or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iCloud › Exclusive: First data center buildings up at Apple's Reno iCloud facility

Exclusive: First data center buildings up at Apple's Reno iCloud facility - Page 2

post #41 of 70

Great! Now maybe iCloud will only go down once every 2 weeks instead of every week. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #42 of 70
This might be ready by the time of IOS 7 release then, maybe.
post #43 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

… You would have to excavate down to 20-30m before accessing cooler soil temperatures ...

I don't see how this can be right.  30m is how far you dig to get free geothermal heating, not cooling.  It should be significantly cooler just a few feet below the surface and then start getting hotter about 15-20m down increasing the further you dig, no? I'm guessing the relative temperature on the surface is pretty hot in Reno, but the underground temperature should be the same almost everywhere. 

post #44 of 70

Forget cooling and heating and how much power it uses.    This place looks like where they would make an old western.    How far is this from civilization?   Where do the employees go to eat?    And I thought working in New Jersey was bad. 

post #45 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I don't see how this can be right.  30m is how far you dig to get free geothermal heating, not cooling.  It should be significantly cooler just a few feet below the surface and then start getting hotter about 15-20m down increasing the further you dig, no? I'm guessing the relative temperature on the surface is pretty hot in Reno, but the underground temperature should be the same almost everywhere. 

Geothermal heating vents are pretty rare. Otherwise you generally have to go really far down to get any heat. Water wells can go hundreds of feet down and are nice and cool.
post #46 of 70
Quote:

Quote:

… You would have to excavate down to 20-30m before accessing cooler soil temperatures ...

Depends where you are. In most cases including where geothermal activity exists the regular water table temperature, even down to 120m is still 12º C.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #47 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Forget cooling and heating and how much power it uses.    This place looks like where they would make an old western.    How far is this from civilization?   Where do the employees go to eat?    And I thought working in New Jersey was bad. 

Apparently, Reno Technology Park is only 15 minutes from Reno.

post #48 of 70
Quote:

Depends on if you consider Reno civilization. (Apologies to my cousin)

Employees have to eat rattlers and cacti. On the plus side, its not New Jersey 1biggrin.gif
post #49 of 70
Quote:

Heating/cooling/employees eating.  Irrelevant.  No state taxes in Nevada!

post #50 of 70
Apple has been incorporated in NV for years. I don't think this data center has anything to do with income taxes as they don't actually collect any revenue through the the data center per se. Not sure. I think it has more to do with property tax incentives.

Edited by mstone - 8/17/13 at 8:33pm

post #51 of 70
I think its a little of both.  Their other prime candidate for the data center also had no state tax.  Maybe Apple can claim all their iCloud revenues are made in the state now.

The fact that Apple got Nevada tax payers to pay for nearly $100,000,000 of the price tag didn't hurt though.
post #52 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Is it just me or does this land parcel look like it's in a low spot terrain wise? Like may be prone to flooding during some freakish weather event?

Water cooling
post #53 of 70

I really dont like these story telling me how much land Apple owns for its DC. I want to know how much Server Floor Space they have. How many server they could host. etc

I think once completed, they could start offering free iCloud Backup to every iPhone.

post #54 of 70
Originally Posted by ksec View Post

I think once completed, they could start offering free iCloud Backup to every iPhone.

They… already do. 1confused.gif

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #55 of 70
I drove by the site in early August, and Apple's site on the north side of I-80 is well above the river on the south side of the Interstate.

- Dave Marsh
iMac Intel 27" 3.4GHz, iPad Air 64GB, iPhone 5 32GB

- Dave Marsh
iMac Intel 27" 3.4GHz, iPad Air 64GB, iPhone 5 32GB

post #56 of 70
Quote:

And sales taxes, which Oregon doesn't have and which Nevada exempted for this data center. Compared to a +9% tax in CA, that adds a lot to construction expenses.

But it's isn't, as trolls complain and as the local news reported, "paid for by locals." Taxes are paid by tax-payers. If a business is given a tax break to start a project it wouldn't otherwise start there, it means locals get economic activity that costs less than it otherwise would.

Data centers involve a lot of initial construction but then run without creating a lot of jobs. But they also don't create traffic, send kids to school, send low paid workers to collect welfare/disability/Medicare (like Walmart), pollute, or generate garbage or other significant social costs.

Snagging Apple means there will now be a $1 billion dollar facility at RTP that otherwise would be dirt. There are already other companies lining up to be situated next door to take advantage of the shared investment in roads, drainage, etc that Apple is building.
post #57 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

This might be ready by the time of IOS 7 release then, maybe.

Indeed, this might just be for 'Photostream, now with video'.

I also don't understand how DED can write what data is being stored/served here. I think the number of assumptions being made in IT is way too large and happens way too often.
post #58 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

As in Free iCloud Backup for the size of your iPhone, i.e 16Gb iCloud for your 16GB iPhone

post #59 of 70
Quote:

Maybe you're thinking of a heat pump? Anytime there's a significant difference in temperature between two "sources" you can use this difference to help with heating or cooling.

Quote:

Forget cooling and heating and how much power it uses. 

I say forget these questions and ask why is Apple expanding so quickly? Sure they have had outages, but they're not nearly as common as people think and when everything is running Apples current users are being served well (I never have to wait to watch a movie on my Apple TV and whenever I purchase music or Apps they download quickly).

With the Reno and Washington data centers coming online it appears Apple is greatly expanding their capacity. I doubt they expect their user base to double in the next year so it must be for additional services. I'm wondering if it's for TV since that's one area that would require a substantial increase in server capacity.

Quote:

Quote:

As in Free iCloud Backup for the size of your iPhone, i.e 16Gb iCloud for your 16GB iPhone

Say what? Any Apps you've bought aren't included. Neither is any music you purchase through iTunes or added with iTunes Match. Do you have a 16GB iPhone with only one or two Apps installed and they are generating 10+GB of data you need backed up?

Most people get by with the free 5GB Apple gives you. For those who actually need more you can buy it.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #60 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Indeed, this might just be for 'Photostream, now with video'.

I also don't understand how DED can write what data is being stored/served here. I think the number of assumptions being made in IT is way too large and happens way too often.

Apple has made public comment on what it's using the Reno iCloud site for. It's not an assumption.

Assuming Apple is lying or that the article is making up crazy stuff is probably not very useful.
post #61 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Apple has made public comment on what it's using the Reno iCloud site for. It's not an assumption.

Assuming Apple is lying or that the article is making up crazy stuff is probably not very useful.

I don't recall that. Do you mind linking?
post #62 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Will you just your pie hole for once. It's getting old.

Nothing he predicts has ever come to pass.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #63 of 70
I found a posting of mine from a previous thread regarding Apple's data centers. Some very interesting information as well as some links to older articles from Apple Insider.

Apple surely has some massive plans:

Apple buys data center originally built for MCI reported in 2006.

Apple says NC data center will support iTunes and MobileMe this spring and As Carolina data center debut looms, Apple expanding in Silicon Valley too as reported in 2011.

Apple will invest $250M in new Oregon data center reported in 2012.

Apple to invest $1B in Nevada data center, business facilities reported in 2012.

Notably, there is a Rumor: Apple's iCloud to be powered by Microsoft, Amazon servers

"... Apple is said to have outsourced the "plumbing" of iCloud because its "core competence lies in 'building great consumer experiences,' so it didn't make sense for Apple to become a cloud provider," according to Clarke.

Another cited reason for maintaining two providers is that Apple hopes they will be forced to keep up with each other on "reliability, new features, security, and price." The iPhone maker is looking to avoid becoming "hostage" to one supplier..."

"... Sources suggested that iCloud is running on "the full Azure service – the Windows Azure compute and controller part and SQL Azure storage which hosts tables, queues and flat files." User data will reportedly be stored in multiple locations across the three companies' servers. As is to be expected, a multiple-provider hosting solution would come with its own set of challenges, as Apple may have to work across platforms, utilizing custom software to manage requests and keep track of data..."

Futhermore, Apple career postings indicate:

"... position is focused primarily on SUN/Oracle server support with a second focus on IBM/AIX servers. You should also understand SAN, RAID and file system technology (IBM, SUN, Xserve RAID's, etc.)..."
post #64 of 70
I found another posting of mine from a previous thread listing Apple's data centers. Since the posting, Facebook has unveiled that the forthcoming data center in Altoona, Iowa belongs to Facebook.

I have been wondering what the sudden explosion of interest in data centers is regarding at Apple. This isn't just the data center in Maiden, North Carolina. As we know, Apple is constructing data centers in Hong Kong; Prineville, Oregon; and Reno, Nevada.

Hong Kong ("unprecedented scale") groundbreaking rumored in 1Q2013
Newark, CA (108,000 square feet) acquired in 2006
Maiden, NC (500,000 square feet with 184,000 square feet of actual data center floor space)
Prineville, OR (projected for 338,000 square feet)
Reno, NV
Santa Clara, CA (estimated to be to about 11,000 square feet of data center floor space) seven year lease signed in April 2011

Additionally, a mysterious company has been courting officials in Altoona, Iowa. Notably, one of the proposed zoning amendments would allow the operator of the data center to use on-site generation from solar panels, fuel cells and wind energy; a configuration thus far only used by Apple and eBay. Interestingly, this would easily be the second largest data center in the world.

Altoona, IA ??? (350,000 square-foot building and two buildings at 380,000 square feet total of 1.4 million square feet)
post #65 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Most people get by with the free 5GB Apple gives you. For those who actually need more you can buy it.

In my opinion, a unique service offering would be if Apple would provide iCloud backup of AirPort Time Capsule included in the price of the AirPort Time Capsule. Assuming most of the data is applications (from the mac App Store), music, movies and television (from iTunes) the actual cost should be low. An easy backup service for iOS on AirPort Time Capsule with redundant iCloud storage would be nice as well. An excellent add-on service could be iTunes Movie Match and iTunes Television Match for media which isn't from iTunes. I could be mistaken but this seems like a multi-billion dollar opportunity to make the AirPort Time Capsule a mainstream device.

Edited for clarity
Edited by MacBook Pro - 8/18/13 at 2:36pm
post #66 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

What's not useful? Skepticism when reading a rumor site?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #67 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I found a posting of mine from a previous thread regarding Apple's data centers.

Futhermore, Apple career postings indicate:

"... position is focused primarily on SUN/Oracle server support with a second focus on IBM/AIX servers.

Oracle very recently forged an alliance with Microsoft on cloud infrastructure so that still makes sense.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #68 of 70

I drive past this construction everyday to get to work in Reno. The building site is on the north side of HWY 80. The Truckee River is on the south side of 80.  The buildings sit at the floor of  "mountains"/ hills""  that may have run off..but I am sure that is being taken into consideration. I have lived here for 13 years and have never seen any standing water on that side of the highway. This used to be  a prime "target shooting" area  which has now been closed off. Cattle were "free range" here and large stock tanks needed to be out there for water.

If you "google" Tracy Clark Station... you can see the power plant and water collective area off the Truckee..it is almost "across the street" ( south side of 80) from the  Apple site. So is the Waltham-Pedigree dog food factory. The area is also known as  Patrick, NV.

Bev

post #69 of 70

UH OH! :)

post #70 of 70
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That would be incredibly stupid. And Greenpeace would be all over it. Why on earth would you back up data that can be re-downloaded because Apple already has backups? I'm completely missing your point...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iCloud
  • Exclusive: First data center buildings up at Apple's Reno iCloud facility
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iCloud › Exclusive: First data center buildings up at Apple's Reno iCloud facility