or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's A7 SoC expected to be 20% more efficient, debut in 'iPhone 5S'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's A7 SoC expected to be 20% more efficient, debut in 'iPhone 5S' - Page 2

post #41 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

 

Yes, the iPhone 5 sold 60M copies with its 4" screen. But time and perception have changed. A friend of mine got an iPhone 5, after 3GS, after a BlackBerry. He was at first wowed by the iPhone 5, screen size was not a problem. Now it is. Just a few weeks back, he said that if there wasn't a larger screen, he would go to Android next. Perceptions have changed. 60M people bought the 4" screen because they thought it was adequate for them. No doubt somebody still do. But I'm seeing more and more people thinking they need bigger screen. Call it by-product or brain-washing by the Android vendors or whatever, the truth remains: customers' perception—your reality. Perhaps some 5 to 10M of those iPhone 5 owner now want bigger phones; or may be another 5 or 10M customers chose not to buy and iPhone 5 because of the screen size.

 

The market is sating that Apple definitely need a bigger screen phone as their flagship. Apple has been late to the game, and none of the news we recently heard told that Apple was catching up. Yes, there are unique features to the iPhone, but if those rank below the bigger screen, Apple just loses a sale. What I want to see is a more diverse range of iPhone: an iPhone Classic with 4" screen, a flagship iPhone with 4.5" - 5", and an iPhone Mini with 4" screen and lower specs. Apple has done it with the iPod, and the Mac (a simple 2x2 grid: professional/home x desktop/mobile), then why not the iPhone?

 

Consumer advice of the day: Apple does in fact sell a 10" iPhone. They call it the iPad...

 

You're welcome matey!

 

 

PS: Don't fall for that horrid crapdroid hype. The only reason fandroids cheer for phablets is because they cannot afford to buy both a phone and a tablet. Also mind you that phablets need to be large and high specced enough in order to drive that POS of an operating system.

 

Mobile Phones NEED to fit comfortably in one's pocket or they serve no purpose at all...


Edited by architecton - 8/16/13 at 2:06am
post #42 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

 

Yes, the iPhone 5 sold 60M copies with its 4" screen. But time and perception have changed. A friend of mine got an iPhone 5, after 3GS, after a BlackBerry. He was at first wowed by the iPhone 5, screen size was not a problem. Now it is. Just a few weeks back, he said that if there wasn't a larger screen, he would go to Android next. Perceptions have changed. 60M people bought the 4" screen because they thought it was adequate for them. No doubt somebody still do. But I'm seeing more and more people thinking they need bigger screen. Call it by-product or brain-washing by the Android vendors or whatever, the truth remains: customers' perception—your reality. Perhaps some 5 to 10M of those iPhone 5 owner now want bigger phones; or may be another 5 or 10M customers chose not to buy and iPhone 5 because of the screen size.

 

The market is sating that Apple definitely need a bigger screen phone as their flagship. Apple has been late to the game, and none of the news we recently heard told that Apple was catching up. Yes, there are unique features to the iPhone, but if those rank below the bigger screen, Apple just loses a sale. What I want to see is a more diverse range of iPhone: an iPhone Classic with 4" screen, a flagship iPhone with 4.5" - 5", and an iPhone Mini with 4" screen and lower specs. Apple has done it with the iPod, and the Mac (a simple 2x2 grid: professional/home x desktop/mobile), then why not the iPhone?

I'd rather wait for a new iPhone with a larger screen than buy into Android.  I see the Android platform as a VERY destructive platform for the industry.  It's similar to the low grade POS PCs.  It just throws out too much cheap junk on the market that really have no business being there.  I still can't figure out why ANYONE would buy an i3 or Celeron processor based system.   Intel should be ashamed of themselves for putting those processors on the market and the people that make computers using those products should also be ashamed of themselves. 

 

I don't use my smartphone enough to actually NEED a bigger screen, it would just be nice because of my eyesight, but I wont touch Android.  If someone gave me one, I'd still turn it in for credit towards a new iPhone large screen model and wait another 6 to 12 months.  I don't need to keep up with the Jones' that badly.

post #43 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

 

Yes, the iPhone 5 sold 60M copies with its 4" screen. 

 

Are you sure about that number?  I think they've sold a lot more than that since the release of them. Who's your source and what was the date of that number sold?

post #44 of 79

With FaceTime Audio  (still hate the name) coming to iOS7 I might ditch the iPhone altogether and just get a new iPad Mini and Cellular and a much cheaper data contract.  The vast majority of people I call or text have iPhones, so iMessage and Facetime will connect me to them, and for others there's Skype, and either Twitter, WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger.

 

Yeah, I'll be giving up the convenience of having the device in my pocket, but if I'm stationary then my phone is normally on my desk, and I only occasionally take my phone out of my pocket while I'm transit.  Plus, I always carry a bag anyway, with my 10" iPad in it.  I think iOS7 is going to be the point where a single device can replace both phone and laptop for me, and it's the iPad Mini.

 

Need to run out my current cellular contract though, which is annoying.  6 months to go.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #45 of 79

Change to 64bit architecture is too soon, absolutely not on iOS7, because we would have heard of that already by now from Apple. And even next year, it seems too soon, its not just a matter of developers updating their apps (there will probably be a hardware compatibility mode), but hardware requirements will go up too, which means higher cost of manufacture.

 

I think most companies will delay that as long as possible, until smartphones become limited by the memory limit for the current architecture. iPhone 5 has 1GB of RAM, and the Android market that chases hardware specs as part of their marketing, is at 2GB, its going to be a few years until there is a need to jump to 64bit.

post #46 of 79

What reason would there be to go 64 bit?  The desktop reason that was normally given was to get past the 3GB RAM limit, but iPhones still look a fair distance from that (if it even applies).

 

Are there other reasons?

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #47 of 79

Maybe the new phone will be good enough that we can hear well on it.  Neither my wife, nor I , nor my brothers can hear well on theirs.  All of us have good hearing. The clamshell phones are better for eliminating the "can you hear me now phrase".  I don't understand it, a smartphone that you can hardly use as a phone.

post #48 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttong_atx View Post

Oh how I hope this guy is wrong. I don't know if I can take another year on my tiny 4S' screen. I just don't see the benefit in an extra 1/2" on the purported 5S screen. I hope Apple didn't just do a typical S upgrade this year. Didn't they listen to the masses of people over a year ago when they were disappointed with the 5? I think with the current Galaxy cannibalization going on right now, Apple will probably lose even more customers to them.

After all, why 128 gigs of storage when you have to squint to see anything?

I hate to say it but a iPod Touch and a S4 may be in the future of this fanboy.

If you see who agreed ywith your post you will quickly realize how pathetic you sound.

 

First, Apple is only getting more and more costumers, so cut the crap there. They are however losing market share, but gaining costumers.

 

Then I agree that another iPhone line with a big screen would only increase iPhone's growth.

 

do you realize what you would lose if you bought a s4? you would lose a lot of speed, apps, build quality, screen quality, battery lfe when screen is on, heck the nice design, thinness, etc.

 

Is a 5" overstaturated pentile crap worth it? At least use your brain and buy the htc one.

post #49 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

With FaceTime Audio  (still hate the name) coming to iOS7 I might ditch the iPhone altogether and just get a new iPad Mini and Cellular and a much cheaper data contract.  The vast majority of people I call or text have iPhones, so iMessage and Facetime will connect me to them, and for others there's Skype, and either Twitter, WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger.

 

Yeah, I'll be giving up the convenience of having the device in my pocket, but if I'm stationary then my phone is normally on my desk, and I only occasionally take my phone out of my pocket while I'm transit.  Plus, I always carry a bag anyway, with my 10" iPad in it.  I think iOS7 is going to be the point where a single device can replace both phone and laptop for me, and it's the iPad Mini.

 

Need to run out my current cellular contract though, which is annoying.  6 months to go.

 

Imagine the 'C' in 5C is Cloud services, and is exactly as you describe, an iPhone with data only SIM, utilising FaceTime (Video and Audio), iMessage, Skype and other such services, a phone at the low end, above the iPod Touch and below the iPhone, differentiated in this way, not in Colour or Cheap or China way. An upgraded device from the iPod Touch, but not so close in functionality to the iPhone as to take away significant numbers of sales of that device (which is their big money product).

post #50 of 79

Maybe.  But I think that's a more natural development upwards for the iPod Touch (it's about time that was renamed to just "iPod", since the nano is also touch).  The iPhone is defined by being a phone with iOS, so if you take away the literal phone antennae you're left with something that seems half-baked.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #51 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

 

Imagine the 'C' in 5C is Cloud services, and is exactly as you describe, an iPhone with data only SIM, utilising FaceTime (Video and Audio), iMessage, Skype and other such services, a phone at the low end, above the iPod Touch and below the iPhone, differentiated in this way, not in Colour or Cheap or China way. An upgraded device from the iPod Touch, but not so close in functionality to the iPhone as to take away significant numbers of sales of that device (which is their big money product).


That's a pretty interesting idea actually. The question is how the operators respond to such a device, because if they take it in they would *truly* only be a bitpipe with no chance of adding value. On Android they can at least keep adding their crapware. On Apples devices, not so much...

post #52 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonteponte View Post


That's a pretty interesting idea actually. The question is how the operators respond to such a device, because if they take it in they would *truly* only be a bitpipe with no chance of adding value. On Android they can at least keep adding their crapware. On Apples devices, not so much...

The data carriers can still have their own apps in the App Store, and offer features to their customers, they just won't be installed by default.

 

I'm sure they could even build themselves a web portal that appears on first use of the data service, that advertises the user all of their custom services, much like the portals you get with protected wi-fi at hotels and the like.  As long as it only shows on first access I wouldn't have a massive problem with that.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #53 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

I agree. Both my wife and friend did the upgrade from iPhone 4 to iPhone 5 last year.  Both have told me they like the smaller size of the 4 screen vs the 5 screen. strange, huh?

It's not just the screen- both the 4 and 4S are just classier looking phones- period. SJ & Co. had it right with its original non-16:9 footprint. Tim Cook was still sporting one last year long after the 5 was released.

Having said that I expect the 5S to set all kinds of records as the many who kept onto their 4S (like myself) will be finally upgrading, cheaper looking exterior build or not. Both the true LTE connectivity and all the interior components will make it worth it. I really hope they tweak the metal casing because I have seen so many nasty looking nicked and scratched-up 5s here at work. 

 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #54 of 79

A shift to 64bit would have some advantages but I'm sorry but the whole rumor is just based on the hopes of an analyst? Without any concrete evidence whatsoever? What it comes down to is this: I hope they implement it in the A7 and if not in the A7 I hope they implement it in the A8 (basically he says eventually at some point Apple will implement 64bit). Anyone can make 'predictions' like that. I wouldn't put too much credit to this 'report'.

 

Btw if a shift would occur from 32bit to 64bit wouldn't there be some kind of evidence of this in the beta versions of iOS 7?


Edited by Chipsy - 8/16/13 at 7:27am
post #55 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTBuzz View Post

Maybe the new phone will be good enough that we can hear well on it.  Neither my wife, nor I , nor my brothers can hear well on theirs.  All of us have good hearing. The clamshell phones are better for eliminating the "can you hear me now phrase".  I don't understand it, a smartphone that you can hardly use as a phone.

 

I hear this from time to time from people, as well as the iPhone having bad signal etc... However, I usually have no trouble hearing people on the iPhone and if I am speaking properly, they have no trouble hearing me. Of course, I have some of the best hearing of my friends, probably the second best of anyone I know. But I suck at differentiating people's voices from other noises. The louder it is, the worse I am at understanding someone because I can not separate their words from the other noise very well. Still never really have a problem. Signal wise, it does the best of any phone I've ever owned.

Maybe more a personal problem? I am sure they can improve though.

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by murman View Post

Change to 64bit architecture is too soon, absolutely not on iOS7, because we would have heard of that already by now from Apple. And even next year, it seems too soon, its not just a matter of developers updating their apps (there will probably be a hardware compatibility mode), but hardware requirements will go up too, which means higher cost of manufacture.

 

I think most companies will delay that as long as possible, until smartphones become limited by the memory limit for the current architecture. iPhone 5 has 1GB of RAM, and the Android market that chases hardware specs as part of their marketing, is at 2GB, its going to be a few years until there is a need to jump to 64bit.

 

I agree.

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

If you see who agreed ywith your post you will quickly realize how pathetic you sound.

 

First, Apple is only getting more and more costumers, so cut the crap there. They are however losing market share, but gaining costumers.

 

Then I agree that another iPhone line with a big screen would only increase iPhone's growth.

 

do you realize what you would lose if you bought a s4? you would lose a lot of speed, apps, build quality, screen quality, battery lfe when screen is on, heck the nice design, thinness, etc.

 

Is a 5" overstaturated pentile crap worth it? At least use your brain and buy the htc one.

 

I agree on the need for the larger iphone screen and Apple getting more customers. I see a larger iPhone launching in 2014 with the IGZO screen and higher specs than the 5S. With some increased efficiency processors, I think a 4.5ish iPhone would be a safe launch.

 

On the S4, I have to agree and disagree. It is a really nice phone aside from the cheap plastic sh**. The S4 surely has more processing power but you are right, I used one at best buy for about 20 minutes. Was seriously unimpressed. It was laggy going to cnn.com   Apps....I don't know about but I hear that often. The battery life seems to be pretty decent but you are probably right that it isn't any good compared to the iPhone 5 (especially the high hopes of the iPhone 5S, if IGZO etc..)

 

I must admit, the OLED screen looks pretty nice, probably still oversaturated and such.... but a nice screen either way.

post #56 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksec View Post


Anyone who have any knowledge of the industry and apply some technical knowledge to this rumors and speculation will know none of them are true. Most of these Analyst have ZERO technical background. You are only getting a faster clock, slightly tweaked Swift Core with much better Graphics and Double the Ram. ARMv8 isn't coming for another year or so at the earliest.

That's very interesting. If the 5S gets 2GB of RAM, that would be a plus.

post #57 of 79

I'm hoping (just for reasons of clarity), that this means the new iPhone will actually be called "iPhone 7" instead of "iPhone 5s".  

 

- It makes no sense to keep the "s" model numbering for more than this year anyway if they are going to be introducing the "c" variants each year as well.

- It's the seventh iPhone

- It runs iOS 7

- it will have an A7 chip

post #58 of 79

Oh please god not this argument again.  No way will it be the iPhone 7.  No chance.  Outside chance it'll be the 6, but the sensible money is on 5S.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #59 of 79
64-bit would be nice. It is a nice width for dynamic languages like Objective-C that use pointer tagging for efficiency. Normally the execution units are also utilized for better SIMD support. I'd hate to see a delayed move to 64-bit support hold Objective-C back from future innovation.
post #60 of 79
This is a good question. 32 bit processors can address 4GB of RAM but you also have memory mapped I/O and stuff to deal with so the address space gets split. I don't know the exact split of iOS but RAM space cold become an issue faster than you might imagine. If this years release doubles RAM then the hardware would need a 64 bit transition in 2014 or 2015.

As to performance advantages it s hard for me to answer that as I don't know a lot about the new ARM architecture. The real advantage would be in 64 bit math support which honestly isn't a big issue with iOS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

What reason would there be to go 64 bit?  The desktop reason that was normally given was to get past the 3GB RAM limit, but iPhones still look a fair distance from that (if it even applies).

Are there other reasons?
post #61 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttong_atx View Post

I hope Apple didn't just do a typical S upgrade this year. Didn't they listen to the masses of people over a year ago when they were disappointed with the 5?

Maybe they were distracted being busy selling dozens of Millions of iPhone 5 to those who were not?

post #62 of 79
No way apple will make it 64bit only 😆. If anything 32&64 . I hope A7 arrives and 128gb!
post #63 of 79
Originally Posted by ttong_atx View Post
I don't know if I can take another year on my tiny 4S' screen.

 

So buy an iPhone 5 right now and shut up about it?


I just don't see the benefit in an extra 1/2" on the purported 5S screen.

 

"Waah, I want a larger screen. Waah, I don't see how this larger screen is larger."


Didn't they listen to the masses of people over a year ago when they were disappointed with the 5?

 

What, you mean the ten idiots paid by Samsung who whine and complain that "masses" exist? No, they didn't listen to them, thanks. Nor should they.


I think with the current Galaxy cannibalization going on right now

 

You mean the cannibalization that isn't happening? Got it.


After all, why 128 gigs of storage when you have to squint to see anything?

 

Maybe wear the glasses your doctor gave you, then?


I hate to say it but a iPod Touch and a S4 may be in the future of this fanboy.

 

Sounds stupid. Enjoy.

 

Originally Posted by ttong_atx View Post
A person would only logically think this based on the number of Galaxy activations.

 

And what number would that be, exactly, given that Samsung 1. doesn't release those numbers and 2. has been proven to lie about the numbers they do release?


5 out of the 10 or 12 friends I have with iPhones went to the Note and the S4 when the 5 came out.

 

And zero of my friends did the same. In fact, more came from Android. Anecdotes are all equally admissible.


But I was holding on thinking Apple would get it right this year.

 

By virtue of the fact that you're "holding on", doesn't that tell you that MAYBE they already have it right?

 

Originally Posted by rgroves View Post
If the iphone 5s or 6 don't have atleast a 5 inch screen I'm getting a note next September

 

So shut up and buy a Note right now. Start hating a device you need to use right now.

 

Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

Perceptions have changed.  he truth remains: customers' perception—your reality. 

 

Changed? Says who? And when has that ever stopped Apple from releasing a product people actually want rather than what they thought they wanted? 


The market is sating that Apple definitely need a bigger screen phone as their flagship.

 

"The market" has been wrong since the launch of the first-gen. "The market" stated it needed a physical keyboard and a SMALLER SCREEN then.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #64 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I'm hoping (just for reasons of clarity), that this means the new iPhone will actually be called "iPhone 7" instead of "iPhone 5s".  

 

- It makes no sense to keep the "s" model numbering for more than this year anyway if they are going to be introducing the "c" variants each year as well.

- It's the seventh iPhone

- It runs iOS 7

- it will have an A7 chip

I'm with Crowley... please don't start this Gazobee.  Begging you! :)

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #65 of 79
Imagine a quad-core 64 bit CPU and quad-core PowerVR 6 series GPU combo SoC...now that would be a rocking super chip! Also put it inside an Apple TV-3 and you've got yourself an XBox and Playstation killer! And it might just happen...but probably won't.
post #66 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Oh please god not this argument again.  No way will it be the iPhone 7.  No chance.  Outside chance it'll be the 6, but the sensible money is on 5S.

Oh it's on like Donkey Kong! The single most important decision of the new iPhone is the name. If they screw it up AGAIN Apple will be, of course, doomed. I'll be warming up my caps lock and exclamation keys.

/facetious
post #67 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

It's not just the screen- both the 4 and 4S are just classier looking phones- period. SJ & Co. had it right with its original non-16:9 footprint. Tim Cook was still sporting one last year long after the 5 was released.

Having said that I expect the 5S to set all kinds of records as the many who kept onto their 4S (like myself) will be finally upgrading, cheaper looking exterior build or not. Both the true LTE connectivity and all the interior components will make it worth it. I really hope they tweak the metal casing because I have seen so many nasty looking nicked and scratched-up 5s here at work. 

I think they might this time around. As I've mentioned in previous posts here - the rumoured gold iPhone 5S might actually be a replacement for the silver one. The gold colour coming from a titanium nitride coating to protect the aluminium body from scratches and dings. The black/slate version having the same or better protection from scratches and dings due to a PVD/CLD coating.

post #68 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttong_atx View Post

Didn't they listen to the masses of people over a year ago when they were disappointed with the 5?
I think with the current Galaxy cannibalization going on right now, Apple will probably lose even more customers to them.
 

I hate to say it but a iPod Touch and a S4 may be in the future of this fanboy.

 

By your logic, we can all conclude that masses of people are disappointed with their Mercedes E350 based on the number of Ford and GM pick up trucks sold and that masses of people are disappointed with their Lear jets based on the number of Boeing 747s sold?

 

I don't think "cannibalization" means what you think it means.

 

I don't think "fanboy" means what you think it means.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttong_atx View Post


A person would only logically think this based on the number of Galaxy activations.

5 out of the 10 or 12 friends I have with iPhones went to the Note and the S4 when the 5 came out. They weren't impressed and neither was I. But I was holding on thinking Apple would get it right this year.

I haven't heard one person say "wow" when referring to the screen size on the 5. My wife didn't even want one until her 4 was busted.

Just saying...


I don't think "logically" means what you think it means.

 

Maybe you say this instead?

"There are a lot of people who prefer a screen larger than 4", I hope that Apple comes out with one soon, since I'm one of those people and I'm also a fanboy."

post #69 of 79

I agree with your statement 100%.  Okay, so there will not be a larger screen with the 5S (I didn't like it, but i'll be patient).  If the iPhone6 does not have at least 4.7 inch screen, I'm probably getting a Note 3 or something similiar, no matter how colorful iOS7 is.

 

Just imagine the iOS on a larger screen...that would be a win/win...whats taking them so long to figure that out.

post #70 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by courthebrew View Post

Just imagine the iOS on a larger screen...that would be a win/win...whats taking them so long to figure that out.

 

http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #71 of 79
Originally Posted by courthebrew View Post

Just imagine the iOS on a larger screen...that would be a win/win...whats taking them so long to figure that out.

 

Because it isn't a win-win. My stars.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #72 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Are you sure about that number?  I think they've sold a lot more than that since the release of them. Who's your source and what was the date of that number sold?

 

I was just speaking figuratively. It does matter if the real number is 60M, 70M or 50M. The point is, they could have sold more with a bigger screen. Some people on here will cry Apple doesn't need a bigger screen, if you want it there's an iPad Mini. Those are the very same people who fervently argued that people didn't need an iPad Mini. But when Apple released one, they hailed it as the best invention ever. Why are we so afraid to criticize Apple's stubbornness, and so quick to embrace whatever to tell us the next great thing is?

post #73 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

 

I was just speaking figuratively. It does matter if the real number is 60M, 70M or 50M. The point is, they could have sold more with a bigger screen. Some people on here will cry Apple doesn't need a bigger screen, if you want it there's an iPad Mini. Those are the very same people who fervently argued that people didn't need an iPad Mini. But when Apple released one, they hailed it as the best invention ever. Why are we so afraid to criticize Apple's stubbornness, and so quick to embrace whatever to tell us the next great thing is?

I agree they should have released a bigger screen.  I don't know if they would sell more big screen phones to a 4 inch model.  I think they would definitely have sold more units total if they released two screen sizes.  That's what I think they should be doing.  At least give people a couple of choices for their top of line models, and then have a polycarb version w/less storage for the people that want a more budget minded, no frills model.

 

I think if they release a polycarb version of the iPhone 5, a iPhone 5S with upgraded guts, and an iPhone 6 with a bigger screen, they'll the heck out of these systems.  There are still a lot of people that don't mind the smaller 4inch screen, but there is a growing number of people that do want the larger screen.

post #74 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So buy an iPhone 5 right now and shut up about it?

"Waah, I want a larger screen. Waah, I don't see how this larger screen is larger."

What, you mean the ten idiots paid by Samsung who whine and complain that "masses" exist? No, they didn't listen to them, thanks. Nor should they.

You mean the cannibalization that isn't happening? Got it.

Maybe wear the glasses your doctor gave you, then?

Sounds stupid. Enjoy.


And what number would that be, exactly, given that Samsung 1. doesn't release those numbers and 2. has been proven to lie about the numbers they do release?

And zero of my friends did the same. In fact, more came from Android. Anecdotes are all equally admissible.

By virtue of the fact that you're "holding on", doesn't that tell you that MAYBE they already have it right?


So shut up and buy a Note right now. Start hating a device you need to use right now.


Changed? Says who? And when has that ever stopped Apple from releasing a product people actually want rather than what they thought they wanted? 

"The market" has been wrong since the launch of the first-gen. "The market" stated it needed a physical keyboard and a SMALLER SCREEN then.

You crack me up man. I knew if I posted anything against what Apple currently offers or is rumored to offer, you would have something negative to say about it. Just like when you replied to my post about a possible iPad mini coming out. If I recall correctly...you said that was stupid and Apple would never do it. But the funniest part is that you just insult people with smart aleck responses. Open up your mind and understand that people are allowed to have their own opinions.

The only reason I would want a larger phone is for web surfing and social media when I am out and about. I will still have and use my iPad & MacBook Pro for everything else. The point I was making is that some people want a bigger screen but don't want to carry around a iPad mini. As you said; that is stupid, it won't fit in your pocket.

As for your "Market" comment; are you saying that phones haven't evolved over time? You are correct pointing out that most smart phones did have a physical keyboard when the iPhone was launched. Apple changed the market and what people wanted - that was an evolution. I think Samsung has done the same thing this time. This may very well be the next evolution of the smartphone. Yea, they are cheap phones and Samsung has been caught lying about their numbers but it seems to me that they have taken some of Apple's customers. I just think we need to have an option of a larger phone (not a 6" or 7" phablet) and a smaller 3.5 to 4" device.
Edited by ttong_atx - 8/16/13 at 8:44pm
post #75 of 79
It could be 8 core and 2gb ram plus this also.
post #76 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

It could be 8 core and 2gb ram plus this also.
Oh sorry meant to point out that these processors are getting close enough to intel to phase bottom end macs to it while keeping upper end for a while on it. They could make MacBook Air and Mac mini run it. Wait a year and like hard flash drives add a fusion processor, running it on iMac with it switching between 2 for best moment.
post #77 of 79
Originally Posted by ttong_atx View Post
I knew if I posted anything against what Apple currently offers or is rumored to offer

 

They're not rumored to offer a bigger screen, so I'm not sure where you're getting that in the first place.


The only reason I would want a larger phone is for web surfing and social media when I am out and about.

 

iPad?


some people want a bigger screen but don't want to carry around a iPad mini. As you said; that is stupid, it won't fit in your pocket.

 

I'm not sure where your complaint lies.


As for your "Market" comment; are you saying that phones haven't evolved over time?

 

I'm saying the demands of idiots and the uninformed evolve but remain idiotic.


This may very well be the next evolution of the smartphone. Yea, they are cheap phones and Samsung has been caught lying about their numbers but it seems to me that they have taken some of Apple's customers.

 

Hard to imagine that when we can't know the numbers…

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #78 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttong_atx View Post

Oh how I hope this guy is wrong. I don't know if I can take another year on my tiny 4S' screen. I just don't see the benefit in an extra 1/2" on the purported 5S screen. I hope Apple didn't just do a typical S upgrade this year. Didn't they listen to the masses of people over a year ago when they were disappointed with the 5? I think with the current Galaxy cannibalization going on right now, Apple will probably lose even more customers to them.

After all, why 128 gigs of storage when you have to squint to see anything?

I hate to say it but a iPod Touch and a S4 may be in the future of this fanboy.

 

Are you being serious, or is this some sort of very odd, avant garde satire?

 

Apple sold more iPhones in the last reported quarter than they have EVER sold in a single quarter.  31M.  In 2012, they sold 125M iPhones.  What sales are they losing, exactly?

post #79 of 79
A7 on the upcoming iPad Mini Retina! No more backward technology for the Mini going forward!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's A7 SoC expected to be 20% more efficient, debut in 'iPhone 5S'