or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Canalys: Android lacks the 'rigorously managed, high-quality, optimized' apps seen on Apple's iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Canalys: Android lacks the 'rigorously managed, high-quality, optimized' apps seen on Apple's iPad - Page 2

post #41 of 80
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

I think a fair and easy comparison is how many top 100 apps are optimized for 'both' smartphone and tablet on each platform.  Dow any one know the numbers?

 

iPad apps are always "optimized" for iPad.

Universal iPhone + iPad apps are always "optimized" for iPhone and for iPad.

Because Xcode provides two separate GUIs (called "storyboards") for each paradigm.

The only non-optimized apps you'll see on iPad are non-universal iPhone-only apps.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #42 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

ROTFLMAO. You've already been corrected once about audio apps.

Eric theHalfBee was both polite and helpful enough to actually explain in detail a few posts back. Quite respectfully I might add. But thanks anyway.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #43 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

There's a change in the winds on Apple reporting and in Apple stock of late and I firmly believe much of this has to do with the strong efforts of Mr Dilger. His analyses are being quoted on many sites, even the negative sites are taking note, and his work is bringing some great responses here on AI to which even the naysayers are finding difficulty in finding fault.

New things are on the horizon and with the DED leading the charge, let the games begin.

Oh dear... I have been considering abandoning AI forums because it appears that they are turning into a DED blog.

I followed him for years on his roughly drafted blog...

But I eventually left the site because of his biased reporting and demeaning anyone who disagreed with him.

DED is pro-Apple to an unsupportable degree... and anti everything MS, Google, Sammy, et al.


When DED sticks to the facts he often creates a reasoned, well-presented article (even if it tends to be verbose).


Mostly, though, DED seems to be following an agenda: promoting everything Apple and slamming anything competitive. He cites prior articles written by himself to support the so-called "facts" he is presenting -- while ignoring or eliding contrary facts or points of view.


Then when called on a point DED posts a rejoinder using a pseudonym "@corrections" -- reaffirming his "facts" and often demeaning the poster.

It is my understanding that participants in an AI forum are allowed a single user ID -- I don't understand why DED is allowed this special privilege.


FWIW, I have my own pro-Apple, anti-MS, Google, Sammy biases -- but I try not to let that color my reasoning (aside from jerking one's chain for fun).

Dick Applebaum
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 8/15/13 at 12:51pm
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #44 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

I think a fair and easy comparison is how many top 100 apps are optimized for 'both' smartphone and tablet on each platform.  Dow any one know the numbers?

It's in the thread link I provided earlier today. Here it is again for those that missed it the first time.
http://www.canalys.com/download/tablet_apps.pdf
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #45 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by aBeliefSystem View Post

Android apps will all self adapt for phone, tablet and Android laptops. So why don't Ipad apps do the same?

Because the design requirements are different -- an application must be rethought to exploit the difference in screen size, device capabilities, etc. between a phone and a tablet.

Resizing a phone app to display the same info on a larger screen doesn't cut it!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #46 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBeliefSystem View Post

Android apps will all self adapt for phone, tablet and Android laptops. So why don't Ipad apps do the same?

They do--it's called Universal apps. And iOS 7 has even more tools for developers to use in auto-adapting.

Apple doesn't REQUIRE all apps be Universal, which is a sensible bone to throw developers, especially when a given app's function is really best suited to either pocket or tablet format alone. But they do clearly promote those apps that are, and the result is a success: better tablet apps than what you have on Android.

It's true that if you're stuck running a phone-only app on an iPad, it doesn't adapt nicely--but you're not likely to need to phone-only apps much on iPad.

As for they "all self adapt" on Android that's the common trap of pretending a list of features is the same as delivered reality. Bullet-point marketing. "Non-Apple product does X." With no regard for whether it does it well.

The question to ask is, why do so many apps on Android tablets just act like stretched smartphone apps, far inferior (as seen in the images above) to real tablet-optimized quality apps? Well, Google has a fragmentation problem with screen format (far smaller than the fragmentation problem with OS versions and hardware vendor overlay, but a problem). How to partly solve that for developers? Auto-stretching is certainly sensible. It works--but it works poorly.

iPad users shouldn't be bragging about iPhone-specific 2x apps. And Android users shouldn't be bragging about auto-adapted phone-style apps either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

There's a change in the winds on Apple reporting and in Apple stock of late and I firmly believe much of this has to do with the strong efforts of Mr Dilger. His analyses are being quoted on many sites, even the negative sites are taking note, and his work is bringing some great responses here on AI to which even the naysayers are finding difficulty in finding fault.


New things are on the horizon and with the DED leading the charge, let the games begin.
I can defend Apple better than I can defend DED... he does some awesome research and legwork, lays the details out neatly and thoroughly, and makes excellent points. I think him for that contribution. But far too often, he also hurts his own case (and makes us all look bad) by stretching too far, assuming too much, or going for the laugh when the facts are more nuanced. He's not always a fanboy, but the needle swings too far that way, too often, and his credibility would be so much better without those lapses.
 
A "best of DED" compilation is devastating to the mindless parroting of anti-Apple nonsense. A "worst of" is, sadly, nonsense of its own! (This article isn't really at either extreme.)

That said, much of the obviously false anti-Apple nonsense that gets repeated around the web and even mainstream media is on a whole other level! DED can be proud not to stoop to that level... I just wish he wouldn't stoop at all.

Hear! Hear! Well said on all points!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #47 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Easy to do when all the apps are just made for the phone and plopped down everywhere else.

Note: iOS apps have done this since the very VERY beginning.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they have to be updated first to include the iPad's resolution?

No! 2X is a System function!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #48 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnewsjunkie View Post

The real question for Apple over the long term is will this lead in app quality continue or just drop off once Android products become ubiquitous? I am not sure, but I suspect that the same drive for the lowest possible price is forcing Android tablets in particular to be much weaker substitutes for general purpose computing. I am currently getting a new computer system for my restaurant POS that is based upon the iPad. Breadcrum POS is owned by Groupon and it comes PCI Compliant out of the box. I would definitely be much more hesitant to use an android solution here. There are business quality apps on android, but the question is do these work well enough? My Lowes supplied installer who put in our screen door said yes that it works, but he sure didn't sound enthusiastic about how it works. Apple's real supporting structure under everything is a real world class OS under the hood that runs everything. This is why the Apps are more secure, easier to write and much easier to keep free of creeping rot.

The reason I am switching from my current POS is it is full of creehping rot from it's original incarnation as a Windows 95 application. Apple has turned the greatest strength of Wintel and even open source against themselves. Creeping rot does not go away if backwards compatibility of software and hardware is supported. Apple has used a strong Unix base and a willingness to drop support for hardware over 6 years old to kill the rot. This greatly reduces the total cost of ownership which shows up in Brand strength over the long haul. I think this is the answer that makes the most sense, not that Apple is some kind of Cult or religion. YVMV

This is the kind of post that proves the worth of "discussion forums" on the web.

It is succinct and well reasoned.

Your point: "Apple has turned the greatest strength of Wintel and even open source against themselves" -- has made me stop and think about Wintel and Open Source deficiencies -- from another perspective.

I never thought about them that way, but the seeds of their destruction are built-in to their offerings!

No way can Intel or Microsoft abandon compatibility with the past -- it's an anchor holding back all their products.

As for open-source -- it becomes "rule by committee" and rises only to the level of the lowest common denominator.

By their very nature, they cannot make giant leaps forward -- or be nimble adding features or upgrades.!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #49 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

 

How about the calendar widget on my homescreen?  It shows me an agenda as a scrollable list for the next week.  This can be found within the calendar app itself, of course, but I like to keep my calendar in single-day view, which means that, after one tap to enter the app, I have to tap on the view drop-down menu and tap on agenda view.  Then when I'm done I have to tap on the view drop-down and go back to single-day mode.  Plus I when I tap on an event in the widget, it launches the summary for that event instead of just launching the calendar or even the agenda view.

 

Or how about the widget that lets me turn on and off various radios and adjust brightness?  That was an incredible time saver before quick controls were built into Android.  Before the quick controls, I would have had to go into settings, tap into whatever setting category I needed, and then change the setting.

 

Then there is the current weather and a three-day forecast widget courtesy of WeatherBug.  It saves me a tap or two to launch the app and check the weather.

 

And then there's the widget on my lockscreen that activates the flashlight.  Illumination is a swipe and a tap away, and I don't even have to unlock my phone.  Plus if I have the light on for longer than the standard screen time-out, the phone turns off the screen as soon as I turn off the flashlight.  It's really convenient.  This one will be duplicated by the control panel on iOS.

 

I almost forgot the static search bar on stock Android.  I'm only one tap away from searching my device and the web.  Apple is also duplicating this one with the swipe down functionality coming with the redesign.

 

None of these widgets are life-changing, but their presence makes information and actions that much more accessible.

 

The drop-down notification bar shows me events for the day and I can scroll through them or look at upcoming days. Tapping an event takes me straight to that event within the calendar App itself. Radios & settings are now handled by Control Centre as is the flashlight (you already mentioned these).

 

Weather? Notification drop down also has a summary for me. Beyond this (or just looking out my window) I have no need for a forecast in my day-to-day life. I boat regularly and rely heavily on weather forecasts along with waves/tides. A widget is useless for this since I need detailed information when I plan to go somewhere where weather is a factor in what I do.

 

I seems like everything widgets are useful for are handled nicely by either Control Center or Notifications. Like you said "None of these widgets are life-changing". Which is ironic since widgets are one of the biggest "features" Android users are always yapping about - like they make-or-break your device. Not so.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #50 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

 

The drop-down notification bar shows me events for the day and I can scroll through them or look at upcoming days. Tapping an event takes me straight to that event within the calendar App itself. Radios & settings are now handled by Control Centre as is the flashlight (you already mentioned these).

 

Weather? Notification drop down also has a summary for me. Beyond this (or just looking out my window) I have no need for a forecast in my day-to-day life. I boat regularly and rely heavily on weather forecasts along with waves/tides. A widget is useless for this since I need detailed information when I plan to go somewhere where weather is a factor in what I do.

 

I seems like everything widgets are useful for are handled nicely by either Control Center or Notifications. Like you said "None of these widgets are life-changing". Which is ironic since widgets are one of the biggest "features" Android users are always yapping about - like they make-or-break your device. Not so.

 

Just like a notification center or quick settings, widgets aren't deal breakers.  However, once iOS gets them and people use them for awhile they will surely appreciate them and won't want to go back to not having the option.

post #51 of 80

[Mods: delete this]

post #52 of 80
Why is there not many apps for Android?
In a word piracy.
post #53 of 80

What would your apps be?

post #54 of 80

That is not true...and Android has figured out a way to do it with great success...Obviously you are not familiar with it. But just because not every app has instituted their design recommendations doesn't make your statement true. 

post #55 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


FWIW, I have my own pro-Apple, anti-MS, Google, Sammy biases -- but I try not to let that color my reasoning (aside from jerking one's chain for fun).

Dick Applebaum

Dick, you are an honest man. And in an honest world you would be a king. Just one example played out many times. The Buddhist does not fight and in the end may be the better person for it. But in this, their homelands were devoured. The top of India, Afganistan, and surrounding countries, SouthnEast Asia, Tibet to name from historical times and recent. Sir Lanka might be the first and only instance where in desperation these people have stood their grounds. Today they know the history of their brethren. And today we live in a world where war is a tradition of honour.

Apple is under attack, not in the normal progress of business of recent past. Now the onslaught is waged in much more nefarious ways with media deception, paid trolls and economic interests that never before played such a role.

As a Buddhiat I am proud of our history but with sadness and understanding. Apple fellows come in many kinds and those who choose the sacred role, more power to them. Those, like DED, their role also has means and purpose for they are not willing to lie down and die; they burnish the pen and fight the good fight with like intense in these times where the pen must meet the deceiver. And with the pen comes as much heart as with the soldiers weapon.

I wonder, would you, do you spend as much time fighting your good cause where Apple Haters and paid trolls do their muschief. We know what laying down of arms means. They do not get to write the history books.
Edited by mhikl - 8/15/13 at 3:16pm

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #56 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Oh dear... I have been considering abandoning AI forums because it appears that they are turning into a DED blog.

I followed him for years on his roughly drafted blog...

But I eventually left the site because of his biased reporting and demeaning anyone who disagreed with him.

DED is pro-Apple to an unsupportable degree... and anti everything MS, Google, Sammy, et al.


When DED sticks to the facts he often creates a reasoned, well-presented article (even if it tends to be verbose).


Mostly, though, DED seems to be following an agenda: promoting everything Apple and slamming anything competitive. He cites prior articles written by himself to support the so-called "facts" he is presenting -- while ignoring or eliding contrary facts or points of view.


Then when called on a point DED posts a rejoinder using a pseudonym "@corrections" -- reaffirming his "facts" and often demeaning the poster.

It is my understanding that participants in an AI forum are allowed a single user ID -- I don't understand why DED is allowed this special privilege.


FWIW, I have my own pro-Apple, anti-MS, Google, Sammy biases -- but I try not to let that color my reasoning (aside from jerking one's chain for fun).

Dick Applebaum

I wouldn't want to suggest you look at things any differently, just offer another perspective.

I think how much slack you give DED depends on your own level of moral outrage. For example, you say you have anti-MS, Google and Sammy biases. I would say these are logically justified moral positions, not biases.

Samsung cheats by poisoning the public's perception of Apple and HTC products, proven in the case of HTC, suspected with reason in the case of Apple. Their commercials are ageist cultural warfare against Apple. (Apple was careful to make the PC lovable, but they were guilty of Jobsian cultural war with the lemmings ad.) Samsung cheats by copying, and by using a stolen free operating system. Google undermines real effort in operating systems by giving away a stolen inferior product that poisons the mobile sphere generally, the way Microsoft has done with poisoning the PC technosphere with incompetent, bloated crapware for decades, to say nothing of their efforts to kill off rival competent systems like QuickTime and Netscape.

There's no room or time to treat these companies as morally equivalent competitors. They are enemies, out to subvert Apple (though Microsoft not so much anymore). This is a moment in technological and business history where we're faced with choosing between clashing systems. Will we stick with the same corrupt, exploitive, planned-obsolesence-driven schlock consumer tech practices that have plagued capitalism as practiced in rapacious cultures for many decades now, or will we choose to "ethicize" our technology and introduce care for the user as the guiding principle, instead of merely the making of money?

I think Dilger, Gruber, Elmer-DeWitt, Dediu and a few others are writing from that position, which is a mistake to call a pro-Apple bias. In other contexts, it's called being on the right side of history.

So I overlook any of DED's plasticity with his material. I like it when he rides out to Nevada to see what the graders are doing behind the chainlink fence, because on the weekends, Siri is still too busy to "take any requests right now." Apple needs to build data centers all around the world, and put up a few satellites too. They got a lot of work to do, and here's Android nickel and diming them with schlock attacks. Shameful. No punches should be pulled, in my view.
post #57 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

I think the comments about the iPhone being an "App Launcher" refer to the fact that android allows third-party software to integrate more seamlessly with the overall system.

 

iOS treats each app as its own (mostly) isolated experience. Because facilities for inter-app communication are rather limited, the iOS user sometimes has to jump through hoops to perform tasks that use services from more than one app -- for example, when attaching a document to a reply email.

 

Apps on android are comprised of functional units called "activities" which can provide services to each other, even when they come from different apps. For example, when the user wants to attach a document to an email, the gmail app can launch the google drive file picker, which will then return the chosen file to gmail. The user can then continue composing the message. As a result, android feels more like a unified system with various capabilities rather than a springboard for various third-party apps.

 

Apple has opened up iOS7 to accomplish much of what you mention above. Once iOS7 is released, most of the existing apps are ready to take full advantage of the improved communication between apps. In addition, multitasking will be vasty improved. 

 

I appreciate Apple erring on the side of caution when it comes to how apps can affect battery life and user experience, even though it does make Apple iDevices look less capable in some ways.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #58 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

1tongue.gif
Nagromme, I understand and truly sympathize with your sense of fairness. I suffer 1smile.gif that gene, as well. However, I've become disillusioned with the lack of objectivity in reporting on Apple, possibly done by the unscrupulous to gain more site visits. There must be money in this and money, for some, trumps integrity. ...

 

I hear you--I can see room I the dialog for extreme statements, be they for humor of outrage, and I enjoy them myself! I make them, too.

 

(I'd just rather that stuff didn't mix in with the detailed fact-based reporting, because it diminishes some good, reasoned points, and makes those points easier for people to dismiss. John Gruber is accused of being a biased fanboy, but you'll almost never find him crossing the line away from reason and evidence, and when he does, he calls himself on it. At the same time, he doesn't dig up detailed facts and history and lay them out visually in the way DED does. I'm definitely glad to have DED's perspective and details, and follow his writing despite the grain of salt!)

 

And I definitely agree that a lot of the Apple misinformation and negative narratives (fire Tim Cook! Microsoft is the winner over Apple, so Google will be too!) are motivated by money! And then the FUD is repeated by emotion-driven multitudes who hate Apple without any real supportable reasons at all. (Some are my friends--it's fascinating!)

 

A small minority with half-hidden greed motivations, manipulating masses using trumped-up emotional issues instead of reason and evidence? One could draw a parallel with American politics, but I won't go there 1biggrin.gif

 

P.S. Extremists set the center point. If one side of any divide is deceptive and unreasonable and wrong, and the other side is rational and correct, then the "moderate middle" viewpoint--the allegedly "open-minded" and mainstream viewpoint, is one that's half wrong! And in the media, we have this weird thing now of "presenting both sides equally" even when one side is true and the other is a lie--which is a misunderstanding of a very good principle.

 

So, maybe it's better to have extremists to dismiss on both sides, so the perceived middle stance can be well-reasoned! (Unfortunately, in the case of Apple--as in politics if I were to go there—the extremism tends to be more on the wrong side, and the center point is badly skewed. Example: Android IS better for some users with very specific goals--but for the vast majority iOS is clearly the better choice, whether they get to try both and know that or not. The narrative, then, is one of two "equal" choices to weigh, when the reality should be more like the narrative of Linux vs Mac or even Windows: few would say Linux is a bad thing that should go away, but few would deny that it's the lesser choice for most computer users.)


Edited by nagromme - 8/15/13 at 3:41pm
post #59 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

. . . I'm just thankful that we have a few good men like this man on our side. I've seen sites, good Apple sites, lose honest Apple viewers, to the destruction of good argument, when taken over by Haters whose sole objective is the undermining of any arguments that support Apple's position. The MacObserver, for example, had a particularly nasty troll who was clever, informed and devious enough that he had the editors acquiescing on minor points as he nitpicked the site to harm such that the editors supported him when he was 'attacked', even questioned by less abled site members. In my opinion, when heart is lost, a grave injustice is done. That is when I had my turnaround. That is why I support the DED to the good, the honourable fight. He may approach the line and let a toe venture to the other side, but so what!. He is right and those who spiel lies and deception for their tired tirades trust the fire be returned . . .

Yup.
post #60 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


FWIW, I have my own pro-Apple, anti-MS, Google, Sammy biases -- but I try not to let that color my reasoning (aside from jerking one's chain for fun).

Dick Applebaum

Dick, you are an honest man. And in an honest world you would be a king. Just one example played out many times. The Buddhist does not fight and in the end may be the better person for it. But in this, their homelands were devoured. The top of India, Afganistan, and surrounding countries, SouthnEast Asia, Tibet to name from historical times and recent. Sir Lanka might be the first and only instance where in desperation these people have stood their grounds. Today they know the history of their brethren. And today we live in a world where war is a tradition of honour.

Apple is under attack, not in the normal progress of business of recent past. Now the onslaught is waged in much more nefarious ways with media deception, paid trolls and economic interests that never before played such a role.

As a Buddhiat I am proud of our history but with sadness and understanding. Apple fellows come in many kinds and those who choose the sacred role, more power to them. Those, like DED, their role also has means and purpose for they are not willing to lie down and die; they burnish the pen and fight the good fight with like intense in these times where the pen must meet the deceiver. And with the pen comes as much heart as with the soldiers weapon.

I wonder, would you, do you spend as much time fighting your good cause where Apple Haters and paid trolls do their muschief. We know what laying down of arms means. They do not get to write the history books.

I have no problem waging the good war... been doing it for 36 years! I do think you have to choose your battles and leaders wisely.

I do respect someone "burnishing the pen" in waging the battle -- what I don't respect is one who burnishes the facts or misrepresents or elides them

IMO, DED is mostly a gossip who poses as a journalist... the exception is the occasional article which delivers an even-handed presentation of the subject.

It took me a long time to realize this and to take this decision -- as DED and I share a common like [for lack of a getter word] for Apple and general dislike for unethical competitors (including, MS, Google, Sammy).

Our household is MS-free *, Sammy-free and mostly Google-free. Those choices were made based on my experience, observations of others -- but, hopefully, a minimum of disinformation of the type usually spewed by DED.

I will comment further in response to a later post...
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #61 of 80
Originally Posted by macack View Post
I'm a Mac person but Android has iOS by the short hairs here.

 

That'd be because Android is just phone apps all the way down.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #62 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Oh dear... I have been considering abandoning AI forums because it appears that they are turning into a DED blog.

I followed him for years on his roughly drafted blog...

But I eventually left the site because of his biased reporting and demeaning anyone who disagreed with him.

DED is pro-Apple to an unsupportable degree... and anti everything MS, Google, Sammy, et al.


When DED sticks to the facts he often creates a reasoned, well-presented article (even if it tends to be verbose).


Mostly, though, DED seems to be following an agenda: promoting everything Apple and slamming anything competitive. He cites prior articles written by himself to support the so-called "facts" he is presenting -- while ignoring or eliding contrary facts or points of view.


Then when called on a point DED posts a rejoinder using a pseudonym "@corrections" -- reaffirming his "facts" and often demeaning the poster.

It is my understanding that participants in an AI forum are allowed a single user ID -- I don't understand why DED is allowed this special privilege.


FWIW, I have my own pro-Apple, anti-MS, Google, Sammy biases -- but I try not to let that color my reasoning (aside from jerking one's chain for fun).

Dick Applebaum

I wouldn't want to suggest you look at things any differently, just offer another perspective.

I think how much slack you give DED depends on your own level of moral outrage. For example, you say you have anti-MS, Google and Sammy biases. I would say these are logically justified moral positions, not biases.

Samsung cheats by poisoning the public's perception of Apple and HTC products, proven in the case of HTC, suspected with reason in the case of Apple. Their commercials are ageist cultural warfare against Apple. (Apple was careful to make the PC lovable, but they were guilty of Jobsian cultural war with the lemmings ad.) Samsung cheats by copying, and by using a stolen free operating system. Google undermines real effort in operating systems by giving away a stolen inferior product that poisons the mobile sphere generally, the way Microsoft has done with poisoning the PC technosphere with incompetent, bloated crapware for decades, to say nothing of their efforts to kill off rival competent systems like QuickTime and Netscape.

There's no room or time to treat these companies as morally equivalent competitors. They are enemies, out to subvert Apple (though Microsoft not so much anymore). This is a moment in technological and business history where we're faced with choosing between clashing systems. Will we stick with the same corrupt, exploitive, planned-obsolesence-driven schlock consumer tech practices that have plagued capitalism as practiced in rapacious cultures for many decades now, or will we choose to "ethicize" our technology and introduce care for the user as the guiding principle, instead of merely the making of money?

I think Dilger, Gruber, Elmer-DeWitt, Dediu and a few others are writing from that position, which is a mistake to call a pro-Apple bias. In other contexts, it's called being on the right side of history.

So I overlook any of DED's plasticity with his material. I like it when he rides out to Nevada to see what the graders are doing behind the chainlink fence, because on the weekends, Siri is still too busy to "take any requests right now." Apple needs to build data centers all around the world, and put up a few satellites too. They got a lot of work to do, and here's Android nickel and diming them with schlock attacks. Shameful. No punches should be pulled, in my view.

I think you do Gruber, Elmer-DeWitt, Dediu (and the few others) * a disservice by including DED in the group!

Other than that, I agree with most of what you say! However, I think the excesses of DED reportings only gives ammunition to the opposition and helps them to justify their "activities"... "after all, Apple (or by proxy, Apple fans and journalists) do it too".

* The aforementioned (and hopefully I) frequently compliment something "done well" by Apples biggest enemies... I cannot recall DED ever doing that except as part of a snide or backhanded presentation.


FWIW, I think the US is similarly challenged by poor leadership (both parties), cheating and misrepresentation of the truth.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #63 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

1tongue.gif

Nagromme, I understand and truly sympathize with your sense of fairness. I suffer 1smile.gif that gene, as well. However, I've become disillusioned with the lack of objectivity in reporting on Apple, possibly done by the unscrupulous to gain more site visits. There must be money in this and money, for some, trumps integrity. ...

I hear you--I can see room I the dialog for extreme statements, be they for humor of outrage, and I enjoy them myself! I make them, too.

(I'd just rather that stuff didn't mix in with the detailed fact-based reporting, because it diminishes some good, reasoned points, and makes those points easier for people to dismiss. John Gruber is accused of being a biased fanboy, but you'll almost never find him crossing the line away from reason and evidence, and when he does, he calls himself on it. At the same time, he doesn't dig up detailed facts and history and lay them out visually in the way DED does. I'm definitely glad to have DED's perspective and details, and follow his writing despite the grain of salt!)

And I definitely agree that a lot of the Apple misinformation and negative narratives (fire Tim Cook! Microsoft is the winner over Apple, so Google will be too!) are motivated by money! And then the FUD is repeated by emotion-driven multitudes who hate Apple without any real supportable reasons at all. (Some are my friends--it's fascinating!)

A small minority with half-hidden greed motivations, manipulating masses using trumped-up emotional issues instead of reason and evidence? One could draw a parallel with American politics, but I won't go there 1biggrin.gif

P.S. Extremists set the center point. If one side of any divide is deceptive and unreasonable and wrong, and the other side is rational and correct, then the "moderate middle" viewpoint--the allegedly "open-minded" and mainstream viewpoint, is one that's half wrong! And in the media, we have this weird thing now of "presenting both sides equally" even when one side is true and the other is a lie--which is a misunderstanding of a very good principle.

So, maybe it's better to have extremists to dismiss on both sides, so the perceived middle stance can be well-reasoned! (Unfortunately, in the case of Apple--as in politics if I were to go there—the extremism tends to be more on the wrong side, and the center point is badly skewed. Example: Android IS better for some users with very specific goals--but for the vast majority iOS is clearly the better choice, whether they get to try both and know that or not. The narrative, then, is one of two "equal" choices to weigh, when the reality should be more like the narrative of Linux vs Mac or even Windows: few would say Linux is a bad thing that should go away, but few would deny that it's the lesser choice for most computer users.)

+++ QFT
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #64 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

 

Apple has opened up iOS7 to accomplish much of what you mention above. Once iOS7 is released, most of the existing apps are ready to take full advantage of the improved communication between apps. In addition, multitasking will be vasty improved. 

 

I've read about inter-app audio (http://www.imore.com/ios-7-preview-inter-app-audio), but has Apple announced more general inter-app communication methods like Windows 8 contracts or android intents?

post #65 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

 

Never confuse sheer numbers with quality :) Android users know what I mean :p Throw out the junk of the App Store and the junk on Android, then compare again. Next, compare side-by-side those apps available for both iOS and Android. Not a pretty picture. Fragmentation is real, and its affects on app development are unavoidably massive.

 

And then on tablets we have the issue that commission-driven carrier salespeople aren't tossing bottom-end awful Android devices at uninformed shoppers. Android loses that major first-time-buyer advantage when it comes to tablets. (Not their only advantage of course: dirt-cheap devices sell on price alone around the world, and Apple won't make anything that poor; but those aren't big app-buying customers either.) People expecting Android to "catch up" and offer people as much as iOS seem to be forever reaching just over the horizon that never comes...

 

I've used both Apple and Android and the 'quality' of phone apps is very comparable- at least among the top 1000 apps.  The rest I really don't care about because I'm never going to load 93948202 apps on my phone.  Usually less than 50 even.

 

The point made though is that Apple users main argument currently *is* about volume of apps.  There are WAY MORE tablet optimized apps for iPad than Android tablets.  I agree with that statement, but its another one of those metrics Apple is going to lose and then the argument will have to be changed to something else again.  Android phone apps run much better on Android tablets than Apple phone apps run on iPads.  So Apple users assuming phone apps suck on tablets because that's the way it is in their ecosystem isn't really accurate.  The only drawback to phone apps on Android tablets is that they could do more with the real estate (additional menus etc).

 

There's room for both platforms to be great.  The argument just surprises me in its dogma.  It's like when I had my iPhone and the Blackberry users would always spout it was a toy and couldn't do real time push notifications or whatever.  It was just such a short sighted argument to make.  Did they not see the writing on the wall on how easy it was to make an iPhone do what only a Blackberry could then do- yet it was a near impossibility to make the Blackberries do what an iPhone could do.

post #66 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

 

I agree with that statement, but its another one of those metrics Apple is going to lose and then the argument will have to be changed to something else again.

 

When measurable differences don't work out in your favor just state that those metrics don't mean anything and shift focus to something that is subjective and can't be measured.  ;)

post #67 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

I'm just thankful that we have a few good men like this man on our side. I've seen sites, good Apple sites, lose honest Apple viewers, to the destruction of good argument, when taken over by Haters whose sole objective is the undermining of any arguments that support Apple's position. The MacObserver, for example, had a particularly nasty troll who was clever, informed and devious enough that he had the editors acquiescing on minor points as he nitpicked the site to harm such that the editors supported him when he was 'attacked', even questioned by less abled site members. In my opinion, when heart is lost, a grave injustice is done. That is when I had my turnaround. That is why I support the DED to the good, the honourable fight. He may approach the line and let a toe venture to the other side, but so what!. He is right and those who spiel lies and deception for their tired tirades trust the fire be returned.
 

 

Hmm, mhikl, you don't say?  The MacObserver, huh?  A particularly nasty troll?!?!?  Sounds vaguely familiar!!

 

1wink.gif

post #68 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

 

I've used both Apple and Android and the 'quality' of phone apps is very comparable- at least among the top 1000 apps.  The rest I really don't care about because I'm never going to load 93948202 apps on my phone.  Usually less than 50 even.

 

The point made though is that Apple users main argument currently *is* about volume of apps.  ...

 

Your stance seems religious in nature--as though you're working backwards from an emotion to find anything that supports it. Maybe not. I'd be interested in getting to the real facts.

 

"Apple users main argument is about volume" ... ?

 

I don't know what your evidence is for that, but regardless, it's wrong to argue that and if they do, it's not worth it. Volume of apps matters, but not beyond a certain point (it's a problem on Windows Phone, say) and only if quality is the same. It's secondary. Volume OF quality is what matters.

 

 

"the 'quality' of phone apps is very comparable- at least among the top 1000 apps"
 
You've used or seen the top 1000 apps on both platforms in enough depth to judge them? That sounds like it could be made up. (And the most popular apps are the only ones that matter? I don't think people are all as alike in the needs and uses as that.)
 
As for quality, I don't see the evidence you do--I see people with Android tablets struggling with mediocre apps, and I see people online looking for Android equivalents of great iOS apps and failing. I don't doubt you've had a different experience--but I'm not just guessing, I have evidence for what I've seen.
 
If you've seen something very different, then I'd be interested in your answer to my first question here. What ARE those Android apps that answer that?

 

 

"So Apple users assuming phone apps suck on tablets because that's the way it is in their ecosystem isn't really accurate."

 

No, we're not assuming--we've seen them. Some major examples are depicted in this very article. And you conveniently skip over the point that iPad users seldom HAVE to resort to running phone apps. It's like saying the iPad is poor because is has no defragger :)

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

 

When measurable differences don't work out in your favor just state that those metrics don't mean anything and shift focus to something that is subjective and can't be measured.  ;)

 

That is actually an excellent point. The Android fan position often amounts to: "quality doesn't matter." Rather than debate whether quality can be "measured," I will acknowledge that it matters more to iOS users than Android users. For certain.

 

"Quality doesn't matter" is actually a common anti-Apple position in general over the years: it's the root of bullet-point marketing. "Apple product does 9 things well. Non-Apple product does 10 things poorly. Non-Apple product is better! I measured the bullet points!" :) 

 

And yet... the same people who say quality can't be judged can still choose one Android app over another, or one Windows laptop over another, or whatever... based on quality! They seem to understand more than they let on...


Edited by nagromme - 8/15/13 at 6:45pm
post #69 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

That is actually an excellent point. The Android fan position often amounts to: "quality doesn't matter." Rather than debate whether quality can be "measured," I will acknowledge that it matters more to iOS users than Android users. For certain.

 

"Quality doesn't matter" is actually a common anti-Apple position in general over the years: it's the root of bullet-point marketing. "Apple product does 9 things well. Non-Apple product does 10 things poorly. Non-Apple product is better! I measured the bullet points!" :) 

 

And yet... the same people who say quality can't be judged can still choose one Android app over another, or one Windows laptop over another, or whatever... based on quality! They seem to understand more than they let on...

 

I hope you're not referring to me because I would never say that quality doesn't matter.  It most certainly does.  I could see where two people may disagree on what has better quality between two choices, but this is the first I've ever heard of someone saying that there's a common stance that quality doesn't matter.  Is this from online reading or from anecdotal evidence?  Do you have any sources to back up your assertion that Android users think that quality doesn't matter?


Edited by DroidFTW - 8/15/13 at 7:24pm
post #70 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

This is the kind of post that proves the worth of "discussion forums" on the web.

It is succinct and well reasoned.

Your point: "Apple has turned the greatest strength of Wintel and even open source against themselves" -- has made me stop and think about Wintel and Open Source deficiencies -- from another perspective.

I never thought about them that way, but the seeds of their destruction are built-in to their offerings!

No way can Intel or Microsoft abandon compatibility with the past -- it's an anchor holding back all their products.

As for open-source -- it becomes "rule by committee" and rises only to the level of the lowest common denominator.

By their very nature, they cannot make giant leaps forward -- or be nimble adding features or upgrades.!

Well, that is not really true.

With current state of technology, virtualization is already viable alternative for hard-coded legacy support. Yes, new Windows still has infamous Registry, but when you compare XP and Vista/7/8, you will see that they are very different beasts.

Current problem with Windows is pushing changes too far and, according to many, in a wrong direction - rather than lack of them.
post #71 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by macack View Post

iOS has not done phone-on-tablet as well since the beginning and still doesn't. I'm a Mac person but Android has iOS by the short hairs here. On my Android tablet (I own one of each system) a "phone app" will open full screen, behave properly, change horizons when I turn my tablet and is crisper than any iOS App that has been "2x"d. Fonts all work and look beautiful... it's a much better experience. And often I don't know a "phone app" is even a phone app unless I've looked specifically for that info. Some developers do design better than others but overall... seriously, Android's implementation is much better on this aspect. 

Has it occurred to you that maybe Apple screwed over the porting of phone apps on the ipad exactly so developers have to create optimised tablet apps?

post #72 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by abazigal View Post

Has it occurred to you that maybe Apple screwed over the porting of phone apps on the ipad exactly so developers have to create optimised tablet apps?

 

What an odd statement.

 

In what way have Apple "screwed over the porting of phone apps on the iPad"? I have two iPhone/iPod touch apps on the App Store. They run identically on both my iPod touch and my iPad. It's possible to run them at 2xon the iPad (which can be better or not depending on the app) but obviously can make things look rather pixellated in which case just run the app at standard resolution and it will behave just as if it were running on an iPod touch.

 

The app I'm writing at present is Universal which means that it runs at full size and natively on both the 3.5" and 4" iPhones/iPod touches and will run full screen at native resolution on the iPad including Retina display on all of those devices. Apple introduced Universal apps at the same time as the iPad and as a developer I can choose when I create an app to make it iPhone only, iPad only or Universal. It's amazing that after Apple stating this at events and it being on their website that some people still find it so hard to understand.

post #73 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMG View Post

Hmm, mhikl, you don't say?  The MacObserver, huh?  A particularly nasty troll?!?!?  Sounds vaguely familiar!!

1wink.gif
R U Ron from TMO? If so, cheers bud. 1wink.gif

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #74 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

I agree that the quality of android apps is poor. I use the iWork apps regularly for creating and editing documents. I bought a Samsung tab2 7.0 because I wanted to try android. The Tab2 came with Polaris Office and I bought Quick Office Pro HD (google owned) and Kingsoft Office (free). None of these compare favourably to the iWork apps. Whilst they all open documents ok they are lacking when it comes to creating documents. Polaris doesn't have a spell checker, Quick Office can't create charts in spreadsheets an none have transitions in presentations. Plus the lack of screen real estate makes them virtually unusable with a soft keyboard. All in all office apps on android are a huge disappointment. I can actually create documents more easily using iWork in my iPhone 3GS.

 

Office Suite Pro does both.  Transitions in slides as well as charts in spreadsheet.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobisystems.editor.office_with_reg

 

Also, the Asus Transformer (which I had) and the HP Slatebook's (which I may buy) tablet/laptop keyboard are excellent for typing.  Because they lock in and can be carted around as a single unit, I find them far superior to carrying a separate BT keyboard and mounting the tablet on a table. I can keep it on my lap and type.

post #75 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

P.S. I never get an answer (maybe there is none?) but for Android fans: what are the great, tablet-optimized exclusive apps for Android?

 

Here's a list of the top Android Paid apps

https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/topselling_paid

 

SwiftKey is an excellent keyboard (tablet optimized) app.  You aren't going to see that on iOS.

 

Nova Launcher is an excellent launcher.  You won't see that on iOS either.  It allows me to change transitions, add/removes pages,  multiple docks, change the L&F etc.  Plus allows me to backup and restore my desktop settings across devices.

 

HD Widgets/Beautiful Widgets.  I have a completely customized clock/weather widget with a widget for multiple timezones.  The widget also has some quick toggle built in.  In addition, I have Google's "My Library" widget from which I can quickly launch the last book, magazine, song, or video I was reading or watching.  At a glance, I can see the meetings for the day and the week with the Calendar widget.  The Google Keep widget allows me to quickly jot down a note or make a list.  Synced to the cloud so if I make one on the PC before I leave home, it's right on my screen on the phone when shopping without having to search for an launch a tasks app.  I used to have a Shazam widget on my phone so it could find a song that was playing.  But I now use Google Now for that.

 

NotificationToggle allows me to add a notification menu that houses some quick apps and toggles that are not in the default OS toggles.  One of the first app I add is Google Gestures.  When I need to get to a contact, I drop down the notification shade, launch Gestures and start scrawling the letters.  I don't recall the last time I used the Contacts app.  Neither of these apps are tablet "optimized", but work like a charm on phones and tablets.  Not possible on iOS.

 

There are innumerable game emulators.  I'm not much of a gamer.  So I have no idea how well they work or if they make any sense on a tablet.  But it's an option for me to have checked out if I was so inclined.

 

One of the reasons, why I sold my iPad was due to the lack of an exposed file system which wouldn't let me move photos around in folders to create my own galleries.  Root Explorer is a top paid app.  I used to use it.  Now I use Solid Explorer which is tablet optimized and extremely well.  Apart from dual view files systems, I can also move files in and out of FTP, SFTP, Samba shares and cloud storage like Box and DropBox.  Won't see that on iOS.

 

Titanium Backup, not tablet optimized.  Would be better if it was.  It's not getting any awards for UI anyway.  But it's rock solid and I don't know if there are apps like that on iOS (maybe in Cydia).

 

Google Play Music which I just love.  Apparently it will be coming to iOS soon, But given how gimped Google Now is on iOS, I wonder how good the experience would be for Google Play Music on iOS.

 

The only app that I missed from the iPad was the excellent Flipboard.  And it's now available on Android - optimized for tablets.

 

I saw references to GarageBand.  I'm not a musician so have no idea how good it is or what the quality of music apps is on Android.  But an amateur musician friend of mine uses Caustic 2 (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.singlecellsoftware.caustic).  That doesn't look like it could win many UI awards, but he really seems to like it.

post #76 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

 

One of the reasons, why I sold my iPad was due to the lack of an exposed file system which wouldn't let me move photos around in folders to create my own galleries.  Root Explorer is a top paid app.  I used to use it.  Now I use Solid Explorer which is tablet optimized and extremely well.  Apart from dual view files systems, I can also move files in and out of FTP, SFTP, Samba shares and cloud storage like Box and DropBox.  Won't see that on iOS.

 

I'll be giving Google Gestures a try as that sounds like it will seamlessly merge into my setup.  ES File Explorer is also a solid choice for what you're describing above.  You might already be familiar with it as it's very popular as well, but it's what I use and I love it.

post #77 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

 

 

One of the reasons, why I sold my iPad was due to the lack of an exposed file system which wouldn't let me move photos around in folders to create my own galleries.  Root Explorer is a top paid app.  I used to use it.  Now I use Solid Explorer which is tablet optimized and extremely well.  Apart from dual view files systems, I can also move files in and out of FTP, SFTP, Samba shares and cloud storage like Box and DropBox.  Won't see that on iOS.

 

 

You are not credible. The iPhoto app will let you create your own galleries. You don't know? The fact is for iOS, your use various apps to play with files.  

post #78 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

You are not credible. The iPhoto app will let you create your own galleries. You don't know? The fact is for iOS, your use various apps to play with files.  

 

Does it do that now?  That's good.  I can assure you that I couldn't do it on the original iPad that I bought.  I looked all over to be able to get this functionality.  I simply couldn't find any app that would do that.  I even used a file system app (can't recall now), but it wasn't particularly good.  And it certainly couldn't help me with the photos since the photos were not on any easily accessed file system and I think the galleries were in some database and not file system driven.  The only reason I bought the iPad was so that I could leave my laptop behind and use the iPad to download the photos from my DSLR when I was on the road.  At the time I was using a couple of storage viewers if I didn't take my laptop.  They had tiny screens and you couldn't really see the quality of the photos.  The iPad seemed like a terrific alternative.  So I bought the $40 adapter (which wouldn't work on my iPod Touch - that had its own $40 adapter!), hooked it to the iPad, connected the camera and downloaded the photos.  It worked like an absolute charm.  I could see the photos and cull the bad ones.  Then I took another set of photos, downloaded them and it created another album.  Some of the photos on that day I wanted to move to the previous day's album.  Couldn't do it.  I googled and found that the only way to do that was to connect it to the PC, move the photos on iTunes and then transfer them back to the iPad.  WTF!  So much for a post PC world!

 

It pretty much spent the next few months gathering dust until I bought the Asus Transformer.  I connected my camera to the the tablet using the universal USB host and transferred the photos.  Moved them around using a file manager and I had a tablet I could use on the road.  I sold the iPad the following week.

 

If the iPhoto app now manages the organization of images in galleries from within the app on the tablet itself, that's good.  But I can do all that (and more) easily on my Nexus 10 now.

post #79 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

 

I'll be giving Google Gestures a try as that sounds like it will seamlessly merge into my setup.  ES File Explorer is also a solid choice for what you're describing above.  You might already be familiar with it as it's very popular as well, but it's what I use and I love it.

 

I tried a lot of file explorers (including ES File Explorer) along with Root Explorer.  I preferred Root Explorer for accessing system files.  But now I use Solid Explorer.  It's solid, feature rich and pleasing to the eye.  Gesture Search really is such a productive app.

post #80 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

 

Does it do that now?  That's good.  I can assure you that I couldn't do it on the original iPad that I bought.  I looked all over to be able to get this functionality.  I simply couldn't find any app that would do that.  I even used a file system app (can't recall now), but it wasn't particularly good.  And it certainly couldn't help me with the photos since the photos were not on any easily accessed file system and I think the galleries were in some database and not file system driven.  The only reason I bought the iPad was so that I could leave my laptop behind and use the iPad to download the photos from my DSLR when I was on the road.  At the time I was using a couple of storage viewers if I didn't take my laptop.  They had tiny screens and you couldn't really see the quality of the photos.  The iPad seemed like a terrific alternative.  So I bought the $40 adapter (which wouldn't work on my iPod Touch - that had its own $40 adapter!), hooked it to the iPad, connected the camera and downloaded the photos.  It worked like an absolute charm.  I could see the photos and cull the bad ones.  Then I took another set of photos, downloaded them and it created another album.  Some of the photos on that day I wanted to move to the previous day's album.  Couldn't do it.  I googled and found that the only way to do that was to connect it to the PC, move the photos on iTunes and then transfer them back to the iPad.  WTF!  So much for a post PC world!

 

It pretty much spent the next few months gathering dust until I bought the Asus Transformer.  I connected my camera to the the tablet using the universal USB host and transferred the photos.  Moved them around using a file manager and I had a tablet I could use on the road.  I sold the iPad the following week.

 

If the iPhoto app now manages the organization of images in galleries from within the app on the tablet itself, that's good.  But I can do all that (and more) easily on my Nexus 10 now.


I think the iPhoto app was released later than the iPad.  I also believe iPhoto app will have the same functionality of the iPhoto application on the Mac. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Canalys: Android lacks the 'rigorously managed, high-quality, optimized' apps seen on Apple's iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Canalys: Android lacks the 'rigorously managed, high-quality, optimized' apps seen on Apple's iPad