or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to offer 'iPhone 5S' in new gold color and 128GB storage option, insider says

Apple to offer 'iPhone 5S' in new gold color and 128GB storage option, insider says - Page 2

post #41 of 81

An f-2.0 lens would be a significant improvement. Tiny cameras suffer not from a lack of megapixels but from low signal/noise, and f-2.0 would shine twice the light on the sensor as f-2.8 (though the current one is f-2.4, I believe). 

post #42 of 81
It is indeed 2.4 now, really like this rumour of a f2.0 lens. And more storage the better, even though I don't fill up my 64GB now, it makes it easier to sell to, well, nerds like me.

Gold can also look tacky
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #43 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

From all the leaks the"gold" color doesn't really look gold.

It looked to me more like a champagne color which could be nice and high end when paired with white glass.

Sounds like it's going to be sensational and wildly popular if this is indeed true.

Apple will no doubt choose a subtle, elegant shade of gold (hmmm white gold, anyone?) that will appeal to the feminine (not pimp) side of consumer taste. 

Imma stick with my favourite, silver, though...

post #44 of 81
Kitchen is too ha now. Gold is absolutely nonsense!
post #45 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

The 128GB storage option is my #1 reason for wanting to upgrade from my 64GB iPhone 5. If they offered a 256GB model it would still not be enough for my voracious ram appetite. 1smile.gif

That'a storage capacity not RAM, i.e. more space for video, game and song FILES, not application memory space for running larger and more powerful programs...

post #46 of 81
Looks like a full 12 hour battery life device at least, with the new A7.
World class fingerprint security will lead to so many new applications.
Those are huge unique features... That's just awesome.

Physicians and Pharmacists need huge medical databases locally in their pockets so... Boom!

Lots of people in Asia and the Middle East want everything in gold, so... Boom!
post #47 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Because some people don't want to ever... EVER see or deal with a memory low message...

So why is 128Gb great for streaming movies? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Because if you don't have an Android phone you have apps. And you might buy music. And take photos you might want to keep, including nice panos that are huge. 

Yes, I understand why 128Gb would be great for storing stuff. But streaming isn't storing stuff so why is 128GB great for streaming movies (as in the original comment)?

post #48 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I don't think that's the reason. I think they are releasing the cheaper 5C, but don't want people to think they're taking Apple low-end, so are releasing the Gold iPhone at the same time to counter that perception.

Interesting thought. Agree to a certain extent, but I think it's to give another colour option for the high end model to give people more reasons to choose a 5S over a 5C.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #49 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Someone on MacRumors mocked up what a champagne colored 5 design would look like. It actually looks quite nice.

13600131.jpg

Exquisite!
post #50 of 81

Awesome!  Beige is back!

post #51 of 81
I wish Kuo wouldn't have used the word gold because the volume button parts leak indicate something more like the color of these cars below than gaudy bling gold. I don't think anyone would look at the cars below and go eww, gross.

Lexus-RX-350-Exterior-SatinCashmereMetallic-18FiveSpokeAlloy.jpg

8482_cc0640_032_bg.png

b13_bf1fl_05b2.jpg
post #52 of 81
Apple NEEDS to release a 5" gold-plated iPhone with a diamond encrusted home button. Failure to do so will only expedite Apple's doom. They are losing lots of sales to the 1%.
post #53 of 81

A gold iPhone- -now that's what I call innovation!

Matches my gold iPad mini!

Edited by pazuzu - 8/16/13 at 9:42am

Where's the new Apple TV?

And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...

Where's the new Apple TV?

And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...
post #54 of 81
I don't care what color it is, I'm due for an upgrade. I'm taken the 128GB if this is true. I have my 64GB tapped out with music and movies. If I have down time, I'm never bored.

I'll take it in gold. What I would love is Product (RED). Like a hot sports car.

Oh yea, the new phones are supplanting sports cars for wiener compensation. And I'm ok with a shiny brand new gold 128GB iPhone. ;-)
oneof52
oneof52
post #55 of 81
I guess many Chinese love this as it can show off their wealth .
post #56 of 81
I'd take a 1TB model if they made such a thing... One can never have enough storage when dealing with audio and video files.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #57 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakamono View Post

Needs diamonds.  Gold encrusted with diamonds.

true dat the gold will match my grill an it need somethin spinnin on it and some neon back lights i is down wid what da peeps of da world want i aint live in no bubble i dont need no punctuation caps or spellin 

post #58 of 81
Quote:

Someone on MacRumors mocked up what a champagne colored 5 design would look like. It actually looks quite nice.

The white contrasts quite heavily with the champagne - sometimes that has a nicer effect. I imagine they'd have matching lettering on the metal rather than silver.

post #59 of 81

Gold? Gross.

post #60 of 81
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post
Apple NEEDS to release a 5" gold-plated iPhone with a diamond encrusted home button.

post #61 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The white contrasts quite heavily with the champagne - sometimes that has a nicer effect. I imagine they'd have matching lettering on the metal rather than silver.

Images (Click to show)

I like that first one even more.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #62 of 81

for what it's worth:

http://iphone.91.com/news/jrrd/130815/21598865.html

http://www.ctocio.com.cn/cloud/316/12690816.shtml

http://tech.ifeng.com/digi/mobile/new/detail_2013_08/15/28653007_1.shtml

Not sure if these links will work, since i'm sitting in my hotel room in Beijing searching the Chinese news tech rumor mills.

Oh, here's some shots if the links don't work:

Edited by antkm1 - 8/16/13 at 9:30am
post #63 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Quote:

13600131.jpg

Exquisite!

I agree. (And, nice word -- haven't heard it used in a while!).

post #64 of 81
That gold phone is FUGLY. guess people with gold teeth will love it tho....
iPhone 6 Plus 5.5" YES!
iPhone 6 Plus 5.5" YES!
post #65 of 81
Gold as in a titanium nitride coating to protect the notoriously scratch and ding-able iPhone 5's aluminium body from such damage...maybe? Might just replace the silver version if true, if not then maybe they'll clear-coat the silver version or something to provide a level of scratch resistance for its aluminium body.

PS. Champagne gold with ivory coloured glass might look a bit nicer, more integrated than the white.
Edited by 1983 - 8/16/13 at 10:49am
post #66 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Not sure if these links will work, since i'm sitting in my hotel room in Beijing searching the Chinese news tech rumor mills.

Oh, here's some shots if the links don't work:

Some of the cases have to be mods like these:

http://www.anostyle.com/order-now
http://www.goldgenie.com/in/gold-iphone-5.php

I would think any gold parts would be a custom mod. I quite like the deep colors shown on that first site:

I'd have liked that in the iPhone 5C (not two-tone) and these would also replace the iPod Touch. It would need something to be radio transparent but the iPod Touch works fine with the extra plastic bit on the back.

As for the green case, it's interesting that the picture there has a white logo and text now because the other cases shown before had black. This strongly suggests some of these are 3rd party. Apple likely wouldn't put black logos on the back of a green phone if it had a white front and the colored models would have a white front.
post #67 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Yep I'm sure the logo and letting would match the champagne color. Not sure what I think about the first mockup. It almost makes the phone look antique or kind of dirty. But is the white too much contrast? Will be interesting to see if any of this pans out come September.
post #68 of 81

Goldmember: I love gooooooold.

post #69 of 81

Nice to see that AI is finally back to some good old, product-related rumor-mongering.....

Yea. The drought is over!

post #70 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

Gold as in a titanium nitride coating to protect the notoriously scratch and ding-able iPhone 5's aluminium body from such damage...maybe? Might just replace the silver version if true, if not then maybe they'll clear-coat the silver version or something to provide a level of scratch resistance for its aluminium body.

PS. Champagne gold with ivory coloured glass might look a bit nicer, more integrated than the white.

They are anodizing the aluminum cases currently and as far as I know and in the future.  I think it's a cost issue. PVD coating is more expensive than anodizing, plus it might be easier to do in China since they might not have the equipment plentifully available.  PVD processing equipment isn't cheap, but anodizing is dirt cheap to do.

I would love it if they used PVD coating.  They could actually get REAL 24K Gold sputtered with Titanium Nitride, but they could also do Titanium Oxide coatings which are really cool.

PVD coating is done in special tanks and they are only so big and can cram only so many products per tank load.  Since they are making these things by the tens of millions, it would probably take a LOT of large tanks to do these things fast enough and it may not be feasible due to the number of cases they can fit in a tank load and how many tanks are available.   Those tanks are RIPPING expensive to purchase.  Anodizing is just basically dunking in a big tank of a chemical. 

I believe that the large tanks for PVD coatings can cost upwards of $1 Million bucks per tank.  They will charge somewhere around $800 per tank load but they can only cram so many parts in per tank load.  To do anodizing, it's just buying a big tank to put a chemical in it, the tank itself may cost in the low thousands, and they fill it with cheap chemicals and then just dunk the cases in it.  To set up a plant to process PVD coating as many cases as they do would probably cost so much money, it would take them decades to recoup it. Anodizing is just the most common way to color aluminum.  There is also chrome plating, but I think that might be more expensive since they have to polish the aluminum before hand and during the plating process they have to polish each part and there are more steps involved, at least to do a decent job.

They can get that rich gold look to aluminum by anodizing, but it's not as durable as PVD.  PVD is probably the most durable as they use it for drill bits and cutting tools to help keep the sharpness of the cutting tool.  It's cool stuff, but it's just too expensive for large production runs of this nature.  If Apple was only selling tens of thousands, they probably do that, but it would be more costly.  Powercoating is another thing that could be done, but it's also more expensive than anodizing, from my experience.

Have you ever priced a titanium nitride drill bit to one that isn't?  They are a LOT more expensive.  They hold their sharpness longer, but at a lot higher cost for the actual part.  For certain applications, it's cost effective.  But for other applications it's just too costly.

Edited by drblank - 8/16/13 at 12:04pm
post #71 of 81
Quote:
BTW... after none if these predictions come true... will anyone interview KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo to ask "what were you thinkin' bro?"

Of course not, they will be proclaiming that Apple has once again fallen short of EVERYONE's expectations and disappointed Apple fans and left room for the competitors to catch up.

And then everyone else will rush to market with what they think Apple should have included only to fall short of the level of user experience that we expect from Apple devices. and next year when Apple does implement those missing features they will be done right and will be touted as the way everyone else SHOULD have done it all along.

And the pendulum keeps swinging, try to keep time please.
post #72 of 81

re: 128 GB storage

If Apple is going to have 60 fps or 120 fps 1080p video recording, you'll need that 128 GB and then some.

I'm tempted. I have 64 GB. It's been great not having to worry or manage my storage space. 128 GB would be awesome, especially if the "5S" storage configs are 32/64/128 for the traditional subsidized 200/300/400 USD price points (650/750/850 unsubsidized). If lossless audio becomes a real option, I'm sure there will be audiophiles who'll want it too.

post #73 of 81
Sammy just announce the Galaxy S 4 Gold edition.
post #74 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Sammy just announce the Galaxy S 4 Gold edition.

Gold colored plastic?

post #75 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

As much as I like Apple products some people take this BLING BS a little too far.

Actually, I like the Silver aluminum, but with a black front bezel.

Oh well, we'll never be totally satisfied.  (with a hint of sarcasm) :-)

post #76 of 81
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
Gold colored plastic?

Silver-colored, actually.

post #77 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Silver-colored, actually.

A silver colored Gold Edition?  Oh, OK. I forgot, it's Samsung we're talking about....

I still think the Padfone is the funniest product of the last 12 months.  PADFONE!  YES!

I watch that product release, it's about the funniest piece of comedy ever done by a tech company.

post #78 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

"Colorways" comes from the apparel industry, AFAIK. It's dumb. Really dumb. I had to do a double-take when I first heard it. No one should use it when describing consumer electronics, IMO.
Gold ok if added choice, I would go for it really. The 128 gb model of it comes out apple should still limit 3 models, this year totally should just have 32,64,128 models at same prices as last year ($200-16>32 etc.) so it would not cause to many choices, or maybe 4 choices ok. 4 carriers, 3 colors, 3 flash storage N make it all limited choices. iPhone 128 flash hold well, these storage captivity selections are getting closer to laptops now.
post #79 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Gold ok if added choice, I would go for it really. The 128 gb model of it comes out apple should still limit 3 models, this year totally should just have 32,64,128 models at same prices as last year ($200-16>32 etc.) so it would not cause to many choices, or maybe 4 choices ok. 4 carriers, 3 colors, 3 flash storage N make it all limited choices. iPhone 128 flash hold well, these storage captivity selections are getting closer to laptops now.

Yeah, it would kind of pointless to sync up a 128GB iPhone to a 128GB MacBook Air 1wink.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #80 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yeah, it would kind of pointless to sync up a 128GB iPhone to a 128GB MacBook Air 1wink.gif

part of the reason is these cameras are taking higher res shots for photos and videos, apps, and music and all of that eats up flash storage fast.

Some people are just storage hogs.  If that's their thing, then they are demanding more flash storage.

I don't have a problem with them offering that much storage. I think by now, flash prices have come down, so maybe it's time for them to keep the same list prices, but double the amount of flash.

I do think Apple needs to release a $400 phone with decent specs.  They also need to come out with a larger screen model, and update the existing 4inch model.

Different colored cases?  Well, I guess.  I personally don't really care much about that as I do having other features.  But if the kids and families want more colors, then that's their thing.  They will only produce and sell the more popular colors.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple to offer 'iPhone 5S' in new gold color and 128GB storage option, insider says
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to offer 'iPhone 5S' in new gold color and 128GB storage option, insider says