or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to offer 'iPhone 5S' in new gold color and 128GB storage option, insider says

Apple to offer 'iPhone 5S' in new gold color and 128GB storage option, insider says

post #1 of 81
In a report obtained by AppleInsider on Thursday, well-informed KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo offers his predictions on Apple's anticipated next-generation iPhone, including a new 128GB storage option and a gold colorway.

Flash
Artist's conception of a possible iPhone 5S. Source: AppleInsider

Kuo points out in his note investors that the so-called "iPhone 5S," will carry over many of the features already established with the current iPhone 5, including the 4-inch screen form factor.

The analyst predicts Apple will make the usual processor buff, this time to a new A7 system-on-chip design with 1GB of LPDDR3 RAM. The latest chip is expected to be of Apple's own design based on the ARMv8 architecture, suggesting efficiency may be increased by up to 20 percent. Because Apple controls both the operating system and hardware for the iPhone 5S, it can optimize the faster LPDDR3 RAM spec for the A7 SoC, keeping the amount of addressable memory to 1GB.

The phone's rear-facing camera will also be tweaked. While the sensor unit will remain untouched, the iPhone 5S shooter will use a larger f2.0 aperture lens assembly with dual LED flashes.

As for the widely rumored fingerprint sensor, Kuo reiterated the view he expressed in a separate note last week, saying the package will likely be embedded in a sapphire glass home button.

For storage, Kuo expects Apple to add on a new option for a capacious 128GB of on-board flash memory, the same change the company made to the fourth generation iPad in February.

Finally, a new option for a gold casing is expected to be offered alongside the traditional black and, with the iPhone 5, silver colors. Gold parts purportedly bound for the 5S were leaked in June, though an accompanying chassis sporting the new color has yet to surface.

Contrary to some predictions, Kuo doesn't see Apple implementing near-field communication (NFC) in the iPhone 5S.

Apple is rumored to be prepping for a Sept. 10 iPhone announcement, at which the company is expected to launch the iPhone 5S and possibly a less expensive handset dubbed the "iPhone 5C."
post #2 of 81
If true, I look forward to buying a 128GB iPhone 6 next year. Great for large audio/video library folks and movie storage and streaming. Nice.
post #3 of 81
128GB... cool

Gold body... dumb

BTW... after none if these predictions come true... will anyone interview KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo to ask "what were you thinkin' bro?"
post #4 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

128GB... cool

Gold body... dumb

BTW... after none if these predictions come true... will anyone interview KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo to ask "what were you thinkin' bro?"

Kuo has a pretty decent track record, so I generally take what he says seriously.  As for the gold body being dumb....don't judge it till you see it. It all depends upon the shade of gold Apple picks.

post #5 of 81
I want the gold one just for the hell of it.
post #6 of 81
Gold color is a color preferable by Asian and Arabian so learn to be thinking globally.
post #7 of 81
Question -

I'm not familiar with the fingerprint scanning tech - is this possible to be white (and gold) as well as black? I'm curious if the homebutton for the White iPhone will now be black.
post #8 of 81
Quote:

Gold body... dumb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post

As for the gold body being dumb....don't judge it till you see it. It all depends upon the shade of gold Apple picks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzhong168 View Post

Gold color is a color preferable by Asian and Arabian so learn to be thinking globally.

From all the leaks the"gold" color doesn't really look gold.

It looked to me more like a champagne color which could be nice and high end when paired with white glass.
post #9 of 81
Gold is pimp. I suspect it will be very popular in the urban communities that like the flashy look.
post #10 of 81

Needs diamonds.  Gold encrusted with diamonds.

post #11 of 81

Can someone provide justification for the odd expression "colorways"?

Why use an obscure (and arguably less correct, according to Wiktionary) term, when a simpler one will do?

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

post #12 of 81
I don't know who you are, but if its money you want I can tell you I don't have any. What I do have are a particular set of skills. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. Stop using the phrase "color ways" and that will be the end of it. If you don't, I will find you and i will be forced to post whiney little missives.

The choice is yours.
post #13 of 81
Quote:

128GB... cool

Gold body... dumb

There's nothing wrong with offering it in a gold color.   Lots of people have them sent out to have them done in gold.  Personally, I wish they would at least polished Aluminum and then have them PVD coated.  they can do all kinds of different coatings and they are anti-corrosive and they can get all kinds of colors, Bronze, Gold, Black Chrome, rainbow, and specific colors.  Zippo does this with their lighters as do some knife mfg that make stainless steel knives where they get them PVD coated.

128 GB of storage?  I'm surprised they haven't done that already.

I do wish they packed at least 2G of RAM in these devices.

post #14 of 81

colorway does not spell checx

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #15 of 81
The 128GB storage option is my #1 reason for wanting to upgrade from my 64GB iPhone 5. If they offered a 256GB model it would still not be enough for my voracious appetite for more storage capacity. 1smile.gif
Edited by Multimedia - 8/16/13 at 5:09am

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

post #16 of 81
If this 'gold' phone is legit I think it will be more champagne colored as leaks indicate that. Though I am surprised we haven't seen a gold/champagne case leak as more often than not this stuff leaks.

apple-iphone-5s-champagne-button-set-original-new-3pcs-set.jpg
post #17 of 81
Ebay sells an iPhone 5 Goldplated for about $2,500. It only a 16GB version. The 64GB goes for $3K! LOL! Apple is going to put these seller out of commission with the 5S!
post #18 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

I don't know who you are, but if its money you want I can tell you I don't have any. What I do have are a particular set of skills. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. Stop using the phrase "color ways" and that will be the end of it. If you don't, I will find you and i will be forced to post whiney little missives.

The choice is yours.

Quote of the year
post #19 of 81

I think the aperture is 2.8 current, so not a huge change. Increase to f1.4 and you really have a low light camera!

Apple would not do a Gold model like a Pro phone would they? Increased processor speed, more ram, and the larger storage? Sounds as much unlike Apple as a gold phone : )

post #20 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

If this 'gold' phone is legit I think it will be more champagne colored as leaks indicate that. Though I am surprised we haven't seen a gold/champagne case leak as more often than not this stuff leaks.

apple-iphone-5s-champagne-button-set-original-new-3pcs-set.jpg

I don't know what type of gold plating was used, but Apple anodizes the cases of the current iPhone 5 and I think the anodizing is more like any of these

post #21 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

just try proofreading what you write. just a little. c'mon. but you won't. it's obvious you & ai don't give a rat's behind about the quality of what you spew ... just get those page views and ad impressions. i would certainly never hire you, and i know at least two other tech writing establishments that would not either. so don't quit your day job.

He did apparently tweak the "Minor tweak..." non-sentence (nonsense?), so whiney little missives do seem to be working.
Edited by JONOROM - 8/15/13 at 8:33pm

Macintosh 512Ke.......

Macintosh 512Ke.......

post #22 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzhong168 View Post

I don't think that's the reason. I think they are releasing the cheaper 5C, but don't want people to think they're taking Apple low-end, so are releasing the Gold iPhone at the same time to counter that perception.

post #23 of 81
Will they ditch the 16 GB iPhone ($649.00) and make the 32 GB iPhone the starting model or make the 128 GB the $949.00 phone?

You think as much as Apple touts its app store quantity of apps, they would update the storage capacity to contain those apps.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #24 of 81

I hope they make the low end 32gb and keep the 128gb at $849- what the 64gb is currently.  But that is almost definitely wishful thinking....

Edit: and just as I posted, so did Rot'n.  :)

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #25 of 81
Bling! Bling!
post #26 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

He did apparently tweak the "Minor tweak..." non-sentence (nonsense?), so whiney little missives do seem to be working.

I wanted to threaten the writer for the use of "colorways" but I've heard you shouldn't threaten someone if you aren't willing to follow through. Whiney little missives are the extent to which I'm willing to follow through. But as you point out they can be effective.
post #27 of 81
You call that a headline? Here's your AppleInsider headline!
"Apple to offer 'iPhone 5s' in new gold color as plastic Samsung Galaxy sales climb"

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #28 of 81
Someone on MacRumors mocked up what a champagne colored 5 design would look like. It actually looks quite nice.

13600131.jpg
post #29 of 81
Quote:

Someone on MacRumors mocked up what a champagne colored 5 design would look like. It actually looks quite nice.

13600131.jpg

Does look nice. If it's anything close to this, I can't wait to see what this looks like with iOS 7.

post #30 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

Can someone provide justification for the odd expression "colorways"?
Why use an obscure (and arguably less correct, according to Wiktionary) term, when a simpler one will do?

"Colorways" comes from the apparel industry, AFAIK. It's dumb. Really dumb. I had to do a double-take when I first heard it. No one should use it when describing consumer electronics, IMO.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #31 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

If true, I look forward to buying a 128GB iPhone 6 next year. Great for large audio/video library folks and movie storage and streaming. Nice.

Why do you need 128GB if you stream movies?

post #32 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Because if you don't have an Android phone you have apps. And you might buy music. And take photos you might want to keep, including nice panos that are huge. 

post #33 of 81
Quote:

13600131.jpg

That's a very tasteful color. I approve of this wholeheartedly.

It makes me want Sparkling Jell-O. Remember that? I say remember that because I'm reading right now that it's off the market, which sucks. I'm just now remembering it after however many years it has been, and how I loved it. I saw that iPhone and remembered the taste of it… Haven't even thought about it for, what, a decade?

… Great. I'm depressed enough about my memory as it is without remembering that I've probably lost everything I've ever actually liked in my life.

Anyway, I like this mockup.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #34 of 81
Quote:

128GB... cool

Gold body... dumb

The gold iPhone will be sold only in upscale jewelry stores along with a similar version of the iWatch... Only obtainable in places Oprah shops and $32,000 purses are offered. 

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #35 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Because some people don't want to ever... EVER see or deal with a memory low message...

post #36 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Because if you don't have an Android phone you have apps. And you might buy music. And take photos you might want to keep, including nice panos that are huge. 

So what do you think, more money for 128GB? Or last years 64GB price.
post #37 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

From all the leaks the"gold" color doesn't really look gold.

It looked to me more like a champagne color which could be nice and high end when paired with white glass.

Very few metals look as (pure) gold, the colour of which results from the arrangement of valence electrons and apparently, relativistic effects (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold). This diagram from Wikipedia illustrates. A gold plated finish would look spectacular but anything else, less so. Gold finish is very popular in parts of the world, whether another finish with the appearance of gold will hold up is yet to be seen.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #38 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

"Colorways" comes from the apparel industry, AFAIK. It's dumb. Really dumb. I had to do a double-take when I first heard it. No one should use it when describing consumer electronics, IMO.

Colorways is a colorist term. Since apparel is the fastest color changing segment of all products it get the most attention, however color trends affect home furnishings, carpets, drapes and paints, linoleum, tiles, and even door hardware... although these colorways change much slower. The color "red" of today's car is not the same as "red" was a few years back.

It's hard to believe that the changing colors of tableware is not random, but are actually forecast years in advance. The same applies to the colors Apple choses for iPods and iPhones... it is a secretive and viable industry and anyone that isn't in step with the flow looks ridiculous. Remember the brown Zune? 

post #39 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

So what do you think, more money for 128GB? Or last years 64GB price.

Good question... Apple may up the price just to hold out that option for people to whom price is not a consideration. You see them walking down Rodeo Drive wearing $5000 jeans with the knees ripped out.

post #40 of 81
I will admit... the champagne color looks pretty good.

But that's not what I thought of when I heard the word "gold"
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple to offer 'iPhone 5S' in new gold color and 128GB storage option, insider says
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to offer 'iPhone 5S' in new gold color and 128GB storage option, insider says