Samsung Watch PatentSamsung patent for a wrist watch computing device. | Source: Korean Intellectual Property Office via ABC

SamMobile, a blog covering Samsung mobile devices, "can confirm" that the South Korean tech giant will reveal its rumored "Galaxy Gear" smart watch at the "Samsung Unpacked Episode 2" event on Sept. 4 in Berlin.

Previously, the special media event was expected to showcase the company's next-generation Galaxy Note III phablet.

According to the publication, Samsung's Galaxy Gear will act as a companion device to existing Samsung Galaxy products. The final design of the rumored wrist computer is unknown, though a patent filing (above) that has been making the rounds could illustrate how the product may look.

A U.S. trademark application for "Galaxy Gear" was filed for earlier in August, describing a "Wearable digital electronic devices in the form of a wristwatch, wrist band or bangle capable of providing access to the Internet and for sending and receiving phone calls, electronic mails and messages."

In March, amid a flurry of Apple "iWatch" rumors, a Samsung executive revealed the company is working on yet another entry into the wrist-worn computing segment. Samsung has already fielded two failed attempts in the category.

A quick check with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office shows the Korean company has no shortage of "wearable computing" filings, including wrist-worn devices ranging from bracelets, to gloves, to hats.

Apple has also filed its own patent application for a wrist watch-like device and is currently seeking trademark rights for the "iWatch" name in a number of countries.
post #2 of 46
More gimmick thrown at the wall, wonder what will stick...
post #3 of 46
The patent image of the Samsung Galaxy Gear is not accurate.

I always appreciate an Android fan who puts his energy into advertising Apple products.
I always appreciate an Android fan who puts his energy into advertising Apple products.
post #4 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Lol that's funny.
post #5 of 46

LMAO

Let's see how Samsung does launching something without a roadmap handed to them.  My prediction:  A total cluster fuc* 

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

post #6 of 46
Quote:

That is hysterical 

post #7 of 46
Reminds me of the Galaxy 10.1 tablet, which Samsung announced first, just before Apple released the iPad 2 which was a lot thinner, better battery life ,etc , causing Samsung to quickly go back to the drawing board for a couple of months to re-release a thinner version.

Any bets something similar will happen?

It's all just PR to them..
post #8 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

LMAO

Let's see how Samsung does launching something without a roadmap handed to them.  My prediction:  A total cluster fuc* 

So I am clear - a total shi* show.  A total screw-up, Surface-like debacle

Any questions on my prediction or where I stand? 

post #9 of 46
Quote:

Who are you and what are you doing here?
post #10 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydr View Post

More gimmick thrown at the wall, wonder what will stick...
I was going to say much the same in a more vulgar way. I believe monkeys do such things. Sling away, FacsimileSam.

If/When Apple does come out with something truly innovating, FaxSam, wont you look like the master copier as you toss your faulty designs to your over stuffed bin and suddenly spring a different shiny copy claiming 'original' was already in the works.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

post #11 of 46
I wouldn't be so supercilious about Samsung. They're not going to be castigated by the public for sucking, and this thing could very well be the beginning of big things for them too. Besides, I associate the laughing off of other people's products with Ballmer guffawing at the original iPhone.
post #12 of 46

Assuming that Samsung is a component supplier for the imagined Apple watch, I'd expect Samsung to lift as many elements similar to Apple as possible (lawsuits be damned).

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #13 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewofArabia View Post

I wouldn't be so supercilious about Samsung. They're not going to be castigated by the public for sucking, and this thing could very well be the beginning of big things for them too. Besides, I associate the laughing off of other people's products with Ballmer guffawing at the original iPhone.

Write for your audience. The only one coming off as supercilious is you, making it nigh impossible to read beyond your pretension and glean any useful content you may have shared. Think about that next time you reach for the thesaurus.
post #14 of 46

Go Away Samesung

Samesung only thrives on stolen ideas.  Its watch will be a failure, until Apple releases its watch and they get back on the steal everything Apple comes up with train.  F Samsung.

post #15 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post

Write for your audience. The only one coming off as supercilious is you, making it nigh impossible to read beyond your pretension and glean any useful content you may have shared. Think about that next time you reach for the thesaurus.

What's your problem? You know what supercilious means. It doesn't require a thesaurus, does it? You used it too. Wtf. I wasn't being contentious with anyone, just giving a friendly warning that Samsung is a formidable opponent, so it might be foolish to belittle them like we're a bunch of Microsoft/Blackberry executives.
post #16 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by exom View Post

Wow! You sheep are funny (or delusional?)!

Continue to blabber about Apple 'innovation"...

Don't you know? Steve Jobs is dead. 

Apple is now governed by a bunch of out-of-touch, middle aged, white males. Do you honestly believe these fossiles will come up with something novel?

iPhone is for parents! Samsung GALAXY is for cool people.

You know what the genius of Steve Jobs was ?
It's his legacy, which he has passed down to Apple. And they will innovate like they have. Have you even seen the new Mac desktop computer they gave a sneak peak off ?

And Apple products are used by people with better taste and recognize clone products can't be cloned at all levels, like the User Experience.
Quote:

So? What you just described sounds like a clever approach -- observe, innovate, and gradually improve.

Soon, MIGHTY SAMSUNG will beat Apple in the tablet category, too

(maybe not in US though, where Apple is being protected by the USA government).

Samsung has built a repo of being copy cats, corrupt , unethical but nothing more. All the ingredients to long term failure.

Apple isn't being protected by the US govt you would know that if you followed the case. Your just another troll blabbering nonsense.
post #17 of 46
Quote:

I think you make a good point.  Samsung may succeed with this watch.  Seems like they've failed twice, but it is possible third time's a charm.  Samsung has tremendous resources and nobody inside or outside Samsung knows for sure if this smart watch will succeed or fail.

That said, Apple has a strong track record with innovative, radically new products.  If I had to bet, my money would be on Apple based on their track record and their culture of innovation.  Only time will tell.

P.S.  Actually, you could say I have bet since I hold so much AAPL and no Samsung, but that's a topic for a different thread.  1biggrin.gif

post #18 of 46
Quote:

No
post #19 of 46
Quote:

Does Apple have so cool cheer girls? Middle aged white men would never allow to be so in touch. 

...and that's your idea of 'cool'?! Tacky cheerleaders jumping about out of time, does not impress. It merely solidifies my perception of you as a complete tool.

post #20 of 46
Quote:

Does Apple have so cool cheer girls? Middle aged white men would never allow to be so in touch. 

ShameSung has always been using such lame ass tricks to market there products. I'm sure everyone's seen a bunch of dancing girls on there tv.

And guys stop fueling this troll with more fodder. Not worth it.
Edited by nikilok - 8/14/13 at 7:08pm
post #21 of 46
Quote:

Right? But really, what's the point of something like the device on the left? It's too small to do anything on it. The device on the right is, well, the problem is obvious.

Which brings me back to where I've been on this whole product category from the beginning: What's it for? What does it do? Why do people want one?

Maybe the answers will make me want one too, but so far I confess I just don't get it.

post #22 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

...and that's your idea of 'cool'?! Tacky cheerleaders jumping about out of time, does not impress. It merely solidifies my perception of you as a complete tool.

What's even funnier, it's a baseball game.

Those girls wouldn't even be there if it wasn't for America.

post #23 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

I think you make a good point.  Samsung may succeed with this watch.  Seems like they've failed twice, but it is possible third time's a charm.  Samsung has tremendous resources and nobody inside or outside Samsung knows for sure if this smart watch will succeed or fail.

That said, Apple has a strong track record with innovative, radically new products.  If I had to bet, my money would be on Apple based on their track record and their culture of innovation.  Only time will tell.

P.S.  Actually, you could say I have bet since I hold so much AAPL and no Samsung, but that's a topic for a different thread.  1biggrin.gif

I'm not saying it's going to succeed. I'm with the Ballmers here... I think it's going to be an undercooked, overpriced piece of junk. But so was the first Galaxy smartphone I owned. I haven't bought one since, but by all accounts they're great phones now. I don't think Samsung thinks this device is going to be a smash hit, I think they're going to go out there to compete for mindshare. They just want people to see it and know about it. Nobody is competing for the wrist in a big way yet. They want people to see the iWatch and say "Samsung already did something like that". My half-assed theory anyway. I'm sure there are other reasons too.
post #24 of 46
Quote:

What's your problem? You know what supercilious means. It doesn't require a thesaurus, does it? You used it too. Wtf. I wasn't being contentious with anyone, just giving a friendly warning that Samsung is a formidable opponent, so it might be foolish to belittle them like we're a bunch of Microsoft/Blackberry executives.

Yes, I know what it means, though it's a safe bet most posters here don't. When most posters don't, and remember, that's your audience, it seems inappropriate to write as such. I mentioned the thesaurus because it seems your aim was either to write for yourself and a select few others, or simply wow the world with the breadth of your vocabulary, but either way you come off as supercilious; your word, not mine. As for Samsung being a formidable opponent: wow, just wow!  In what context? This is an Apple blog and the topic of the article was a wrist watch. Formidable opponent against who, us? Apple? Surely you meant someone not reading this blog for pleasure or knowledge, because Samsung's formidable nature is utterly irrelevant to all of us in every conceivable way as it pertains to this article and the associated forum discussion. So yeah, you come off as a pretentious ass. And while you may or may not need a thesaurus for every blog post, the rest of the world shouldn't need a dictionary to read a tech blog or its discussion forum. I said it before, and I'll say it again, write for your audience.

post #25 of 46
Quote:

Some people here, not all of them, are hyper-sensitive to anything not overtly fawning towards Apple. Even innocuous comments like yours are somehow interpreted as being anti-Apple. Don't try to understand because you'll just hurt your head. Ignore them.

post #26 of 46
Quote:

Well then they come out with mini model, 2 screens, fight over first retina, wifi etc., apple still keeps the $100 watch that is perfect with perfect screen size

To the point funny, but not a advantage in many cases because of its size can be discomfort.

Apple really could have a glasses and watch setup for ultimate in the end, watch have FaceTime camera and screen, the glasses have little speakers right next to your ears, Microphone near nose, and iSight camera(s) also good for exercising.
post #27 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post

Samsung's formidable nature is utterly irrelevant to all of us in every conceivable way as it pertains to this article and the associated forum discussion.

What? Not just wrong but WAY wrong.

As someone interested in Apple, I am almost by necessity VERY interested in what its competitors do. Of course Samsung plays dirty. That doesn't make what they do irrelevant. That's the market in which Apple competes. If you want to bury your head in the sand that's your business, but don't presume for one second that anyone else wants to follow you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post

the rest of the world shouldn't need a dictionary to read a tech blog or its discussion forum.

So, in other words, "Dumb it down because people here are stupid."

Please don't speak on behalf of others on the forum because your attempts at derision are just making you and everyone else here look like idiots.

post #28 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

I think you made a mistake since AndrewofArabia doesn't seem to be an idiot, but whatever. <*Shrug*> Your loss.

BTW, did you even understand what he was saying? I'm not sure how you would take issue with it.

Lol. It was a suggestion to him regarding the object of his discontent. Sorry if that was confusing.
post #29 of 46
Quote:

Hello, knock on head. We are honest Apple fellows/esses here and support many needs and concerns. FaxsimileSam and Goolies are not part of the game. MS, irrelevant, however, if a piano fell on MS, we'd watch the event on the news, some would clap, some cheer, some might even have tears in their eyes. We're not heartless, we'd like the piano to fall fast and hard. No pain for sure.

FaxSam and Goolies, well there was this messed up Roman Emperor who had some hollowed out metal bull and a big fat fire & he put his enemies into hollowed out metal bull for a lark. I won't go into the details but the movie was a flop, so I have heard. I would say the end of SamStung and Goofle would range in a manner of accidents closer to the cow thingi than the piano.

No disregard meant to pianos or bulls.

Edited by mhikl - 8/14/13 at 9:50pm

post #30 of 46

Baubles and bangles sounds about right for Samsung. Samsung heard these were some of our favorite things.

post #31 of 46

No no no! Get the headline right. It should read

Samsung to reportedly debut 'Galaxy Gear' smart watch as new report says Apple 'iWatch' delayed until 2015 

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #32 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Seems exom's excellent and uplifting posts are disappearing. This particular old white guy would like to hire those crayon pops for some cool cheerleading, yessir. Goggles, helmets and all. That Samsung has some ASS.

Fixed that for you.

1wink.gif
post #33 of 46

Perhaps Apple should release some FUD regarding a wearable foot item notionally called the 'iFoot'?

And then step back and see whether Samsung puts their foot in it too? They might come out with one targeted at Runners and call it the Samsung 'AthletesFoot'?

post #34 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

... They might come out with one targeted at Runners and call it the Samsung 'AthletesFoot'?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ifoot/id327209881?mt=8

iFoot for ya...

post #35 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloman View Post

You haven't been paying attention, because exom, Sonysexual, and dasanman69 have all been banned in the last few days.

"Moderation appears to be non-existent at the moment."
post #36 of 46
Quote:

Exom's posts were removed pretty quickly and he/she was rightly banned. Moderation isn't instantaneous and many times rely on our flagging of posts.
post #37 of 46
Do you ever think about it?

If there is life...after banning?

1wink.gif
post #38 of 46
Quote:

Do you ever think about it?

If there is life...after banning?

1wink.gif

It's more like a suspension because it's not permanent.
post #39 of 46
Quote:

Fixed that for you.

1wink.gif

Y'know, I hadn't thought of this particular angle on gender objectification until Samsung brought it into focus for me. You, of course, now give it language. Samsung is way ahead of Apple on this "life companion" front.

Or back. I can't decide. I see in other linked videos that the real Crayon Pops wear sweat pants and use Apple products. Ugh. I'll take these Samsung impersonators.
post #40 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloman View Post

Quote:

Exom's posts were removed pretty quickly and he/she was rightly banned. Moderation isn't instantaneous and many times rely on our flagging of posts.

Some people also have a habit of quoting these comments multiple times immediately after they are posted, which makes it far more time consuming to clean up (e.g instead of 6 comments or so to delete, it turns into 30-50 comments across multiple threads) and no matter how many times this sort of thing happens, the same replies happen. These people sign up to the forum to get attention and rile people up. When people respond to them, they got what they came for. As soon as people see someone doing this, flag the post, hover over the name and block them.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung to reportedly debut 'Galaxy Gear' smart watch on Sept. 4