or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's new gold option for 'iPhone 5S' described as an 'elegant' shade of champagne

Apple's new gold option for 'iPhone 5S' described as an 'elegant' shade of champagne

post #1 of 113
The shade of gold expected to be used in a new color option for Apple's next iPhone has been described as having an "elegant" look, not a bright and flashy yellow.

iMore
Gold "iPhone 5S" mockup by Rene Ritchie of iMore.

The new "iPhone 5S" will be available with a gold back plate, chamfered edging, and a white face, according to sources who spoke with AllThingsD. One person reportedly described the color as "champagne, not ingot."

The report appears to confirm claims made by well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities last week. The new gold casing will be offered alongside the traditional black and white options Apple already offers with the iPhone 5.

Gold parts purportedly for the "iPhone 5S" have appeared online numerous times in recent months. But a new color isn't the only thing coming to the next iPhone, according to Kuo.

goldie-2-130816.jpg

He also revealed that Apple will add a 128-gigabyte option to the iPhone lineup, while the "iPhone 5S" is expected to feature a larger f2.0 aperture camera lens and dual LED flash for better pictures in low-light situations. The device is also expected to sport a new A7 chip that could improve battery life with efficiency improved by 20 percent.

And the "iPhone 5S" is widely expected to feature a new fingerprint scanner hidden underneath the device's home button. That would allow the device to securely identify a user without the need to enter or memorize a password or unique code.

As for the new gold iPhone color, MG Siegler of TechCrunch has speculated that a such a device could perform particularly well in China and India, where the color is very popular. In that sense, a gold iPhone could encourage some users to choose Apple's latest high-end smartphone.
post #2 of 113
Still looks to me like a lady gaga color. Might sell well in some countries like Dubai maybe were gold relates to glamour & glitz 1smile.gif
post #3 of 113

I'll celebrate with a bubbly, if true.

post #4 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

Still looks to me like a lady gaga color. Might sell well in some countries like Dubai maybe were gold relates to glamour & glitz 1smile.gif

Some people claim that the gold color is particularly attractive in China.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #5 of 113
Champagne Supernova.
post #6 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

What still looks like a lady gaga color? You haven't even seen it yet.

Once again, hooray for Ming chi Kuo. He was right before everyone.
post #7 of 113
If this is true, I would make it "Exhibit A" in the case that Apple is losing is its design sensibilities.
post #8 of 113

If true, this is going to fuel more of the "iPhone owners are shallow/sheep/brand wh*res" arguments.  Not that I care, but it's such a tiresome stereotype when you're someone who actually knows a lot about technology and still prefers an iPhone.

post #9 of 113
It also makes sense if they're dumping the iPhone 5 in favor of the 5C. Better margins at that price, although those leaked casings don't look the price of an iPhone 5.
post #10 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

If this is true, I would make it "Exhibit A" in the case that Apple is losing is its design sensibilities.
I have a sister who would buy this in a heartbeat. I have a nephew who has an iPhone and uses a gold case. MG Siegler said gold is one of the most popular after market color options for the iPhone. If Apple is releasing a gold/champagne iPhone there's a reason behind it and they've done their homework on it. All the people that think this is going to be some cheap gaudy looking device obviously don't know Apple.

9to5Mac has a nice mockup of what a champagne colored iPhone might look like. I think it looks very classy.

gold.jpg
post #11 of 113
if you need to go out of your way to call it 'elegant' - - - - we have a problem Houston!
post #12 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

Looking forward to seeing a site showing your personal design genius that's already produced more income than anything except for oil companies.

Waiting with baited breath.

FWIW, gold is a tricky color to pull off. It can indeed be garish, but it can also be absolutely gorgeous.

How's about we see what it looks like before getting all superior?

post #13 of 113
This will swiftly become the most stolen iPhone. Looks like Lil' Wayne's mouth.

;-)
post #14 of 113
Here's most likely what the color of the device will be:

NewImage3.png
post #15 of 113

If they want to go with a champagne gold color then go all the way. I don't like the white face. While using the phone all you would see is the white on the front which defeats the purpose of offering a new color. 

post #16 of 113

Gold? No, thanks! LOL

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

post #17 of 113

A lot of people will pick that color of the 3 options. I might not, but a lot of people will.

post #18 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

If they want to go with a champagne gold color then go all the way. I don't like the white face. While using the phone all you would see is the white on the front which defeats the purpose of offering a new color. 

Having seen mockups of both (and they both look good), I'd have to say -- obviously only one data point -- that the one with the contrasting white looks classier. To quote Ireland, it looks exquisite.

post #19 of 113
Quote:

Not really, the color choice gets old really fast when you have to stare at in the background of everything you look at on the screen. 

The face of the device should always maintain a black or white background to the screen. Color is nice on the sides and back.

post #20 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkqd1337 View Post

if you need to go out of your way to call it 'elegant' - - - - we have a problem Houston!

Apple hasn't said ANYTHING. This is just the rumor mill circle jerking and photoshopping pics.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #21 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

Gold? No, thanks! LOL

Um... I am sure they'll have it in your color of choice.

post #22 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Having seen mockups of both (and they both look good), I'd have to say -- obviously only one data point -- that the one with the contrasting white looks classier.
I agree with you. Having the glass be off white or more cream colored made the device look washed out and almost an antique feel to it. Also how would the white background of iOS 7 contrast to an off white or goldish colored screen?
post #23 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Waiting with baited breath.

The bait on your breath reeks; go wait somewhere else until the odor abates.

;-)

post #24 of 113
...comes with a gold tooth.
post #25 of 113

Oprah will order it , be put on back order, and call Apple racist. 

Where's the new Apple TV?

Where's the new Apple TV?
post #26 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Not really, the color choice gets old really fast when you have to stare at in the background of everything you look at on the screen. 

The face of the device should always maintain a black or white background to the screen. Color is nice on the sides and back.

I disagree and think that people that would be attracted to this color would prefer a uniform color just like the white and black versions of the iPhone offer. It is all personal taste but I just don't like the contrast and see no reason why the front face has to stick with black or white. This is after all the part of your phone that you view the most and if you wanted a white iPhone why not just get one. 

Part of the problem is also just the relatively large part of the front face that is occupied at the bottom around the home button as well as at the top around the speaker and isight. It doesn't look like Apple will make any drastic changes to the case design of the next iPhone but I would like to see them shrink the amount of real estate not used by the display. The chin and forehead just occupy too much space but at least black makes it hardly noticeable and almost invisible. 

post #27 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

;-)

To me, the color looks more like Granny's minivan. If they do make it, I hope it looks better in person

I would like to see a copper one. Let it build up that nice patina over time. I don't know if that's even electronically do-able.

edited for spelling error.
Edited by BigBillyGoatGruff - 8/19/13 at 11:40am
post #28 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

;-)

Let it build up that nice petina over time.

Hmmm.... does one petina a Billy Goat or patina a Billy Goat.....

1wink.gif

post #29 of 113
like color really matters. after cracking my screen, twice, iphone now sits in an otterbox.

what good is a flashy back, no matter how gorgeous that damn gold looks, when you cant show it off. besides, im more interested in IOS 7 then the actual hardware upgrade.
post #30 of 113
I call prior art ¡

I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #31 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hmmm.... does one petina a Billy Goat or patina a Billy Goat.....

1wink.gif

Yes, one does...
post #32 of 113
I doubt they'll have THREE options. Too many SKUs.

I'd imaging they'll drop the Black for the 5S (black will still be available for the 5C) and go with just Silver and Gold. Why? Two reasons:

1) iOS 7 appears to look better with a white face.

2) The black/slate shows much more scuffs than its white counterpart. This isn't just a customer satisfaction thing, but a quality control issue. Didn't we hear that a good percentage of iP5's were returned to get refinished?
post #33 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The shade of gold expected to be used in a new color option for Apple's next iPhone has been described as having an "elegant" look, not the flashy, tacky finish popular with the Escalade-driving, gold-teeth wearing, ghetto crowd.

Fixed that for you AI.  If anyone can make "gold" appear elegant and classy, it will be Apple.  It will be interesting to see how well it sells.  I give it 36 hours for Samsung to re-calibrate their copy machines to match that color. :)

post #34 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

in the words of Jack Sparrow, 'you clearly haven't been to Singapore'.... or Middle East or any Asian country - gold covers and gold plated phones are an electronic signature of social status for the rich

I would buy it, but this is on contrary a very smart move for specific markets... start countdown for Samsung and Nokia launching their own 'gold' phone

post #35 of 113
Worst case, it doesn't sell. No big deal. Still have the white and black versions.
post #36 of 113

Honda's 'gold' was called 'Champagne Metallic' in the 90's.   I had a 94 Accord wagon, and loved the color.  Subtle, yet a beautiful hue. 

That said, I'm not fond of Apple selling anything other than 'white/silver' or black/slate, especially on a their flagship device (too many choices).   I'm hoping this shade is just one of the 5c colors.  But the '(Red)' brand served them well, with the underlying message, so I'll defer to their marketing mavens.

Just make me buy the damned thing... something that makes my 4s just melt into a pool of disgusting grey market goo in my hands during the announcement.  My wife's 5 is 'okay,' (oh that LTE is spiffy fast when it's spiffy fast), but I expect the 5s(g) to be a something that is faster than fast, lighter than light, stronger than strong, brighter than bright, harmonically harmonic, and amazing in all ways imaginable, with amazing built-in technologies that makes the lines around the Mall of America shudder in anticipation.

All that and Champagne.... yeah, I don't want much.

post #37 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I call prior art ¡

So Apple invented gold now? /s

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #38 of 113
As Long as I can get it in black I don't care.
post #39 of 113
Color is not going to be the main selling point of this device. iOS 7 will be more important than even the scanner. Lets remember that functionality and bells and whistles are what people like the best and hopefully iOS 7 brings out the best.
post #40 of 113
Quote:

When using the phone the major color element is probably the dominant colors of the wallpaper the user chose. Especially for this implementation of iOS with it's translucent approach.

For me? My iPhone will still be bright green: the color of my Otterbox casing.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's new gold option for 'iPhone 5S' described as an 'elegant' shade of champagne
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's new gold option for 'iPhone 5S' described as an 'elegant' shade of champagne