or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Supposed gold color variant of next iPhone shown off in pictures

Supposed gold color variant of next iPhone shown off in pictures - Page 2

post #41 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

This is fake.  I'll steak my reputation on it (which i dont have anyway)

I'll have that steak with fries please?
post #42 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Should be popular in Jersey

Watch it. You meant North Jersey, I imagine.

Still, not the worst gold color.
post #43 of 103
Quote:
Please stop using this nonsensical, meaningless, made-up trashy term.  

WTF? http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/colorway

Quote:
The whole idea of using cool new phrases is that they never existed before [...]

From the aforementioned link:

First Known Use of COLORWAY

The fact you hadn't heard this expression until today (or whenever) does not mean it hasn't been in use for decades--because it has, and almost exactly in the context in which it is used here: colorway refers to more than one color, but as multiple materials are used in iPhones (look at the back of a 5), the combination of appearances can indeed be called a gold colorway.

Bottom line: I hate it when people call other people ignorant yet don't know what they're talking about.

Quote:
It might be cool if it meant something but it's just the way ignorant people say "colour."

And to think I had to join just to post this reply. But some things you shouldn't let slide.

post #44 of 103
its a nice shade of matte gold and not the tacky shiny gold. Of course, it's an option so stop complaining.
post #45 of 103

Gold is HUGE in India, so perhaps this is geared towards markets outside the U.S.. That's if in the first place you believe gold is an option. But if plastic is back in vogue in the low end, maybe gold is the new high end.  

post #46 of 103
Vulgar
post #47 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It might be cool if it meant something but it's just the way ignorant people say "colour."  

The whole idea of using cool new phrases is that they never existed before and mean things that you can't say any other way.  This is not that. 

You did a tri-tap on the word before posting this didn't you? Nope! 

post #48 of 103

Indians like real gold (solid gold, or gold-plated). Anything golden colored, is considered really cheap in India. So can't be for the Indian market.

>>"Gold is HUGE in India, so perhaps this is geared towards markets outside the U.S....."

post #49 of 103
I personally think this is a knockoff/fake. You can buy these things in all colors at the Chinese mall in Toronto.
post #50 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansin View Post

Indians like real gold (solid gold, or gold-plated). Anything golden colored, is considered really cheap in India. So can't be for the Indian market.

>>"Gold is HUGE in India, so perhaps this is geared towards markets outside the U.S....."

Did not know that, thanks! 

post #51 of 103
Bling!
post #52 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

I'll have that steak with fries please?

I managed to resist saying that … but I'm glad somebody did .. 1biggrin.gif
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #53 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachLach View Post

Gold iPhone? I still can't understand why they would pick that color. High end phone does not equal Gold phone
It's already THE high end phone. When you see pics of the super rich and celebs, they nearly always have iPhones. Gold just catches up with how it's already received.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #54 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Looks fake.

Just like these black market chassis made by a third party company.

Agree!...More here:

post #55 of 103
Now you all know if Samsung had a gold phone most of you would be saying Apple isnt innovating enough.
post #56 of 103
I keep wondering what the accent color to go with the gold will be. Black, white, something else? I'm talking about the panels at the top and bottom of the back, and the under painted glass on the front.
post #57 of 103
Quote:

Gold actually stands for "tacky" and "low class" nowadays.  No one with any real money and class wears a lot of gold anymore.  At least not in western culture. 
The poor folks that want to appear rich, the nouveau rich and conspicuous consumers wear gold.  

It's tasteless. 

Nonsense. There are plenty of luxury products still made in gold.

Just a few examples:
http://www.gemnation.com/watches/Vacheron-Constantin-Les-Cabinotiers-Repetition-Skeleton-Minutes-30030.000R-8200-3425.html
http://gizmodo.com/5538867/and-then-there-was-a-solid-gold-ipad
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20086447-48/gold-trimmed-armor-plated-rolls-royce-phantom-only-$8.1m/#!
http://jewelry.about.com/od/oscarsjewelry/ig/2012-Academy-Awards-Jewelry/Meryl-Streep-Jewelry.htm
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #58 of 103
There is nothing intrinsically vulgar about gold. It's all about context. Gold grill on a rapper's teeth, gold Maserati in Bieber's hands, gold plated everything in the mansion of a nouveau riche "Hoesewife" or Trump? Vulgar. A tasteful Patek-Phillipe watch on the wrist of your bride of 50 years? Beautiful.
post #59 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansin View Post

Well who says it's going to be fake gold?  Apple is known for using unusual metals (titanium & unibody aluminum come to mind) so this could well be gold-plated.  With a solid-gold option.  Yes, I know it's a soft metal, but it could be a harder alloy, maybe 14K.

As to those complaining about the colors being gaudy, I suppose you prefer your computers as beige boxes, too. 

I'll take "flower power" any day!   ;-)

post #60 of 103

I'm guessing it's fake but I would totally buy one if it's not..  Lot's of hating now but if Apple releases a gold iPhone I suspect that soon enough Gold will soon be an extremely popular color for all sorts of things from auto, to gadgets, etc.  What I love about it is how it makes people a little uncomfortable, the best fashion always does.  When skinny jeans first became trendy they were made fun of by the majority, and only worn by the trendiest... now they are the norm.  (for now) 

People associate Gold with being trashy or out of fashion, but I could easily see Apple changing that perception.  

post #61 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Quote:

Doesn't actually.  Mostly silver and diamonds, mostly understated or only on state occasions. 
Really? What's the bulk of her crown made up of then- copper? And her scepter? lol!

To be fair, that picture was taken when gold was in style. She has white hair now in case you missed that.
post #62 of 103
If it is gold it will be "champagne," not bright gold. If that is champagne in color, it will be my next phone. I am tiring of black, and white never grabbed me.
post #63 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

Makes perfect sense:

White iPhone for female customers;
Black iPhone for white customers;
Gold iPhone for black customers.

/s 1oyvey.gif

We are what we post. Even in jest, you have just painted your character for all to see.

post #64 of 103
Tacky. I doubt Apple would release something this ugly.
post #65 of 103
"I love...goooolddd!" -- GOLDMEMBER

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #66 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

"Is Apple and Jony Ive losing it's cool? This is gaudy and unattractive. May appeal to Kim Kardashian but not the general public. Also the supposed low cost phone colors are also hideous. The yellow looks like a canary yellow"

Apart from your terrible grammer: This is a rumor, Apple doesn't sell a Gold phone so how can Apple and John Ivy lose its cool on a non existant product?

Given the quality of your punctuation (or lack of it), and spelling (let's see how many you can spot), I am not sure you're particularly qualified to comment on the elegance of people's language usage.
post #67 of 103
couldn't that simply a new case design before being colored?
post #68 of 103
Should be popular in China
post #69 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Now you all know if Samsung had a gold phone most of you would be saying Apple isnt innovating enough.

You wouldn't sleep right if you didn't get to mention Samsung at least once a day. This specific shade of gold is gaudy, but that's fine because it's fake/knock-off/after-market.

Chill.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #70 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsharrington View Post

I'm guessing it's fake but I would totally buy one if it's not.

How quaint.
post #71 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by currentinterest View Post

If it is gold it will be "champagne," not bright gold. If that is champagne in color, it will be my next phone. I am tiring of black, and white never grabbed me.

Champagne is a beautiful colour. That is not champagne. And it's fake.
post #72 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachLach View Post

Gold iPhone? I still can't understand why they would pick that color. High end phone does not equal Gold phone

Exactly... Hi end = Platinum iphone! That would look like... oh wait... never mind. Just kidding! IMO- the iP 4 and 4s form factor is the most 'high end style' phones out there. Yes its heavy but I like the glass back etc... it has a 'feeling' of solidness(if thats a word) and high value. Held an iP5... thought I was picking up a soda can... thought I could crush it if I squeezed to hard! Ahh, Im sure Ill get use to the 5s(or what ever its called) when it comes out, as my contract is about up.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #73 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Champagne is a beautiful colour. That is not champagne. And it's fake.

Champagne ~ = Beige?? Read somewhere Steve Jobs hated beige. Times are a changing.... maybe
post #74 of 103
This looks third party, like the stuff you can buy at CES.
post #75 of 103
Looks like an anodized aluminum architectural bronze to me. I've spec'd more than a few projects that match it.
post #76 of 103

If Apple actually releases something this cheesy I'd start worrying about the new management.

post #77 of 103
Tacky. Like "Sheiks and gold chains and large gold Rolexes" tacky%u2026

Well, it IS an upscale market I guess%u2026 someone somewhere wants GOLD. I'm betting it's for the 'new sheiks', you know, the Chinese market perhaps? They're big on gold-colored stuff over there. Perhaps it's one of the requirements for getting China Mobile onboard. We say jump to a tacky tune and you win the brass ring!

Would Apple stoop so low? Let's hope NOT.
post #78 of 103
C
Quote:

It might be cool if it meant something but it's just the way ignorant people say "colour."  
The whole idea of using cool new phrases is that they never existed before and mean things that you can't say any other way.  This is not that. 
couldn't agree more. What a tosser thing to say.
post #79 of 103
I hope they never release anything so lacking in taste.
post #80 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotia73 View Post

I hope they never release anything so lacking in taste.

Have you not seen iOS7's safari icon?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Supposed gold color variant of next iPhone shown off in pictures