or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's new gold option for 'iPhone 5S' described as an 'elegant' shade of champagne

Apple's new gold option for 'iPhone 5S' described as an 'elegant' shade of champagne - Page 3

post #81 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Like Harry Solomon on 3rd rock from the sun -- my favorite color is clear.

A completely clear case, so you could marvel at the compact packaging would be sooooo cool!

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #82 of 113
I haven't seen anyone mention this...

Beginning with the iPhone 1, I always bought the largest storage option.

We all have 64 GB iPad 2 or newer (2 adults and 3 kids).

Last time I bought new iPhones (4, 4S and 5) for the grandkids I bought the smallest storage options -- considering that we all have the largest iPads to contain all their apps. The grandkids are only allowed to run anything that accesses the web if they are running over WiFi. Minimal storage on the iPhones tends to fortify this policy.

This time I will likely buy a personal iPhone 5S with minimum storage -- All the apps I run are on my iPad and I take it wherever I go -- so I have no need for the extra storage.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #83 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Lots of people in the Bay Area like that color of gold.

sf-49ers-authentic.jpg

God, these fucking California references are getting more obnoxious all the time.  

post #84 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Its plane, No, its a bird, No, it Superphone, Who the frak cares really, still have to put a case around it

So what's new? Superman still wears his Fruit of the Looms outside his tights. Rumor has it, he loves everyone to see his big red ess.

post #85 of 113
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #86 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

If this is true, I would make it "Exhibit A" in the case that Apple is losing is its design sensibilities.

I don't mind the color... but the white face??? and unfinished bands on the back... wtf???

I don't believe these photos to be real of a finished product. No chance Apple releases a phone looking like that.

post #87 of 113

Maybe those 5C cases were for the Champagne model all along ;-)

post #88 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

If they want to go with a champagne gold color then go all the way. I don't like the white face. While using the phone all you would see is the white on the front which defeats the purpose of offering a new color. 

Exactly my sentiments.

The back looks cheap with the different color bands as well. Looks unfinished.

post #89 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

I don't mind the color... but the white face??? and unfinished bands on the back... wtf???

I don't believe these photos to be real of a finished product. No chance Apple releases a phone looking like that.

no one has seen the glass yet.  maybe it's orange or yellow for all we know.

post #90 of 113
My wife wants one bad. There's another vote for gold. I'm sticking with scratchtastic black. 1smile.gif

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #91 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

So what's new? Superman still wears his Fruit of the Looms outside his tights. Rumor has it, he loves everyone to see his big red ess.
Actually, the red tights have been gone since DC relaunched the character in 2011.
post #92 of 113

It's a rumour, guys. 

post #93 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeliever2 View Post

Quote:

Actually, the red tights have been gone since DC relaunched the character in 2011.

I'll play…

That means Safeway Supermarket is the "home of the big red ess".

Or, maybe:

Edited by Dick Applebaum - 8/19/13 at 4:03pm
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #94 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Quote:

Lots of people in the Bay Area like that color of gold.

sf-49ers-authentic.jpg
God, these fucking California references are getting more obnoxious all the time.  

Cheer up! Maybe some company from an anti-American country will make a donut pillow cover that color and then you can have something to match the gold iPhone.
post #95 of 113
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'll play…

Or, maybe:

Say, Dick, isn't the corporate headquarters of Safeway located in Pleasanton, CA.? I consulted for a while at their DP shop in Oakland, CA right near where the freeway collapsed in that earthquake.
post #96 of 113
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'll play…

Or, maybe:

Say, Dick, isn't the corporate headquarters of Safeway located in Pleasanton, CA.? I consulted for a while at their DP shop in Oakland, CA right near where the freeway collapsed in that earthquake.

Why yes it is.

When I was with IBM, Safeway HQ was in Oakland. I worked with them on a special project... DP was kinda' out in the boonies and had duplexed everything, computers, data files, power backup, power sources, communication lines... IBM loved 'em!

It was 1970, and IBM had built a special computer, the 29/SM. It was designed to be in the back room of a supermarket and control substitutes for cash registers (no barcodes in those days).

We installed and tested it in the training store basement of the Oakland location. Then, we installed a live system in the [then brand new] Fremont store * adjacent to the distribution center.

Only 2 checkout counters were active... But customers would line up to use these, because they printed itemized receipts.

Sadly, IBM cancelled the project... Sigh!

* Safeway had excellent meats... The Fremont store had a lunch counter -- you could buy a steak in the meat dept., and they would prepare it for you at the lunch counter.
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 8/19/13 at 5:12pm
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #97 of 113

Walk into any discount store and look at the ridiculous cases that are already sold.

In China this "bling-bling" phone would be the #1 smartphone in the country in 3 days.

post #98 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Champagne Supernova.

What's the story?

post #99 of 113
Quote:

The really sad thing... We must be geeks -- we're discussing the Safeway image [the big red ess sign] -- rather than the other image -- which, IMO, is a lot more interesting...
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 8/19/13 at 5:45pm
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #100 of 113

Bush Bush Bush, you just don't know many 14 year old girls do you? Especially not asian ones!

post #101 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Color is not going to be the main selling point of this device. iOS 7 will be more important than even the scanner. Lets remember that functionality and bells and whistles are what people like the best and hopefully iOS 7 brings out the best.

Bush, Bush, Bush. You don't really understand the psyche of 14 year old girls do you! Especially Asian 14 year old girls :)

post #102 of 113
Quote:

This makes no sense.

Black is the second most popular colour choice after white, and there is no evidence so far they are making a black iPhone 5c either.  

Personally, I'm starting to have severe doubts about this years phone choices from Apple.  A gold iPhone is still a bit tacky even if it's "champagne" and the latest on the fingerprint sensor indicates they are changing the shape of the home button from concave to flat which seems like an awful idea.  Neither of these choices seem worth it in terms of the damage they do to the overall iPhone design to implement them.  For me, this could be the first year I don't upgrade to the new phone.  I'd pick the 5c if it came in a nice colour but it doesn't. 
When did Apple announce they were getting rid of the black iPhone? Since the black and silver iPhone designs aren't new there isn't anything to leak. Same thing about the home button, no evidence of that either. Seems to me way too many people are making assumptions before they've actually seen the products that will be for sale.
post #103 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

When did Apple announce they were getting rid of the black iPhone? Since the black and silver iPhone designs aren't new there isn't anything to leak. Same thing about the home button, no evidence of that either. Seems to me way too many people are making assumptions before they've actually seen the products that will be for sale.

Some of the early rumors about the gold iPhone said that the gold model was replacing the black model.

But it seems now rumors are saying that the black model will probably live on as well. Let's hope it does anyway!
post #104 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Quote:

Some of the early rumors about the gold iPhone said that the gold model was replacing the black model.

But it seems now rumors are saying that the black model will probably live on as well. Let's hope it does anyway!

I suspect that the 5S will be available in black, white and gold!
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #105 of 113
Quote:

This makes no sense.

Black is the second most popular colour choice after white

In a two colour range?

Bwahahahahahahaha

I will NEVER pay $679 for an 8GB plastic cell phone
I will NEVER pay $679 for an 8GB plastic cell phone
post #106 of 113
Quote:

Black is the second most popular colour choice after white

For the iPhone?  Not a big surprise.

censored

censored

post #107 of 113
ZDNet has a hit piece up on their site about the rumored "gold" iPhone. In the piece they refer to Apple as a fashion company not a tech company and sarcastically claim that the "gold" iPhone might set a new fashion trend. At the end of the piece they wonder how Apple will announce this without all the tech press in room snickering in their seats. The piece overall is a joke. But to seriously answer that question, its a color option. Schiller will announce it at the very end either before or after he talks about pricing and availability. And for all we know there might be additional metallic color options. Maybe Apple decided to leak the "gold" one because they knew it would get a lot of buzz. And they know what they've designed is going to look so much better than mockups or the visions people have in their head.
post #108 of 113
I am curious to know what method they are using to make the champagne colour. I doubt they would be using actual gold, so I am wondering whether the process shares anything with what is described here:

http://www.seas.harvard.edu/news/2012/10/applied-physics-art

While the article describes changing the colour of gold, I suspect this could be applied to other metals?
post #109 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

So you have a pocket reserved just for your iPhone? All the time? Hmmm- OK. I guess whatever works for you. Your other pocket must be bulging then -no?

Virtually every man I know keeps his back jeans pocket allocated for his wallet. It is actually more bizarre that you would find allocating for a phone to be odd...  The reason a wallet is found in so many men's back pocket is because A) it is needed frequently, and when needed it is needed immediately, and B) it need not be in the front pocket because it is not needed THAT frequently...you want it on you but you don't want to be thinking about it all the time. Why do you find it odd that a phone, which these days is used by many people multiple times per hour, would be allocated its own pocket. More, what on earth is causing your pockets to bulge? How many little trivial things are you carrying around with you that you presume to need frequently and at any moment? If your argument is that it is odd to allocate a pocket to a phone...what random list of items are you allocating to your pockets instead? Why? You need them more than your phone?

For the record, I have never used a case, I do allocate my right pocket (I'm right handed, so...), and I use a suede jacket made specifically for the iphone (sfbags.com)...keeps the screen clean and protects against scratches.

post #110 of 113
Quote:

ZDNet has a hit piece up on their site about the rumored "gold" iPhone. In the piece they refer to Apple as a fashion company not a tech company and sarcastically claim that the "gold" iPhone might set a new fashion trend. At the end of the piece they wonder how Apple will announce this without all the tech press in room snickering in their seats. The piece overall is a joke. But to seriously answer that question, its a color option. Schiller will announce it at the very end either before or after he talks about pricing and availability. And for all we know there might be additional metallic color options. Maybe Apple decided to leak the "gold" one because they knew it would get a lot of buzz. And they know what they've designed is going to look so much better than mockups or the visions people have in their head.

I wouldn’t care too much about it.  The iPad was a joke too, but look who’s laughing now?

post #111 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

I am curious to know what method they are using to make the champagne colour. I doubt they would be using actual gold, so I am wondering whether the process shares anything with what is described here:

http://www.seas.harvard.edu/news/2012/10/applied-physics-art

While the article describes changing the colour of gold, I suspect this could be applied to other metals?

No. That would be very expensive.

The process is most likely an anodizing process.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=anodized+aluminum+gold&qpvt=anodized+aluminum+gold&FORM=IGRE
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #112 of 113
Quote:

I have a sister who would buy this in a heartbeat. I have a nephew who has an iPhone and uses a gold case. MG Siegler said gold is one of the most popular after market color options for the iPhone. If Apple is releasing a gold/champagne iPhone there's a reason behind it and they've done their homework on it. All the people that think this is going to be some cheap gaudy looking device obviously don't know Apple.

9to5Mac has a nice mockup of what a champagne colored iPhone might look like. I think it looks very classy.

gold.jpg

It's a nice colour. Looks warmer that metal grey. I'm apparently a bit tired with aluminium-everywhere hype (not only among Apple products), so I would consider it (if I decide to get a new iPhone)...
post #113 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

Virtually every man I know keeps his back jeans pocket allocated for his wallet. It is actually more bizarre that you would find allocating for a phone to be odd...  The reason a wallet is found in so many men's back pocket is because A) it is needed frequently, and when needed it is needed immediately, and B) it need not be in the front pocket because it is not needed THAT frequently...you want it on you but you don't want to be thinking about it all the time. Why do you find it odd that a phone, which these days is used by many people multiple times per hour, would be allocated its own pocket. More, what on earth is causing your pockets to bulge? How many little trivial things are you carrying around with you that you presume to need frequently and at any moment? If your argument is that it is odd to allocate a pocket to a phone...what random list of items are you allocating to your pockets instead? Why? You need them more than your phone?

For the record, I have never used a case, I do allocate my right pocket (I'm right handed, so...), and I use a suede jacket made specifically for the iphone (sfbags.com)...keeps the screen clean and protects against scratches.
I'm with you. Front left pocket is my phone, front right are keys, back right is wallet. What else would you have? Your a guy.,, it's not like we have baby wipes, mascara, and tampons. Maybe he does? 1wink.gif

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's new gold option for 'iPhone 5S' described as an 'elegant' shade of champagne
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's new gold option for 'iPhone 5S' described as an 'elegant' shade of champagne